Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally got to play Diablo 3.....

Renton81Renton81 Member Posts: 92

So I only recently just got Diablo 3, mainly due to the fact of all this 'always online' rubbish. At home, we had issues with our internet connection where it would suddenly go off for an extended period of time. But now I'm at Uni and its pyre luxury. I decided to  make use of this and finally play D3.

I gotta say, its not anywhere as near as what I made it out to be judging from critics and friends.

A few pointers I hate:

4 Player co-op max

Really? That’s it? Diablo 2 boasted 8-player games. We live in an age when even our aging consoles can support FPS games that have 64+ capacity per server. Why in the bloody hell would you limit us to 4 players per game? It’s as if the developers at DICE, who used to believe in squad-based, tactical combat for their Battlefield franchise, had a little meet and greet with the Blizzard folks and said, “Eight players? We used to offer squad sizes roughly that big. You know what players really love? Squad sizes of 4. After all, they only have 3 friends on average anyway.”

No pvp

Why would you leave out pvp? I heard somewhere that blizzard said that they didn't want the game to be an e-sport. But just because you include pvp into a game it doesn't necessarily mean it will 100% become an e-sport. Valve made Dota 2 an e-sport by first announcing that it will be a major e-sport and then supporting that by holding several high reward competitions.... Don't want it to become an e-sport, just deprive it of all that.

Let the game have pvp and give it a feature that will extend the lifespan of the game. Why would you hide away from valuable features like that

Individual loot drop

Okay this isn't so much of an issue compared to the first two. But what made every fight in diablo 2 with a group that bit more enjoyable was that bit at the end where you'd rush to be the first to get it. I miss that feeling and now, the combat just seems bland after a while. It's like you're just going through the monotony of various dungeons just for the 1 second of excitement when you've found you've looted something cool.

Before, I respected Blizzard. Because I had this image of them that they knew what they were doing, that they know how not to disappointment. Things changed. Not quite sure what to believe now.

Received my first Free UGC code! :)
Claim your Free UGC code Here

Comments

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by Renton81

Before, I respected Blizzard. Because I had this image of them that they knew what they were doing, that they know how not to disappointment. Things changed. Not quite sure what to believe now.

Thats it? that is all you have a problem with and that is enough for you to question how you feel about Blizzard? Wow.....lollolol, Sorry but I am going to need a little more before I start throwing developers under the bus.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    I thought the game was a complete waste of money. Sorry but repeating the same content over and over except with more difficulty levels is not my idea of content.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Odd that you'd take such issue with those things. Most people were more concerned with the atrocious story, lack of randomization in the world (leading to highly repetitive content), terrible class balance (most obvious in the higher difficulties), lack of build options and a lack of meaningful loot.
  • AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274
    You need to remember D3 is NOT an MMO. Its a online game for sure but you people are expecting some kind of MMO model and PvP content. I really can't see what the point of PvP would be in this game. It's not a WoW model and you can't get D3 to perform in a WoW manner. So yeah you are going to be playing the same content with the emphasis of having fun and yes the gear grind. 
  • AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by Deathenger
    I thought the game was a complete waste of money. Sorry but repeating the same content over and over except with more difficulty levels is not my idea of content.

That is pretty much what Diablo is and always has been if its not something you were interested in then why would you bother even buying it in the first place?

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I gotta say, its not anywhere as near as what I made it out to be judging from critics and friends.

A few pointers I hate:

4 Player co-op max

No pvp

Individual loot drop

Your friends/reviewers told you there was more than 4 player co op?

Your friends/reviewers told you that there was PvP?

Your friends/reviewers told you that people had to roll for individual loot drops?

Either your friends and/or reviewers lied thorugh their teeth or you bought D3 knowing full well what you were getting into.  If these were the features that were going to make you doubt Blizzard, you didn't have to buy the game to find this stuff out.  Sorry you feel like you wasted your money.  I would recommend doing some more homework before purchasing next time.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I'd love some clarification on this statement because it sounds like you're asking for a game with unlimited content.  I've never seen one of those before.  I would have loved for D3 to have been longer, but sooner or later you finish the story.  This is how non-mmo's work (and most MMO's, to be honest).  Once you compete the story, you re-do content.  At least D3 has randomized the dungeons so they feel (slightly) different upon repeat.  With monster level being able to control the difficulty is a nice touch as well.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    It's a good  single player hack and slash game, it's not a super duper game and it's not a bad game.. people should stop thinking that every game should be a ground breaker. 
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Yeah cus doing the same raid every weeke and daily quests aren't repetitive.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's bad for the price it was at launch. £50 as compared to £30 for a typical new game. Especially bad when you can get 4 copies of the more fun, not rmah driven Torchlight 2 for less money.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It's bad for the price it was at launch. £50 as compared to £30 for a typical new game. Especially bad when you can get 4 copies of the more fun, not rmah driven Torchlight 2 for less money.

I finally broke down and played TL2. It is, in a word, garbage. Inexpensive garbage but garbage.

And yet it's still better than D3 lol!

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Yeah cus doing the same raid every weeke and daily quests aren't repetitive.

