Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it deep, or just confusing?

PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

I see a lot of threads about this game lately... So it kinda made me interested.

But I'd just like to know if the game really have a lot of depth, since people keep asking how to do stuff, or if it's just that everything is a mess.

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I think its a combination of depth a poor "tutorial" and bad translation. The tutorial really fails to even tell you the game basics. Not to mention everything seems to have a chinese name which can be tough to distinguish and or remember. Im still on the fence on this game. Maybe when the one hour play restriction is lifted I'll be less irritated with the game and give it more of an extended chance..
  • itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Dont worry Pie. "Some" MMORPG user will come to your rescue soon enough and explain everything about the game to you then should you decide its not a game you are interested in that same user will say its because you like themeparks or you arent mature enough or its too hardcore for you anyways image
  • PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Originally posted by Mardukk I think its a combination of depth a poor "tutorial" and bad translation. The tutorial really fails to even tell you the game basics. Not to mention everything seems to have a chinese name which can be tough to distinguish and or remember. Im still on the fence on this game. Maybe when the one hour play restriction is lifted I'll be less irritated with the game and give it more of an extended chance..

Alright, that would explain why all those threads are being made. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Originally posted by itbewilly Dont worry Pie. "Some" MMORPG user will come to your rescue soon enough and explain everything about the game to you then should you decide its not a game you are interested in that same user will say its because you like themeparks or you arent mature enough or its too hardcore for you anyways 

Heh, I've been around mmorpg.com for a while, I know how it works.

But I don't care what people think about me.

I'm a boss.

• JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120

It's simple in what you do, in regards to tasks as almost all I have encountered thus far only give you one option dialoge wise.

Understanding how leveling up things works and what is smart takes a lot of learning.  It has some appeal, but it gets old quick due to the open PvP.  Right after you start out, every 5-10 minutes in town, someone comes along and kills you in a few shots.  Then you have to wait on a 15 minute debuff, which can stack up to 5 times, to wear off.

I like PvP, but good grief when going through the tutorial and first few missions, getting slaughtered while in dialog it takes out the enjoyment.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I would say both.  You can certainly play at a level that makes it similar to other sandboxy MMOs without getting confused - and it will likely get you very interested if you can get through the tutorial quests (similar to EVE).

There are parts that I have no clue about and they will require a LOT of reading outside of the game.  For example. . spying for your school etc.  What is "praying". . to me it looks like ways to enter PvP?  I just have no idea about how 60% of the game works. . but that has not stopped me from loving the 40% I do know and the rest will come.  I assume it will just add more to a game I am surprised to be enjoying so much.  I just wish it was medieval based (not fantasy. . medieval).

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Jojin

It's simple in what you do, in regards to tasks as almost all I have encountered thus far only give you one option dialoge wise.

Understanding how leveling up things works and what is smart takes a lot of learning.  It has some appeal, but it gets old quick due to the open PvP.  Right after you start out, every 5-10 minutes in town, someone comes along and kills you in a few shots.  Then you have to wait on a 15 minute debuff, which can stack up to 5 times, to wear off.

I like PvP, but good grief when going through the tutorial and first few missions, getting slaughtered while in dialog it takes out the enjoyment.

That sucks.  I must have lucked out.  I got through the tutorial, joined a a school and got to my schools town without any PvP at all.  I did get kidnapped when I was offline though and had to either take a crap job while offline or pay to "redeem" myself so I could make more money while offline.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

That sucks.  I must have lucked out.  I got through the tutorial, joined a a school and got to my schools town without any PvP at all.  I did get kidnapped when I was offline though and had to either take a crap job while offline or pay to "redeem" myself so I could make more money while offline.

I have to say I have had the same experience as you. Sorry to hear Jojin's experience but for what I can see (kidnaps aside, but that's different) there isn't much 'ganking' at least in town.

You realize murderers get hunted down and punished and that together with no Full Loot will discourage pointless ganking?

