Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] General: Suzie's Best of 2012

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

2012 is nearly over and it's always fun to take a look back at the games that we spent lots of hours enjoying. We'll be spending this week talking about the games that we, the staff of MMORPG.com, caught our attention in the year that was. As ever, join the conversation in the comments. Suzie weighs in with her choices on this fourth day of 2013. Read on!

I’m going to be honest here and admit that there were few, if any, MMOs that I played simply because I wanted to play them. Most that have found their way to my GotY list are there because I needed to play them for work but ended up being surprised by them and playing longer than was required. Still, 2012 gifted me with a lot of games with tons of fun times within. Even if I initially started most of them as a function of my job, all ended up being worthwhile time sinks for those hours I could just sit back and enjoy.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Suzie's Best of 2012.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Oooo I can't wait for the D3 reaction! 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by bliss14
    Oooo I can't wait for the D3 reaction! 

Believe me, I know they'll show up but...cant' help what I like. *shrugs* :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    sorry suzie but D3,no way jose.really disappointed with this game..i guess i was lucky in that i didnt have to pay fr it seen has the wife plays WOW.boy was i glad of that..T2 is way better in all departments.just more fun all round.
  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    i've played TSW off and on ultimately giving it up. everyone keeps saying how it's new and fresh, but i never saw how. mind explaining that? hopefully you're all not just talking about the setting.
  • DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

With TSW it is the setting and storylines for me.

As a theme park game its fun but also allows you to explore all the places there and there are some interesting areas in the game I thoroughly enjoy. Not even got to the higher level areas yet!

D3 was worth one play through with each character I think, but I cant really cope with the same places over and over again. Its very unrandomised in my opinion and not much fun there I think.

GW2 I tried a bit on the GF's account, but didn't grip me.

But then I'm an EVE and strategy game player so lots of things don't grip me.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Comments should be fun on this one

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Out of D3, ME3 and TL2 it is TL2 by a mile.

As for the rest then it's your opinion so that's fare enough. It's not like this thread is about voting, it's about what you like in 2012.

Fare dues.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Diablo 3 was jolly good fun. But the Auction House ruined the longevity. Easier just to buy the gear you want rather than find it. Not even talking RMAH

Originally posted by Dalmont

With TSW it is the setting and storylines for me.

that's preference, what's the fresh and new parts so many people are talking about?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Suzie summed up why I don't like d3 but do like tl2

These sorts of games are supposed to be loot pinatas. Tl2 is. D3 was more about making endless treks back to town to sell stuff and accumulate gold so you can then buy the gear you actually want on the ah. This made the pace all wrong for me. Also tl2 was better randomized, so successive playthroughs felt fresher.

Suprised borderlands 2 wasn't on the list, it kinda goes with d3 and tl2.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Diablo 3 was jolly good fun. But the Auction House ruined the longevity. Easier just to buy the gear you want rather than find it. Not even talking RMAH

This is one of the biggest reason I quit playing.

I put so much time into my character (hundreds of hours). I had some of the best gear possible. I never purchased anything from the RMAH. However, because of the constant farming and gold selling, the value of these items dropped to the point where they were just worthless. I put so much time into getting these items for PvP, yet Richie Rich can compete with me with only 10-20 hours of gameplay.

The Diablo 3 development team is the worst team.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Glad to see RIFT in there. I don't play it because it's not exactly my type of game (although I did beta test it and recently tried their free lv 1-20 trial), Trion is a company that, without a doubt, deserve a lot of praise for the insane pace at which they develop content. They're the only company so far to make the $15 a month seem worth it because they're delivering new content on a nearly monthly basis, unlike certain other games...

Surprised they didn't get more mention than that this year however. (Although Storm Legion did get them an award)

I love the Diablo setting and universe. I actually -like- the story and genuinely choked up when Cain died in D3.  My whole online gaming experience started with the original Diablo so I am a vested and passionate fan of the world Blizzard created. 

While I dearly love Torchlight 2, I don't care about the story at all. That's what made the biggest difference to me and how D3 got the nod over TL2.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

To me Bioware lost the crown in the rpg genre a while ago. Bethesda has it now thanks to Skyrim and Dishonered. ME3 is just a shallow version of great games that Bioware used to create.

I would never chose Diablo III as best game, for principe reasons. The silly always online requirement for the single player part and the lack of random map generation and modability makes it not even near as good as Torchlight 2. D3 sold well mainly due to its name (imagine it being named differently and made by a different company).

I agree about GW2 , Rift and TSW though. Not sure why SWTOR should show up here. That was a step back in the MMO genre imo.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    i've played TSW off and on ultimately giving it up. everyone keeps saying how it's new and fresh, but i never saw how. mind explaining that? hopefully you're all not just talking about the setting.

The setting, the detective quests, the lore and the horizontel grinding :)

New stuff in other words :) 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by someforumguy

To me Bioware lost the crown in the rpg genre a while ago. Bethesda has it now thanks to Skyrim and Dishonered.

Skyrim was indeed developed by Bethesda Games Studio, however Dishonored was developed by Arkane Studio and published by Bethesda Softworks. ;)

• MeriliremMerilirem Member Posts: 77
    I'm not really expecting anything from next years games beyond a few steps in the right direction toxin by a drunken baby giraffe. I have nothing against them personally, just seems like a bunch of people who don't know what their doing or don't think about why they do things. Elder scrolls online gives me some hope, but seeing how they massacred the oblivion and skyrim makes me think ESO is likely to be another drunken giraffe, which while novel and interesting, is only a passing fancy.

If a butterfly learnt to speak, to live in human society, paid its bills, had a job, lived in a fancy house and married a human, is it human?

Now what if that same butterfly knew how to write code better than any human and had years of experience in the game industry, would that make it a game designer?

If u wouldn't let a construction worker design your house, then why let a programmer design your world?

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    If you never played D2 then D 3 probably isn't bad
    Originally posted by mymmo

the quests while not all new were my most obvious thing that was implemented somewhat  differently. the "grinding" is completely linear and standard. the zone progression is the same. you can only go where you gear permits really, and the gear determines your level. the character level is more "omitted" than non-existent. this aspect of TSW functions exactly the same as world of warcraft.

Originally posted by mymmo

the quests while not all new were my most obvious thing that was implemented somewhat  differently. the "grinding" is completely linear and standard(vertical). the zone progression is the same. you can only go where you gear permits really, and the gear determines your level. the character level is more "omitted" than non-existent. this aspect of TSW functions exactly the same as world of warcraft.

the lore is patchwork from century old recycled stories, different names plugged in.

Originally posted by KingofHartz

I still play Diablo 2, complete with two level 99 hardcore Amazons. ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

That is very true. I think the majority of complaints about D3 is that it isn't D2. 

I like Suzie's list. It's the best list so for from the MMORPG staff.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

At least Suzie's list made a lot more since than a couple of the other list that we saw. I got to still disagree with swtor being the best of 2012. but hey thats me. Diablo 3 was ok it lasted me 3 months.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by Psychow

That is very true. I think the majority of complaints about D3 is that it isn't D2. 

I like Suzie's list. It's the best list so for from the MMORPG staff.

The list is ok. The sad part is that is consists of 4 themeparks and 3 games which are not even MMOs. I wished a more sandboxish game would have made it into that list. Unfortunately I also see no sandbox in 2012 which would deserve it.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Finally a list that makes SOME sense.

I came here thinking "oh gawd pwease say GW2!!!" and of course it delivered.  That stinker gets so much more praise than it deserves.

But at least you picked D3, ME3, and TL2, along with the only one so far that picked Rift if I'm not mistaken.