Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Official forums are an utter nonsense

GorweGorwe ZagrebPosts: 2,472Member Uncommon

I can't believe at the level of etiquette required to post there. It is Like you are at the PM(Prime Minister)'s House. Such nonsense-I am on the net to sound Like me and not Like some random drone.

Anyways, I called another member "nitwit". And that's like a serious offense. If I did there what I had done here, there would be police(ye olde Bill with that signal stripe on the hat :D) on my doorstep...

Sheeesh! Give me a break, will you?

Comments

• shayneforushayneforu Reeds Spring, MOPosts: 69Member
    I'm sure NITWIT was very constructive and helpful in the thread you responded too... stupid rules
  • raistlinmraistlinm new orleans, LAPosts: 673Member
    Originally posted by Gorwe

I can't believe at the level of etiquette required to post there. It is Like you are at the PM(Prime Minister)'s House. Such nonsense-I am on the net to sound Like me and not Like some random drone.

Anyways, I called another member "nitwit". And that's like a serious offense. If I did there what I had done here, there would be police(ye olde Bill with that signal stripe on the hat :D) on my doorstep...

Sheeesh! Give me a break, will you?

As I understand it calling someone a nitwit would be against the terms of service in most forums the difference is that it seems maybe ANET actually takes all violations seriously and honestly good for them for that.

as the first responder pointed out you have to understand calling someone a name like that does nothing to actually advance the discussion just makes you look like a troll for the most part.

I could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet even here on mmorpg you are going to have a hard time finding people who agree with you.

• FalcomithFalcomith Hastings, FLPosts: 800Member
    And name calling is not nonsense?? I am glad they are trying to make a friendly atmosphere. Allot of Mods in other forums let things go on and on.
  • Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Systems CommonwealthPosts: 238Member Uncommon
    Well, let's be fair, the word Nitwit has probably seen extensive use this week, and some mod or developer might be a tad sensitive about it ATM.  It's kind of like saying the wrong word to a baseball umpire and getting tossed - the word can change from day to day, hour to hour, minute to minute.

• GorweGorwe ZagrebPosts: 2,472Member Uncommon

It actually was. Because they started to get flame ready and I stepped in to explain things. It all happened because random guy used my acronym(you'll hear about that acronym soon enough :D) and didn't explain what it actually stood for. Plus if people get offended at stuff like Fool/Plonker/Wallie/Nitwit-it's their fault and not mine. It's my way of speaking so get used to it(and not only mine!)...

Anyhow, use EXTREMELY polite expressions if you wind up there. Behave Like you are at Pope's Palace...

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,498Member Uncommon

It actually was. Because they started to get flame ready and I stepped in to explain things. It all happened because random guy used my acronym(you'll hear about that acronym soon enough :D) and didn't explain what it actually stood for. Plus if people get offended at stuff like Fool/Plonker/Wallie/Nitwit-it's their fault and not mine. It's my way of speaking so get used to it(and not only mine!)...

Anyhow, use EXTREMELY polite expressions if you wind up there. Behave Like you are at Pope's Palace...

Or just don't call people stupid.

• YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member
    Stay away from official forums. That's where the vicious fanboys are nesting!
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Montreal, QCPosts: 599Member Uncommon
    and everyones wanted a official forums for gw2. there you have it lol.  if i have tehnical problem with the game i go there and wait for a good anwser or ask here.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

Isn't it stupid to argume over something you know NOTHING about? Then I, jokingly, called him a nitwit(if I wanted to offend anyone I'd have used WAAAY harsher words). That Word was, basically, a summary of the whole Topic...

Meh. Awesome game-fail Community...

• FalcomithFalcomith Hastings, FLPosts: 800Member

I think the reason they do draw a line is, typed words cant necessarily translate if you are kidding or really mean it in a hurtful way all the time. I use some of those same words you mentioned in person to person conversations jokingly, but try not to online to prevent misinterpetation. So I guess in order to keep things from being blown out of proportion there sometimes have to have strict rules to help prevent these things. 

• NacarioNacario World Wide WebPosts: 217Member
    i remember calling a mod "snarky"  on release day cuz i had an error with my box key, he didn't like that very much in his wording, but hey, at least i didnt get a warning :D
  • syntax42syntax42 Columbus, OHPosts: 1,305Member Uncommon

Plus if people get offended at stuff like Fool/Plonker/Wallie/Nitwit-it's their fault and not mine. 

Just like it was the other guy's fault for standing in front of the bullet after I fired it from my gun...

Rules exist to set a framework for activities.  Go outside the framework and expect to be punished.  If you don't like the rules, find some place else to vent your insults and anger.