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

So many got use to the cookie cutter themepark games they dont know how to react to a real in depth game lol.

Its always confusing in the begining, but after a few days/weeks it becomes second nature. Just keep at it. Need to get that part of your brain working again image

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by muthax

I have to say I have had the same experience as you. Sorry to hear Jojin's experience but for what I can see (kidnaps aside, but that's different) there isn't much 'ganking' at least in town.

You realize murderers get hunted down and punished and that together with no Full Loot will discourage pointless ganking?

I really thought you couldn't get killed until your internal got to a certain level, I could be wrong but it doesn't jive with all this "got ganked on the first quest' stuff I keep hearing. Either that feature must not be working or people were slightly beyond that first quest. I never got ganked period until I was autopathing to an iron ore way way later in my development.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Onomas

So many got use to the cookie cutter themepark games they dont know how to react to a real in depth game lol.

Its always confusing in the begining, but after a few days/weeks it becomes second nature. Just keep at it. Need to get that part of your brain working again image

Who are these many? i am still failing to see what is so deep about the game though. If someone tells me EVE is deep i would understand but Age of Wushu is quite self explanatory and easy to figure out.

But then again what would be a sandbox MMO forums without a token 'it is just too deep for themepark crowd man...derp ' guy.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Many posts on here how to do something lol. There are many that need help. Glad you could figure it out, as did i. But some people just arent use to indpeth games. And yes themepark games hand you stuff and tell you where to go. Sandboxes are more open and have to figure things out more. So my statement is pretty clear and for the most part spot on. 
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

WHo are these many? i am still failign to see what is so deep about the game though. IF someone tells me EVE is deep i would understand but Age of Wushu is quite self explanatory and easy to figure out.

But then again what would be a sandbox MMO forums without a token 'it is just to deep man' guy.

I think some people are turned off by the lack of direction. If you go into this game and treat it like WoW or TSW or GW2...go look for a guy with a quest marker over his head and do it, look for the next guy, grind some random mobs, rinse and repeat well I could perfectly understand the complaints you here. "The combat is bad", "there is nothing to do" "There is no way to make money in this game".

If you however completely do not do those things, and instead find your way into many of the other activites that go on, school script stealing events, spy missions, patrols, guild wars, kidnapping, crafting. Well the combat vs players is a totally different experience than vs monkeys (which are more a living hunter node than anything) you can just spam a button and kill monkeys or dogs or whatever but you will get knocked down and out if you try that vs anyone real. There is some video review and the guy just keeps doing quests and hunting npc's the entire time. On the one hand I understand, this is what we have done for awhile now, but it is not the best way to experience this kind of game. I did my starter quests and my school quests but other than that I go days without accepting a standard MMO quest, and you never grind out npc's unless you are looking for some specific crafting item they drop...there isn't a point to doing so.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

I have yet to see anything at all that discourages pointless ganking in any game to date include this one.  Nobody cares about virtual punishiment, its meaningless in a game.

Originally posted by snapfusion

I have yet to see anything at all that discourages pointless ganking in any game to date include this one.  Nobody cares about virtual punishiment, its meaningless in a game.

Then you simply have not played this game and tried to do pointless ganking sir.

There are already threads on the official forum calling out the prison system as too harsh for gankers. I think it is just right.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Deeper than confusing, but it both. You will lose money and items through trade as a newb by not knowing value. Trust me on this one... 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Been playing for awhile now, have yet to be attacked. Dont understand how so many can be "ganked" when i havent even spilt a drop of blood. Do people go out of their way to look for fights, then lose and call it a gank? Or are people not being observant of their surroundings leading and getting into a bad situation? No im not making fun or critisizing here, im just curious how you got "ganked". Lot of times people misuse that word.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak

Then you simply have not played this game and tried to do pointless ganking sir.

There are already threads on the official forum calling out the prison system as too harsh for gankers. I think it is just right.

