Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you scam you will be punished is a lie, scamming allowed in GW2

Comments

• ZhylawZhylaw Member Posts: 115
    People comparing this to real world analogies make me laugh. This isn't the real world that is the whole point. Online Gaming communities are the wild west and your sopposed to know this. Secure methods of trading exist for a reason and if you ignore them you take your chances.
    It is the OP's fault for being naive, there really isn't any more to it.
  • SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by Halohead

I think the OP was just trying to take advantage of a system that is in most MMOs, but sadly absent from GW2. I mean, the usual economic system is that you use the AH for convenience and actual inter-character trading when you want the good deals. In other MMOs I would always put the stuff I wanted to sell on the auction house because I just wanted to post it and forget. I didn't want to spend hours spamming offers or browsing chats for buyers just to make a better profit, I usually had better shit to do.

Guild Wars 2 should offer that same choice. The OP took the time to look for and find a better deal than what the TP was offering (although it wasn't authentic), if the game actually supported a trading system where two windows opened up, he put in the gold, the other guy put in the ectos, and both players clicked confirm, then the OP should've gotten it. That's the way the game should be, not risk for reward, but more time and commitment for better profit.

That being said, the OP is still at fault for sending in the entirety of his gold in the mail to a complete stranger and hoping the guy has integrity. I won't call him an idiot for it, it can happen to anyone, even happened to me once. It's just a lesson everyone learns sooner or later.

I disagree with the second paragraph. I don't think GW2 should have both systems, and I think the current system is superior.  The OP did not "take the time" to look for and find a better deal, they got caught up in a scam performed by multiple players pretending to be trading stuff, so that they could scam them out of all their gold.  The TP is far superior, direct player to player transactions are only needed for scam artists.

The Tp is superior with its 15% gold sink? It is an AH like all other games have, they just want to MAKE you use it so there is a gold sink in the game. "Superior" would not be the word for it, I would call it a scam ran by ArenaNet.

Face to Face trading is the best way to trade, I can get better deals and I don't pay a tax, I pay that person directly and both items switch hands at the same time. Its very hard to be scammed in a trade menu with the other player standing right infront of you. I don't have to trust the other player because I can see the item right in the trade menu.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Zoyita

Sad but true, as the title said. I trusted another player that where gonna sell me ectos for 50gold. 50 gold all i had, sent by mail gone forever. I had screenshots, all the conversation, everything.

Do not trust other people in this game, he had my trust and look what he did. This Arena.net reply.

Well it doesnt have a happy ending you guys will not believe the answer. I didnt even bother to say anything in the official forums because that would get me ban. Here is the answer: Scamming is Allowed on GW2

Hello Zoyita,

Thanks for contacting the Guild Wars Game Support Team.

We understand that some transactions take place in the game world often involve a certain element of trust. A player will need to place trust in another player to fulfill his or her end of an agreement. Occasionally a player will go back on an agreement or act in a less-than-honest manner. Such acts are matters over which we have no control of and cannot take corrective measures. If a player does not live up to his or her end of an agreement we are unable to force that player to do so.

If you have additional questions please let us know.

Regards,
    GM Sparse
    Guild Wars Support Team

----
    I played other games where scammers where punished, i guess not this one. I already have 30G back from the 50G i lost but is sad that someone can be a villain and GW2 wont make justice, just like in the real world where the bad guy win. This just gives me a feeling like ill be playing and feeling everyone is bad around me some kind of sensation i didnt had before, world is already cruel and corrupted why our games have to be to? if someone have the power not politic involved to solve, punish and teach a lesson to the bad guys.

read and think before you close a deal.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• RiftstarRiftstar Member UncommonPosts: 22

Reminds me of Dark Wolves in DAoC...

http://www.darkwolvesgaming.com/?p=92#more-92

Playing: MWO
    Waiting For: Star Citizen

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Serenes

I think the OP was just trying to take advantage of a system that is in most MMOs, but sadly absent from GW2. I mean, the usual economic system is that you use the AH for convenience and actual inter-character trading when you want the good deals. In other MMOs I would always put the stuff I wanted to sell on the auction house because I just wanted to post it and forget. I didn't want to spend hours spamming offers or browsing chats for buyers just to make a better profit, I usually had better shit to do.

