Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Words you wish MMO players would stop using

Comments

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

I have a few:

'WoW Clone' -used when said person  doesn't like a themepark style game but feels the need to enter a discussion without any knowledge of the the game their critising

'Dynamic'- used to defend a static game event or feature, because said defender has bought into a developers marketing.

'Content'- I hate this term alround, it doesn't mean anything in the abstract:

'Oh this game has so much content!',

'This game has so little content!'

What does it mean exactly? It has lots of stuff/or not basically. Having lots of something doesn't make it really a confirmation of a fun game experience, or of how the systems within the game work. It just a definition of volume and doesn't justify being used so much to define a games worth.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by thecapitaine
    "Entitled."  I don't know how or why this word has slithered into every single topic of discussion but it must self-immolate in the most excruciating and spectacular way possible.  It doesn't help that it's broadly misused both here and elsewhere, applied to anyone who has a complaint, request, or desire.  (Nevermind that innovation, discovery, freedom, and change of all kind most often results from wanting something beyond what one currently has).  It's just as provocative and dismissive as "fanboi" and "hater", a way for cranky gamers to wave away the other side's points without actually engaging in a discussion.  My grandparents' generation called my parents' generation selfish, my parents called my generation lazy and my generation calls my kids' generation entitled.  Wonder what the next generalized putdown will be.

This.

If you say anything negative about a game now you're either a 'hater' or feeling 'entitled'.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

In game the word that bothers me most is when other players call everyone "noob"

On forums I think f2p, p2p, b2p, and p2w

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

WoW-clone

Sandbox

Themepark

L2P

'Murica

noob

• Starlight14Starlight14 Member Posts: 8

"U Mad"

"U Jelly"

"Pl0x"

"Toon"

"Entitle(d/ment)"

"Lag" when referring to framerate issues.

"/thread"

"MMO" to describe games where the only thing massive is the chat room and/or town hub before you enter instanced play areas.

"Rouge" and "Solider", among other misspellings.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

qq

In fact the whole mmorpg-terminology is a ridiculous joke and established by people who take themselves and gaming way too serious.

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

Plox.

Everything else doesn't bother me, but this damn word just makes me want to smash my head into my keyboard everytime I see it used.  I get everything else, gank, noob, raped, u mad? and countless others.  They all at least make sense.  How plox even came to be popular boggles my mind.  That, and I find most the noobs who say it generally suck at the game anyways. I can handle pls or plz but man, plox just sounds stupid.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Gold 

Quest

NPC

gameplay

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Oh god:

• Fanboy
    • hardcore
    • casual
    • carebear
    • "theme park" as if it is a derogatory term
    • dynamic
    • static
    • any of the fotm viral gaming terms: ie. jelly, real, hoy, umadbro?, pl0x
    • clone
    • innovative
    • "Meridian 59" when used imply that, having played this game, you are a vastly superior authority on MMO gaming.  
    • heh
    • "You people do realize...right?"
    • "most players" when they really mean "I"
    • Pay2win
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by mad-hatter

Plox.

Everything else doesn't bother me, but this damn word just makes me want to smash my head into my keyboard everytime I see it used.  I get everything else, gank, noob, raped, u mad? and countless others.  They all at least make sense.  How plox even came to be popular boggles my mind.  That, and I find most the noobs who say it generally suck at the game anyways. I can handle pls or plz but man, plox just sounds stupid.

Haha, I think it came from BR speak. Like plz, blzzz, plxx, plox [huahuahuahuahua]

• IgorchtIgorcht Member UncommonPosts: 82

Awful lot of butthurt in this thread.

U mad, bros?

"I am the weapon that strikes/In the hearts of men I thrive/Feeding their fear with lies/I will devour/I will divide/I am the god of hellfire/inside every man there lives a liar/before their gods they cower/I will divide/I will devour" - "Divide Devour" by Iced Earth

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Igorcht

Awful lot of butthurt in this thread.

U mad, bros?

Not at all.  I'm actually quite pleased you used direct address.  

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Bro, brah, anything with unecessary Z's, noob, fail, being so damn lazy that Y and O are left out of you, crap like that.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• DesirsarDesirsar Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Originally posted by Starlight14

"Lag" when referring to framerate issues.

I was reading some other threads and had the "oh my god, how the hell did I forget that?" realization that I didn't post that here.  Lag as a computer term references data transfer.  If your video card isn't sending the HDMI signal to your display at full speed (is that even possible?), you have "lag" in your video.  Otherwise, your card is rendering frames as fast as it can and displaying them equally fast.

Honestly, I can't decide if "lag" or "mob" bothers me more.  Probably "lag", because incorrect use can confuse someone capable of helping you diagnose your performance issues because they likely know the correct meaning and usage of the term.

• neumneum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    "Special Snowflake"  I do not know why but I hate that word.  Also entitled .

• myrmxmyrmx Member Posts: 93
    turrents
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Fail

followed closely by

Epic

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    im just gonna shorten the list to basically the "internet language" would cover it.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar
    rouge

this ^ ^

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Chuck Norris

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

no one's mentioned the overused "WTF" yet

dont know about wow clone, but the word WoW just gets people arguing, regardless if it's "this games better than wow" or this game is nothing compared to wow (world of wankers)

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• xxpigxxxxpigxx Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by charlizd
    WoW clone and U mad bro, both of these are old and way over used, 

Oh, I forgot about 'U mad bro'

That phrase should be an executable offense.

This

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Plox: Oh dear sweet merciful... what hideous, deformed being first ripped this term out from the depths of his or her ignorance and unleashed it upon the swarming internet hordes? IT MAKES NO SENSE! PLS or PLZ at least make some kind of sense, and sound like the word they're trying to shorten, but PLOX?!? AAARRRGGHHH. People who use this word need to be enslaved by Daleks.

This

And I almost forgot . . .

Originally posted by xxpigxx

This

All drive me nuts

• pickleballspickleballs Member UncommonPosts: 35

how about DPS LFG.......  everyone in an mmo no matter what class has dps. shouldnt we be saying DD for damage dealer or nuker, something has to be better.

second least favorite is when people say "PST me"  horrible use of the english language.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Ripper X saying EPIC every other word in his video's makes me want to choke him out.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Themepark

Sandbox

Content Locusts

"It's about the journey not the destination"

Too Hard

UO, EQ, SWG, DAOC, etc. (or any of these old MMOs constantly referenced when refering to the good old days)