Until last week, for the past few years, I would describe myself as a pvpr. LAst week it dawned on me that I have spent more time crafting, cultivating, and playing the market more than I pvp'd, and far more time than I pk'd. 

Strange beast this system is. Pointless pk'n will only cost you money, and time. You will be arrested. You either pay money or wait your time, and for what? 

I still pk, but only for a purpose. Take from a guy who had 200k honor kills in WoW with well of 3k Arena matches, the system in place is damn near perfect. It's created a culture of it's own above and beyond it's simple ffa core. 

Bad system - Mortal online. People running around naked.

Great system - AoW people farming crops with murderers around (myself) with no fear. Well, I'm sure they are aware that I'm there ;)

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
     Many posts on here how to do something lol. There are many that need help. Glad you could figure it out, as did i. But some people just arent use to indpeth games. And yes themepark games hand you stuff and tell you where to go. Sandboxes are more open and have to figure things out more. So my statement is pretty clear and for the most part spot on. 

No it isn't spot on because Age Of Wushu has a very detailed tutorial which teaches you everything before you enter the open world. After that the only thing that lacks is quest markers and lack of direction being specified by the NPC. But then that is staple feature of sandbox MMOS, nothing too surprising there.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

It's got a lot of depth and I am confused as hell, so yeah, both :)

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak

Until last week, for the past few years, I would describe myself as a pvpr. LAst week it dawned on me that I have spent more time crafting, cultivating, and playing the market more than I pvp'd, and far more time than I pk'd. 

Strange beast this system is. Pointless pk'n will only cost you money, and time. You will be arrested. You either pay money or wait your time, and for what? 

The above kind of sums it up imo, the game in a wierd way is anti ganking or PK'n for the sake of Pk'n

I still pk, but only for a purpose. Take from a guy who had 200k honor kills in WoW with well of 3k Arena matches, the system in place is damn near perfect. It's created a culture of it's own above and beyond it's simple ffa core. 

Bad system - Mortal online. People running around naked.

Great system - AoW people farming crops with murderers around (myself) with no fear. Well, I'm sure they are aware that I'm there ;)

It's a well thought out and clever system imo.

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

No it isn't spot on because Age Of Wushu has a very detailed tutorial which teaches you everything before you enter the open world. After that the only thing that lacks is quest markers and lack of direction being specified by the NPC. But then that is staple feature of sandbox MMOS, nothing too surprising there.

No it doesnt teach you everything, lot of stuff isnt in that tutorial.  Half the pages are cut off, and translation isnt 100%. And how many skip thru it? I did lol.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Character progression system and skills are complex but overall the game does not have much depth. There are plenty of features but they are somewhat underdeveloped and not connected to each other well.

The game basically shrinks into Spying for XP, followed by Team Practice to "cultivate" your XP into skills.

One important note that all player trading is using real money converted into in game currency. Similar to Entropia Universe.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Character progression system and skills are complex but overall the game does not have much depth. There are plenty of features but they are somewhat underdeveloped and not connected to each other well.

The game basically shrinks into Spying for XP, followed by Team Practice to "cultivate" your XP into skills.

One important note that all player trading is using real money converted into in game currency. Similar to Entropia Universe.

Could you explain this please, i seem to have missed that part in my readings of this game.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Could you explain this please, i seem to have missed that part in my readings of this game.

You can buy in game silver with real money, you do not have to buy in game silver with real money.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by OnomasCould you explain this please, i seem to have missed that part in my readings of this game.

The game uses 2 currencies:

1) Silver coins that come from drops and quest rewards.
    2) Silver that comes from Gold(bought with real money) conversion and very limited kidnapping. I do not think there is any other way Silver comes into economy.

Thing is, in order to sell or buy something from other players, only Silver currency can be used. Silver coins have very limited use and can get you only very basic stuff, anything better you either need to craft it yourself, buy from other players or get a rare drop.