Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is WoW really worth playing?

2»

Comments

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432

In short: no.

The original game that was populated with niceish people is gone. What's replaced it is greedy self-centered loot whores who have no humanity left in them.

I've been playing since Dec. 2004 so I've watched the decline. The people aren't people anymore. They're vile replacements who's only care is what random pixels you can help them acquire.

If you join a group and make a mistake you'll be lambasted by 13 year old (at least I hope they're 13 and not fully grown adults acting like this) Xbox live children. If you respond with maturity you'll be trolled, prodded, hatefully until you eventually give up just to save what little dignity you have left.

The game is a wretched cess-pool of ignorant wankers the likes of which the entire genre has never seen and hopefully had never envisioned. If they had, damn them, damn them for creating this cancerous, souless canker of a game.

There is not a single redeemable quality. Nothing in the entire blasphemous whole is worth saving. Every last one of their databases should be purged with industrial junk yard magnets.

Their digital lives are now nothing more than a monolith and warning to game designers.

On it it reads: "This amalgam was caused by your greed. Greed that demanded children to feed its bottom line. The cost of which was your community's capacity for sustained attention."

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

It's absolutely worth playing, IMO. Yes, there are a disproportionate amount of immature jerks in the community, but there are a goodly amount of decent people still in the game as well. You find what you are looking for, after all.

MoP was fun to level through, and there's a TON of top-level content as well (with more on the way).

I hated the new talent system when it was announced, but in practice it actually works very well. Almost every spec is viable, and there are actually meaningful choices to make based on your playstyle. Granted there are specs which work better than others, but that's just the nature of such a system in the first place.

Finding a guild is easier than ever, and even as DPS you seldom wait long to get into an instance group (scenario or dungeon).

There are cons as well. The aforementioned jerks can be a big turn-off, but if you have a thick skin and find yourself a good guild it almost becomes a non-issue.

Dailies... dear God, the dailies. You need to prioritize those, as doing every one available every day will take up a HUGE chunk of time. Also while it's nice you can earn currency for endgame gear from them now, if you do them all you'll quickly hit the weekly cap.

Top-level stuff can also be repetitive. Sure the new instances are good fun a few times, but after the 5th or 6th time they can get a bit tiresom. Scenarios are much the same.

If you care about story, you'll find what's here to be... adequate. Unfortunately if you don't read the books you'll be left with some puzzling gaps in continuity, something which honestly pisses me off. There's no excuse for that kind of shit; major story events should happen IN GAME, not just in a book. Blizzard should be ashamed of themselves. Yes, you can buy the book or read the wiki, but you shouldn't have to do that.

Overall though the game is so far keeping me entertained. Whether it continues to do so is up in the air, but right now the damn thing is $20 + a month's sub. Even if you only get a month out of it, that's still a pretty good value.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Kedoremos

The original game that was populated with niceish people is gone. What's replaced it is greedy self-centered loot whores who have no humanity left in them.

I've been playing since Dec. 2004 so I've watched the decline. The people aren't people anymore. They're vile replacements who's only care is what random pixels you can help them acquire.

If you join a group and make a mistake you'll be lambasted by 13 year old (at least I hope they're 13 and not fully grown adults acting like this) Xbox live children. If you respond with maturity you'll be trolled, prodded, hatefully until you eventually give up just to save what little dignity you have left.

The game is a wretched cess-pool of ignorant wankers the likes of which the entire genre has never seen and hopefully had never envisioned. If they had, damn them, damn them for creating this cancerous, souless canker of a game.

There is not a single redeemable quality. Nothing in the entire blasphemous whole is worth saving. Every last one of their databases should be purged with industrial junk yard magnets.

Their digital lives are now nothing more than a monolith and warning to game designers.

On it it reads: "This amalgam was caused by your greed. Greed that demanded children to feed its bottom line. The cost of which was your community's capacity for sustained attention."

you are not keen on the game then?

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Originally posted by Muppetier
    Originally posted by Kedoremos

you are not keen on the game then?

In my best Shatner voice:

I am not a fan.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• KalstarkKalstark Member Posts: 63
    i would play if you enjoyed it before. alot of people give this game shit cuz its the top dog and its all about getting to max level, ive played since it was released on and off and recently played for the 10 day MoP trial and it was awesome. i think you should start from the beggining and actaully read the text of the quests. almost all the quests actaully have a great story. alot of people are also saying they dont like the new talent changes but idk how these people say they played before because every1 was using the same exact builds before but now theres more variety. also check out the minor glyphs they added alot of cool ones that are cosmetic or just make ur abilities look cooler. if you like pvp i would join emerald dream server, tons of raids on cities and other places all the time. people are always ganna complain about the game thats on top but thats just the way people act when they have nothing better to do. im not playing right now cuz i got an xbox with skyrim and bf3 so just been playing those. hope you enjoy and dont let the haters ruin it for you. and if you dont like it then dont play it, just dont come on this site like every1 else bitching 

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Sure it is! Still best mmorpg for me. I tried to play some of new titles but as usual i come back to wow. I play  3-4h per day, 2-3h wow, 1h eve, 10min swtor, 10 min eq, 10 min aoc, 10 min lotro :)
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I really don't know what people liked about the old talents. They were filled with such obvious choices and weren't fun at all. You ended up with a few extra points for something meaningless.

