Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tab Targeting is Here to Stay Folks

Comments

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Disagree planetside style combat is the future. The only reason for tab Target is we didnt have the tech or internet structure back then.

Yes it is for mmofps games but we're talking mmorpgs here...

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Phaserlight
    Except we did.  I was playing Vendetta Online in 2003 when literally *no-one* was doing the aim / twitch thing in MMORPGs.  Now it's all the rage, I guess.  It doesn't make a difference to me; different playstyles for different people, I guess.  I feel like I should be in one of those "I was playing aim-based combat before it was cool" memes.  Maybe someone will make one for me.

Sorry, Neocron @ 2002 was the first to mix FPS combat into MMORPG.

Ever since the late-great Neocron, i've found all tab-target MMO's to be boring at best, combat-wise.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    I agree with the OP, I found tera's combat extremely irritating, but that doesn't mean combat can't move foward... If we keep tab targeting  and move foward with better tab targeting combat systems then I would be extremely happy.
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Action combat is not only aiming. It's like saying Ninja Gaiden isn't action combat because you don't aim.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by laokoko

I dont' even remember what D3 combat was like even though I'm paragon 100.  Havn't touch that game in a while.

FIrst of all, D3 isn't your typical MMORPG.  People call them ARPG, I just call them 3d side scrolling game.  Mainly you can't turn camera angle.  And what really make it action oriented is because it is limited to 4 players.  They have less technicle issue with less people involve.

And I shouldn't say FPS, I meant to say action oriented combat where you have to aim yourself, dodge, block etc to me "should be" more popular compare to auto target games.  But I'm no game researcher and I'm probably wrong.  That is just my guess. 

Gosh .. paragon 100 .. how many hours did you play? I am playing for a long while and still like paragon 46.

But back to the point ... this is about whether a game is MMO or not ... and about action combat. FPSes, for example, are not MMOs.

And you do have to aim, dodge (but not block) in D3. It is called an action RPG, precisely because its combat is very actiony. And the point is that FPS is not the only kind. TPS are also very actiony, and in fact, in many 3rd person game, like Darksider 2, blocking is even more important than FPS.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ereyethirn

And why can't it be used in a mmorpg?

If you took a game like planetside, but you crafted weapons and vehicles, built bases and it had pve continents would that not be a mmorpg?

Or if you took a game like wow, but mages manually aimed their fireballs and warriors could lift their shields up to deflect them, would that not be a mmorpg?

Tab Target doesn't make a game anymore mmorpg than action combat.
  • the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

Check into darkfall UW if you got the balls..  No tab target, massive rpg elements, fps / tps style range combat, realistic melee swinging, Full loot pvp system..

The games not ready in fact its far from ready but when it is if you are serious about competative PvP and want to have all the rpg elements like skill gains, gear gains etc Check this game out I am enjoying it but its far from ready for release atm.

• EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200

MMO's with real time combat... Hmm..

Darkfall

Mortal Online

Planetside 2

Fallen Earth

Face of Mankind

Global Agenda

Age of Conan(To some degree)

DDO (Action Combat)

DC Universe (Action Combat)

Guild Wars 2 (Action Combat)

Earthrise

MechWarrior Online

APB: Reloaded

The War Z

Defiance

Dust 514

Elder Scrolls Online

Not sure if I missed any or not.. I think I already forgot what this thread was about.. Something about how tab-targetting is more popular in the MMO-genre..

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

Tab targeting is an invention to deal with not enough bandwidth. I never liked it and is one of the reasons I quit most mmo'as that I quit. I always hoped for at least guild wars type combat if not full fps combat. I feel like you can't get any better at some point and lose interest with tab targeting combat.

I will always hate tab targeting. Dodgeing attacks gives you a chance when odds are against you and it is fun.

