Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[VIDEO] Sandbox MMO's comming out in 2013

Comments

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Subbed - because you said you'll cover the games as they release.

Looking forward to it.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         i'm always a little skeptical of sandbox games because while there are no supposed limits to what yo ucan do, usually there ends up being nothing to do other than kill each other and take their stuff.....Also while so many hate the level system, the skill system is basically the same thing in a different skin.....
  • ObzzarverObzzarver Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by PieRad

Subbed - because you said you'll cover the games as they release.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks, and yes I am :)

I've got access secured for many of them simply from kickstarter backing or press contacts. Working on access to the rest. Looking forwards to it as well :)

Honest none-summarized friendly gameplay videos with commentary: MMO previews / Gametesting / Let's Play:

www.youtube.com/user/Obzzarver

Originally posted by Theocritus
         i'm always a little skeptical of sandbox games because while there are no supposed limits to what yo ucan do, usually there ends up being nothing to do other than kill each other and take their stuff.....Also while so many hate the level system, the skill system is basically the same thing in a different skin.....

A good sandbox is in pretty much by definition absolutely nothing to do. ..that someone has made for you to do that is.

A good sandbox is a powerfull toolset that inspires players to create endless amounts of entertainment for themselves.

Unfortunately we rarely see a good sandbox, so I share your concern, but remain hopeful :)

Honest none-summarized friendly gameplay videos with commentary: MMO previews / Gametesting / Let's Play:

Originally posted by Sukiyaki
    Originally posted by Obzzarver
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Hey Guys,

I just did a video showing a taste of 14 Sandbox MMO's that is comming out in 2013 and later, tought for those of you that are sandbox fans this could be usefull :)

Let me know what you think :)

http://youtu.be/QHO2EMo5NZE

ArcheAge is a hybrid MMO it's themepark and some features you would find in a sandbox.

On top of that you left out Age Of Wushu.

We won't see ArcheAge in the west until 2014 at earliest  the first version outside Asia will be Russia.

Hm, I gota admit I never really paied close attention to Wushu, so I was not aware it was a sandbox. Thanks for the feedback, I've allready gotten enough info's from this thread and the comments, to half fill another video on the same subject :) Keep em comming.

Thats because Age of Wushu isnt a sandbox and wasnt ever advertised as such before shipping here. It a generic Chinese style fantasy/historical themed MMORPG with mostly traditional MMORPG elements as they are very common in Chinese and many other Asian MMORPGs. There are many people listing features as sandbox features, throwing words at you without explaining them and calling AoW a sandbox, that have nothing neccessarily to do with sandbox, are not features at all but simple objectvies/tasks and are just a really big stretch from reality.

If you decide to take a look at it I recommend to read up how the following stuff really works, not just what you expect. I emphasize this because it was far below any of my expectations. Some technical reviews, videos or just playing it for real. I empasize to look up especially the (lack of) consequences, lasting effects, and limitations most of them have.

guildfortifications/housingplayerstalls/vendor npcs, crimerate andbeheading, policing/patroling, spying and kidnapping, territorial control (static) farming, crafting and foodsystem.

I dont want to push my opinion on you so i tried to highlight some of the most popular "features" being constantly pointed at. I recomend to look them up before accepting and reciting them as features of a sandbox or relevant features at all. It wont take long as nothing is really deep or complex by traditional sandbox standards.

At beginning for me it was kind like "well okay doesnt irk me, next feature" but when it went on with almost any point of these "sandbox feature" lists flowing around about Age of Wushu I kinda felt like there is a conspiracy going on to mock me because almost nothing that is highlighted is actually in any way special, sandboxy or even just interesting.

So this whole thing is really about your disapointed by Age of Wushu? :D

I mean I can understand how, it's just you came off as if though you found it nearly insulting that wushu had not made it into the video.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Everquest Next?

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

Been a while since I kept up with everquest tbh, but last I checked it wasnt by any standard a sandbox? :)

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by madazz

Just curious, but do you guys ever have doubts in games like Black Desert and ArchAge due to where they are made? I know I do. Very large doubts. I actually can't think of one game from Korea that I really loved. Usually its a pretty cool system and what not but for some reason I feel like the games are hollow. Now don't get me wrong, I'll probably keep an eye on these games (thanks for pointing out Black Desert), but my expectations are very very low.

