Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Windows 7 or 8 for gaming desktop pc??

13

Comments

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Win 8 so far is performing worse in sales than Vista at this state in.its life
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Why
    - offices don't want to train people to use it
    - technical home users are worried where Microsoft is heading with the app store
    - unless you have a touch screen there's no compelling reason to upgrade 7 to 8

    That's why it isn't selling despite being heavily discounted and price of 7 going up.

    Makes sense to get the upgrade to 8 if your still on vista though as its half the price if a 7 upgrade.
  • FalcomithFalcomith Hastings, FLPosts: 800Member

    I was skeptical about Win 8 at first, but for $40 I said what the heck. Upgrading from Win 7 to 8, I found out after a few days that 8 seemed a bit sluggish at times. Then I decided to do what I normally do is format the hardrive and start fresh. So thats what I did, and now the boot time is cut in half compared to when I had windows 7. Performance in Win 8 is slightly better.

    The interface takes some getting use to, but if you are like me and prefer a similar setup with a start button on the desktop, then you can download a free app to add a similar start button back in. I use pokki Win 8 start menu. https://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu . 

    Some have mentioned that there DVD/ROM is not being properly recognized.  Win 8 doesnt come with DVD playback. Thats because MS wants you to grab there Microsoft Windows Media Center or purchase there codec pack (Cha-ching). I know for a limited time it was free for those who purchased Win 8, but not sure if its still free. I believe there are alternatives out there now that will add the dvd playback function to the system.

    As far as software and drivers, I have had no problems. All games load without a problem. And dont worry about the statements that allot of developers are not going to support or build there game around Win 8. They just mean they will not develope it for the use in there Metro UI. It will still install via the desktop.

    All in all, Win 8 is not a bad OS, especially for the price, but if you have windows 7 and dont feel like blowing $40, then there is no need to upgrade as the performance is close to the same other then the boot time.

  • YizleYizle Atlanta, GAPosts: 517Member
    7 for right now.
  • PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,295Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Falcomith

    I was skeptical about Win 8 at first, but for $40 I said what the heck. Upgrading from Win 7 to 8, I found out after a few days that 8 seemed a bit sluggish at times. Then I decided to do what I normally do is format the hardrive and start fresh. So thats what I did, and now the boot time is cut in half compared to when I had windows 7. Performance in Win 8 is slightly better.

    The interface takes some getting use to, but if you are like me and prefer a similar setup with a start button on the desktop, then you can download a free app to add a similar start button back in. I use pokki Win 8 start menu. https://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu . 

    Some have mentioned that there DVD/ROM is not being properly recognized.  Win 8 doesnt come with DVD playback. Thats because MS wants you to grab there Microsoft Windows Media Center or purchase there codec pack (Cha-ching). I know for a limited time it was free for those who purchased Win 8, but not sure if its still free. I believe there are alternatives out there now that will add the dvd playback function to the system.

    As far as software and drivers, I have had no problems. All games load without a problem. And dont worry about the statements that allot of developers are not going to support or build there game around Win 8. They just mean they will not develope it for the use in there Metro UI. It will still install via the desktop.

    All in all, Win 8 is not a bad OS, especially for the price, but if you have windows 7 and dont feel like blowing $40, then there is no need to upgrade as the performance is close to the same other then the boot time.

    the cheap version of win 8 is the win 8 pro 32 bit version only though, if you want to get the 64 bit version, it costs about the same as win 7 64 bit, in which case you are much better off getting the win 7 version in any case.  As for boot times, win 7 has a hibernate function that effectively allows you to 'intant on' which is a lot faster than win 8 can boot up anyway, more so if you have a SSD. All in all, there is really not a single convincing argument that can be used in win 8's favour.image

  • VoreDockVoreDock port richey, FLPosts: 129Member
    Originally posted by itspreach

    The performance difference between the two as seen in numerous benchmarks is miniscule.  Having said that, as with any newish OS, your biggest obstacle is driver support. 

