Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with gaming Desktop plz

Spartan3088Spartan3088 Member Posts: 35

So I know very little about computers....I am looking to buy a gaming desktop around $1,000.00(little over if i have to but not much). Dont care to much from where i buy it as long as they make a good computer that will last me for some time. This is the best i found so far. Plz help me with what i should change on it or if u can find one thats better / less money.  thxs alot any help will be appreciated

This set up ran $1,031.00

Case

NZXT Phantom 410 Gaming Case - FREE Upgrade to NZXT Phantom Full Tower Case - White

Processor

AMD FX-4100 CPU (4x 3.60GHz/4MB L2 Cache)

Processor Cooling

Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink

Memory

16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - G.Skill Ripjaws X

Video Card

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 - 1GB

Video Card Brand

Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA

Motherboard

ASUS M5A97 R2.0 -- AMD 970

Power Supply

850 Watt - AZZA Dynamo 850W

Primary Hard Drive

2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive

[12X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Re-Writer, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black

Flash Media Reader / Writer

12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black

Sound Card

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE

Network Card

Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Operating System

Windows 8 + Office 2010 Trial [Free 60-Day !!!] - 64-bit

Keyboard

iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard

Mouse

iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse - Blood Red

Monitor

None

Warranty

3 Year Standard Warranty Service

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/2012_Mage (where i found it sorry wasnt able to change what i picked)

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Thats way overpriced for what your getting.

Look at http://avadirect.com

and see what they have. I looked at their amd systems and put together a better one for $1012.

AMD fx 6100

Hyper 212 cpu cooler

asus m5a97 motherboard

Crucial 8gb DDR3 1333

msi 7850 gpu

Western Digital 1tb sata 3 7200rpm 64mb cache HDD

Sony dvd/cd player & burner

antec 300 case

Thermaltake 550w gold certified power supply

windows 7 64 bit

That configuration for $1012. Which will blow what you have listed from ibuypower away in terms of gaming performance.

that ibuypower rig has alot of stuff you dont need and a weak video card. Having a blu ray burner is great, a 850w power supply too. But then you have a 650 for a video card?!? Overkill on useless stuff and not enuff where it matters.

I would suggest buying parts and paying someone local to put it together if you cant do it yourself. If you must buy a prebuilt then go with AvAdirect instead IMO.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

If you can assemble parts yourself, then you'll come out way ahead of what you'll pay if you need to hire someone else to use a screwdriver for you.

Even if you want to buy from iBuyPower, unless you've got unusual needs, you're putting money in the wrong places.  Hardly anyone needs a Blu-Ray burner; a simple DVD burner will get the job done.  There's no real reason to pay a ton for a full tower case.  Few people need 16 GB of system memory or a 2 TB hard drive, either.  On a sufficiently large budget where you're not really cutting back elsewhere, maybe you get 16 GB of system memory.  But that doesn't describe your situation, and even if you did want 16 GB of memory, two 8 GB modules is more sensible than four 4 GB modules.

Worse, the Azza Dynamo power supply is a piece of junk.  iBuyPower offers the NXZT Hale82 650 W for substantially cheaper, and that's also much better.  (Incidentally, it's the same thing as the Corsair TX650 V2.)

Meanwhile, you're cutting back on the processor, video card, and storage speed to make room for all that other random stuff.  If you're buying from that configurator, then you want an FX-6300.

For a video card, a Radeon HD 7770 makes more sense than a GeForce GTX 650, as it's both faster and much cheaper.  You may want to spend more to get a Radeon HD 7850 or 7870 or GeForce GTX 660, though.

It would also be nice if you could fit a good SSD into the budget.  If it fits, then at their prices, a 120 GB Intel SSD 330 is probably the best option.  You can get the SSD as your primary, and then a hard drive of whatever capacity you actually need as your data hard drive.

• Spartan3088Spartan3088 Member Posts: 35

What do u think about this build Quizzical? This cost $1,196 which is more then i might be able to spend... if i use AMD Radeon HD 7770 - 1GB - Single Card it goes down to $1,049 which i can do. Is the GeForce that much better if i can come up with the money? Also i dont get what the SSD is or does( keep in mind i am a dumbass on computers). I should also say i am going to be playing games like WoW, diablo 3, guild wars2, call of duty, not sure what else. I am willing to buy from someone else Quizzical if u know where a better place is with a good build plz let me know.

Thanks alot for all ur help on this.

Case

NZXT Phantom 410 Gaming Case - FREE Upgrade to NZXT Phantom Full Tower Case - White

I only keep this case because it didnt cost more then most of them and the one or 2 that was cheaper i didnt like the look as much lol (guess i could save $20.00 there)

Processor

AMD FX-6300 CPU (6x 3.50GHz/6MB L2 Cache)

Processor Cooling

Memory

8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand - FREE Upgrade to G.Skill Ripjaws

I will be ok with only 8GB or should i get 16GB for $66?

