Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice to totally new, interested players.

Without discussing the game in depth or even any specifics at all since it's still under NDA. I can say that this game like everyone  already knows, caters to a  certain playerbase and if you fit into this playerbase I think it will definately be worth a try at the very least.

In my case., my favorite MMO to date was Lineage 2, I think you can base a lot off of your favorite MMO experience. I spent about 6 years off/on playing that game. It has changed a lot over the years, but as far as I know even now the core gameplay is still the same. That gameplay involves progressing your character through mostly grind/repitition and farming items/money in order to PVP, virtually no quests to be found that were worth doing aside from a handful throughout the entire game. The whole sole goal was to get your character to it's prime potential to give you the best tool possible for pvp. This may seem one dimensional, but it did provide you an ongoing goal...from lvl 1 until cap and after.

The reason why this one goal was enough to drive me to play and GRIND on many different servers (private and retail) over several years is because the PVP, in my estimation was amazing. The character movement was point and click, the skills were all just normal hotkeys without any proccing skills on block or evade etc. the combat was mostly simple and not that great compared to other games out at the time. But what made the PVP stand out to me above all others was, risk vs reward.

The excitement and adrenline rush that I felt in a PVP situation was unlike any other game. When you lost a fight you lost exp, and especially on the retail server (normal exp rates) that could amount to an hour or more worth of GRIND. But if you won, the feeling you felt was overwhelmeing accomplishment..not only did you make your enemy taste the bitter exp loss, but you avoided it. This loss is something missing from most other games, and it takes away from the rush of PVP for me. If you just die and hit the respawn button and have to do a run to a gravestone or just ressurect at the nearest town without a penalty, there is no emotion involved. It does not make you cringe at seeing something taken away, it also doesn't make you want to avenge your death nearly as much or drive you to get better quicker, for me.

The reward for pvp in Lineage 2 was various things, ranging from status which most games have to a degree, to winning a castle that your clan gets to own and collect taxes on for 2 weeks from anyone in the city, or winning rights to kill a raid boss who could drop epic jewelry only attainable at that raid. These rewards made your victories mean something in the context of the game rather than just bragging rights. It made me want to be there for every fight, to help my team win and bask together in the spoils of war afterward.

After quitting Lineage 2 and moving on I tried various MMO's from WoW,Aion,CoH,TERA,FFXIV, and tons of F2P games I could never find a game that gave you that drive to PVP the way Lienage 2 had for me. Sure they all have various forms of pvp (besides FFXIV) but none of them came close to the pure addiction level that the Lineage 2 pvp system offered, from player politics among clans and just interaction with everyone on the server. You wanted to make friends who would lateron fight alongside you, you were not given a set faction and told by the game mechanic that you are sworn enemies with others. You had reasons to dislike your enemies aside from their chosen race, from scamming you or your clan, to pking you or a host of other things.

Once hearing Darkfall UW was being developed I got very excited. I never tried Darkfall (mostly do to the graphics, yeah I suck I know), but from what I read about the original Darkfall it had a very similar dynamic to Lineage 2. Player/clan driven server politics, risk vs reward pvp, no factions etc. But it also has a vastly updated combat system compared to the point and click Lineage 2 offers.

So in closing if what I discribed about Lineage 2 sounds interesting and extremely fun to you compared to the typical themepark/battleground/faction setup, I think you should get at least alittle excited about Darkfall UW. Not many games like this come out, and if they aren't supported even less will in the future.

But you must be able to see yourself having enough of a drive to skill up (GRIND) and learn your character almost soley for the purpose of PVP and get involved in the server/clan politics, like I had for years.

My advice is, If you feel like pvp alone isn't enough to keep you interested even though its dynamic and has a  risk/reward factor tied into it.  The other things offered in the game "will probably" not be enough to keep you interested and feel lackluster when compared to the competition, just like the PVE/RAIDING/CRAFTING and almost everything aside form PVP did in Lineage 2. Oh and you must like to put your GRIND face on :D

EDIT: Spelling

Comments

• jahgreenjahgreen Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Played L2 and Orig DF. That being said I do not feel UW has that much of grind per say. But I like your positive post and realism and you def like to PVP to play DF:UW that is all.
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

The origional Darkfall, before the numerous reductions to grind and the medatation (offline skill gains) had a progression that was on par or greater than L2, considering DF 1.0 and to some degree 2.0 is you leveling 4 alts combined into one character.