    Having said that, I reccomend Windows 7 (64-bit obviously) personally.  Windows 8 was designed for tablets and phones and pawned off to desktop users as a viable OS.

    Time to dispell some miths win 8 is 2 OS built into one framework only the one you need runs . On over all system ops Win 8 is about 5% faster  if your game uses mitl-cores then Win 8 is even faster something like 15% as for driver support it's not even a subject on new hardwere  but 64 bit driver support is better over all then 32 bit  that said  Win 8 x86 is a rebild of win 7 in fact thay went line by line through the code and cut the fat 95% of win 7 drivers work on win 8 . ON the tablet side  win 8 is a rewite of the Xbox360 os so it was built for gameing on the back of XNA  what it gives you is access  to meny games and apps made for the mobel platform on you home pc  in short win 8 is faster and it screams if you install the os to a SSD  as service packs come out win 8 will only get faster 

  • PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,295Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by VoreDock
    Originally posted by itspreach

    The performance difference between the two as seen in numerous benchmarks is miniscule.  Having said that, as with any newish OS, your biggest obstacle is driver support. 

    Having said that, I reccomend Windows 7 (64-bit obviously) personally.  Windows 8 was designed for tablets and phones and pawned off to desktop users as a viable OS.

    Time to dispell some miths win 8 is 2 OS built into one framework only the one you need runs . On over all system ops Win 8 is about 5% faster  if your game uses mitl-cores then Win 8 is even faster something like 15% as for driver support it's not even a subject on new hardwere  but 64 bit driver support is better over all then 32 bit  that said  Win 8 x86 is a rebild of win 7 in fact thay went line by line through the code and cut the fat 95% of win 7 drivers work on win 8 . ON the tablet side  win 8 is a rewite of the Xbox360 os so it was built for gameing on the back of XNA  what it gives you is access  to meny games and apps made for the mobel platform on you home pc  in short win 8 is faster and it screams if you install the os to a SSD  as service packs come out win 8 will only get faster 

    if you can provide some kind of evidence to back up those claims it would be appreciated, but i suspect you can't. And it also disagrees with personal experience in any case. So far from dispelling any 'myths' you are in fact, not making the case for Win 8 any more attractive at all. i suspect your misunderstanding about the os's relation to xbox 360, is due to the start screens similarity to an xbox interface for xbox live, or at least, some of its features and probably is one of the reasons why it is such a useless addition to the win8 experience as a whole.  .. but have to say.. 15 percent, ..  as statements go its pretty rubbish, especially without any supporting evidence.image

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Lol it is not 5% faster

    Look at stats other than "official" Microsoft ones.

    Toms hardware, overclockers etc..
  • erictlewiserictlewis Cottondale, ALPosts: 3,026Member Uncommon

    I am sticking with windows 7 until they come up with something better than windows 8.

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Oh vore:

    I'm going to call bullshit on something else too - "it gives you access to loads of tablet / phone apps"

    1 there are bugger all winphone / tablet apps. Everyone and his dog builds for ios and Android which are easy to port between with both being 'nix based. Some may do a more laborious port to win phone but most don't.
    2 win RT looks the same on the surface but is vastly different underneath to desktop / laptop windows. It runs on ARM rather than 8086 architecture for a start
  • FalcomithFalcomith Hastings, FLPosts: 800Member
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Falcomith

    I was skeptical about Win 8 at first, but for $40 I said what the heck. Upgrading from Win 7 to 8, I found out after a few days that 8 seemed a bit sluggish at times. Then I decided to do what I normally do is format the hardrive and start fresh. So thats what I did, and now the boot time is cut in half compared to when I had windows 7. Performance in Win 8 is slightly better.

    The interface takes some getting use to, but if you are like me and prefer a similar setup with a start button on the desktop, then you can download a free app to add a similar start button back in. I use pokki Win 8 start menu. https://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu . 

