Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player with some questions :)

Hey hey there, just picked up Vanguard due to recommendations from the mmorpg.com forums. I'm looking for somthing to ease my "old-timey mmorpg" nerve without going back to DAOC or EQ. But before i settle myself in this game i would like to get some ansvers.
  • Is it worth getting into this game as a new player now?
  • Is the leveling in this game doing millions of quests from questhubs until maxlevel, or is it more "old-timey" with campspawns and such? (i prefer the latter)
  • What class would you recommend me to start out with if i want to spend the most of my time in-game in groups/raids. Got my eyes on the cleric right now.
  • No instances, right?... right?!
  • Is there any guild (preferably in the EU-timezone) that would like to recruit a newbie to their guild? This is the first time i start playing a mmo without any RL-friends joining me, would really like to get to know some people in this game.

Comments

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Dowie
    Hey hey there, just picked up Vanguard due to recommendations from the mmorpg.com forums. I'm looking for somthing to ease my "old-timey mmorpg" nerve without going back to DAOC or EQ. But before i settle myself in this game i would like to get some ansvers.
    • Is the leveling in this game doing millions of quests from questhubs until maxlevel, or is it more "old-timey" with campspawns and such? (i prefer the latter)
    • What class would you recommend me to start out with if i want to spend the most of my time in-game in groups/raids. Got my eyes on the cleric right now.
    • Is there any guild (preferably in the EU-timezone) that would like to recruit a newbie to their guild? This is the first time i start playing a mmo without any RL-friends joining me, would really like to get to know some people in this game.

Is it worth getting into this game as a new player now?

I would say so, if you really want, you can level quite fast, especially in the group and there are people having alts of different levels.

Is the leveling in this game doing millions of quests from questhubs until maxlevel, or is it more "old-timey" with campspawns and such? (i prefer the latter)

it depends on you - it is milions of quests, but a lot of people who like the old grind style tends to ignore most of them and just walk around killing what they meet - world is big, so exploring in this way is great.

What class would you recommend me to start out with if i want to spend the most of my time in-game in groups/raids. Got my eyes on the cleric right now.

cannt really answer this one, since i am more of a casual solo crafter :), but i would definitelly give bard a look - its both welcomed in the groups and fun to play with its song-making.

No instances, right?... right?!

right

Is there any guild (preferably in the EU-timezone) that would like to recruit a newbie to their guild? This is the first time i start playing a mmo without any RL-friends joining me, would really like to get to know some people in this game.

just look here:

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/index.php?forums/guild-recruitment.22/

e.g. Cobra i am sure is mostly EU guild

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Benedikt
    Originally posted by Dowie

Is it worth getting into this game as a new player now?

I would say so, if you really want, you can level quite fast, especially in the group and there are people having alts of different levels.

Is the leveling in this game doing millions of quests from questhubs until maxlevel, or is it more "old-timey" with campspawns and such? (i prefer the latter)

it depends on you - it is milions of quests, but a lot of people who like the old grind style tends to ignore most of them and just walk around killing what they meet - world is big, so exploring in this way is great.

What class would you recommend me to start out with if i want to spend the most of my time in-game in groups/raids. Got my eyes on the cleric right now.

cannt really answer this one, since i am more of a casual solo crafter :), but i would definitelly give bard a look - its both welcomed in the groups and fun to play with its song-making.

No instances, right?... right?!

right

Is there any guild (preferably in the EU-timezone) that would like to recruit a newbie to their guild? This is the first time i start playing a mmo without any RL-friends joining me, would really like to get to know some people in this game.

just look here:

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/index.php?forums/guild-recruitment.22/

e.g. Cobra i am sure is mostly EU guild

Everything above is perfect.  I just want to add to it.

I just started back up last night.  It seems like F2P brought some people in, it does seem a little more populated than when I last left which was a little over a year ago I think.  I think it's a great time to start up.  Halgar is the EU server but it has a bit lower population than the other server.  If you want to play with all EU players than that's the choice, but I know a lot of EU players that play on Telon because of the population.

