Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Words you wish MMO players would stop using

123457»

Comments

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Ripper X saying EPIC every other word in his video's makes me want to choke him out.

Gosh I thought he made people want to do that in general, wasnt aware it was just the word EPIC causing it ....

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    AAA.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar
    rouge

this ^ ^

I'll bet their face is red about that... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

"rouge" and "rediculous". Mostly because they are misspelled, but also because I can't tell if someone is misspelling the words on purpose or not. Rather than using the words with any sort of context, they are just being used instead of "rogue" and "ridiculous".

I think "real" takes the crown though. As in "real sandbox" or "real mmo".

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by grimgryphon
    What are the words that drive you crazy and why?I guess my entry would be:Hyperbole: Way too overused and usually incorrectly. It doesn't make you sound more intelligent.  Nothing says, "I'm in my first year at community college and I just learned a new word" like the term hyperbole.

What if you pronounce it "high per bowl"?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

"gay" as an insult or negative meaning.

Also, "lol" in every other sentence.

Then there is the "LF DPS" or "i am DPS".... "I am a Tank/Healer/Hybrid/Support" is fine, since they are actual descriptions of roles. DPS is not a role description. Spell it out "I am a Damage Per Second"... BLARHG?! If "Damage Dealer" is to long, use "DD".

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    Originally posted by timtrack

Then there is the "LF DPS" or "i am DPS".... "I am a Tank/Healer/Hybrid/Support" is fine, since they are actual descriptions of roles. DPS is not a role description. Spell it out "I am a Damage Per Second"... BLARHG?! If "Damage Dealer" is to long, use "DD".

I think that last one is a bit stupid... DD means "Direct Damage" already, in MMO's. It does not mean "Damage Dealer." DPS, as that is the role of the individual (as opposed to healing or tanking) is the only appropriate short hand thing to say.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Desirsar

Honestly, I can't decide if "lag" or "mob" bothers me more.

Is there some gross misuse of mob?  I've seen it as a shortened form of mobile or monster object.  Not really sure the origin other than I think it's from MUDs.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Troll/trolling.

I am SO tired of cheap and mindless critique. IF someone is a Troll you ignore. People simply over-use the phrase to the point where it became meaningless and mostly sheds a bad light on the accusator, rather.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    nubcake!
  • killamjlkillamjl Member UncommonPosts: 27

Wow no one said  GRATS yet

grats....

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by killamjl

Wow no one said  GRATS yet

grats....

I know a lot of people who say grats in real life. It happens quite often at work lol. Although we are an office full of software developers so everyone is kind of a gamer.

Would congrats be better? Or still too short?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Easily number one word that should be banned from the gamer lexicon is "WoW-Clone".  If I hear another game called a WoW-Clone  I might just lose it lol.
  • wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

Troll, seems like people use this word today when there is a thread they do not agree with, seems like allot of folks just don't know what the term troll really means.

In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /?tro?l/, /?tr?l/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3] The noun troll may also refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."