    Some have mentioned that there DVD/ROM is not being properly recognized.  Win 8 doesnt come with DVD playback. Thats because MS wants you to grab there Microsoft Windows Media Center or purchase there codec pack (Cha-ching). I know for a limited time it was free for those who purchased Win 8, but not sure if its still free. I believe there are alternatives out there now that will add the dvd playback function to the system.

    As far as software and drivers, I have had no problems. All games load without a problem. And dont worry about the statements that allot of developers are not going to support or build there game around Win 8. They just mean they will not develope it for the use in there Metro UI. It will still install via the desktop.

    All in all, Win 8 is not a bad OS, especially for the price, but if you have windows 7 and dont feel like blowing $40, then there is no need to upgrade as the performance is close to the same other then the boot time.

    the cheap version of win 8 is the win 8 pro 32 bit version only though, if you want to get the 64 bit version, it costs about the same as win 7 64 bit,

    Not if you buy the $40 digital download of windows 8 pro upgrade from the MS store. It installs a 64 bit for a 64 bit system, or if you have 32 bit system, then it will install the 32 bit.

  • RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,179Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Phry
    the cheap version of win 8 is the win 8 pro 32 bit version only though, if you want to get the 64 bit version, it costs about the same as win 7 64 bit, in which case you are much better off getting the win 7 version in any case. 

    This actually isn't true. When you buy the digital upgrade (the cheaper $40 edition) - the download you get will be whichever your source OS is (the one you run the Upgrade Assistant from): if your upgrading from Vista 32, it will install 32-bit, if you upgrade from 7 x64, it installs 64 bit, etc. This includes if you transfer the copy to a DVD or USB thumb drive and do a clean install.

    You can, however, order the DVD (for an additional $15 or so), and that will let you get the 64-bit version if you have a 32-bit source OS - it is a bit more money, but still cheaper than an OEM System Builder ($99).

    So it's not just the Pro 32-bit version... it's whichever your source OS is, with the option to transfer across with a DVD purchase.

    But that's only valid until the end of the month (Jan 31) - it expires after that.

    http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-upgrade-32bit-64bit-144649

  • RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,179Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Oh vore:I'm going to call bullshit on something else too - "it gives you access to loads of tablet / phone apps"1 there are bugger all winphone / tablet apps. Everyone and his dog builds for ios and Android which are easy to port between with both being 'nix based. Some may do a more laborious port to win phone but most don't.2 win RT looks the same on the surface but is vastly different underneath to desktop / laptop windows. It runs on ARM rather than 8086 architecture for a start

    This is true - you can't run Windows 8 RT (the tablet version) apps on Windows 8 x86/x64, and vice-versa. Windows RT runs on an ARM CPU, and PCs run on a x86 CPU - they aren't cross compatible natively. There are emulators out there, but to my knowledge one isn't publically available to run RT apps on Windows 8.

    What you see are a lot of apps on the Windows 8 store that are available for both RT and PC, but they were compiled seperately (kinda like if a program has both a Mac and a PC version - they may be the same program, but they aren't the same binary files that you would run)

  • Panther2103Panther2103 Edmonds, WAPosts: 2,356Member Uncommon
    I got windows 8 for free from where I work, and so far I have to say I'm enjoying it a lot. The interface is somewhat of a jump to get used to but once you get used to it everything kind of falls into place. Sure some things bother me like having to drag windows down to close them, but I usually stick with the desktop anyways. Games I have noticed a tiny improvement in performance, not too much maybe 5 fps but that also could have been from the wipe of the drive I did and updated drivers. Honestly I haven't noticed much of a difference other than the UI and the store options, so I would have to say if you are up for learning the new UI go with 8, it will be updated more often, and I doubt microsoft will go back on how this interface looks so getting used to it now will make you not have to worry about learning it later when windows 9 comes out.
  • artemisentr4artemisentr4 fresno, CAPosts: 1,431Member Uncommon

    The one problem I am having with Win 8 is with my merc stealth Z-board driver. Every day I have to uninstall and reinstall to get the mods to work for some reason. Can't figure this out.

