Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Odd lag spikes on MMORPG.com

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I occasionally get strange lag spikes on MMORPG.com .. it's been happening for months.

I'll open multiple threads when this happens, and they all sit "waiting for connection".  It can last up to several minutes at a time.  When the lag clears up, they all pop open with the correct page.

During the lag spikes I can browse other websites just fine, so it's not my internet (although it could be my direct connection to MMORPG.com that gets occasionally stalled).

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem?  It's not overly common though .. it seems to happen here and there, while I'm connected .. maybe only a few times per week, that I notice anyways.  Considering I may stay logged on but do not engage in website activities it might happen more .. dunno.

ps - on a site note without creating a new thread for this, is it possible to have an EverQuest Next subforum?  There is much to discuss, and I'd love to be able to have a consolidation of recent SOE quotes and such in one area.  Thanks!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

They don't feed the gerbils enough.

Or possibly, all that bandwidth used serving up all this paid advertising.

Really wish they would invest in upgrading/updating their forum/content software. I love all the paid commentary from the editors (and especially the heaps of free content - in terms of blogs and user posts), but this software is really creaky and very buggy

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

It's not just you.  It's been an issue for months, now and then.  I can only assume they are throttling their bandwidth to stay in the black.  It's the only site of its kind that I have issues with.  

I even turned off AdBlock for them.. Although I wasn't actually blocking any ADS.. just some of the SIGS.  But that did not seem to matter to their huge banner up top.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

LOL "lag"!.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

You can ping the site.

I am too lazy to look up the ip right now,anyone can do it.You can even do the ping in DOS with a tag that allows it to monitor the connection for some time.I don't remeber the tag to add either,someone probably does.

If the ping does not show lag,example huge ping spikes or missed packets sent,then it  is something on the site causing it or even something on your system .Loading graphics is often the problem,so many reasons why that can take a long time.

The only real anomalies i have seen is when the site takes a while to load [ not very often,once a week]],it still shows the site as loading in a mere fraction of a second ,when clearly it did not.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    You have to consider MMORPG is based out of Hawaii. Or at least it used to be.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Karteli

I occasionally get strange lag spikes on MMORPG.com .. it's been happening for months.

I'll open multiple threads when this happens, and they all sit "waiting for connection".  It can last up to several minutes at a time.  When the lag clears up, they all pop open with the correct page.

During the lag spikes I can browse other websites just fine, so it's not my internet (although it could be my direct connection to MMORPG.com that gets occasionally stalled).

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem?  It's not overly common though .. it seems to happen here and there, while I'm connected .. maybe only a few times per week, that I notice anyways.  Considering I may stay logged on but do not engage in website activities it might happen more .. dunno.

ps - on a site note without creating a new thread for this, is it possible to have an EverQuest Next subforum?  There is much to discuss, and I'd love to be able to have a consolidation of recent SOE quotes and such in one area.  Thanks!

I would highly recommend going to this page and testing for mmorpg.com and your browser  http://www.webpagetest.org/

Let it run a few times and then look at ALL the results.  I might show a problem or loooooong load.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Nitth

LOL "lag"!.

*grin*

For the OP, I get those too.  For a while it was chronic, then it cleared up, but it's been back again the last week or so.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    I notice lag here as well sometimes.  Seems like most sites with heavy traffic get lag now and again though.