The new system provides interesting choices that will be different from every character at least.

• korrikenkorriken Member Posts: 40

time to add my 2 copper.

frankly, no this game isn't worth it if you want any semblance of a challenge. and if you want to play a pvp game, play a first person shooter or a a card/board game.

Not to mention warcraft has one of the most horrible communities of any game.

there are far better games out there to play.

if you want PVP, and don't mind a sci fi setting, play eve online. its one of the best pvp mmos ever made that is still being developed.

and to the one who says EQ DAOC and such were not better than wow, I heartily disagree. now, one thing WOW DOES have going for it is low lvl crossrealm dungeon finder for when you want to group. problem is, when you're a dps spec you'll be waiting half an hour to run through the dungeon with a group of people who have nothing to lose from pulling some sort of jerk move like pulling a large pile of mobs then leaving the group, trying to force the tank to pull faster by pulling crowds of mobs, or the healer or tank wants to dps and not do their jobs.

if you just want something to do for an hour on the weekend, there are a lot of good free to play games to choose from.

from an almost 14 year mmo veteran's perspective, this game is like playing Elmo's Hide and Seek when compared to many other mmos. the only game i can think of that's been released in the last few years that was worse is Final Fantasy 14 and it's shut down and being redeveloped. 

best thing for you to do is continue doing what you're doing right now and going to different game forums and asking about the game. of course, if you let people know what you want in a game they can give you recommendations.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by kingj0n

I've played at the start.

However, the game was pretty crappy with PvP and how the game is.

So I didn't play much after that. The game failed to me. However, many people seemed to enjoy it, as if, they were a robot with no thought process to do what they really wanted to do... Which was to play a game that was actually fun. Since everyone was doing it, they wanted to follow the trend.. which was to play WoW.

No, the game isn't really fun and the PvP was always crap. Yes, I was the best in the game when it came to PvP. Naked fights or normal everyday gear. When it came to be too much item based, it died to real PvPers.

So, go play it if you really think it was that good. It was boring to many of the hardcore pvpers, which is why many of them quit the game within the first 4 months. However, please do enjoy your borefest if you so happen to get back into a very dated game with a high sub fee. To be honest, I'd rather play  UO.

I went back to playing UO. I know it's old. I know it's not as popular as it once was but I enjoy it MUCH more then World Of Warcaft.  Yesterday I was lumberjacking in felcca (pvp area) due to getting double resources. I was with a crafter with no real way of protecting myself. I got killed three times, on the 4th I  was close enough to the city to call the guards and they killed the other person. They took two of my items that I did not insure. Killed my pet beetle.  

I got res'd by the healer in now, went back and got my pet. When to city to get my pet res'd and I was good to go again. I don't enojy getting killed but knowing that I was taking the risk kind of added something to it. I think UO is underrated but that's just me. I never played when it came out or was big.

I also play Lord of The Rings Online, which I would take over WoW. The quests, the book quests, and the people just make the game enjoyable and I do not feel I have to chase gear.

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76
    I feel the exact same way as the OP more or less. I started playing wow way back when it was first released. I think I even participated in an open beta before release. I enjoyed the game immensely all the way up to cata. Unlike many others I don't blame the xpac but the fact that I was just tired of wow. So I stopped playing. Now here I am sometimes getting the urge to go back and try out the new x-pac. When I get this urge I got take a poop and it's usually gone by then.
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Play through a few post WoW themepark mmo, i always end up going back to WoW.

Problem is those games dont offer what WoW have, seamless huge continent, day/night cycle , mounts, critters, ever changing spells animation, very fluid and responsive combat animations, different starting area for most of the different race, etc etc....

In a sense those new games, at least for me, fail to keep my attention, and only WoW continues to innovate here and there, and i love the details that it present.

Cons: For me, i hate the dailes in Wow, its just a lazy way to keep players sub, hate it that they remove the class quest. Other than that im fine with it.

Im not a raiding person, so i'll just do a bit of dailes here and there when i like at max level, and roll alts.

Love the new stories with the different race when rolling alt...

To me so far only WoW , with its huge contents is the only game thats able to attract me.

Sidetrack a bit, themepark mmo that release now, the devs must understand that they are going up against WoW of 2013, and not WoW thats 8 years ago. thats why now WoW, as per last release numbers, have 10mil players.

RIP Orc Choppa

• CadejocrCadejocr Member Posts: 7

Yes . if you are nOOb to mmos.

Every mmo is boring at some point. Need friends to make it fun. That apply to any mmo.

• MeriliremMerilirem Member Posts: 77
    It's worth playing in the same way it's worth going to a museum to see dinosaurs. I find very mmo of today to be unworthy of my time. I have however played pretty much all of them for the value of experience. Wow was a great starting point in that regard but for fun that won't leave you disappointed in a dew months, maybe a couple years, I can't recommend any game in existence as they all suffer from the same basic principles created in the beginning when online gaming was young. If pointless gam play that 11 million people have done before exactly the same way is your thing though, enjoy this and every other game in existence.