You also seem to have a hatred for those who correct others' grammar.  Again, this is a case of following rules of the written English language.  If we all decide to stop following those rules, you might type, "I like cake," but another person would read it and think you meant, "I like being punched in the face."  That is just a worst-case scenario of a language losing its meaning, but you can understand where miscommunication might occur due to failure to follow predetermined rules.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Freeland, MI, MIPosts: 1,122Member
    Attacking other members is attacking other members.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

An attack?

That would be just like I hugged a stranger or if I touched someone with a feather lol.

But, in the strictest meaning possible(Legal Definitions), I guess it was my fault. But still, what levels of carebear attidute(sheeesh it's off the scale)...

And so strict! I'll say following so who understands, understands: J->200, P->-100 lol!

• someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,538Member Uncommon

I'm glad that they just punish you for being offensive regardless of what particular words you use.

On a lot of forums you can insult in many ways as long as if you avoid certain name calling words. Even if the intention is clear. Which makes their rules a joke imo.

• illyanaillyana quezon cityPosts: 614Member

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,133Member Uncommon

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Belleville, ONPosts: 1,108Member

An attack?

That would be just like I hugged a stranger or if I touched someone with a feather lol.

But, in the strictest meaning possible(Legal Definitions), I guess it was my fault. But still, what levels of carebear attidute(sheeesh it's off the scale)...

And so strict! I'll say following so who understands, understands: J->200, P->-100 lol!

I was with a friend just getting out of a parked car when a drunken idiot drove into the back of his car ....the idiot jumped out of the car cursing and swearing ..my friend said in a nice calm voice get back into your car untill the police arrive or "I'll bonk you on the nose"....my friend was charged with uttering a death threat .Perhaps you should put things into contex while talking about a forum post .

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,506Member Uncommon

Calling another poster anything is name calling. You could have called him a fire hydrant, its name calling. So if you have the option of just not doing it period.

Name calling does Not promote discussion.

But to each his own... 

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,506Member Uncommon

An attack?

Imagine you had a newborn baby only hours old, some stranger walks in the room with a feather and just wants to tickle your child.

Sure its an extreme case, but many people have their own boundaries as far as what they consider safe, and those are often very different from your own. Don't assume that what you deem harmless is the same for all people.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek londonPosts: 1,225Member Uncommon

Originally posted by illyana
    made my day reading the official forums https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE
    Lol that cracked me up, loved the reply Gaile gave him, short and to the point :)

I think it's admirable that Anet are trying to keep the forums free of name calling, it doesn't help the discussion.

• MaephistoMaephisto somewhere, DCPosts: 632Member
    Originally posted by eyelolled

This is hilarious.  Saved.

----------------------------------------

We all know the amount of people who come to this sub forum to hate on GW2.  I can only imagine what it is like on the official forums.  They probably see any and all name calling as a test of thier limits.  I have often thought that this may inhibit server pride in WvW dissuccions.  Maybe it is a good thing to let opponents get at eachothers throat every once and awhile, but only on the PvP boards.

I have tried to find a forum where people can openly discuss WvW topics without excessive moderation.  GW2guru is the best I could find.  They have pretty strict rules as well, though.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Woodstock, GAPosts: 1,378Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by sk8chalif
    and everyones wanted a official forums for gw2. there you have it lol.  if i have tehnical problem with the game i go there and wait for a good anwser or ask here.

Exactly. It's a damned if they do, damned if they don't scenario. If they allow this type of behavior, regardless of severity or intent, then their site and commmunity is a cesspool. If they try to snuff the bahavior, they are "utter nonsense" or mods on a power trip. I also agree, I don't go there for discussions for the exact same reasons as many have complained about the official forums. If I want help with a technical problem I'll go there and sift. If I want to read information (good or bad) and possibly have a discussion I come here. It's prettty simple really.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member

Heres the deal, calling peoples names and such is uncalled for. I do it all the time but I'm not some nitwit that doesn't understand that a lot of people are going to find it unacceptable especially in a community setting. Many of us here are insensitive prics, including me. They were in the right as is any place that moderates name calling. 

What is acceptable in your group of friends is not acceptable when discussing things with strangers especially in an open forum. It's manners, common courtesy, human decency, or w'/e you wish to use. 

Be whom ever you wish to be, but don't be a fool and think it's acceptable or right just because you think it should be lol. 

• ScalplessScalpless SnowballvillePosts: 1,395Member Uncommon

I've seen some good criticism of their modding policies, but this thread isn't it.

IMO they've got good mods. I'd rather read polite and well-constructed posts than typical MMO forum "y u sux so much noob?!" flame wars. Also, read the CoC. If you don't like what it says, don't post.