Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do the people you play with impact your enjoyment of a game?

TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

I find that this has a huge impact on how much I enjoy playing one game over another.  I have met some awesome people in these games and a few of them I'm still friends with and we travel long distances to hang out with each other.  I'm sure most of us have heard stories about people who have married after meeting in an MMORPG.  I still say WOW during BC was one of the best times I have ever had playing an MMO.  I prefer the game mechanics of EQ1 over WOW, however, it was just a special group of people to me and raiding with them was amazing.  That was also some of the best raid content I have ever experienced, but I still say those people had a huge impact on how much fun I had. 

What has prompted me to post this and question the subject myself is that some friends want to get together and start playing again.  The game that was chosen, despite my protests, is none other than....... SWTOR. 

Help me decide MMORPG community, you're my only hope.

Comments

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Playing solo in an MMORPG can only get you so far, I feel people playing in this genre will always be impacted due to community. Otherwise what is the point of playing an MMORPG if your planning to solo the entire game? Not only is that not possible to do in most mmorpg's but it sort of goes against their purpose.
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I disagree with the "Can make a bad game good" section because it can only make a bad game tolerable for a ceertain time but I do agree with the general sentiment of the option.
  • MeriliremMerilirem Member Posts: 77
    I like to solo but I didn't check solo. Th people in a game can ruin it without playing with you. Not to mention those that are under the impression that they know everything and therefore you can do this or that but not this due to factors they heard about or took from experiences with nobodies who didn't actually know what they were doing. Then those get passed on s fact and the stupidity continues. Lots of ways people can be jerks in games, especially when it comes to role-play or serious play.

If a butterfly learnt to speak, to live in human society, paid its bills, had a job, lived in a fancy house and married a human, is it human?

Now what if that same butterfly knew how to write code better than any human and had years of experience in the game industry, would that make it a game designer?

If u wouldn't let a construction worker design your house, then why let a programmer design your world?

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    I voted "Greatly!" due to my experiences with the same gaming community via Ventrilo. Generally speaking, we have a few different titles we play seriously and/or competitively, but the vast majority of our time is spent goofing around. The group is sorta the reason I use the monicker Lawlmonster online, because we're generally just looking for a laugh. In many cases, though we can tell the difference between what's garbage and what isn't, we still enjoy playing the trash together.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• MeriliremMerilirem Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

Playing solo in an MMORPG can only get you so far, I feel people playing in this genre will always be impacted due to community. Otherwise what is the point of playing an MMORPG if your planning to solo the entire game? Not only is that not possible to do in most mmorpg's but it sort of goes against their purpose.

Soling in an online game does not go against the purpose. You will always play with others, just not every moment. Plus fighting with others and playing with them are two very different things. The whole idea that fighting beside other players is the point in an mmorpg with such components is a very sad thing. Just like how in real life having friends and romantic partners isn't the entire point. Being alone and being lonely are not the same thing after all. Playing with people by yourself is as much a part of the experience as anything else.

If a butterfly learnt to speak, to live in human society, paid its bills, had a job, lived in a fancy house and married a human, is it human?

Now what if that same butterfly knew how to write code better than any human and had years of experience in the game industry, would that make it a game designer?

If u wouldn't let a construction worker design your house, then why let a programmer design your world?

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Greatly.  Without good people I might as well play a SP RPG.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Merilirem

Soling in an online game does not go against the purpose. You will always play with others, just not every moment. Plus fighting with others and playing with them are two very different things. The whole idea that fighting beside other players is the point in an mmorpg with such components is a very sad thing. Just like how in real life having friends and romantic partners isn't the entire point. Being alone and being lonely are not the same thing after all. Playing with people by yourself is as much a part of the experience as anything else.

I guess my point is, why bother playing a MMORPG if your purpose is to just have a solo experiance. That goes against the purpose of an MMORPG which is to bring a massive amount of people together and build a community. If your interested in more of a solo aspect why not just grab a game like the Witcher 2 or a game like Boarderlands that gives you the opportunity to control who you play with a lot more then an MMORPG.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Merilirem

I guess my point is, why bother playing a MMORPG if your purpose is to just have a solo experiance. That goes against the purpose of an MMORPG which is to bring a massive amount of people together and build a community. If your interested in more of a solo aspect why not just grab a game like the Witcher 2 or a game like Boarderlands that gives you the opportunity to control who you play with a lot more then an MMORPG.

Show me a mid to high quality off line rpg taht is free....hell show me a dozen, ill need 12 a year for the rest of my life ..and  you would never see me again in a  MMORPG again....till then your stuck with me aand my solo centric game play. :)

Way I figure though..my soloing doesnt hurt nobody and I see all of the game I want to see and move on.  Great thing about this F2P movement. Im never lacking for stuff to do.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Definitely impacts me, I never stay long in a MMO unless I quickly forge some social connections, which is also why I gave up playing single player games long ago.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I think folks can have an impact on you, both good and bad. However it is how you deal with each situation that determines how you get along. If you let the negative nancies in game get you down then that is on you not them.

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    I disagree with the "Can make a bad game good" section because it can only make a bad game tolerable for a ceertain time but I do agree with the general sentiment of the option.

