Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Topia: a sandbox game that needs your help!

blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Sorry if there has already been a thread on this game, but I just heard of it. There is currently a Kickstarter campaign running, and there isn't a lot of time left. I've never seen anything quite like what they are tying to do. It's like some kind of super-sandbox. Players have many of the powers that the developers do, everything from creating NPCs to designing scripts. It's definitely worth taking a look at. Even if you're not interested, yourself, you should pass along the word. It's a pretty unique game.

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

/bump - worth a look for sure. You can see more at the webpage too.

Eg copying a comment on the project page:

just to make you even more excited heres some more resorces:

Sandbox Alpha: http://www.topiaonline.com/Sandbox/Show

This has 3 modes, the third mode allows you to run some basic scripts. Keep in mind this is unfinished so theres a lot to work on.

Scripting forums: http://forum.topiaonline.com/viewforum.php…

Awesome place to meet people and check out some of the developed scripts.

Build A better Lumberjack: http://forum.topiaonline.com/viewtopic.php…

This thread started as a lumberjack post but people keep one-upping eachother. Try to make the most efficient script.

Other facts:

The devs have confirmed that there WILL be a pathfinding action implemented. So you don't need to worry about collision detection or anything like that.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I think the KS campaign has been at a very bad time also during the festive season. But agree marketing could have been better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I think we need a new panhandling forum here. All these KS threads... not exactly spam ads, but close.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin
    I think we need a new panhandling forum here. All these KS threads... not exactly spam ads, but close.

Maybe... but compare: Smedley comes out with a soundbite: "sandbox-style to EQ:N" and it gets a shed load of coverage - yet content is not exactly very high in that message. At least these KS threads might alert about an mmorpg with some content at the project page on the mmorpg?

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Yes exactly. Personally, I will be surprised if even one of these launches. I do wish them luck but see this as just another ploy to get people's money.

Let's not forget Stargate Worlds MMO, which misrepresented its progress and scammed investors for $millions. I remember being given the 'offer' to invest for $50k years ago. I declined. Glad I did.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Maybe... but compare: Smedley comes out with a soundbite: "sandbox-style to EQ:N" and it gets a shed load of coverage - yet content is not exactly very high in that message. At least these KS threads might alert about an mmorpg with some content at the project page on the mmorpg?

I hear you about the EQ:N coverage, bro. But there is just something about the proliferation of KS projects that I find dodgy and distasteful. Particularly the way they are institutionalizing the disturbing new trend of "pay to beta."

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Sorry but that looks like something from 15 years ago...
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I like it when people show enthusiasm and drive - though Topia is a game that never will take off imho.
    Kickstarter works if you have a classic IP or known Name in the genre.

Good concepts and a low visual appeal be not enough.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Im done with KS projects, too many I have supported are likely vaporware, or being lied to

Ill just wait for the next Blizz, EQNext or whatever goes to beta and try it then

Tired of getting excited for crappy games

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I completely agree.  Personally, I firmly believe that if they only post here if the game is failing on the KS site - it reeks of desperation.

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by Dibdabs

Originally posted by Iselin I think we need a new panhandling forum here. All these KS threads... not exactly spam ads, but close.
    I completely agree.  Personally, I firmly believe that if they only post here if the game is failing on the KS site - it reeks of desperation.

"They" meaning who? The developers? Since when is getting the word out on something desperate?

As for a panhandling forum... I mean, yeah, I can see how not clicking on something can quite strenuous.

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    SNES graphics? And cutting edge? Really? How can this game cost $50.000 dollars to make? I mean $5000 dollars should be more than enough.
    Originally posted by blognorg

Originally posted by Iselin I think we need a new panhandling forum here. All these KS threads... not exactly spam ads, but close.

"They" meaning who? The developers? Since when is getting the word out on something desperate?

As for a panhandling forum... I mean, yeah, I can see how not clicking on something can quite strenuous.

Using your "click or don't click" logic any homophobic or racist post would be allowed. But there are rules here... one of which reads:

Advertisements

• MMORPG.com does not allow users to advertise products or companies in our forums. If you want to advertise, contact [email protected].
    A lot of these Kickstarter posts--especially the ones for POS games that don't deserve any mention--are very close to being just ads with links to the KS panhandling page.

The minimum amount of detail about the linked games and the obligatory use of the buzz word "sandbox" apparently excempts these thinly disguised ads from being locked or deleted.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• PsiKahnPsiKahn Member Posts: 126
    I didn't know anything about this game, and I don't think I'll be backing it, but I think it's ok to bring these things to people's attention.  Ignore it if you want, or do the research and then ignore it, or back it.  Can't blame them for trying.  It'd be one thing if somebody was spamming about the same campaign over and over, but trying to plug a design you like doesn't equal spam.  Yeah, there are a lot of these games trying to get going on Kickstarter.  Maybe that's the annoying part.  I hope they don't cloud out really good projects.  Honestly I would hate to see crowdfunding become viable only for established IPs and well-known developers.
    Originally posted by PsiKahn
    I didn't know anything about this game, and I don't think I'll be backing it, but I think it's ok to bring these things to people's attention.  Ignore it if you want, or do the research and then ignore it, or back it.  Can't blame them for trying.  It'd be one thing if somebody was spamming about the same campaign over and over, but trying to plug a design you like doesn't equal spam.  Yeah, there are a lot of these games trying to get going on Kickstarter.  Maybe that's the annoying part.  I hope they don't cloud out really good projects.  Honestly I would hate to see crowdfunding become viable only for established IPs and well-known developers.

Exactly,

In terms of mmorpgs, the highest KS game was 

• Project Eternity ~4m$
    • Double Fine Adventure ~3.3m$
    • Wasteland 2 ~3m$
    • Planetary Annihilation ~2.2m$
    • Star Citizen - 2.1m$

It's only for very retro asset style mmorpg at eg 50k for topia online or as crowd-notifying/part development fund-raising eg Greedmonger ~500k$ or Pathfinder Online ~1m$, that for MMORPGs is workable it seems. I don't think any of these threads dent the chances of other mmorpgs, perhaps even allows devs to see what works and by how much? In fact they allow the people that ARE invested monetarily and emotionally to back and the rest who are not to ignore. Win-win.

Seems only if threads are started when there is already a thread or sub-forum for the game that it needs mods to action?
  • blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

[quote] Originally posted by Iselin

Originally posted by blognorg  

"They" meaning who? The developers? Since when is getting the word out on something desperate? As for a panhandling forum... I mean, yeah, I can see how not clicking on something can quite strenuous.
    Using your "click or don't click" logic any homophobic or racist post would be allowed. But there are rules here... one of which reads: Advertisements [list]
    [*] [b]MMORPG.com does not allow users to advertise products or companies in our forums. If you want to advertise, contact [[email protected]].[/b]
    [/list] A lot of these Kickstarter posts--especially the ones for POS games that don't deserve any mention--are very close to being just ads with links to the KS panhandling page.   The minimum amount of detail about the linked games and the obligatory use of the buzz word "sandbox" apparently excempts these thinly disguised ads from being locked or deleted.[/quote] 

Oh, wow. I never thought of it like that. You make a really good point... oh, wait; no you don't. Sorry, but raising awareness of an MMO on an MMO site is nothing like making a prejudice thread. Taking what I said out of context, then creating hyperbole is not an argument. If what I did violated their policies, then they would have informed me. I'm pretty sure that offending babies with esoteric sensitivities isn't very high on their ban list. And seeing as your opinion is the minority, there is the possibility that their website doesn't need to conform to your sensibilities. The very purpose of this forum is to talk about MMOs.