Either way, thanks for the vid man!

I always have doubts when it comes to MMORPGs, but not because of their country of origin. My favorite MMORPG of all time is Mabinogi which is created by Devcat, a Korean developer. It has more depth and longevity than any of the modern MMORPGs I've played in recent years. That and the fact that it's unique. There's no other game in the genre quite like it. A lot of terrible games come out of Asia, but the same can be said for the western world. I mean, we've had derivative themepark after derivative themepark, so why don't you curse western development?

This just in: The genre has been flooded by subpar, unimaginative games for years. It isn't exclusive to Asia, North America, Jupiter, etc. It's now 2013, and developers/publishers have finally realized that they can't just pump out their WoW-with-a-slight-twist and expect it to be successful.

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Black Deserts, ArcheAge and Pathfinder Online looks like something that I will keep my eye on... only problem is if I can't decide which of them is the better one. :D
    Been a while since I kept up with everquest tbh, but last I checked it wasnt by any standard a sandbox? :)

~35% sandbox and ~65% themepark which is more sandbox than most MMORPGs these days. ;)

• KarnijKarnij Member Posts: 6
    Great video!

:P

Originally posted by madazz

Just curious, but do you guys ever have doubts in games like Black Desert and ArchAge due to where they are made? I know I do. Very large doubts. I actually can't think of one game from Korea that I really loved. Usually its a pretty cool system and what not but for some reason I feel like the games are hollow. Now don't get me wrong, I'll probably keep an eye on these games (thanks for pointing out Black Desert), but my expectations are very very low.

Either way, thanks for the vid man!

In 2013 maybe the south koreans learned how to make sandbox games or at least games that are not so boring and tedious as their old games. ;)

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Really nice video and some nice looking games there,Thank you :)

I have read some info on Pathfinder Online and it seems that it goes beta in 2014 and live in 2016 if it doesn't get aborted like so many other MMORPGs.

So for me it's between Black Deserts and ArcheAge now and ArcheAge probably gets released first in the west since so little information is coming about Black Deserts so I guess that I have my hybrid themepark / sandbox MMORPG for 2013 which is great but sad that Pathfinder Online is so far into the future.

Originally posted by DancingQueen
    Black Deserts, ArcheAge and Pathfinder Online looks like something that I will keep my eye on... only problem is if I can't decide which of them is the better one. :D

I have that problem too, so my sollution is try them all :)

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    I'm keep an eye on all the upcoming new sandbox MMOs but preordering none regardless of how good they are.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• gamesrfungamesrfun Member Posts: 127

Thank you for this list. 

Greatly appreciated.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I'd like to take the time to thank you for making that video.  Very cool, & very informative!

While I knew some of the details for those games, you provided the rest.  Thanks!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli

I'd like to take the time to thank you for making that video.  Very cool, & very informative!

While I knew some of the details for those games, you provided the rest.  Thanks!

Thank you very much friend :) I am very happy about all these positive feedbacks

~35% sandbox and ~65% themepark which is more sandbox than most MMORPGs these days. ;)

Guess Ill check it out for the next vid then :)

I hope you meant the first EQ released in 1999 because EQ Next will be the most sandboxy EQ ever according to John Smedley.

I hope you meant the first EQ released in 1999 because EQ Next will be the most sandboxy EQ ever according to John Smedley.

Well that and the 2nd, both of which I only briefly tested :) I have little knowledge of the new one because I (falsely) assumed it would follow the footsteps of it's predecessors.

Well that and the 2nd, both of which I only briefly tested :) I have little knowledge of the new one because I (falsely) assumed it would follow the footsteps of it's predecessors.

I think that EQ2 tried to compete with WoW so it's much more themepark oriented than the first EQ.

I think that EQ2 tried to compete with WoW so it's much more themepark oriented than the first EQ.

Sweet, thats good news. I really love how things are developing for the first time in years

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219