That's fair and actually very helpful.  The choices in the poll are certainly weighted to reflect my personal situation.  I'm just going to be honest here, I don't find SWTOR to be a very good game.  I try hard to keep from trashing games too much around here so I'll just leave it at that without ranting. 

I'm trying to decide if this great group of friends and, truth be told, my love of the IP is enough to give the game another shot.  I guess there's only one way to find out.

• drchocapicdrchocapic Member Posts: 27
    I'd rather play a game I don't fancy that much with my friends that one I greatly enjoy by myself.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Hell Yes.  I really like Smite but the community is a caustic sewer, so I stopped playing. On the other hand, I've found the WoT crowd fun (1-5 rank) so I've probably put in a good 80 hours playing that in the past month alone. In UO, EVE and Shadowbane I enjoyed the community, as good community makes even the most brutal fo PvP environments a much more fun place to be.  A literate and helpful community makes a game more enjoyable for me.

Yes, I included literate there. Call me a snob, but I'd much rather a local chat filled with puns, sarcasm and intelligible banter than a local chat of non-stop trolling, religion bashing and armchair politics written in near incomprehensible, abbreviated half-sentences.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    There's two different ways to look at it.  Either you're only counting a very specific group of friends that you play with most of the time or you're counting everyone who plays a game and you interact with.  In the former case, I'd think they could make a game tolerable because you enjoy their company and you're doing it more to  be with them than to play the game.  In the latter though, since most people who play MMOs are asshats IMO, the community can make or break a game, even if you play solo most of the time.  Mostly, in modern MMOs,  they break the game.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

Originally posted by Cephus404
    There's two different ways to look at it.  Either you're only counting a very specific group of friends that you play with most of the time or you're counting everyone who plays a game and you interact with.  In the former case, I'd think they could make a game tolerable because you enjoy their company and you're doing it more to  be with them than to play the game.  In the latter though, since most people who play MMOs are asshats IMO, the community can make or break a game, even if you play solo most of the time.  Mostly, in modern MMOs,  they break the game.

I wasn't thinking of it this way but it's a very good point and aplicable to my current situation.  Who knew the question of  "what video game to play"  would turn out to be such a tough decision.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Yes it has a lot of impact, best groups I had played with were on EQ1, UO, SWG.

Some of the people I played SWG with wanted to play TOR also, and I just knew it was going to suck for me personally, but I figured, hey, I will give it a go, and I wanted to believe the people saying it opens up after you play a little bit, and the devs saying it had a lot of planet exploration and such.....

I found that TOR actually is made in a way that hurts playing with others, people can only have so many quests, it is hard to match up quests when people pop on...Found the same in Rift.  Long story short, I played my free month, got my money worth time wise, and quit.  I would not go back even if it was f2p, with no shop to bolster it....

It is free though, so go play, try to have fun, and maybe some of it has changed....If you don't like it, it isn't like you had to buy it.

I myself may be done with pure themeparks, I got like 2 hours out of GW2, just did not like it at all.  Could of been that the overpopulation of launch turned me off, and made the gameplay seem boring....But I cannot make myself try it again, even though I am just stuck playing LoL, with no mmo in sight.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Not really. I have been in MMOs even before UO. I have made friends in games .. some even last a little while (like years).

However, there are always more decent players you can play with, and online friends don't replace RL friends & families.

So not really ... but of course we do need some people around to have MP games.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Not really. I have been in MMOs even before UO. I have made friends in games .. some even last a little while (like years).

However, there are always more decent players you can play with, and online friends don't replace RL friends & families.

I get what you're saying and it's good to hear the other side of the argument.  I do, however, have 2 online friends that, at this point, I would classify as real life friends.  We have gone on camping trips together, gone on vaccation together, gone to numerous music festivals together, and keep in touch at least weekly.

Since you brought up "real life" friends and family, let me ask you the question another way.  Would you play a game that you didn't care for that much if those real life friends were playing with you? 

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I game with my family to avoid noobs.  

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Tjed
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I get what you're saying and it's good to hear the other side of the argument.  I do, however, have 2 online friends that, at this point, I would classify as real life friends.  We have gone on camping trips together, gone on vaccation together, gone to numerous music festivals together, and keep in touch at least weekly.

Since you brought up "real life" friends and family, let me ask you the question another way.  Would you play a game that you didn't care for that much if those real life friends were playing with you? 

Oh, i have no problem with other people making online friends, with lasting friendship, in games. It is just not for me.

And the answer to your question is no. I don't play a game i don't like if real-life friends want to play. Case in point, my sons are into LOL and i don't like that game. So i won't be playing even for them. However, i will "bribe" them with good items to lure tham to play more Diablo 3.

Lastly, i don't have to play with friends, there are plenty of strangers to play with too.

Originally posted by Cephus404

I wasn't thinking of it this way but it's a very good point and aplicable to my current situation.  Who knew the question of  "what video game to play"  would turn out to be such a tough decision.

So you have to ask yourself, is it a bad game because of the game or is it a bad game because of the people who are playing the game?  If the latter, you can avoid them and just play with your group of friends and it will probably be fine.  If the former, then it's just going to be a source of frustration, no matter who you play with.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more

I wouldn't.  In fact, I have a big group of real-life friends that play WoW, they've played it since it came out and even though they know it sucks,  it's just something they can jump on and waste time on.  I could easily go play WoW with them.  I hate WoW.  Therefore I don't play.