Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is Blizzard's TITAN Going To Be?

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by BadSpock

New / biggest rumor now (just yesterday I think) is that Titan actually IS a familiar IP.

Which means they probably changed it to Starcraft MMO in the past year or two.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/01/rumor-blizzards-titan-is-not-a-new-ip-and-could-be-heading-to/

Cross platform too - makes sense to me.

In before-

"That means it will be even more dumbed down for consoles."

I always LOL at those statements, so please - continue!

There were rumors of tablet options.  Then again rumors are often guesses without facts.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Doesn't bother me what it is.  I will not be playing it.  Have fun playing it though.

• ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Originally posted by pmiles

"What is Blizzard's TiTAN Going To Be?

The Titanic... it's going to sink just as fast as every other new MMO out there. 

I can't predict the future of the games recently released (GW2, TSW, ...), but I don't see games like Aion, LOTRO or the Perfect World MMOs going down soon.

The thing is that huge companies plan their games like they're going to keep a million players hooked. The playerbase isn't shrinking, it's just scattered. Of course WoW could gather all MMO-Fans back then - there were fewer competitors.

Blizzard can't fix the fact that MMORPGs are tired and old.  Slap whatever coat of paint you want on it, but players are yearning for something new, and MMORPGS aren't new, they're old.

No, the most of us want more complex MMORPGs. Developers made accessible MMORPGs for the broad masses, but they don't stick with the games. So players are constantly buying and leaving those games because they are too simple for the core-gamers and too time-intensive for the casual gamers at the same time.

Just my opinion ;)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Yamota
    ThemePark.

Real descriptive - more like what IP will they use.

Does it matter? ThemeParks are the past and Blizzard has not released anything innovative in the MMO genre since WoW was released. They are the past and whatever Titan will be, will not be groundbreaking.

But my guess would be some Starcraft MMO.

• junkiemunkiejunkiemunkie Member Posts: 1
    Titan is going to be a FPSMMO, TF2 with quest. can you dig it?
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    More themepark than themepark.. Themepark to the max!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by doragon86
    They said it was going to be a completely different IP. So yea, unless they randomly changed their mind, you won't be seeing world of starcraft or diablo. Plus Blizzard isn't as great of a company from a developer standpoint. Slow content release, slow patches, bad quality assurance. Also, from what I've seen with Diablo 3.... I dunno. 

"Bad quality assurance" really? Blizzard may make bland games but they make very high quality bland games, Blizzard releases only heavly polished games, its kinda their thing. They balance pretty much constantly so slow patches does not really. Now slow content releases and Diablo 3.... true.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    In all likelyhood it will suck, whatever it may be.
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

"overhyped"

Especially considering its already called Titan.

Titan is just the project name, representing the size of said project.  The actual game name is unknown at this point.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Based on the latest rumors, here's what I can see it being:

A "dark fantasy" genre MMO a bit reminiscent of Diablo, but not really Diablo. Maybe think a darker, demonic version of the parallel world in Northern Lights by Philip Pullman. Steampunk contraptions and aesthetics and a good deal of Victoriana. The latter would go well with extensive customization.

Let's face it, WoW is steampunk anyway, and it's really convenient, because steampunk is good for using all sorts of aesthetics. Magic, tech, clothing, whatever, throw it in, it sticks. Think how much more "cosmetics" Blizzard could sell with a new graphical engine, new models and a better looking clothing system. Hey, maybe you could play a demon and the cash shop will read: "Dress to Possess!"

I really don't see it being FPS. That would be turning their back on a good portion of their fanbase. And I really do hope it's got nothing to do with Starcraft as it's just lousy sci-fi to me.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by pmiles

"What is Blizzard's TiTAN Going To Be?

The Titanic... it's going to sink just as fast as every other new MMO out there. 

People will continue to play WoW even if it is dumbed down into a game of pong.  That's been proven already.  No one has released a new MMO that has captured players attention since.  Hype all you want, but in the end, most have a shelf life of 6 months max... and that includes Blizzard releases as well.

Blizzard can't fix the fact that MMORPGs are tired and old.  Slap whatever coat of paint you want on it, but players are yearning for something new, and MMORPGS aren't new, they're old.  TV used to have tons of westerns back in the day... did them to death, now you don't ever see any westerns on TV any more.  MMORPGS are like westerns... they've been done to death.  In the end, any new product is still going to be a western... been there, done that.  It's only fresh and new to someone who has been living under a rock for the past 20 years or born yesterday.

You don't want a new MMORPG, you want something entirely new.  And I can assure you, Blizzard isn't going to be the company that will make it.

I think you're more right than most want to admit.

I agree.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Blizzard does the popular thing so World of Starcraft it is. New ip ? I don't believe it.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Mass market, the equivelent in mmo terms of xfactor style shite in music terms, populist big bag of babb. Probably.