Guild Wars 2 should offer that same choice. The OP took the time to look for and find a better deal than what the TP was offering (although it wasn't authentic), if the game actually supported a trading system where two windows opened up, he put in the gold, the other guy put in the ectos, and both players clicked confirm, then the OP should've gotten it. That's the way the game should be, not risk for reward, but more time and commitment for better profit.

That being said, the OP is still at fault for sending in the entirety of his gold in the mail to a complete stranger and hoping the guy has integrity. I won't call him an idiot for it, it can happen to anyone, even happened to me once. It's just a lesson everyone learns sooner or later.

I disagree with the second paragraph. I don't think GW2 should have both systems, and I think the current system is superior.  The OP did not "take the time" to look for and find a better deal, they got caught up in a scam performed by multiple players pretending to be trading stuff, so that they could scam them out of all their gold.  The TP is far superior, direct player to player transactions are only needed for scam artists.

The Tp is superior with its 15% gold sink? It is an AH like all other games have, they just want to MAKE you use it so there is a gold sink in the game. "Superior" would not be the word for it, I would call it a scam ran by ArenaNet.

Face to Face trading is the best way to trade, I can get better deals and I don't pay a tax, I pay that person directly and both items switch hands at the same time. Its very hard to be scammed in a trade menu with the other player standing right infront of you. I don't have to trust the other player because I can see the item right in the trade menu.

Sure!  Yeppers! My goodness, nobody ever cheats a person with a direct trade! IT is sooo much easier to turn around and ask a person how much he wants for it, then spam global for a pricecheck, or go online to see what people are currently paying for something (or at least the last time someone posted how much they paid) instead of having a localized TP where you can see in real time what people are selling the item at.

I guarantee you, the 15% vendor fee is a savings from how much you would get scammed constantly.  You can pretend that the person gave you a good deal all you want when you have nothing to compare it to.  Gotta love playing blind.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I assume you must be young.  Take this as a life lesson and move on.  You don't just give people money before recieving your product.
  • ZoyitaZoyita Member Posts: 119

I told the GM to investigate my account, on my mail theres a mail of this person who scammed me offering me stuff, ill show it.

If you guys wann see all the screenshot i can post them here i have no problem with that, if they dont want to refund me is ok but the thing here is i submit this ticket on december 27 (it happened on december 26, i gave the dude 8 hours to send me my 50 gold or what i bought, the ectos). Hes been peacefully playing since then even yesterday, even today. I want him punished, i was in a party full of others players like me, that he was trying to convince to send him stuff first.

Like a friend of mine said:

For a game that has gotten so much attention and #1 game of the year along with #1 highest reviews u would think they could at least hold together a community without scammers. If scammers see this it only encourages it more because now they know there is no trouble involved.

I met this guy in Lions Arch i was talking about ectos etc. and he pmed me he sold me 50 ectos for 13G, he delivered. I upgraded by fractal back to beta (i tought was the last upgrade) the back didnt shined... i went to the GW2 wiki and read there that i needed 250 ectos more... that guy pm me again and told me if i needed more ectos i said yes, i joined a party full of people , some people left one stayed and pmed me (Did this guy really sent your ectos for 13G the 50? - i said yes [what can i do i cannot lie he did sent them] he didnt rob or anything YET.) so i sent the 50 gold for the 240 ectos. He made me wait 2 hours, i gave him brake i went to shower was midnight here, i couldnt wait anymore had to go to sleep i told him to give me the 50g back or the ectos, he said he got stucked in the north JP on LA, i told him just teleport out then, he said i have no gold, i sent him 3 silver more i was so scared and sad already sniffing the betray. he logged off. hes from Maguuma server his name is Deadmaumau, you can see his info in my screenshot. I sent like 7 screenshot to the GM with conversation, with what he said and what i told him. The GM can log in my account and verify the mail log and chat and get all the evidence they need.

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274
    Hate to say it but scammers are in every mmo. I certainly would not do any trading with another player unless its face to face so you know what you are getting. I feel for the OP but he made a golden mistake by sending gold through the mail without receiving the item.....
  • AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274
    oh and be careful about posting his info because more than likely you can get banned yourself doing that. It really really sucks you got ripped off but man dont send gold for items through the mail. Do it in game face to face. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Cursedsei
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by nate1980

You guys make me sick. Talk about blame the victim. So if you all walk down an alley one night after you got drunk at a bar, and get mugged, I guess the cops should just say, " it's your own fault for walking through a dark alley at night."

