Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you were to make an MMO, what would it be?

darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Mine would be a gigantic mmo that is like combing Rift and Guild Wars 2 with massive sandbox elements together.

- Most of the game is a sandbox and randomly generated world that will transform on it's own by natural disasters, natural terraformation, and catastrophic events. The world is randomly generated biomes by the size of 500 mi2 (basically bigger then Grand Theft Auto Maps), randomly generated hills, mountains, caverns, and fantasy biomes such as barren/forsaken land, underground jungles, mushroom areas, ancient tombs and more.

-As the world is a sandbox game, crafting is one of the most important of them all, as people have to form communities and make towns, castles, and major cities among the vast and huge land with the massive amounts of resources to make tools for alchemy, surgery, woodcrafting, enchanting, construction, and many more. I'm expecting more then 100 crafting options that will expand further the more hidden technology that the players discovered.

-a Technology tree that is up for the players to uncover, players will have to really have to combined certain research to discover new tools, unique ancient words of magic to make spells, and study of the species that you encounter to know weakness, and how to successfully carve the hide off of a animal you fought. This technology has to be unlocked by the player only, and can only share it by word and book in the game (not in the forums).

-A unique dungeon system that makes dungeons more of a concern to players, NPC are intelligent enough to improve their own dungeon each in game day, dungeons grow when mobs continue to populate the dungeons, they bound to start raiding on your towns, burn your crops, kill your miners, and make a massive army and they be besieging your walls and destory your town or city if they are not contain. Once a dungeon has appear, you need to clear it out before it grows or you will bring torment to your own home, dungeons can appear in the surface of your world, or in the hidden parts underground, they might be under the city your living on.

-The world is big in the surface, but it's also big underground. As I mention that you should beware of hidden lairs underneath the ground. You can make a mine when you discover unique resource deposits underneath the world, twice as big as earth. The further you dig down, the more dangerous it will be. Hidden lairs such as Underground jungles and ancient tombs that used to be a graveyard for ancient earth dragons that could be haunted, you may face dig too deep and end up litterly in hell and unleash a massive demonic army and if you don't  destory that tunnel you dig staight to hell, Cities would be under siege from the massive 500,000 demons. Don't dig any futher, no matter how rare the resources like adamantine and other unique resources you uncover.

-the graphics of the game would be more like the graphics like guild wars 2 and Archeage, combat would be a mix between Dark Souls and War of the Roses/Chivarly Medieval Warfare. Siege Wars against other players cities and communities will be somewhat like Planetside 2 and Guild Wars 2 (if you successfully made your steampunk-like airship or a medieval catapult and trebuchets to bar down the walls).

-Millions of ways to customize your character, from outfit that you purchase from other players who are skilled at tailoring and know how to make decent clothes from the right materials (think a combination of APB customization but with an RPG system that dictates which resources the tailorer need to make that particular kind of dress, shirt, skirt, waistbands, etc.) the better looking the armor, the more it actually cost.

-When dark times have follow, you will know the signs when hell has broken loose, when you see the land transform around you. the world will terraform the more bad activities has occured, for example, if a undead army was rampaging across the eastern part of , as the undead army destory countless of player villages, towns, and their major cities. The land will turn like a graveyard, dead trees, resources are transform into something that reflects the turmoil (and could be rewarding for certain things, if your making a gothic outfit that requires bones of skeletons and blacken silver). it be one hell of a sight to see for mercanaries and other shorts.

-You can be what you wish you can be in the game, the game is massive enough for you to form your own barbarian clan, make your buildings out of giant bat wings and tusks of mammoth to make it look like it was made by an orc. You can become a explorer and discover foriegn cities made by other players, a merc for hire, a bounty hunter, a sheriff, anything that you wish to become.

Think of this game like minecraft but with shitloads of things to do that you never grow bored out of this game, and challenging when you have a combat similar to dark souls and War of the Roses, and beautiful graphics like Guild Wars 2 and Archeage.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    It would be vaporware.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    what if it was successful?

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by darkedone02
    what if it was successful?

Like Dawn?

