Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anet throws out perma bans for wintersday exploit

Comments

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

I agree 100% with ANETs move to ban these players.  I have seen too many games ruined by exploits over the years, if ANET banned these players its likely they did it over and over and oer and over and over again, which would signifigantly impact the economy for all sorts of items.

I have zero sympathy for exploiters.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by dlld

My personal stance is that nothing you do within the game with game mechanics provided by the developers should ever warrant permanent restriction to something you paid for.

Basically sums up my stance. It's their fault the exploit was in the game, it's their fault they don't have a PTR, it's their fault GW2 is a gear/gold grind and filled with botters ruining the market.

Anet temp or perma bans everyone and anyone any chance they get in-game or on the forums and I hate it.

• mate0377mate0377 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

My personal stance is that nothing you do within the game with game mechanics provided by the developers should ever warrant permanent restriction to something you paid for.

Basically sums up my stance. It's their fault the exploit was in the game, it's their fault they don't have a PTR, it's their fault GW2 is a gear/gold grind and filled with botters ruining the market.

Anet temp or perma bans everyone and anyone any chance they get in-game or on the forums and I hate it.

bullcrap

its the fault of players who exploited it. Its like you go get money from ATM and for every 10$ (substracted from your account) you get 100$ real money.

And exploiter will deffend himself with bullcrap like I didnt know thats an exploit I tought its present from my bank....

But in the end you allways get punished

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by mate0377
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

bullcrap

its the fault of players who exploited it. Its like you go get money from ATM and for every 10$ (substracted from your account) you get 100$ real money.

And exploiter will deffend himself with bullcrap like I didnt know thats an exploit I tought its present from my bank....

But in the end you allways get punished

Funny thing is, one of my guild mates who wasn't banned, acutally LOST money on this, because RNG hates him =D.  He ended up spending more on mithril than he took in on ectos, since he got so few.  So for him, it was like the bank took $11 out of his account for every $10 it gave him.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I think perma ban is harsh, probably they should have gone for temp ban. However, it is a well known fact (I hope it is) that exploiting bugs can get you banned. It is listed as a bannable offence in most terms of use of most online games. That's why I never exploit bugs. I remember in WoW, some of my friends were talking me into exploiting bugs with them. My answer was "Naah, I don't want to get banned".

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by jpaprocki
    You can bet that if GW2 were a sub-based game those poeple would not have had a perma-ban placed on them.  Anet got their money so no skin off thier back.  I don't feel sorry for them one bit.

So doesn't that imply that a P2P game won't ban exploiters and an honest person is better off playing B2P games?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166

so instead of them fixing the issue and rolling back account they perma ban them? wow...glad i never got this game, Anet sounds just as bad as the warz devs.

i mean common if you had to get to point a to b and you knew about a shortcut that would cut your time in half u woudnt take it? HELL NO if it saves me time i would take it

Or if you wanted to buy sumthing but were short 10 bucks and as you were walkign out of the sotre u see sumone drop a 10 and not notice it you would pic it up and give it to them? HELL NO i would grab it and go get my item!

No clue how this game got such good reviews....guess the gamers of 2012 were just blinded by fancy "new" features...i say "new" cuz nothign this game offerd was new.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Anyone who does something that is obviously wrong, then repeatedly does it again to exploit the mechanic deserves to be perma banned.  It sends a strong message that they don't want your type there.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    You can bet that if GW2 were a sub-based game those poeple would not have had a perma-ban placed on them.  Anet got their money so no skin off thier back.  I don't feel sorry for them one bit.

So doesn't that imply that a P2P game won't ban exploiters and an honest person is better off playing B2P games?

No, since you can just buy another copy, then buy gold from Arenanet and get your money back (still have to level).  If they were serious they would have done IP bans plus account bans.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Derros
    Originally posted by eyelolled

No, since you can just buy another copy, then buy gold from Arenanet and get your money back (still have to level).  If they were serious they would have done IP bans plus account bans.