Video Card

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - 2GB - Single Card

Video Card Brand

Motherboard

Power Supply

750 Watt - Corsair CX750

Primary Hard Drive

120 GB Intel 330 SSD - Single Drive

Data Hard Drive

1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive

24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

Sound Card

Network Card

Operating System

Warranty

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Without digging in to deep, and confusing things with my opinions, I'll just say.

Drop the soundcard in any build you do.

Almost every motherboard comes with a good (as in better than decent) sound card built into it.

I used to think the same thing, that is until my last build. Use the on-board sound.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

Originally posted by Spartan3088

What do u think about this build Quizzical? This cost $1,196 which is more then i might be able to spend... if i use AMD Radeon HD 7770 - 1GB - Single Card it goes down to $1,049 which i can do. Is the GeForce that much better if i can come up with the money? Also i dont get what the SSD is or does( keep in mind i am a dumbass on computers). I should also say i am going to be playing games like WoW, diablo 3, guild wars2, call of duty, not sure what else. I am willing to buy from someone else Quizzical if u know where a better place is with a good build plz let me know.

Thanks alot for all ur help on this.

Case

I only keep this case because it didnt cost more then most of them and the one or 2 that was cheaper i didnt like the look as much lol (guess i could save $20.00 there)

Processor

Processor Cooling

Memory

8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand - FREE Upgrade to G.Skill Ripjaws

I will be ok with only 8GB or should i get 16GB for $66?

Video Card

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - 2GB - Single Card

Video Card Brand

Motherboard

Power Supply

750 Watt - Corsair CX750

Primary Hard Drive

Data Hard Drive

Optical Drive

Sound Card

Network Card

Operating System

Warranty

Two quick places that you should save money as compared to that build:

1)  Use onboard sound rather than a low end discrete sound card that probably isn't any better than onboard sound.  Discrete sound cards are only for serious audiophiles who will spend hundreds of dollars on a speaker system and then hundreds more on a sound card.

2)  Get the NZXT Hale82 650 W power supply, not the Corsair CX750.  The NZXT Hale82 is both substantially higher quality and also substantially cheaper.  Don't get caught up in the nominal wattage, as you'll probably never pull 300 W from the power supply.

The Corsair CX line of power supplies is all right, but it's very much a budget model of the sort that someone who actually needed 750 W shouldn't consider.  The line makes more sense when you're trying to build a gaming rig on a $500 budget and can pick up a Corsair CX430 V2 for $30 after rebate.

-----

The point of an SSD is that they're fast, while hard drives are slow.  In some situations, an SSD can literally (literally literally, not figuratively literally) be more than 100 times as fast as a typical hard drive.

You know how when you ask your computer to do something, it usually makes you sit there and wait for a while before it does it?  Apart from large Internet downloads, it's usually waiting on your hard drive.  If you had an SSD, you'd have to wait a much shorter amount of time, and sometimes not even a perceptible amount of time.  That makes the computer just work, rather than making you sit there and wait every single time you ask it to do anything.

The idea is that you install the OS and your main programs on the SSD, and then they'll be fast.  Bulk data (e.g., videos, pictures, music) goes on the hard drive to save SSD space, since SSDs are expensive on a $/GB basis.

Originally posted by Aori

8gb is fine for a gamer.

Actually, that's a point I forgot to address earlier.

Today, 4 GB of system memory is plenty for most gaming rigs.  A few years from now, it might not be, so I'd get 8 GB just in case you need more later, as it's quite cheap now.  But 8 GB is already getting double what you need today for futureproofing purposes, so there's no real need to go higher than that for most gaming rigs.

Ok well u guys are kind of making me think about trying to build this pc myself but still not sure would hate to f something up.(how much do u think it saves?) Ok one last time new build

This build if i done it right this time lol puts me at $967 which is great...if i was to up one thing should i go to the AMD Radeon HD 7850 - 2GB for $107 more or AMD FX-8350 CPU (8x 4.00GHz/8MB L2 Cache) for $50.00 more?(or if u 2 have better idea for 1 upgrade) Most likely would only want to spend the money doing one of them but who knows(or should i save the money and what i picked should be good for my use)

thanks alot again!!!

AZZA Armour Gaming Case - Blue

8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - G.Skill Ripjaws X

AMD Radeon HD 7770 - 1GB - Single Card

650 Watt -- NZXT HALE82N-SI / 80+ Bronze

3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I would personally spend the extra money on a better GPU, maybe a 7850 for around $50 more.

The 7770 is a decent entry level card, but it would be the 1st thing you would replace IMO. Might as well save a bit of money now by spending the sxtra $50 bucks on a better GPU that will last alot longer.