This game does have the option of leveling up solo through questing.  That's just the way it went to try to bring in more players.  The game also has some great group content and really well done non instanced dungeons.  I find groups all the time, and I'm not afraid to start a few either.  I will quest while I'm LFG/LFM or craft.  The game has some really cool quests too.  There are the obligatory "kill 10 rats" quests but there's also some very long chain quests that I find very fun.  There's some gear quests that are like this and mount quests that you really have to dedicate some time to complete. 

The question about what class is most wanted in groups is one that is asked often.  A lot of folks will tell you that you should play what you like and to be honest they are right.  You need to enjoy what you are playing in this game to stick with it.  Having said that, there are classes that are needed more than others and will get groups quicker, that's just the nature of the beast.  Here is my opinion on what that order is:

1 Tanks!  It always seems like these are needed more so than anything else.  Warrior and DK have the best AOE threat and can have an easier time in the dungeons because of it.  Pally is the best single target tank right now.  This is probably all getting reworked a bit so take that with a grain of salt.

2. Healers.  Not as much as tanks, but they are also needed.  You can't have a great group without one.  Your choice of cleric is a fine choice, one of the best healers in the game.  Disciple is an interresting healer class, it's a monk/healer and is the best solo class in the game.  Because of this there are a lot of them out there.  Take that for what you will.

3. Psionist and bard.  Both really good support classes.  Bard is a really fun class to play with a very interresting mechanic of making your own spells.  That's a very simple description of the mechanic, but I've never tried one to go into detail.  Psionist is the king of CC and has great buffs as well.  Every group does better with one than without.

4. DPS.  some awesome classes that are a ton of fun to play.  Some classes like Necro and Druid offer some utility but not as much as the two support classes I listed.  None as needed to form a group as the above classes. 

I play EST and I know you're EU.  If you jump in to the game on Teleon, PM me here and I'll add you as a friend in game and if the timezone thing ever makes it possible, I'll come buff/mentor and show ya around a bit.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Everything stated above is good input.

You question about spawn camping actually brought back good memories from my EQ days.  There is not spawn camping like in EQ (Hadden, Pyzgin, Ancient Cyclops), although I wish there was... I loved those camps and the possibility of encountering a rare spawn.  But since the world in Vanguard is not instanced, you still have the sense of rare mobs and being at the right place at the right time. 

For raiding, I would simply recommend trying  a bunch of classes and picking what you enjoy the most.  Raiding in VG is truly fantastic as it is not dependant on specific raid make-ups and cookie cutter mechanics.  It is much more dependant on a players skill and the specific strategic guilds develop to take raid bosses down.  For example, not to toot my own horn too much, but I would get tells from other guilds to bring my Psion to their raids for crowd-control and or counter spelling.  I had become very good at raiding with my Psi and was one of the few Psi's with a very specific set of gear obtained specifically for counter-spelling. 

I've enjoyed raiding in VG 2x more that EQ and 10x more than any other MMO I've ever played.

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682
    YES YES and YES.
    If you want to solo to cap, then yes this is the primary way. However, i would not recommend it to anyone. Download infomap here http://www.soresha.net/infomap/?page=install and hit dungeons. Many can be done with 2-3 folks. 

Cleric is a great choice ( don't see enough of them ) otherwise for grouping and being wanted tanks are great as well as all the healers ( shaman very popular right now )
    Just one, that is APW the huge raid zone. Otherwise you have 100s of dungeons to explore and they are NOT instanced.
    My suggestion login and use the Social button, it has a guilds LFM section and you can read up on each one. Twilyghte Song is a good one for players joining out, EU or USA does not matter as they are pretty global.
  • najob75najob75 Member UncommonPosts: 48

Hello and welcome!

Twighlyte is good international guild, with lot of low llevel players.

Lux arcana is EU guild with regular low/mid level group  action, and regular end game raids.

http://www.luxarcana.org/forums/vanguard/

Prki