Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Hype vs Developer Hype

-Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

I noticed an article that was published that had some things said about hype.  The way I look at it is there are two types of hype:  Player Hype and Developer Hype.  When players want something diffrent, something they like, they hype it up.  When a developer wants to sell a product, they hype up their game (advertisements are a good way of doing that). 

Lets look at two games that have the two diffrent types of hype.

Darkfall Unholy Wars - Player hype.  

Developers are not advertising their product, they are working on it (currently in beta).  Players knew how the game was before but were let down by a small company that was getting overloaded (11 dev's at first launch... lol).  They have learned their lessons but focus on the game instead of hype.

Guild Wars 2 - Developer hype.  

There were advertisements everywhere for this game (and still are).  They also had a first version of the game behind them along with a major publisher.  Yes, they had a huge budget for the game to pay for a hype campaign (which worked, 2 million players say so).  If they were a small company doing the same the product would be crap (developers hyping instead of working on the game).

I think player hype is more healthy than developer hype.  Players know when they see something they like.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

I noticed an article that was published that had some things said about hype.  The way I look at it is there are two types of hype:  Player Hype and Developer Hype.  When players want something diffrent, something they like, they hype it up.  When a developer wants to sell a product, they hype up their game (advertisements are a good way of doing that). 

Lets look at two games that have the two diffrent types of hype.

Darkfall Unholy Wars - Player hype.  

Developers are not advertising their product, they are working on it (currently in beta).  Players knew how the game was before but were let down by a small company that was getting overloaded (11 dev's at first launch... lol).  They have learned their lessons but focus on the game instead of hype.

Guild Wars 2 - Developer hype.  

There were advertisements everywhere for this game (and still are).  They also had a first version of the game behind them along with a major publisher.  Yes, they had a huge budget for the game to pay for a hype campaign (which worked, 2 million players say so).  If they were a small company doing the same the product would be crap (developers hyping instead of working on the game).

I think player hype is more healthy than developer hype.  Players know when they see something they like.

Is it not player hype when those 2million players keep playing? I don't get the point of this, advertisement is a good thing, Arenanet does not hold you down and make you play GW2 you do it but you like it.

Darkfall failed because the game was bad, not because they did not advertise enough.

I hope DarkFall Unholy Wars makes its but in most likely hood it will be a the same shit new skin and will fail all the same.

SW:TOR had massive advertisement and still failed comparable to what they wanted to happen.

Advertising a game is not a bad thing, I can't make you like chicken if you don't like it but I can make it seem good enough to were you will try it.

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158

Player hype no matter what is only useful to generate a solid base. It's useless if you aim to expand.

To attract the maximun number or players/customers you need to invest into publisher's hype.

Retention is another matter altogether.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Guild Wars 2 had an awful lot of hype long before ArenaNet paid for advertisements beyond posting some stuff on their own web site.