I dont play WoW. I pretty much facerolled my way to the end of this game. The only time I died was fighting Diablo. So as I said before, replaying the game on different chatacters or more difficulties is not my idea of content. The game was just way too short and thats all there is to it.

As far as a waste of money goes, it would have been a waste of money if I actually payed money for it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh boy, nothing as blind as blizzard and Apple fanbois.

I guess all those people who put tl2 way higher on gory lists were wrong.

Anyway why tl2 is better.
    1 loot drops, these games are loot pinatas, your supposed to drop look not buy it off a fecking auction house.
    2 the game was designed to be fun, not to incentive players to use the auction house
    3 no constant drudgery of portaling back to town to sell shit every 5 minutes (so you can buy from the ah)
    4 the levels are much more random than d3, a second play through is still fun.
    5 more content its a bigger game than d3, d3 just makes you repeat stuff on a harder difficulty
    6 no boring old slow through noob mode 1 and noob mode 2 before you can play it at an interesting difficulty, tl2 let's you the player decide the difficulty
    7 shock horror you can play a single player game off line!
    8 and yay with steam cloud I can use that offline when I want to play in on my work laptop
    9 the choices you make with your class matter. You can play once using one build, play a second time using a completely different build and have a very different play experience. Each class can be played in several different ways with different equipment requirements. In d3 a barb is always a melee monster a mage is always a ranged glass cannon etc.. not so with tl2
  • AredylAredyl Member Posts: 22

My problems with the game:

1.) It boasts less features than Diablo II.

---   First, there is no PvP.  The original development of a PvP arena was recently scrapped and we might get a dueling system soon.  For D2, the PvP system was built into the game at launch.

---   Less players in games.  D2 allowed up to 8 players at once.  D3 cut that in half.  

---   Less randomization.  A large chunk of the D3 world is set in stone, while almost all of D2 is randomized.  Really hurt a dungeon-crawler to enter the exact same area with all the terrain looking exactly the same for a good chunk of the game.

2. ) The Auction House is a double-edged sword.  It feels like cheating to buy upgrades from the AH instead of looting them.  The whole concept behind a lootfest dungeon-crawler is to grind for the best drops, not purchase them off an AH.  (Applies even more to the RMAH versus the gold AH.  Not quite Pay-to-Win, but you can do that easily.)

3. ) Always online.  Sometimes I just don't want to be pestered, especially by gold farmers.  I just want to relax and play something mindless for a while.  I can't play in an offline mode and I can't change my status to offline/hidden mode for a short period of time.  (Some of my WoW friends only think about WoW, along with some of my SC2 friends)  This problem was compounded greatly at launch, leaving me unable to play a game I owned for a day or two.

4.) Class balance felt off to me.  Demon Hunters would fall over dead if they were even sneezed on in Inferno, yet Barbarians have no issues taking a few hits.  Guessing Blizzard didn't want to change the classes too much for PvP that it would hurt the current state of PvE.

I just feel that D2 was a better game at launch than D3 did when it released.  It still feels very strange to see a franchise step backwards, especially considering the long layoff.  The only thing I give a nod to D3 is offering respecs, especially outside of combat (which some other games in the genre still do not offer).

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Funny enough you can go about throwing that at Diablo 2 as well. Still, I had great fun with Diablo 2 while Diablo 3 doing this it felt... repetative? What? I mean literally, D2 ended up being "rush this, rush that, spam baal runs" yet D2 felt LESS repetative then D3?

I think its less of the fact your repeating content then the fact you feel detracted from the game and you feel like the content is far to pushed in your face that it becomes more tedious and repetative to the player. A game like Path of Exile for example literally has only 2 acts which last ~2-3 hours if your rushing through race style and yet you won't even encounter that real repetative feel a game like D3 quickly feels like it brings on. 

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by AC1074
    You need to remember D3 is NOT an MMO. Its a online game for sure but you people are expecting some kind of MMO model and PvP content. I really can't see what the point of PvP would be in this game. It's not a WoW model and you can't get D3 to perform in a WoW manner. So yeah you are going to be playing the same content with the emphasis of having fun and yes the gear grind. 

Thing is that Blizz was promising PvP and even showed off some before launch and never put it in. Playing the same content isn't the problem, the manner in which they implemented it is. 

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

So I only recently just got Diablo 3, mainly due to the fact of all this 'always online' rubbish. At home, we had issues with our internet connection where it would suddenly go off for an extended period of time. But now I'm at Uni and its pyre luxury. I decided to  make use of this and finally play D3.

A few pointers I hate:

4 Player co-op max

Really? That’s it? Diablo 2 boasted 8-player games. We live in an age when even our aging consoles can support FPS games that have 64+ capacity per server. Why in the bloody hell would you limit us to 4 players per game? It’s as if the developers at DICE, who used to believe in squad-based, tactical combat for their Battlefield franchise, had a little meet and greet with the Blizzard folks and said, “Eight players? We used to offer squad sizes roughly that big. You know what players really love? Squad sizes of 4. After all, they only have 3 friends on average anyway.”