And it will be the most succesfull game ever in terms of both money and playerbase
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

My best guess would be something sci-fi or steampunk.  WoW fills that fantasy niche so I doubt they would do the same genre.

Also: Haters gonna hate.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Blizzard does the popular thing so World of Starcraft it is. New ip ? I don't believe it.

I've been calling it for a couple of years now; this is going to be a Starcraft MMO. More than a few folks around here thought I was nuts.

This new IP nonsense was just to throw everyone off and avoid the inevitable overhyping for as long as possible. I don't think it would have been wise if Blizzy had left us with the truth for such a long time.

Looking forward to finding out what they've been up to.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by CaptShatner

Post apocolytpic/Sci-Fi

I have had my suspicions that it was based on a idea from Red 5 Studios and their game "Firefall". Seeing as the heads of the studio worked at Blizzard right around the time Titan was supposidely created.

Hmm I thought people realised this was a mock-up using the Stargate Atlantis graphic...

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Coman
    Originally posted by BadSpock

New / biggest rumor now (just yesterday I think) is that Titan actually IS a familiar IP.

Which means they probably changed it to Starcraft MMO in the past year or two.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/01/rumor-blizzards-titan-is-not-a-new-ip-and-could-be-heading-to/

Cross platform too - makes sense to me.

In before-

"That means it will be even more dumbed down for consoles."

I always LOL at those statements, so please - continue!

Actually the rumur is that it is a new IP, but a spinoff of an IP already made. Might not even have to be an IP owned by blizzard. 

My guess it's going to be like Warhammer 40k and Warhammer fantasy IP's. Both are Warhammer IPs, but both areunique IPs as well and have nothing to do with each other. 

Heard that too - which is why I included DUNE - the progenitors of the Dune universe as it is in the books were 'the Titans', otherwise known as Cymeks.

Just a thought...

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Blizzard's new team lack innovation.

The original Diablo Series (D1 and D2) and RTS Series (Warcraft and Starcraft) was ahead of its time. These games were unique.

10-13 years later...

The new Diablo 3 and RTS Series = Devolving Innovation. There is nothing new. Been there, done that.

World of Warcraft was not innovative, either. However, it was extremely clean and they did a good job marketing it and keeping up with fixes / updates. However, World of Warcraft continues to get worse.

Blizzard is a tired company with a lack-luster staff. Titan is going to be the same thing...      more Theme Park.

Boy are you a downer.

I self identify as a monkey.

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Blizzard's new team lack innovation.

The original Diablo Series (D1 and D2) and RTS Series (Warcraft and Starcraft) was ahead of its time. These games were unique.

10-13 years later...

The new Diablo 3 and RTS Series = Devolving Innovation. There is nothing new. Been there, done that.

World of Warcraft was not innovative, either. However, it was extremely clean and they did a good job marketing it and keeping up with fixes / updates. However, World of Warcraft continues to get worse.

Blizzard is a tired company with a lack-luster staff. Titan is going to be the same thing...      more Theme Park.

Boy are you a downer.

But he's spot on correct. 

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Yamota
    ThemePark, catering to the arcade style MMO players with cashshop included.

this.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• SoleinaSoleina Member Posts: 9

Well, finally a post worthy of me posting my thoughts on. This is my first post, so here goes.

Let's analyze this a bit closer so I can tell you why Blizzard's next MMO is going to be TRANSFORMERS!!

1. Project TITAN : In 2001, Titan Books acquired the rights to reprints of Marvel Comics' U.S. Transformers run, publishing the near-complete American series in several volumes of trade paperbacks and hardcovers. They have also released much of the Marvel UK material.

Their sister company, Titan Magazines, is currently publishing a Transformers title based on the 2007 film.

2. Project Blackstone: Blackstone the Magician was a Marvel Comic Book series published by Timely Publications, who subsequently became Timely Comics, then ultimately ended with its founder, Martin Goodman, using the Atlas News Company Globe logo. Another "Titan" reference in Atlas, was the primordial Titan who held up the celestial sphere in Greek Mythology.

With this said, it all points to Marvel Comics, ultimately. So if not a Transformers MMO, will we possibly see a Marvel Universe MMO aside from the already published MMO Marvel Heroes? 

Now I know I may be digging too much into this, but it's quite relevant and a grand idea.

What do you think?

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I only voted for Dune because I have hopes and dreams.  I would love to see the old school blizzard dev team make an MMO based on herbert's novels.

One can only dream I guess.

Back to reality, I would guess they will use Starcraft.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Someone stated ( a long time ago) that you can get the best idea of how a game will turn out by seeing who is on the dev team.  Does anyone know any recognizable names on the titan team.  Hopefully blizz was able to secure some old school talent.

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262
    Boy do I hope that console rumour is off
  • VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    I hope it has three factions, lot's of world PvP and territory control, and NO instanced PvP.

If they don't do the game your way it will be no succsess,remember blizzards wants to attrack millions of gamers not just few pvp gankers.