I'd be laughing my ass off at all the suckers.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    This is quite literally a pipe dream. without even thinking about the actual logistics behind it, to even begin to put together the design doc takes more space then several posts put together. I mean how you just started "describing" it (cross between Rift and Gw2) shows just how far you actually have to go.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

Originally posted by jimdandy26
    This is quite literally a pipe dream. without even thinking about the actual logistics behind it, to even begin to put together the design doc takes more space then several posts put together. I mean how you just started "describing" it (cross between Rift and Gw2) shows just how far you actually have to go.

it is right now just a pipe dream as i don't have a single clue on how to make such a game like what I discribe. It will takes years to make it into reality unless i have a 100 man team  that are professionals, and a shitloads of cash to make my own company.

I wish for something like this to happen to be honest, some people would love to have something that combines most of our fav games into one mmo. To incorperate tools such as making your own songs in the game and allow it to be play if your guild city approves, to make that customization system like APB but with RPG system that tells you what mats you are require to complete that outfit your making.

now seriously, if you were to make an mmo, what would it be?

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by darkedone02
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

it is right now just a pipe dream as i don't have a single clue on how to make such a game like what I discribe. It will takes years to make it into reality unless i have a 100 man team  that are professionals, and a shitloads of cash to make my own company.

I wish for something like this to happen to be honest, some people would love to have something that combines most of our fav games into one mmo. To incorperate tools such as making your own songs in the game and allow it to be play if your guild city approves, to make that customization system like APB but with RPG system that tells you what mats you are require to complete that outfit your making.

now seriously, if you were to make an mmo, what would it be?

The problem is you are approaching it all wrong. You should not be trying to take x from this and y from that, you should be understanding what the actual system is, how it works, why it evokes that particular feeling, then attempting to build that. Much like cooking you don't say "wouldn''t it be awesome to take the sauce from orange chicken and combine it with caviar!'.

I don't really mean this in a negative fashion either. I once asked this same question (to myself instead of vomiting it onto a forum) so I went in search of an answer. I mean look at your questions, the answers are so evident at first glance. If you are truly interested in moving down the rabbit hole these may help just a little:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_221/6582-Why-Your-Game-Idea-Sucks

http://www.raphkoster.com/gaming/gdco12/Koster_Raph_Theory_Fun_10.pdf

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/355/entry-2250155-why-you-shouldnt-be-making-an-mmo/

https://sakai.rutgers.edu/access/content/group/af43d59b-528f-42d0-b8e5-70af85c439dc/reading/hunicke_2004.pdf

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/show/extra-credits

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game-shows/montys-minute/

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

As funny as it sounds (seeing as I'm a solid themeparker), the game floating around in my head is a sandbox steampunk world. 4 main areas, Europe (the civilized area), Africa & S. America (research and gathering areas), and the American West (PvP anything goes area).

That's the nutshell, anyway.

Weird, right?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• LethalElementLethalElement Member Posts: 9
    SWG 2. All the cool things from SWG 1 thrown into a next gen mmo, with more planets, bigger space to explore , more professions and skills.
  • CranktrainCranktrain Member Posts: 25

It would be this one.

Development has been very strong, there's still some way to go with lots of rough patches here and there, but I'm feeling good about it! The pitch is 'real-time multiplayer RPG, a bit like those old zelda games', I hope that'll interest a few people.

• machonacho8machonacho8 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I think a game where you start the game as a kid with Sim customization options and there are no classes but you can level up your weapon skills and sneak skill like the Elder Scroll series and as you go through your childhood devolpment (in neighborhoods/villages/cities with fellow player) the choices you make develop your  personal story, which around end teenage you could chose to join one of two factions and make your way through ranks and help the faction out PvP and PvE wise. really vague but I think that feature in a game would really add to the story and how much you like your character.
  • DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

With

Graphics

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by machonacho8
    I think a game where you start the game as a kid with Sim customization options and there are no classes but you can level up your weapon skills and sneak skill like the Elder Scroll series and as you go through your childhood devolpment (in neighborhoods/villages/cities with fellow player) the choices you make develop your  personal story, which around end teenage you could chose to join one of two factions and make your way through ranks and help the faction out PvP and PvE wise. really vague but I think that feature in a game would really add to the story and how much you like your character.

Sounds like you read my post.. :)

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/373615/page/2

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I would build a sandbox with significant encumbrance restraints, no quests other than dynamic events. 

Weapons and armor would take damage and need to be repaired and a craftsman of the suitable trade could repair items in the field as long as they had resources.  Some iron ingots, a whetstone and a smithing hammer to repair a sword for example. If weapons and armor were not repaired, they would gradually become less and less effective.   

