Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 7 or 8 for gaming desktop pc??

124»

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Quizzical

I'm not talking about the OS release date.  I'm talking about delaying major new hardware to have a release date that coincides with other, unrelated hardware that can't launch until several months or maybe even a year later.  The latter is definitely stupid.

Apple's iDevices have lately taken to releasing when the hardware is ready.  The iPad 4, for example, has a new generation CPU, and is one of only two tablets on the market that I'm aware of to do so.  (The Google Nexus 10 is the other.)  For Microsoft to leave the first generation Surface to compete against dramatically better hardware for a full year because they're waiting on the unrelated Xbox 720 would be really stupid.

Ah I see what you mean.

I thought you were calling the yearly (ish) release cycle really stupid - but as you put it here makes a whole hell of a lot of sense.

They might have to languish under inferior hardware to not piss people off TOO much that already bought it, not to coincide with the release of another unrelated product as you say (and that does make a lot of sense of course.)

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

My only dislike with win8 is multi monitor support was sketchy for me at the beginning, somehow it works fine now.

Other than that I get longer battery life from my alienware laptop running Win8, both laptops and desktop are rock solid stable, just like Win7 was, and I run a massive amount of games off Steam on Win8, they all run just fine. Not a single problem yet.

Plugged in my microsoft PC controller and everything works as intended. I can launch Steam with no problem. Every1 I play with from Steam have reported no problems yet, so I am a bit confused where all these people who do not own win8 somehow know that Steam is incompatible or causes major problems when ran on Win8. If there are any games that do not work with Win8 please let me know so I can avoid buying them.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No it is compatible.

They're confused because valve are opposed to win8 along with a few other big devs and lots of Indies
  • FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
    Originally posted by Nevulus

so I am a bit confused where all these people who do not own win8 somehow know that Steam is incompatible or causes major problems when ran on Win8. If there are any games that do not work with Win8 please let me know so I can avoid buying them.

I believe the confusion comes from the statement that Valve/Steam said they would not integrate into Windows 8.  Meaning they would not build there clients or games to run from the Metro screen as an app. Rather, that they would continue to install / run from Win 8 desktop. And so far this holds true. You can still setup a shortcut in the Metro UI for Steam, but it will close metro and open on the desktop when clicked on.

• residentxresidentx Member UncommonPosts: 123

Stay with Windows 7...I couldn't play City of Heroes when I upgraded. Missed the final bow of the game.  Starcraft 2 I had problems  cutscenes loading and achievements and had so canceled my HOTS pre-order. 

Windows 8 may be the future but it doesn't have enough support for the games available. Windows 7 is just solid.

Windows 8 can be run for tablet or desktop/laptop but until they start making touch games. Why bother with this beast.

This nonsense about Windows 8 being faster is nonsense. A fresh copy of Windows 7 is competitive.