People and developers should always be striving to do the right thing. The right thing for the developers to do is to suspend that person and give this guy his gold back. GW2, nor does any other game, need people like that in their games.

This is the attitude of most of the GW2 fans on this forum, you cant say anything negative about ArenaNet or GW2. Look how quickly they turn one of their own, it says it all about the majority of GW2 fans.e

I dont' think there is a person here who isn't sympathetic to the OP.

Yes their is, you choose to not see it.

1) Fixed the coloring, don't be some pathetic twat adding in black text on dark backgrounds.

2) Reading comprehension, look into it.

He said he doesn't think there is a person in this topic who isn't sympathetic. As in, he thinks everyone here is sympathetic towards what happened to the OP, though they have different ways of showing it.

Some agree it sucks, but its the fault of the OP to begin with, some think the scammer should be punished and OP reimbursed, while others think that both the scammer should be punished while the OP isn't reimbursed because it was their fault.

"This".

There are certainly sucky people in the world but from what I've seen, a good many people are decent and certainly don't wish harm on others. I bet dollars to donuts that most people in this thread don't actively wish harm or condone harm on others.

Having said that, everyone has a different view on these subjects.

Like the neighbor of a friend who ALWAYS LEFT HER DOORS OPEN and NEVER LOCKED HER DOORS/WINDOWS when she left the house, even though the neighborhood was slightly sketchy.

So what happened?

On three separate occassions she was robbed because of her stupidity. on top of that, my friends were almost robbed becasue they came in through her aprtment, went up the back steps and tried to break open their back door.

Do I wish her to get robbed? no. Did I take joy in her getting robbed? Not at all. Do I think she should have been more aware and realize that leaving doors and windows open is an invitation to others to waltz in and help themselves? Certainly.

I do NOT condone people schlepping through life and then moaning and complaining because they didn't take precautions and therefore suffered horrible consequences.

If you are standing on the street and someone attacks you, that's horrible. If you are standing on the street in a bad neighborhood while you count your money in the open and somone robs you then "that's horrible" but wtf where you thinking!?!?!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Cursedsei

You guys make me sick. Talk about blame the victim. So if you all walk down an alley one night after you got drunk at a bar, and get mugged, I guess the cops should just say, " it's your own fault for walking through a dark alley at night."

People and developers should always be striving to do the right thing. The right thing for the developers to do is to suspend that person and give this guy his gold back. GW2, nor does any other game, need people like that in their games.

This is the attitude of most of the GW2 fans on this forum, you cant say anything negative about ArenaNet or GW2. Look how quickly they turn one of their own, it says it all about the majority of GW2 fans.e

I dont' think there is a person here who isn't sympathetic to the OP.

Yes their is, you choose to not see it.

1) Fixed the coloring, don't be some pathetic twat adding in black text on dark backgrounds.

2) Reading comprehension, look into it.

He said he doesn't think there is a person in this topic who isn't sympathetic. As in, he thinks everyone here is sympathetic towards what happened to the OP, though they have different ways of showing it.

Some agree it sucks, but its the fault of the OP to begin with, some think the scammer should be punished and OP reimbursed, while others think that both the scammer should be punished while the OP isn't reimbursed because it was their fault.

"This".

There are certainly sucky people in the world but from what I've seen, a good many people are decent and certainly don't wish harm on others. I bet dollars to donuts that most people in this thread don't actively wish harm or condone harm on others.

Having said that, everyone has a different view on these subjects.

Like the neighbor of a friend who ALWAYS LEFT HER DOORS OPEN and NEVER LOCKED HER DOORS/WINDOWS when she left the house, even though the neighborhood was slightly sketchy.

So what happened?

On three separate occassions she was robbed because of her stupidity. on top of that, my friends were almost robbed becasue they came in through her aprtment, went up the back steps and tried to break open their back door.

Do I wish her to get robbed? no. Did I take joy in her getting robbed? Not at all. Do I think she should have been more aware and realize that leaving doors and windows open is an invitation to others to waltz in and help themselves? Certainly.

I do NOT condone people schlepping through life and then moaning and complaining because they didn't take precautions and therefore suffered horrible consequences.

If you are standing on the street and someone attacks you, that's horrible. If you are standing on the street in a bad neighborhood while you count your money in the open and somone robs you then "that's horrible" but wtf where you thinking!?!?!