     

    I also read somewhere that DirectX would only be updated for the Win 8 in the futrue trying to force players to make the move. But not sure on that, nothing to back it up.

     

    For my needs, Win 8 is just fine. Faster start up and the simple one click to games and programs. Plus I can just use the desktop like I did in Win 7 if I want.

    “How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

  • BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member
    Originally posted by erictlewis

    I am sticking with windows 7 until they come up with something better than windows 8.

    Rumor is they'll have Windows 9 (Blue) out by the end of the year in a huge joint release with Surface Pro 2 and Surface RT 2 and Microsoft branded Surface Phone as well as Xbox 720.

    They are supposedly aiming for yearly OS releases like Apple does - and like Apple focusing on iteration and evolution over time rather than huge changes all at once.

    Explains price tag (30-70$ instead of like 120-200) pretty well too.

    But the new interface is staying - they are just supposedly going to integrate it with Desktop better so the two will really be one thing as it should have been from the start.

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Ughh win 9 is sounding even worse. Guess I'm sticking with win 7 until 2018 then praying valve or Google or whoever have a valid alternative OS.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Artemis
    Yeah dx 11.1 is win 8 only. Not that any game devs are using it, as uptake for win 8 is even slower than with Vista. So not worried, I know we aren't planning to go higher than dx11 for many years.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Ughh win 9 is sounding even worse. Guess I'm sticking with win 7 until 2018 then praying valve or Google or whoever have a valid alternative OS.

    Not sure how that is sounding worse?

    Biggest complaint in 8 from people who aren't just complaining for the sake of adding their voice to the chorus on the bandwagon is that the new interface and desktop mode are so seperate it makes sense to bypass the new interface entirely.

    If everything worked and the customization was there on the new UI, people wouldn't miss desktop mode as much.

    Well, there are also people who save 37x10^4 documents and files on their desktops that we in the IT business like to call "f*cking morons."

    They are beyond help.

    They can't seem to understand that if you make a folder or series of folders to organize stuff (and God forbid they actually save their important documents on the server network drives which are actually backed up and restorable) it may cause them to have to click 1-2 more times but when they get a new PC or theirs crashes becuase they downloaded 18 IE toolbars and 37 Coupon Printers and e-Card readers...

    We can actually get them back up and running in under an hour instead of wasting my entire freaking day recovering their profile after scrubbing their local drive that's missing the boot sector.

    Point is most people don't have a clue what they're talking about when they critique the functionality of their computers. These same people like Apple because it's idiot proof - and they're idiots.

    /rant off

  • RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,179Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    ArtemisYeah dx 11.1 is win 8 only. Not that any game devs are using it, as uptake for win 8 is even slower than with Vista. So not worried, I know we aren't planning to go higher than dx11 for many years.

    Also true. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Xbox 720 is based around DX11.1 (or something similar) - and if that happens, then we could expect to start seeing PC titles use DX11.1 regardless of the Windows 8 install base.

    I've also heard Microsoft is trying to move towards a annual-18 month release schedule as well... They haven't lowered the price that much (right now we have the upgrade special, but that expires soon, and then the price for an OEM is back to $99 - pretty much the same as it has been), but hopefully it does permanently lower if they decide to do that. I'd really like to see the licensing simplify, but that's another discussion.

    I've also heard a rumor that they are going to smooth over the Metro/Desktop integration with a patch/service pack this summer (after they fired/forced out Steve Sinofsky and moved Julie Larson-Green to be in charge Windows development) which would make the interface perform better with a keyboard/mouse: but I wouldn't hold my breath. In a recent interview, Julie Larson-Green basically said that people will get used to it because they have to (I don't think she realized that not everyone ~has~ to, there are other options out there).

  • RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,179Member Uncommon

    So far my biggest gripe:

    I like the idea of Live Tiles. I don't mind the new Start page.

    I HATE that metro apps are all forced full screen, and have limited information and UI on them. Case in point: try to print an email using the Mail app. Try to find the button to push to close any Metro app (so that it frees up resources). This is my biggest pet peeve, and it basically makes all metro apps useless for me.

