Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

full terrain combat?

xaritscinxaritscin CaliMember Posts: 350 Uncommon

would it be possible to create a game where we featuer ground, naval, atmospheric and space combat?

no, im not talking about something akin to EVE Online, DUST514, or Planet Side. nor im talking about some fantasy themed thing like WoW. im talking about something akin to Steampunk. with tanks, ironclad and dreadnought style naval ships, airships (biplanes, triplanes, gyrocopters, dirigibles, flying barges) and spaceships (now that would get interesting).

the idea is to allow players to craft or obtain these means of both transportation, commerce, combat and other roles (ala EVE). of course, a mount system would be included, and technomagical constructs would be possible too. but the general concept is to cover combat in all the terrains. with the spaceships being the last frontier in combat.

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Northwest, INMember Posts: 5,035 Uncommon

Yes.  Any / all of these can be provided in a simulation.

The difficulty would be in world scaling and space partitioning.  For example if air combat needs 100 square miles of space, and some aircraft (helicopters for example) can land anywhere then there needs to be 100 square miles of playable terrain underneath it.  Also, what happens when an aircraft reaches the edge of playable space?  Does it hit an invisi-wall, or transition to a different area?

Space combat, the same.  If a craft is fighting in a solar system, and the craft can land anywhere, then all the planets would need to be covered in playable terrain.  That's millions of square miles.

These will take some serious design work to overcome.  Grand scale is not difficult to imagine, but it can be a pain to build.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member Posts: 957 Uncommon
    SWG had almost all of that and as far as I know theres never been another mmo that has even tried, SWG wasnt steampunk though. It would be great to see a game like that, id check it out for sure.
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    SWG had almost all of that and as far as I know theres never been another mmo that has even tried, SWG wasnt steampunk though. It would be great to see a game like that, id check it out for sure.

Those SWG zones were huge, especially given the time it was produced.  16 x 16 km if I remember correctly.  Even pushing the crap out of Torque, best I can get is 8 x 8 km which is only 1/4 the surface area of SWG zones.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAMember Posts: 4,775 Uncommon
    Originally posted by XAPGames
    Yes.  Any / all of these can be provided in a simulation.   The difficulty would be in world scaling and space partitioning.  For example if air combat needs 100 square miles of space, and some aircraft (helicopters for example) can land anywhere then there needs to be 100 square miles of playable terrain underneath it.  Also, what happens when an aircraft reaches the edge of playable space?  Does it hit an invisi-wall, or transition to a different area?   Space combat, the same.  If a craft is fighting in a solar system, and the craft can land anywhere, then all the planets would need to be covered in playable terrain.  That's millions of square miles.   These will take some serious design work to overcome.  Grand scale is not difficult to imagine, but it can be a pain to build.  

With the airplanes hitting the invisible wall, simply loop the world like UO did. You can sail from one side of the world to the other. Each edge leads to the opposite. 

Scaling shouldn't be much issue either. Launching into space would be a cinematic that hides the loading screen, it would just be another zone like many MMO's do now. Landing would initiate another loading screen. Loop space as you did the world so that one edge leads to the opposite. 

To keep planes from flying beyond the boundries of the zone and hitting a wall to break immersion simply make it so that at a certain altitude the plane stalls and begins to plummet like a real plane does. 

You essentially keep the immersion by hiding the limitations and walls. 

• Four0SixFour0Six Missoula, MTMember Posts: 1,170 Uncommon
    Hush, you will rile up the Sanbox VS Themepark crowd.
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I'm going to have to experiment with the space looping.  I'm thinking over-model terrain by max view distance amount at each side, and do it so the over-model is identical to the destination area (avoid visual glitching).  Possibly have the playable area shaped as a hex so as to avoid having distinct corners.

Sounds interesting.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAMember Posts: 4,775 Uncommon
    Originally posted by XAPGames
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I'm going to have to experiment with the space looping.  I'm thinking over-model terrain by max view distance amount at each side, and do it so the over-model is identical to the destination area (avoid visual glitching).  Possibly have the playable area shaped as a hex so as to avoid having distinct corners.

Sounds interesting.

Just don't forget to make the area large so they don't see each other looping and don't forget about the floor and the ceiling lol. It's happened before lol, everythings fine, feels like you are flying forever, then you try and go up and BAM... ceiling lol. 

• anemoanemo Member Posts: 1,004 Uncommon
    To get to this point you're going to need a pretty massive community, at least by indi scale. 

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ghstwolfghstwolf hampstead, NHMember Posts: 386
    Originally posted by anemo
    To get to this point you're going to need a pretty massive community, at least by indi scale. 

True, but it can start fairly small and grow into it.  You can draw many logical "gates" that require technology and/or infrastructure to pass.  For boats, you could run cutoffs at 20nm, 250nm and unlimited (or similar since I'm using NOAA's definitions for green water, blue water and high seas).  Aircraft have similar resrictions with altitude.  Land is harder, but limiting the population centers can go a long way.  Transportation doesn't have to be great to start: limited range, payload and speed (all factor into how far it is effective to go).

These all could be opened as needed.  I'd prefer this be a community activity, requiring active server goals.