If a butterfly learnt to speak, to live in human society, paid its bills, had a job, lived in a fancy house and married a human, is it human?

Now what if that same butterfly knew how to write code better than any human and had years of experience in the game industry, would that make it a game designer?

If u wouldn't let a construction worker design your house, then why let a programmer design your world?

• amgates80amgates80 Member Posts: 1

i enjoyed WoW when i used to play but school comes first for me

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

I think WoW is very playable.

Levelling is not very challenging, no, but it is a lot of fun, especially in Pandaria and I value fun way more than challenge. Mostly because you can create challenge for yourself. Like I duo instances nowadays, with a tank and an healer of same level, no over-levelled items.

It is doable and much more challenging than running it with five. Also you do not have to bear up the jerk-filled cesspool that is the random dungeon finder. Of course if you got more friends, by all means, instancing with friends is still a lot of fun.

I think MoP is the best expansion WoW ever had. The continent is gorgeous, the pandarens are really interesting race and there is tons and tons of lore and things to do here, more than ever before. Ranging from archaeology being improved and giving you the occasional artefact you can turn in with the lorewalkers, to tons of Rare mobs which spawn frequently enough to be seen by most (Ive killed some 6-7 of them and I am just in the third area)), from random treasures you find around... from lore items you find around that fill in the blanks.. to a smattering of unique voicing which give character to... well.. the characters. Prince Anduin and the alliance people are nice, but the show is easily stolen by Chen Stormstout and Li Li.

The dungeons are nicely done and I appreciate the touch that you get to explore them in the world BEFORE doing the instance if you like. They all have a very strong theme.

The addition of new ways to play at end (scenarios, unlimited dailies, challenge dungeons) is a nice extra I cannot judge yet (but I expect to like scenarios and the dailies at first, then get bored of them). Pet battles are quite involved with hundreds of different pets and abilities which you can completely ignore if you like.. and yes, it is not perfect and there are some issues there.

Mostly though.... it looks like Blizzard care again. The game has been out merely 3 months and we already had a chunky 5.1 patch, introducing new storylines and a world pvp area/events. 5.2 is almost on the PTC already and will add a Quel'Danas/Molten Front daily area that promise to keep the best parts of both those areas... which historically have always been well received and a new raid. So looks like Blizzard is speeding up their content patches and let me tell you, after the glacial pace of Cataclysm, it is an extremely welcome initiative.

The Talent system is what it is. Most forget that Blizzard also revamped completely the class system while changing the talents, so now each spec is quite different from the others. As someone mentioned, not all Warlocks have shadow bolt for example which used to be a staple of the class, instead it should really be considered there are 10 archetypes in the game and each archetype has 3 different classes related to them but different. The addition of Damage/healing (the act of healing while inflicting damage) and the Monk also improve the variety of concepts present in the game, but yes, The new talent system is quite forgettable as are the new Glyph system. Expect to do most of your customiziation at level 10 when you choose your spec.

All in all, this is the best expansion yet for veteran WoW players, but does not really change any of the existing game mechanics, it just make them shine brighter than ever.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Me - Started playing 2004 - 2008 - I'de say no, The feeling of playing a game that has been stripped down to the bone is all i can say.

You - Started playing 2010 -- Yes - Because your still new and you should enjoy it.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

It's worth trying as long as you have an open mind and aren't opposed to theme park games and quest hubs.

I'm playing it now and really like the LFR addition.  I think they went way overboard on dailies though.  Dailies aren't content they are grinds.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Renton81

Hey,
    I started playing World of Warcraft in early 2010, playing as a Rogue until level 80. In 2011, I then bought Cataclysm, yet I started to lose interest because the game gradually became more boring and repetitive. So I quit in March this year.

personally Cata turned me off and i havent been back yet

i used to re-visit WOW a few times a year

ive heard MOP is good expansion - I advise resubbing for a month to see yourself

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Worth subbing for a month to enjoy the levelling xp. Once you hit max level though it's a bit of a mess, LFR and instances are so under tuned it's comical, run through room, aoe room.. Other issue is gear, blizzard are still clinging to an outdated model where you have to spend whole nights in scheduled raids to get gear to bring you on a level playing field. Example: 2 players with equal skill, player 1 plays 20 hours a week doing everything, player 2 spends 2 nights raiding. Player 1 will allways be 1-1 1/2 tiers behind and is destroyed in a 1 to 1 basis.

Recommend trying Rift after you have tried wow, much better than wow now in nearly all areas (animation sucks lol)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DesdemonicDesdemonic Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,

As part of my BA I am conducting research on gaming language, especially how it is used in MMORPGs such as WoW. If you like, you could help me with my research by filling out this quick survey:

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=9ps6bg4pa2v04na181500&refer=freeonlinesurveys.com

It is completely anonymous and will only take you about 3 minutes to fill out. Your participation would greatly contribute to my research! :)

If you participate, please be as truthful in your answering of the questions as possible.

Thank you very much to those that are interested, I am very grateful to all of you :)

xxx
    Desdemonic