If you were on a budget build then a 7770 would make more sense IMO.

My 2cp. Good luck with whatever you choose =)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Spartan if you have the extra cash get the 7850. That will give you bigger performance gain than the 8 core processor.

Also you can shave some money elsewhere. You can run a 6300/7850 setup comfortably on a QUALITY 500w supply.
    I'm running a 6300 and a much more power hungry 7950. It's not troubling my 550w corsair vx in the slightest. Typically drawing about 350w max.

The new generation video cards, both AMD and nvidia are really good power wise.
    It occurs to me. Have you tried pricing the pc without the video card and then pricing the video card elsewhere. might work out cheaper

Fitting a video card Is a really easy job, likewise RAM and to a lesser degree drives.

Fitting the motherboard, cpu and psu is the harder bit where you probably want to see someone else build one first.
    Originally posted by Aori

Check this list, similar to your prebuilt setup.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vMLe

I didn't put alot of work into it but it can prob be cheaper.

{C} {C} {C} {C} {C} {C} {C} {C} {C} {C} {C}
    Component Selection Base Price Promo Shipping Tax Price Where
    CPU

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $129.99 FREE $129.99 Amazon

Remove

Buy

CPU Cooler Choose A CPU Cooler
    Motherboard

Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $89.99 FREE $89.99 Amazon

Remove

Buy

Memory

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $49.99 FREE $49.99 Newegg

Remove

Buy Combo

$94.99 FREE $94.99 NCIX US

Remove

Buy

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.99 FREE $69.99 NCIX US

Remove

Buy

Add Additional Storage
    Video Card Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card $129.99 -$15.00 FREE $114.99 Newegg

Remove

$15.00 mail-in rebate

Add Another Video Card 2-Way CrossFire
    Sound Card Choose A Sound Card
    Case Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 FREE $59.99 Amazon

Remove

Buy

Power Supply

Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply $69.99 -$10.00 FREE $59.99 Newegg

Remove

Buy

$10.00 mail-in rebate

Optical Drive Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer $15.99 FREE $15.99 Newegg

Remove

Buy

Add Another Optical Drive
    Monitor Choose A Monitor
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) $87.99 FREE $87.99 NCIX US

Remove

Buy

Keyboard Choose A Keyboard
    Mouse Choose A Mouse
    Custom Add Custom Part

Base Total: $798.90
    Combo Discounts: -$9.00
    Mail-in Rebates: -$25.00
    Total: $764.90

That's too much to spend for only 8 GB of system memory.  Also, there's no SSD.

So u guys have talked me into trying to build one on my own(hope i can do it). keep in mind i looking to be under the cost of $1,000.00 and looking to play games like diablo 3,wow, guild wars 2, call of duty. This is the build i can up with(its very close to what was posted.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w2LT

few things i wanted to ask about. The CPU cooler... i had no clue what i was getting is this one ok or what else should i look at? Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) vs Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) i have no clue what the different was here only looked at cost which is why i picked OEM(whatever that means). Do i need anything else? more fans or anything? I am very open to change just about anything as long as we can keep the cost about where it is at... $817.90 if something will make a big differents i could spead little more.  let me know what u guys all think plz and thanks so much for all ur help!!!!

Quizzical u kind of acted like u thought it was alot of money for only 8GB memory... could u find or make up a build for less money? Also i didnt put in a SSD because if the SSD doesnt help me out when i am in game then i dont care if the pc take little longer to load something. would be nice to have but i thought i could save money there if its not going to make the game run any better. plz let me know if i am wrong

CPU

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $129.99 FREE $129.99 Amazon

Buy

CPU Cooler Arctic Cooling ACALP64 Pro 36.7 CFM CPU Cooler $19.99 FREE $19.99 Newegg

Buy

Motherboard

Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $91.99 FREE $91.99 NCIX US

Buy

Memory

PNY XLR8 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $36.99 FREE $36.99 Newegg

Buy

Storage

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive {C}{C}{C} $69.99 FREE $69.99 NCIX US {C}{C}{C}{C}{C}{C}

Buy

{C}{C}{C} Video Card {C}{C}{C}

XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card {C}{C}{C} $219.99 -$20.00 FREE $199.99 Newegg {C}{C}{C}{C}{C}{C}

Buy

$20.00 mail-in rebate

{C}{C} Case {C}{C}

NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case {C}{C} $99.99 FREE $99.99 Amazon {C}{C}{C}{C}

Buy

{C}{C} Power Supply {C}{C}

Corsair Gaming 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply {C}{C} $64.99 FREE $64.99 NCIX US {C}{C}{C}{C}

Buy

{C}{C} Optical Drive {C}{C} Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer {C}{C} $15.99 FREE $15.99 Newegg {C}{C}{C}{C}

Buy

{C}{C} Operating System {C}{C} Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) {C}{C} $87.99 FREE $87.99 NCIX US

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I would probably avoid the FX-4100 or FX-6300.  In most cases they will be treated as a dual core or triple core.  If I was to get AMD I think an FX-8xxx from a piledriver architecture or an APU would be the only 2 avenues to consider.  If you are looking for a good AMD CPU I would recommend the FX-8320 instead of the 8350.