The next big thing will be mounts with fps & physics. like Defiance has.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Razeekster

No offence, but people really really need to get over the fact that not every MMO has action combat! Action combat is not a common feature in MMOs like players are trying to make it seem! There are only a couple games that even have it in the West! Tab targetting is mainly what you will find in most MMOs. Players see a couple games with a feature and start acting like it's ridiculous that this feature isn't in every MMO. I'm not sure if it's because like many say, players act like they are entitled, or if they truly think that tab targeting is an outdated feature. I've talked to other players who say they actually prefer tab targeting. Action combat like TERA has caters to certain people and I don't think these people realize that not every player actually wants action combat in every MMO. I say this because every new game I see coming out without action combat I see players complaining about the lack of this feature. I also don't think that players realize that a game engine has to be specifically built around action combat if they want to include it. It's not exactly an "easy" feature to add, and that money could be spent more wisely. Like creating new features that other MMOs don't have. That is why it makes me happy that there hasn't been a large uprising of action combat MMOs and it looks like 2013 will once again be the year of tab targeting. Something that personally makes me happy (I have nothing against action combat but I do not want every MMO to have it).

Can you show me the thread where these supposed players are arguing that action combat is the norm in MMOs? Also, it's funny how a thread about something exceptionally common sense starts such a fight. On this forum you could make a statement that the sky will not turn red tomorrow and there will always be those guys that argue it could or should happen .

But in all seriousness, where is the thread where it was implied its the norm to have action combat, those guys if they exist are on crack. I've only seen threads with people wanting or disliking it.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Fusion
    Originally posted by Phaserlight
    Except we did.  I was playing Vendetta Online in 2003 when literally *no-one* was doing the aim / twitch thing in MMORPGs.  Now it's all the rage, I guess.  It doesn't make a difference to me; different playstyles for different people, I guess.  I feel like I should be in one of those "I was playing aim-based combat before it was cool" memes.  Maybe someone will make one for me.

Sorry, Neocron @ 2002 was the first to mix FPS combat into MMORPG.

Ever since the late-great Neocron, i've found all tab-target MMO's to be boring at best, combat-wise.

Thanks; all I was really trying to say is that games were doing massive action-combat way back when so Neocron is a good example.   I need to be careful when using absolutes.  FYI, Vendetta could be considered class of 2002 also.[1][2] It's hard to say who came first... VO might even have Neocron beat by a few months.

I remember reading about Neocron back in the day, guess I'll have to add it to things to keep an eye on.  I would have liked to have played it while it was on its first run.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

right cause you know the future of the gaming industry ?? I think with time changes will come, not every game will be the same combat obviously, but tab targetting will become less common with time. 

but who knows , they will just keep making what sells, no matter how boring or short shelf likfe the game is.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Darkfall archery/combat = win

Tab-targetting is meh

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Euro if you include gw2, you want tsw in there too, similar combat (state based, active dodging) + Aoc style cone attacks / cone heals.

Although what I really want is a combination of planetside / war of the roses / skyrim combat
    Planetside 1 was around 2002 / 2003 also
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Razeekster

No offence, but people really really need to get over the fact that not every MMO has action combat! Action combat is not a common feature in MMOs like players are trying to make it seem! There are only a couple games that even have it in the West! Tab targetting is mainly what you will find in most MMOs. Players see a couple games with a feature and start acting like it's ridiculous that this feature isn't in every MMO.

I'm not sure if it's because like many say, players act like they are entitled, or if they truly think that tab targeting is an outdated feature. I've talked to other players who say they actually prefer tab targeting. Action combat like TERA has caters to certain people and I don't think these people realize that not every player actually wants action combat in every MMO. I say this because every new game I see coming out without action combat I see players complaining about the lack of this feature.

I also don't think that players realize that a game engine has to be specifically built around action combat if they want to include it. It's not exactly an "easy" feature to add, and that money could be spent more wisely. Like creating new features that other MMOs don't have. That is why it makes me happy that there hasn't been a large uprising of action combat MMOs and it looks like 2013 will once again be the year of tab targeting. Something that personally makes me happy (I have nothing against action combat but I do not want every MMO to have it).

the people have spoken (you're TALKing about how they are speaking here).

if you don't think there's a shift away from traditional MMORPG features in 2013, you haven't been reading much about upcoming games.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Tab Targeting may be here to stay but so is herpes, doesn't mean I want it.
  • moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Nothings challenging any more . Does it really matter if you tab target or dont? I mean- you will get your carrot handed to you regardless.  Kek
  • HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

I find tab targeting style games to be so much easier than aim your hits type game.  In PvE it's not a biggie, in PvP it where I see the big difference.  I am really bad at the aim type games, I just have trouble out playing people when I have to aim my hits.  I generally lose ...... to scrubs.