No pvp

Why would you leave out pvp? I heard somewhere that blizzard said that they didn't want the game to be an e-sport. But just because you include pvp into a game it doesn't necessarily mean it will 100% become an e-sport. Valve made Dota 2 an e-sport by first announcing that it will be a major e-sport and then supporting that by holding several high reward competitions.... Don't want it to become an e-sport, just deprive it of all that.

Let the game have pvp and give it a feature that will extend the lifespan of the game. Why would you hide away from valuable features like that

Individual loot drop

Okay this isn't so much of an issue compared to the first two. But what made every fight in diablo 2 with a group that bit more enjoyable was that bit at the end where you'd rush to be the first to get it. I miss that feeling and now, the combat just seems bland after a while. It's like you're just going through the monotony of various dungeons just for the 1 second of excitement when you've found you've looted something cool.

No, it wasn't enjoyable nor fun. Losing on out loot cause I didn't spam left click enough was a stupid mechanic.

• My main complaints with the game are the following:

The layouts of places aren't random enough - especially the outside areas. Some of the indoor dungeon areas are nicely done, though.

I think the character building could have been done better. I don't mind not being able to assign stats, but you don't really feel like you're developing a character when you play. More like a toolbox where you just switch stuff in and out.

My last complaint is probably quite controversial, but I find in this type of game, the thing that makes the random loot drop mechanism really fun is when you get your stuff on your own by killing something and see it spew out that Vorpal Longsword or whatever. I feel like any kind of trading system diminishes the potential fun of the game. Trading in Diablo 2 sucked horribly since it didn't even have a proper trade system. Diablo 3 at least makes it more convenient, but I feel it shouldn't be possible to move items from one account to another AT ALL.

Other than that, I find it to be a good game. I love the personal loot drops and think it would have been major idiocy by Blizzard had they chosen not to have it.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by Zetsuei

A few pointers I hate:

4 Player co-op max

No pvp

Individual loot drop

No, it wasn't enjoyable nor fun. Losing on out loot cause I didn't spam left click enough was a stupid mechanic.

It wasn't even about spam left clicking, it was whoever had the autolooter running with the best internet connection.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262
    Originally posted by Axxar

My last complaint is probably quite controversial, but I find in this type of game, the thing that makes the random loot drop mechanism really fun is when you get your stuff on your own by killing something and see it spew out that Vorpal Longsword or whatever. I feel like any kind of trading system diminishes the potential fun of the game. Trading in Diablo 2 sucked horribly since it didn't even have a proper trade system. Diablo 3 at least makes it more convenient, but I feel it shouldn't be possible to move items from one account to another AT ALL.

I hope this one isn't controversial at all.

A loot piñata game where you progress by selling most of your drops to a vendor and then go on a buying spree at the AH is one of the worst ideas imaginable.

What where they thinking?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

You must have hated D2 then with just hell difficulty to farm.  ARPGs aren't for everyone.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

I liked it well enough, had a similar critque myself. 

The game play for some of the classes progresses a bit weird still is all I'd really add. I liked the over all story, thought the level and boss design was a lil' soft for a Diablo game - but gamers are soft now. 

Wasn't a terrible experience by any means, but I don't think it'll get 1000 hours + from me like Diablo 2 did.

a yo ho ho

• Originally posted by Kwintpod

A loot piñata game where you progress by selling most of your drops to a vendor and then go on a buying spree at the AH is one of the worst ideas imaginable.

Trading was possible in the previous games, so it may not have crossed their mind the game might be better without it. Or they might be afraid of fan backlash when the new Diablo didn't support it. Or they might think trading -was- important. Personally trading was so boring in Diablo 2 I always played it with just the gear I found. Diablo 3 showed another reason why trading sucks in this type of game.

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262
    Originally posted by Kwintpod

They were thinking people do it already using scam sites. There was a huge black market in gear for D2 and people have always traded it. They thought it would be good to make it safer for their customers. Contrary to the opinion of some people you don't need to use the auction house. I've finished the game many times and bought nothing wth either gold or cash.

Diablo games were never about finishing the game(at least not for most people).

They were(untill diablo III, sadly) about doing farm runs and finding cool and interesting gear for your character. With the introduction of the Auction House however came the need to make every good item super rare, or otherwise the AH would be flooded with them. 

What isn't really helping is that Diablo III's items are reaaaaaaally boring, and only a select few stats are even desirable.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

They were thinking people do it already using scam sites. There was a huge black market in gear for D2 and people have always traded it. They thought it would be good to make it safer for their customers. Contrary to the opinion of some people you don't need to use the auction house. I've finished the game many times and bought nothing wth either gold or cash.

Diablo games were never about finishing the game(at least not for most people).

They were(untill diablo III, sadly) about doing farm runs and finding cool and interesting gear for your character. With the introduction of the Auction House however came the need to make every good item super rare, or otherwise the AH would be flooded with them. 

What isn't really helping is that Diablo III's items are reaaaaaaally boring, and only a select few stats are even desirable.

Not if you also play and experiment with builds. I just got some gear for a 0 dog  build, which is 100% different than other gear set that max your dps & ehp