Such a shame that this is the view our society takes in maters like this. The criminal isent to blame, its the victims fault.

"What a shame that girl got raped. Well maybe if she wasnt dancing all sexy in the club she woundnt have been raped."

"What a shame that guy got robbed and shot. Well maybe he shouldnt have pulled his wallet out to pay for gas"

"What a shame that old woman got scammed. Well maybe if she wasnt old and had some sence she would have seen that guy coming"

Honestly i dont know what to say about some of you people. Since when is the victim the one on trial and not the criminal.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

Such a shame that this is the view our society takes in maters like this. The criminal isent to blame, its the victims fault.

"What a shame that girl got raped. Well maybe if she wasnt dancing all sexy in the club she woundnt have been raped."

"What a shame that guy got robbed and shot. Well maybe he shouldnt have pulled his wallet out to pay for gas"

"What a shame that old woman got scammed. Well maybe if she wasnt old and had some sence she would have seen that guy coming"

Honestly i dont know what to say about some of you people. Since when is the victim the one on trial and not the criminal.

There's a difference between your examples and people who knowingly put themselves in questionable situations and then expect a bailout when the inevitable happens.

Optional PvP = No PvP
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

There's a difference between your examples and people who knowingly put themselves in questionable situations and then expect a bailout when the inevitable happens.

A bailout? Its been awhile since i read the OP but did they want a bailout? I think the OP only wanted what anyone would want in these kinds of situations.... Justice.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

A bailout? Its been awhile since i read the OP but did they want a bailout? I think the OP only wanted what anyone would want in these kinds of situations.... Justice.

Justice? For what? Being gullible?

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Why not? What would it hurt?

People dogging OP and supporting scams? "I ran this scam in runescape for 2 years." wtf?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

The problem is you are not understanding a thing.

In a perfect world no one would be hurting anyone.

It is never a good thing when someone is wronged or someone is hurt. Can you understand this? Do you get this? I hope so. I don't believe most people here, myself included, would disagree.

However, when someone is hurt or slighted or wronged when they make bad decisions then it's still a horrible thing but one must ask why they thought they were immune?

In a perfect world a woman should be able to walk down the street and never once be hurt, insulted, slighted or even bothered.

But do we live in a perfect world? Are there not evil people about? And because of this don't we take precautions to mitigate some of the disasters that come our way?

Too many people claiming victim when, if they took a few minutes to think, they wouldn't be victims. you want to lump it all together. The "wrongness" of another being hurt is still wrong. No matter what. But when someone has not done their due dilligence, has not thought of the consequences of being in a bad area, trusting a stranger with their money or their loved ones, then that's an issue.

If you trust your kids with someone you know such as a family member, and something horrible happens then that's a travesty. If you let a complete stranger into your house, with no one recommending them, to look after your kids and something horrible happens then not only is that a travesty but negligence.

Do you understand this? If not then can I assume you live in that perfect world where people can walk down the street and not ever be hurt. And if you do then PLEASE let me know because I want to live in that world too.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    While I know other game's customer service departments have procedures in place to honor in-game transactions gone bad, I doubt GW2 has the tools or resources in place to do so.  It took Blizzard a long time to beef up their customer service department and it will most likely be the same for Anet (if they actually choose to).
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by bcbully

You should probably try to read to the end of the paragraph. Direct player to player transactions are only needed for scam artists.  The TP provides a safe way of selling and purchasing goods. Trustworthy people can trade within the mail system because they are honest. The only people that NEED direct player to player transactions are scam artists.

And if you think that having an option for direct player to player trading would stops scams, you are horrendously mistaken.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    -snip-

-snip-

People dogging OP and supporting scams? "I ran this scam in runescape for 2 years." wtf?

Wouldn't say I'm supporting scams, it was 10 years ago, I was 15-16 years old, obviously, things change...

But I do think that it is OP's own fault, and this is why:

Everyone knows the environment they're playing in, everyone knows that it's a game, and that there are no consequences for doing bad things.

With this in mind, you would never even think about sending a stranger 50g, and expect a mail back.

If nothing else, OP got a lesson, and will probably (I hope) be more careful with who s/he trust, in the future.

Last time i checked, being gullible wasent a crime. So why punish those because someone took advantage of them? Punish those that take advantage of others.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Last time i checked, being gullible wasent a crime. So why punish those because someone took advantage of them? Punish those that take advantage of others.

