Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: First Beta Event Dated

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion, Syfy and the Defiance team have announced that the first beta event for the upcoming MMO is slated for January 18-20th. Called “Advanced Mission Beta 1”, players will have access to several zones including the tutorial, massive co-op boss battles and a 'competitive multiplayer map'.

Participants in “Advanced Mission Beta 1” will be transported to a futuristic San Francisco bay area, and will take on the role of an ark hunter.  Part treasure hunter, part mercenary, ark hunters are genetically enhanced operatives who are fearless and lethal, dedicated in their mission to recover valuable alien technology and sell it to the highest bidder.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Something about that tidbit concerns me.  Like is this just an all instanced game, with story modules, etc?
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    The makeup on that pale alien guy needs work...
  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by BTrayaL
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Something about that tidbit concerns me.  Like is this just an all instanced game, with story modules, etc?

[mod edit]

sigh. i remember this same type of post word for word with SWTOR. anyway, defiance just looks like Firefall with a different visual style.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

[mod edit]

sigh. i remember this same type of post word for word with SWTOR. anyway, defiance just looks like Firefall with a different visual style.

with the exception that it plays much better (atleast did on gamescon last year).

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Signed.

Fingers crossed.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

no.  lots of open world overland from the looks of their videos.  even with opt-in OWPVP.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• WonderweissMWonderweissM Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Btw guys, you can sign up for the Beta now on the Defiance website.
  • WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    I can only just hope it is decent, and not another Tabula Rasa....
  • DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135
    So is RIFT just an afterthought for Trion now? I don't like it when a small company works on two MMOs at the same time. See: Cryptic.
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Signed up for it - hope to get in for sure. This game has some great potential especially if they elaborate on the features, world and gameplay even further in the future.  Nice to see a great looking action MMORPG shaping up well - Trion has my respect as developers.

I hope they'll make it more than 'BORDERLANDS ONLINE' and eventually have some sandbox features that allow the players to really move into this world they're crafting and make it their own.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

[mod edit]

Certainly have more confidence in Trion with their MMO experience than I do in the Firefall team.  Going to be interesting how this game works out.

• sui2ksui2k Member UncommonPosts: 30

Defiance is not firefall .. believe me, it's not.  it has .. hmm .. let me say it is a mix of Metro, Stalker, Fallout, Borderlands and of course Tabula Rasa.

this game have so much potential in it  and the adaption to the scifi show .. is something new.

• pmreeb23pmreeb23 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    It's got a RIFT feel to it aswell with the Ark hunt's which fall out of the sky they are similar to rifts... 

they are just events .. nothing special
  • evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171

They said it's largely an open world game with open world pve and pvp. It does have instanced stuff too, one of the E3 videos shows them doing a PVE instance.

• evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171
    A developer also said they added the quad mounts because it takes a long time to run on foot across the huge open world.
    you have a open world san fran. the only instanced areas are co-op missions and pvp.
  • BoonezBoonez Member UncommonPosts: 13
    The whole concept sound really awesome, but I'll reserve my opinion till I have a chance to play it.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Deeter
    So is RIFT just an afterthought for Trion now? I don't like it when a small company works on two MMOs at the same time. See: Cryptic.

Nope. From what I've read, RIFT and Defiance are being developped by seperate teams located in a different state I believe. (Still made by Trion, but a different studio in a different state)

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342
    also note, trion is not a "small studio" it employs over 450 people still (even after the layoffs)
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

For anyone not familiar with the game, this game is a Cross platform post-apocalyptic MMO third person shooter in open world, paired with SyFy show starting 2 weeks after the game launches in april. image

There are some nice videos here and here.

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

I can't even register.

I click Register after filling in the info and it just sits there spinning on the page while the browser doesn't show that it is doing anything.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• ch0sen0nech0sen0ne Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Anything with instanced PvP is automatically dead to me.
  • wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241
    Originally posted by DeniZg

For anyone not familiar with the game, this game is a Cross platform post-apocalyptic MMO third person shooter in open world, paired with SyFy show starting 2 weeks after the game launches in april. image

There are some nice videos here and here.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I noticed a few people calling it a MMO/RPG  it is not an MMORPG, it is a MMO/FPS it is a shooter game and will not have all the features a traditional mmo has.

I am looking forward to seeing how they tie it into the  TV show, at least some one is trying to give us something a little different, I hope it works out, I like Trion and the SyFy chanel.