Food would be required as well, and function as a big part of healing. If the person was full or sated, they would receive full benefit of healing, but if they were hungry the healing would be less effective, gradually getting worse to the point of not being able to heal at all when starving.

There would be alot of roleplay enhancing features such as interactive emotes and shouts. This game would be heavily geared for roleplaying, and designed to make roleplaying a natural part of playing the game. (make it easier to emote "thanks" than it is to type it into chat)

The game world would be very large, with a limited number of player within each server / zone.  It would be near FFA OWPvP except that you couldn't attack a team/guild/alliance member in regular combat.

The encumbrance restrictions and need for active repairs and food would limit the feasibility of travelling long distances to siege for extended periods, and being a lone assassin running around killing newbies to steal their stuf isn't easy when you can't carry much loot.

There would of course be pack animals, but they would severly hamper combat, or run away if abandoned. This would be the bond to bring players to working together.  Some people would need to attend the pack animals so that large expeditions could take place, bringing enough food, repair resources and bandages. Pack animals can be armored, and there would be a variety of different beasts of burden, each with benefits and downfalls.

Players can build/destroy walls, doors, ceilings, seige equipment, armor, weapons, etc.

The game would have excellent graphics for environment and character, with the trade off being the number of people allowed on the server.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• pete7729pete7729 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I'd like to see a mmo set during the riftwar in Midkemia (Raymond E. Feist books).
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Grunty
    It would be vaporware.

Mine too.  Ideas are easy, implementation is hard.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Is this a won the lottery to fund it kind of thing, or something where you'd have to get financing and actually make money? For me, that would make a difference in how the game worked.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ShijeerShijeer Member Posts: 131

Craptastic.

Originally posted by machonacho8

interesting. like combining elder scrolls with fable in a way.

• frblackfrblack Member Posts: 21

OP, check my test run at mage online. looks like it's that huge sandbox world you wished for...

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm?thread=373004&val=1&uh=8F0278F612BB7D3ADF2557BE7560B257

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Originally posted by LethalElement
    SWG 2. All the cool things from SWG 1 thrown into a next gen mmo, with more planets, bigger space to explore , more professions and skills.

This!!

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Wurm with a few billion dollars dropped into it.  And rocket launchers.
  • NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

Character:

- classic western fantasy setting

- close 3rd person view

-mouse aming

-point system for skills, example you have 1000 points and some skills will cost you 50 points and some 200 if you choose some skills it will make others more expensive.

-you can train these skills by using them

- some skills need a  certain level in other skills

-you can  switch them wit ha cooldown

- no stuipid skills like jumping/running

-non realistic combat, more fast and quake like

World:

- huge open world with one "starting zone" where you can learn the basic and that is used as "tradehub"

-rest of the world is lawless with playermade rules

-the world is static so no terraforming or falling trees

-a road network, connecting city areas and point of interests.  give a speed boost

-dungeons that host "the evil"

- rest of the NPC-spawns is not static but a wandering population of creatures and maybe simple civilizations like goblins/trolls/orks which settle in ruins and move to other locations when they are farmed to much

-breeding system, NPC population grow and expand in an area

Conflict:

-civilization(the game) like ressources and ressource zones, for example grass land will provide agriculture. hills  will give stones

-some special ressources for each city area

-everyone now and then you have "building areas", two types of building areas. City Area and Village Area. You can only place buildings on village areas when  the area is connected with a claimed city  area ( guild claimed)

-claimed city areas have a influence area which provides them ressources

- you can take zones but they have to be connected with your kingdom and you need to be in war with  the owning clan, when they are neutral you can simply claim them

-you can siege enemy cities and gain there influence but this will be a major task

-a city area  contains a fixed amount of building moduls you can use ( for example 25 walls) but you can place them where you want

-villages have a fixed amount of house slots but you can place what you want, you need to pay a tax to the owning clan

-you can build little ressources nodes at your house but have to give a % to the owning clan.

-the tax is set by the owning clans

crafting:

-everything is player crafted,mobs  and others will only drop raw ressources

-every crafting is connected to others so you need others to create something

-same point pool than combat skill however other than the combat skills the amount of points used depends on the skill level

-crafting skills are mostly all minigames that you can master.

Yeah something like this.....

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

An MO.  The very first idea to get pitched would be "massive".

But then I don't have EvilCo funding me, and demanding dividends.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.