I can actually keep up with the young-uns in a tab targeting game.  Having said that, I will continue avoid tab targeting games.  I just don't care for them any more.  Darkfall has ruined me.  

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by Eyrothath

Darkfall  Not Released

Mortal Online A Total Mess (niche Game)

Planetside 2  an FPS this is real combat is a staple for this genre and neccassary

Fallen Earth Comabt is sooo slow .. not really real time in the populr sense

Face of Mankind  A Total Mess (niche game)

Global Agenda  A Total Mess (niche game)

Age of Conan(To some degree) from very to no degree at all  errrr no

DDO (Action Combat) messy combat (niche game)

DC Universe (Action Combat) Nicely Done here

Guild Wars 2 (Action Combat)  Anet answer for the Actiony Casual Xbox Generation

Earthrise Not Released

MechWarrior Online Not Released

APB: Reloaded A Total Mess p2w game

The War Z  A Total Mess

Defiance Not Released

Dust 514  Not Released

Elder Scrolls Online  Not Released

Not sure if I missed any or not.. I think I already forgot what this thread was about.. Something about how tab-targetting is more popular in the MMO-genre..

Not much of a list really , should we compile a list of Tab target .. bahh why bother

and lets not overlook the fact that one single Tab Target game (WoW)  has more players than your entire list put together .... go figure

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Tab targetting is here to stay I'm sure, but at least that's not all we have to put up with now.  At least there are some choices for a more action-oriented combat.

I like a little blend of the two like we see in GW2 and TSW.  RaiderZ style is fun, but the controls aren't my favorite.  Totally static rng based combat feels stale and makes some of my games feel very similar in combat (rift, wow, lotro, eq2).  A mix of each is nice for me.

My favorite that I've seen so far is Guild Wars 2 because I think it balances it pretty good. It's not completely action combat and yet it's not completely tab target. 

Smile

Originally posted by Eyrothath

Darkfall

Mortal Online

Planetside 2

Fallen Earth

Face of Mankind

Global Agenda

Age of Conan(To some degree)

DDO (Action Combat)

DC Universe (Action Combat)

Guild Wars 2 (Action Combat)

Earthrise

MechWarrior Online

APB: Reloaded

The War Z

Defiance

Dust 514

Elder Scrolls Online

More like tab targetting isn't going anywhere anytime soon ^~^

Smile

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Tab targeting / hotkey rotations is dated and boring.  There is no depth involved in that combat system, whether it's twitch, strategic, or tactical play.  That doesn't mean every MMO in the future has to have action combat systems, but anything besides tab targeting would be prefered at this point.  Look at games like Pirates 101 or Wakfu for example of combat systems that are not action oriented and different.

Seriously, why do people like tab targeting / hotkey rotation systems?  Because you can macro your game and play it while watching TV or doing something else?  Because it's so easy that anyone can learn it?  Because it doesn't involve any amount of skill or strategic thinking to use?  I'm really curious as to what the pros are of the system.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Tab target combat is ideal for mindless grinding.  Using Shaiya PVE grind as an example.

Autoattack key - Character picks a target, runs to target, starts auto attacking

Special attack keys - Character fires special attack and keeps on auto attacking

Loot key - Character loots corpse

1 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 2        [... repeat ...]

No mouse needed, and combat can easily be done while watching TV.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by Magnum2103

Tab targeting / hotkey rotations is dated and boring.  There is no depth involved in that combat system, whether it's twitch, strategic, or tactical play.  That doesn't mean every MMO in the future has to have action combat systems, but anything besides tab targeting would be prefered at this point.  Look at games like Pirates 101 or Wakfu for example of combat systems that are not action oriented and different.

Seriously, why do people like tab targeting / hotkey rotation systems?  Because you can macro your game and play it while watching TV or doing something else?  Because it's so easy that anyone can learn it?  Because it doesn't involve any amount of skill or strategic thinking to use?  I'm really curious as to what the pros are of the system.

Because it's what people are used to. Action combat and other types of combat styles are fine but I wouldn't want tab targetting just to vanish.

Smile

This discussion has been closed.