2.0 nixed a lot of this with roles, removing an issue from 1.0 where everyone was the same "every role at the same time during one combat encounter"  This is suppose to add balance and make it considerably faster to get competative in the role your most interested in.

There is also a new system in the game that gives you lose directions as to what you can do next in game, which should alleivate the wow-park conditioned noobs from complaining that theres nothing to do, a common issue in all sandboxes when dealing with this crowd.  Its actually an enjoyable system that even vets of 1.0 and new players seem to enjoy, retaining its open sandbox feel and no hand holding while giving goals if you want.

I think the main thing new players need to consider is:

1. gear is very easily obtainable, theres no repair on gear so when the durability runs out it breaks.  You lose your gear quick either through pve'ing in peace or pvp.  

2. Your more likely to lose gear in pve than pvp.  After the initial launch where anything is of value, people will have gear bags full of sets up the wazoo.  Once this initial phase is over where youll be looted dry (mostly of mob drop crap gear mind you) you will be more likely to use fully the gear and have it break than to have someone take it.  Consumables and mats another story. Gear becomes somewhat worthless aside from enchanted and high end gear that youll only really use in a group.

3. This is a clan vs clan warfare game.  This is the main focus.  You join a clan, you siege other clans to take their cities. Citites provide amenities in the wilderness away from safe main citites.  This means you can farm stuff with a bit more saftey since a trip to the bank isnt a pain.

4.  Learn to bank often in this game.  You will not be farming for four hours untill you get what you need.  That four hour farm sessions needs to be broken up with 4-8 bank trips.

5. if its anything like 1.0....you dont need max stats to compete.  one missed shot would negate months of skill advantages in 1.0 since all gains were fractional.  The only huge disadvantage was not having active skills in the upper ranks, and not having them maxed and presurged (surge was a crit that would occur when a skill hit 100.00 and then after use the skill would drop back and then once you used it enough to get it to 100.00 you would save it for an insta crit)  surges are gone as are the high level rape skills (you get those early now)

Thats about it.  Also, consider that this game is and will be by far the most playable, stable and enjoyable of all the other full loot sandboxes that are either dead now or stuck in permanant alpha mode.  No matter what people say about how "unfinished" or how the game is forever in beta, as they did with 1.0, the game will be lightyears ahead of the competition.

If you want a full loot sandbox with a focus on combat and clan vs clan territory warfare....this is the only game out there.

• skorner64skorner64 Member Posts: 47

@Crunchy222

I can tell you know a lot about the original Darkfall, as well as the upcoming Unholy Wars. Also from what I've played in beta and read about the original and this version, I agree with everything you said when it comes to gear being replaceable and a death to another player not being the end of the world. If you bank often while you farm the materials and or rare/valuable things will be safe within the bank, the stuff the enemy will get is all decently easy and not a huge time sync to replace at all once you play for awhile. You just must remember to bank things you care for often. So the risk isn't as large as one would think from just reading about the game, but there still is a risk and loss menial if you bank often, could be fairly large if you forget to.

As for the other points I agree as well, I think your post may help to clear up some of the misconceptions and assumptions of the game. My post was more of trying to explain the feeling and difference of pvping with consequence and meaning in a game like Lienage 2/Darkfall compared to JUST bragging rights or fun. It feels very different for me between the 2 types of pvp, and if someone is craving what I explained in the OP I beleive they should check the game out, on release. If they don't think it's enough to keep them entertained, or they don't really have a preference in type of PVP maybe wait it out. 

• TigerDriverTigerDriver Member Posts: 43

played DF1 till last sept, and played probably every closed beta MMO in the last 5 years.

Calling DF: UW a beta is a joke and dishonest to people pre-ordering this game. The game is at the alpha stage~ at best. I can't think of a single beta that was this poorly coded except maybe the early days of Mortal Online.

/and no, saying its a poorly coded mess doesnt break the NDA. Posting any opinion threads about who would like this game is a waste of time because this thing is long way off from release and will change a lot in the time prior to release.

• skorner64skorner64 Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by TigerDriver

played DF1 till last sept, and played probably every closed beta MMO in the last 5 years.