Isn't it better to get the lesson in a video game?

In EVE, (Yes I went there) it's part of the game, some even consider it skill, taking down corperations by rising through their ranks and cleaning their hangar, can take months, in some cases years.. For some, this is the whole game.

If you don't want to fall victim to any of this, just use common sense. <- That works for any game, IRL too!

@OP

Send me 25g, and I'll send you double back.. I've quit GW2, but I like to see who would be so kind as to help strangers like I, and if they do, I reward them twofold.

The problem is you are not understanding a thing.

In a perfect world no one would be hurting anyone.

It is never a good thing when someone is wronged or someone is hurt. Can you understand this? Do you get this? I hope so. I don't believe most people here, myself included, would disagree.

However, when someone is hurt or slighted or wronged when they make bad decisions then it's still a horrible thing but one must ask why they thought they were immune?

In a perfect world a woman should be able to walk down the street and never once be hurt, insulted, slighted or even bothered.

But do we live in a perfect world? Are there not evil people about? And because of this don't we take precautions to mitigate some of the disasters that come our way?

Too many people claiming victim when, if they took a few minutes to think, they wouldn't be victims. you want to lump it all together. The "wrongness" of another being hurt is still wrong. No matter what. But when someone has not done their due dilligence, has not thought of the consequences of being in a bad area, trusting a stranger with their money or their loved ones, then that's an issue.

If you trust your kids with someone you know such as a family member, and something horrible happens then that's a travesty. If you let a complete stranger into your house, with no one recommending them, to look after your kids and something horrible happens then not only is that a travesty but negligence.

Do you understand this? If not then can I assume you live in that perfect world where people can walk down the street and not ever be hurt. And if you do then PLEASE let me know because I want to live in that world too.

LOL. Its you who doesnt understand. Its not the perfect world but how we conduct ourselves when someone is wronged. Your quick to blame the victim and not the criminal.

And i dont know what i said that prompted you to say RED. Another missunderstaning on your part?

I know people dont always take the necesary precautions to make sure people take care of themselves but is that any excuses to absolve the criminal of any wrong doin because the victim was in the wong place at the wrong time?

That was what i was trying to convay in my previous post. That it seems like everyone is prosecuting the victim and not the criminal. Shame on you.

LOL. Its you who doesnt understand. Its not the perfect world but how we conduct ourselves when someone is wronged. Your quick to blame the victim and not the criminal.

And i dont know what i said that prompted you to say RED. Another missunderstaning on your part?

I know people dont always take the necesary precautions to make sure people take care of themselves but is that any excuses to absolve the criminal of any wrong doin because the victim was in the wong place at the wrong time?

That was what i was trying to convay in my previous post. That it seems like everyone is prosecuting the victim and not the criminal. Shame on you.

How about this, when someone is wronged then I blame the criminal. When somene is wronged because of bad decisions on their part, then I blame the criminal and I then call negligence on the victim.

You think a family who leaves their kids with known, violent crack heads isn't going to be questioned by the judge when something horrible happens?

Shame on me? Well, I suppose that's what you would say when you think people can act however they want and never take responsibility for their actions.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Uh, YES.

If you choose to walk down a dark alley at night with impaired senses, what do you think is going to happen? Some fairy is going to show up and give you a unicorn to ride?

Stupidity isn't an excuse nor does it absolve you from responsibility.

Exactly. For every action/inaction there is a consequence.   People are responsible for their own actions. This fellow didn't use good judgement, so as a consequence was taken. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You should probably try to read to the end of the paragraph. Direct player to player transactions are only needed for scam artists.  The TP provides a safe way of selling and purchasing goods. Trustworthy people can trade within the mail system because they are honest. The only people that NEED direct player to player transactions are scam artists.

And if you think that having an option for direct player to player trading would stops scams, you are horrendously mistaken.

7 years of mmorpg player to player trading,  and I've never been scammed.  , [lock], [confirm], you can't be scammed. Isn't player interaction a good thing. Isn't that one of the top 10 complaints about gw2? 

What I'm saying is, more options to interact is a good thing. Why all the sudden direct player interaction, and scam artists be paired? Is it because direct player trade is not offered in gw2? I know you love the game, but having more options can't possible take away from the experience, and be a bad thing.

Having a window is the best suggestion that's came out of this thread.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"