IP bans are rarely used in cases like this for a reason. They're unreliable at best and very harmful at worst.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Dantae87

so instead of them fixing the issue and rolling back account they perma ban them? wow...glad i never got this game, Anet sounds just as bad as the warz devs.

i mean common if you had to get to point a to b and you knew about a shortcut that would cut your time in half u woudnt take it? HELL NO if it saves me time i would take it

Or if you wanted to buy sumthing but were short 10 bucks and as you were walkign out of the sotre u see sumone drop a 10 and not notice it you would pic it up and give it to them? HELL NO i would grab it and go get my item!

No clue how this game got such good reviews....guess the gamers of 2012 were just blinded by fancy "new" features...i say "new" cuz nothign this game offerd was new.

Well since they banned less then 200 people ....and the ones that got banned abused the system well over a 1000 times I hoped the folks that got banned join you in the game you are playing

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Derros

Unfortunately, most of my guild's active players got banned >_<.  I have alot less people to play with now.

I also mailed some, not unexpensive, crafting materials to one of those guild members to make something for me, right before I read about their ban.  Of course Anet cant give me those mats back either, they dont give support any tools.

http://i.imgur.com/0SICA.jpg

pic of someone asking an Anet employee about the exploit, basically couldnt conform or deny that it was an exploit.

Perhaps you should play with a better class of folks ....they banned less than 200 total for the exploit.... if it was just your guild good riddance I'd say .

• the problem is anet is a repeat offender.  They have released 1/2 assed shit on the community since well before they released the 1/2 ass shit GW2 is.

GW1 5 or 6 years ago had to have the entire GvG ladder was rolled back 3 days because anet was too fucking stupid to think anyone would use CoP with a dervish. d/mo was obvious

Then there were other dupe item bugs released with night falls after that.

This has all happened before and it will happene again...

too lazy, too arrogant, too bad people didn't see this pile of shitcoming.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

I thought Anet made their policy clear on this. Even in the EULA (which everyone agreed to when they created the account), this is stated. It's stated in almost every MMO out there. Any intentional use of an exploit can result in anything up to and including a permanent ban.

An Anet stated what their definition of abusing an exploit is. Using an exploit one or two times is not considered abusing, as you may not have realized it was an exploit until it's too late. The people banned aren't people only use the exploit once or twice. These are people who use the exploit hundreds, even thousands of times.

Stop with this "oh why should people be banned for using the game". They aren't using the game. They are abusing code that was unintentionally left in the game. Same to people saying "oh their QA should've caught this," you can't can't everything. Players are extremely creative when it comes to finding exploits. A few QA people can't see things that the mass playerbase can.

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93
    Right , IP ban , because a vast majority of users couldn't just reboot their cable modem or uverse one etc and immediately get a new IP as most home users do not pay for static ips.

And that age old thing called a proxy too.

People that suggest IP bans amuse me with their lack of knowledge of the 5 secs it takes to get around that with zero cost.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Good riddance. If players know this is ANets response then other players won't be as likely to try exploiting in the future. The people who did it all knew it was wrong, but continued anyway thinking they would either get away with it or get a slap on the wrist.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by bookworm438

I thought Anet made their policy clear on this. Even in the EULA (which everyone agreed to when they created the account), this is stated. It's stated in almost every MMO out there. Any intentional use of an exploit can result in anything up to and including a permanent ban.

An Anet stated what their definition of abusing an exploit is. Using an exploit one or two times is not considered abusing, as you may not have realized it was an exploit until it's too late. The people banned aren't people only use the exploit once or twice. These are people who use the exploit hundreds, even thousands of times.

Stop with this "oh why should people be banned for using the game". They aren't using the game. They are abusing code that was unintentionally left in the game. Same to people saying "oh their QA should've caught this," you can't can't everything. Players are extremely creative when it comes to finding exploits. A few QA people can't see things that the mass playerbase can.

The issue with this one is that it is not clear if it is an 'exploit'.

You essentially converted Mithiral to Ectos.

If converting one item to another is an exploit, then I guess my toon who is a swordsmith should be banned as well.