Calling DF: UW a beta is a joke and dishonest to people pre-ordering this game. The game is at the alpha stage~ at best. I can't think of a single beta that was this poorly coded except maybe the early days of Mortal Online.

/and no, saying its a poorly coded mess doesnt break the NDA. Posting any opinion threads about who would like this game is a waste of time because this thing is long way off from release and will change a lot in the time prior to release.

I agree that it's very early into development content wise, but I wouldn't say its badly coded, every beta has issues.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

You complain about this being in alpha when they clearly advised you this beta version of the game will run in debug mode. Why don't you save your feedback for after they release the regular client?

• gchris7gchris7 Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by TigerDriver played DF1 till last sept, and played probably every closed beta MMO in the last 5 years.   Calling DF: UW a beta is a joke and dishonest to people pre-ordering this game. The game is at the alpha stage~ at best. I can't think of a single beta that was this poorly coded except maybe the early days of Mortal Online.   /and no, saying its a poorly coded mess doesnt break the NDA. Posting any opinion threads about who would like this game is a waste of time because this thing is long way off from release and will change a lot in the time prior to release.

This post is a complete and utter bullshit.
    There is one single serious bug that needs to be fixed and once thats done the game will be at a very playable state. Also, there is no poor code, this is a lie as well, the game is polished as fuck compared to what DF1 was.

Now with that said, like any other new mmorpg, DFUW will need tweaks and balancing in many areas and also there are features that will be added after launch.

• TigerDriverTigerDriver Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by gchris7

Originally posted by TigerDriver played DF1 till last sept, and played probably every closed beta MMO in the last 5 years.   Calling DF: UW a beta is a joke and dishonest to people pre-ordering this game. The game is at the alpha stage~ at best. I can't think of a single beta that was this poorly coded except maybe the early days of Mortal Online.   /and no, saying its a poorly coded mess doesnt break the NDA. Posting any opinion threads about who would like this game is a waste of time because this thing is long way off from release and will change a lot in the time prior to release.

There is one single serious bug that needs to be fixed and once thats done the game will be at a very playable state. Also, there is no poor code, this is a lie as well, the game is polished as fuck compared to what DF1 was.

Now with that said, like any other new mmorpg, DFUW will need tweaks and balancing in many areas and also there are features that will be added after launch.

You mean your post is full of shit right?

Because its not even close to finished compared to the DF1 beta and think how bad that release was. I'm going to enjoy watching the shit storm hit when they release the NDA.

....and I could crush 100+ FPS max'd in DF1, and I can barely hit 60 on low settings in DF:UW. And its not because I'm running in debug mode.

• gchris7gchris7 Member Posts: 73

Because its not even close to finished compared to the DF1 beta and think how bad that release was. I'm going to enjoy watching the shit storm hit when they release the NDA.

....and I could crush 100+ FPS max'd in DF1, and I can barely hit 60 on low settings in DF:UW. And its not because I'm running in debug mode.

Not even close DF1 beta? Get real dude. You are clueless.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Thank you o.p for this post. I had been interested in this as a sand-box game, but after your post I'm well advised that I will hate this game. Maybe it will get better toward launch and I'll give a trial (assuming there is a meaningful one, not some kind of 2-3 day thing, that isn't even worth downloading) a try. Will be interesting to hear the independent reviews when it re-launches. I absolutely despised lineage 1, and 2. Found them horrendously tedious, boring, awful "community", so if this game is like those, I will happily stay -far- away! thank you for the info.! You save me disappointment waiting on a game I'll very likely HATE.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by saker

Thank you o.p for this post. I had been interested in this as a sand-box game, but after your post I'm well advised that I will hate this game. Maybe it will get better toward launch and I'll give a trial (assuming there is a meaningful one, not some kind of 2-3 day thing, that isn't even worth downloading) a try. Will be interesting to hear the independent reviews when it re-launches. I absolutely despised lineage 1, and 2. Found them horrendously tedious, boring, awful "community", so if this game is like those, I will happily stay -far- away! thank you for the info.! You save me disappointment waiting on a game I'll very likely HATE.