    Going with that, sure, they have the ability to tile two apps together, but that is restricted, you get like a 3/4 / 1/4 split, and no option to adjust that. I'd rather be able to overlap them, resize them, etc: You know, like how "Windows" has been able to do since v2.0. This also makes metro apps basically useless, because if you have screen real estate, it's basically all wasted.

    But fortunately, using Metro apps is completely optional.

    Minorly - I hate that the charms and several menus are "hidden" - you have to mouse hover over a secret spot, or "swipe" with the mouse pointer - none of this is intuitive, and none of it has indications that they exist. Something like a little folded corner to indicate a hover spot, or an animated arrow to indicate a swipe/scroll spot... those little things just seem to be missing.

    All in all - if I had Windows 7 already, I wouldn't rush to upgrade. But if I had to choose between 7 and 8 at the same price: I'd go with 8. The stuff I don't like about 8 can all be sidestepped easily, and there are some nice improvements to 7 that make it worth keeping (new System Refresh options, FastBoot, DX11.1 eventually, Cloud account syncing, Windows2Go to boot a live install from a USB drive, new task manager, etc).

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by erictlewis

    I am sticking with windows 7 until they come up with something better than windows 8.

    Rumor is they'll have Windows 9 (Blue) out by the end of the year in a huge joint release with Surface Pro 2 and Surface RT 2 and Microsoft branded Surface Phone as well as Xbox 720.

    That would be a rather stupid thing to do, as it would mean that hardware that is ready to go and an enormous upgrade over the previous generation has to sit and wait several months for whatever the last thing is to be ready.  AMD Temash (aka, the first good x86 tablet chip) should launch around the middle of 2013.  ARM-based hardware that would be a huge upgrade over the Tegra 3 in Surface RT should be ready any day now.  Meanwhile, the Xbox 720 may or may not be ready for launch by the end of 2013.

    That doesn't necessarily mean that Microsoft won't do exactly what you said, but only that it would be stupid.

  • eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,133Member Uncommon
    I wouldn't put Windows 8 onto a computer that I intend on using at all. The more I deal with it, the more I dislike it. Too many little things were done because Microsoft wants to push the consumer in a direction instead of making the OS the most suitable and intelligent.

    All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

    I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

    I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

  • BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by erictlewis

    I am sticking with windows 7 until they come up with something better than windows 8.

    Rumor is they'll have Windows 9 (Blue) out by the end of the year in a huge joint release with Surface Pro 2 and Surface RT 2 and Microsoft branded Surface Phone as well as Xbox 720.

    That would be a rather stupid thing to do, as it would mean that hardware that is ready to go and an enormous upgrade over the previous generation has to sit and wait several months for whatever the last thing is to be ready.  AMD Temash (aka, the first good x86 tablet chip) should launch around the middle of 2013.  ARM-based hardware that would be a huge upgrade over the Tegra 3 in Surface RT should be ready any day now.  Meanwhile, the Xbox 720 may or may not be ready for launch by the end of 2013.

    That doesn't necessarily mean that Microsoft won't do exactly what you said, but only that it would be stupid.

    Releasing the new version with a slight (or sometimes major) upgrade every year is exactly what Apple does with iPhone and iPad and iPod - it is absolutely stupid but obviously people buy these things every freaking year over and over and over again.

    It's sad but true - common sense is in the minority - it makes sense to build a product that will last for at least a couple of years so you DON'T have to buy something new every 10-18 months.

    But you know what they say - the only bad ideas are the ones that don't resonate with people - and people obviously like buying iGadget one year and iGadget + 1 or +0.5 year after year after year.

  • ChtugaChtuga OsloPosts: 113Member

    Stick with 7 as its the more stabile OS. Win8 seems like it need a servicepack to be stabile enough.

     

    If you REALLY care about is faster boot time, sure, windows 8 is faster.

    When it comes to almost everything else the difference is minimal, and goes both ways.

Sign In or Register to comment.