Anet's incompetence is once again showing which isn't that surprising to be honest.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Exploit: (n) 2- When a gamer finds a solution to an in-game problem that the devs didn't anticipate, without hacking. Now, taking advantage of a known bug is one thing, but when they can't even tell you their own opinion on the matter, then they hard ban people, it's jist bad management. It doesn't surpruse me though. I can't think of any MMO that hasn't used shady practices in recent years.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• revanirevani Member UncommonPosts: 10

Is this Déjà vu or something?

I could swear i saw the exact same posts when the game started and ANET banned tons of people for exploiting. The outrage was insane.

Since ANET showed early on that they don't tolerate massive exploiting, one would think that people would get a clue... LOL

Originally posted by revani

Is this D

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I'm a bit confused. How is this an exploit? It's not a bug. It's not a glitch. It's a poorly made recipe that is still subject to RNG when you salvage it... right?

I must be missing something out of this story.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

I'm a bit confused. How is this an exploit? It's not a bug. It's not a glitch. It's a poorly made recipe that is still subject to RNG when you salvage it... right?

I must be missing something out of this story.

oh have you not heard? its not Anets fault its the players base...there th einnocent lil schoolgurl in this setup and the player base is the big bad wolf. they didnt make the error just the item in wich the problem came from...BUT i guess they have to make there money sumhow too right? Since its a B3P game they need to ban as much as they can so they can get more ppl to buy a new game copy...how else do they make money?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I didn't see it in here, so here's Regina's post on the matter:

The number of accounts terminated as a result of this exploitative activity is actually very small—fewer than 200. However, these people are the very worst offenders, and engaged in this exploit to egregious levels—hundreds and even thousands of times. They knew exactly what they were doing and they knew that their activities would damage the economy.

As a reminder, when we dealt with the karma exploit incident in September, we said that we would show some leniency for that particular incident. However, we made it clear that future exploits would be dealt with more firmly. As a result, we have terminated the accounts of the worst offenders in this most recent incident.

As always, if you have an exploit to report, please email [email protected].

Thank you.

This wasn't a matter of people making a mistake, or only doing it a few times. This was flat out abuse. As a result, the hammer came down. Knowing this, I support the actions. It wasn't just "ban 'em all". It singled out the worst of the worst only.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

I didn't see it in here, so here's Regina's post on the matter:  The number of accounts terminated as a result of this exploitative activity is actually very small—fewer than 200. However, these people are the very worst offenders, and engaged in this exploit to egregious levels—hundreds and even thousands of times. They knew exactly what they were doing and they knew that their activities would damage the economy.As a reminder, when we dealt with the karma exploit incident in September, we said that we would show some leniency for that particular incident. However, we made it clear that future exploits would be dealt with more firmly. As a result, we have terminated the accounts of the worst offenders in this most recent incident.As always, if you have an exploit to report, please email [email protected].Thank you. This wasn't a matter of people making a mistake, or only doing it a few times. This was flat out abuse. As a result, the hammer came down. Knowing this, I support the actions. It wasn't just "ban 'em all". It singled out the worst of the worst only.

It doesn't matter if they did it a billion times. By Anet not making their stance clear ahead of time, they just basically greenlighted 200 unexplained, random bans.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Originally posted by Volkon

I didn't see it in here, so here's Regina's post on the matter:

The number of accounts terminated as a result of this exploitative activity is actually very small—fewer than 200. However, these people are the very worst offenders, and engaged in this exploit to egregious levels—hundreds and even thousands of times. They knew exactly what they were doing and they knew that their activities would damage the economy.

As a reminder, when we dealt with the karma exploit incident in September, we said that we would show some leniency for that particular incident. However, we made it clear that future exploits would be dealt with more firmly. As a result, we have terminated the accounts of the worst offenders in this most recent incident.

As always, if you have an exploit to report, please email [email protected].

Thank you.

This wasn't a matter of people making a mistake, or only doing it a few times. This was flat out abuse. As a result, the hammer came down. Knowing this, I support the actions. It wasn't just "ban 'em all". It singled out the worst of the worst only.

It doesn't matter if they did it a billion times. By Anet not making their stance clear ahead of time, they just basically greenlighted 200 unexplained, random bans.

Seems pretty fucking clear to me. Exploit again and we will ban you. I don't see how you can't read that.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?