Game has nothing to do, and is in no way like lineage 1 or 2.  Not even in a remote metaphorical way.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    One thing alot of people tend to forget is that Av is quite a small company compared to that large AAA companies that people all know, Development/fixes take alot longer than people expect since its not a big company. But saying that small companies are the only one giving us somthing different atm than whats out there currently (wow clones over and over for the last 8 years sigh). Also with beta remark earlier, apha is usualy done internal testing/hired testers and then beta come out to the public seeing that AV is a smaller company there only so much they they can test within there company/hired testers which is why the beta seems a little less complete than what people are expected to with AAA development. Anywho whats im trying to say is take into the account of the company size when ur compare thing to other games because they usualy always egt compared to AAA games and its not fair making these comparisons for small companies.
  • KoreanSoWhatKoreanSoWhat Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by skorner64

Without discussing the game in depth or even any specifics at all since it's still under NDA. I can say that this game like everyone  already knows, caters to a  certain playerbase and if you fit into this playerbase I think it will definately be worth a try at the very least.

In my case., my favorite MMO to date was Lineage 2, <------------------=

This is as much as I read and then I stopped reading.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I have to agree with this guy.

I was watching a friend in the alpha/beta play and the coding is a serious problem.

And the bigger problems in there are not: "This NPC doesn't talk," or "That NPC is stuck into a wall," kind of things. Those kinds of things are there, and are more or less expected.

The problems are or seem to be systematic. Things run slowly, or poorly, or do not render well or magically "appear" because of server side lag. And things like that are much harder to fix.

And I won't touch on some of the game mechanics, which are not particularly well thought out in places, again.

By comparison, I was in the FE alpha/beta for a year, and that game was far ahead of DF2 in almost every way, on the technical side.

DF2 might eventually end up being a decent game (if you like this kind of playstyle), but if people were expecting something different, quality wise, compared to the launch of DF, they won't be getting it.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    One thing alot of people tend to forget is that Av is quite a small company compared to that large AAA companies that people all know, Development/fixes take alot longer than people expect since its not a big company. But saying that small companies are the only one giving us somthing different atm than whats out there currently (wow clones over and over for the last 8 years sigh). Also with beta remark earlier, apha is usualy done internal testing/hired testers and then beta come out to the public seeing that AV is a smaller company there only so much they they can test within there company/hired testers which is why the beta seems a little less complete than what people are expected to with AAA development. Anywho whats im trying to say is take into the account of the company size when ur compare thing to other games because they usualy always egt compared to AAA games and its not fair making these comparisons for small companies.

If they are charging the same price, then they get held to the same standards.

I don't care if a company has 5 employees or 500. And frankly it is not my problem that AV is "small".

It is AV's problem if the game runs poorly because it is badly coded, and don't/can't fix it.

And thus, a game gets a bad reputation and people don't buy.

AV is a company, not a charity, and they don't get a free pass on doing sub-standard work.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

I guess the concept of a graphics upgrade was lost on you?  There's a reason AV raised the minium system specs. image

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I'm hoping this is going to be more than a large arena.  Not sure if anyone can say anything about the PvE, but is it more worthwhile/interesting than the first DF?  Would be nice to have viable PvP and PvE.
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    I'm hoping this is going to be more than a large arena.  Not sure if anyone can say anything about the PvE, but is it more worthwhile/interesting than the first DF?  Would be nice to have viable PvP and PvE.

"Signs point to yes"

• MoriteMorite Member UncommonPosts: 36

Wow so many people trying to misinform the community here.

I wont correct all the dribble but I cant find a grind in DFUW, first role is maxed within weeks as a casual.

Of course its an MMO but its a hell lot less grindy then for example WoW.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Errr well sure the game is not ready for release but saying its in an alpha state is just not true at all..

Alpha tests are there to test the core mechanics of the game engine.. beta is there to test the gameplay mechanics.. yes there will be few core engine bugs in the beta due to the sheer numbers testing compared to alpha..

Anyway the game is in an early to mid beta state and yes not ready for release and was no where near ready for release in nov let alone dec... LOL

Originally posted by Caldrin

Anyway the game is in an early to mid beta state and yes not ready for release and was no where near ready for release in nov let alone dec... LOL

Thus the backlash...AV intentionally lied  about to games status to sell preorders.

• MoriteMorite Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Mardukk

PVE is definitely a lot worse than before.