I would recommend these changes, but it is a bit higher then your budget at around $1087.  There are a few things I added that if you take out can drop the price below $1000.  The SSD can be dropped, or a 500GB instead of 1TB drive.  Or forgetting about Blu-Ray.

CyberPower B75 Configurator (NO MONITOR)

• *BASE_PRICE: [+565]
    • BLUETOOTH: None
    • CAS: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case [-35] (Black Color)
    • CASUPGRADE: None
    • CD: LG 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive & DVDRW, 3D Playback Combo Drive [+41] (SILVER COLOR [+9])
    • CD2: None
    • COOLANT: Standard Coolant
    • CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 [+14]
    • CS_FAN: Default case fans
    • ENGRAVING: None
    • ENGRAVING_MSG:
    • FA_HDD: None
    • FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
    • FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (SILVER COLOR [+0])
    • FREEBIE_MB: None
    • FREEBIE_VC: None
    • FREEBIE_VC2: None
    • GLASSES: None
    • HDD: 120 GB SAMSUNG 840 Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 530MB/s Read & 130MB/s Write [-11] (Single Drive [Free upgrade from 64GB A-DATA SP900 SSD (Double SSD Capacity - Single drive only)])
    • HDD2: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD [+112] (Single Drive)
    • IEEE_CARD: None
    • IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    • KEYBOARD: Black Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
    • MB_SRT: None
    • MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+33] (Corsair or Major Brand)
    • MONITOR: None
    • MONITOR2: None
    • MONITOR3: None
    • MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] MSI Z77A-G41 Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Winki 3, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2x PCIe X16 (1 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [+17]
    • MOUSE: Black Logitech B100 USB Optical 800 DPI Mouse
    • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    • OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
    • POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series CX600 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply [+33]
    • RUSH: No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Date 14 Business Days
    • SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    • SPEAKERS: None
    • TABLET: None
    • TEMP: None
    • TUNING: None
    • TVRC: None
    • USB: None
    • USBFLASH: None
    • USBHD: None
    • USBX: None
    • VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+205] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
    • VIDEO2: None
    • VIDEO3: None
    • WNC: None
    • _PRICE: (+1087)
    • _view_: {1F7457F3-662B-4E10-B26D-84E32BB4DF5E}
    • _load_: 1/5/2013 1:58:55 PM
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Spartan3088
    Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) vs Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) i have no clue what the different was here only looked at cost which is why i picked OEM(whatever that means).

The difference between Full and OEM is that Full can transfer to another computer (you can only run it on one computer at a time though). OEM is locked to the computer you install it on, so when you build/buy another computer later on, you have to buy a new license for it.

Cleffy. The 6300 is a pile driver chip. It benches around the same as a i5 2500k

The 4100 is a bulldozer chip and should be avoided though. The 4300 is a piledriver but for the price difference might as well get the 6300
  • tadams2tonetadams2tone Member UncommonPosts: 59
    I didn't read the whole thread so please forgive me if someone already said this.  Please, please, please, do yourself a favor and do not buy from IBUYPOWER or Cyberpowerpc (same company).  I don't even know how these guys are allowed to operate.  I will not bore you with the every detail about my experience with them, but they sent me two broken pcs (I'm computer literate, just didn't wanna build my own)  One had a broken gpu in it, yes it happens, one had a broken motherboard, hardrive and broken gpu as well.  They use stalling tactics in hopes to lead you on until you are past your banks stop payment limit, and when you do return them they will often charge you for something non-existant.  They actually tried to charge me for the broken motherboard they sent me and I had to stop payment and all that jazz.  I highly suspect that they use refurbished parts in place of new ones.  Also, there were debris one of the comps when it arrived.  Both computers did not have all the components I ordered.  Also their rush shipping is a joke, I talked to their sales rep and he basically told me rush shipping is impossible, even though they advertise it right on their site. Their customer services is worse than dismal.  If you have any problems you have to pay all shipping and that's before they try to rip you off.  All while their customer service misleads you and basically will laugh in your face.  I only lurk here, mostly, but I will not stand by and let someone else get ripped off.  Please, if you don't believe me do an in depth google search, there is even a facebook page called Ibuypower is a rip-off.  Some folks get okay comps from them, I'm not denying that.  However, there are so many folks out there who get ripped, just like I did.   Please just do the search, if you search long enough you'll also find out they have been fine 14k by the FCC recently.  Please go somewhere else.  DO NOT BUY FROM IBUYPOWER.