Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony is trying to commit suicide for some unknown reason.

RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154

Just read this article and was wondering, how many people would still support Sony if it happens?

www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/report-new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games?utm_source=Targeted%20Blasts&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Breaking+News:+Sony+Discs+Patent_11145_587933_587940&utm_content=6232486

I for one will not as I buy a lot of my games second hand. Hopefully they won't do this as they would lose out completly to Nintendo and Microsoft. Unless Microsoft does the same, then Nintendo would be loving it.

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by RedMachine72

Just read this article and was wondering, how many people would still support Sony if it happens?

www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/report-new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games?utm_source=Targeted%20Blasts&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Breaking+News:+Sony+Discs+Patent_11145_587933_587940&utm_content=6232486

I for one will not as I buy a lot of my games second hand. Hopefully they won't do this as they would lose out completly to Nintendo and Microsoft. Unless Microsoft does the same, then Nintendo would be loving it.

Microsoft is working on doing the same thing. It's going to hurt console players and hurt sales but won't affect PC players considering we are use to it by now. 

Console gamers will buy many games without to much concern because they know they can always trade it in if they don't like it. They aren't as comfortable with what PC gamers go through and the only reason we are is because we've been dealing with it for years. 

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

So much will happen if this goes live, first rental stores suffering as they are will have a final nail in the coffin, but we can all agree that was coming anyway sooner or later, if games go this direction, how long before DvDs and Bluray.

The inability not to be able to play your games if you have to replace your console will be thing that will bite sony in the ass, and it wont be possible to create a system to update your new console with your old ones ID, because if there was hackers would be all over it and it would be cracked in no time. I guess if they introduce a new warrenty or replacement contract with all there console buyers that if your console breaks you can buy one from sony or the reseller with the same ID as your old one I guess it could work but that would be a significant investment on Sony's part and I dont see them doing it.

I can understand why they would want this system, its been there aim all along to combat priacy, but if they dont change the system to complement the new ID's, whats the point.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Every used copy that gets into circulation is pretty much one new sale denied AND companies don't see a dime from used game profits. I see their angle on this.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I am going to tell them in no uncertain terms that I will not buy a console game system that blocks use of second hand games. I think anyone who agree's with me should do the same thing.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

dont agree w what sony is doing

but maybe they are trying to do something like Steam

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    OMG that PS4 looks liek crap reminds me of a old atari....

• CoxelCoxel Member CommonPosts: 2
    That is illegal in the USA.   They might be able to enforce that elsewhere but here we do have a right that protects us from such measure and has been upheld repeatedly by the supreme court.
  • CoxelCoxel Member CommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by Nadia

Legally this is very different from steam.   There are many laws on the books when dealing with physical property.   Virtual not so much but if someone wanted to take Valve to court over the matter they should theoretically win the right to their serial codes and be able to sell those.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Having the game bound to one owner ruins their collectibility.  It also screws over players who choose to rent over buy.  That's like expecting people to buy every movie they watch.

If they want to fix this, then publishers should enter agreements with retailers that whenever they sell a used copy that they a fee back to the publisher.  It could be considered a royalty of sorts.  This would pretty much fix the problem exactly at the root, with retailers who make a stupid amount of money ripping players off.

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    I wouldn't be surprised if hard copies become a thing of the past in the next 3-5 years.  Look at the music industry if you need any example for what the future holds as far as DL content.

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Honestly I'm in some forms for this... though my issue is those extra profits go to the publisher, not so much the developers who do all the hard work and give the great games. I always disliked Ebgames for the fact they do take away from money hard working game designers get due to Used games. In a way I wish you could control where the money went to for purchases and provide a platform in which the people who create games can profit from it more. Stores should promote buying new games rather then selling old ones and the producers should NOT be raking in a majority of the profits, particularly if they are attempting to push games solely for profit which unfortunately many are (big case in point, EA). 

I think though my 'ideal' would be quite hard to accomplish, though perhaps there can some way to promote this type of growth. In a way Indie games do have this benefit already as it is though its not really explored in terms of having a 'physical' title to launch with. 

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Coxel
    That is illegal in the USA.   They might be able to enforce that elsewhere but here we do have a right that protects us from such measure and has been upheld repeatedly by the supreme court.

Your right to resell the physical disc is protected by law, your right to resell the entertainment that the software on the disc provides isn't.  Yea it's messed up but all Congress could do is make it worse so it's unlikely to get any better.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Methos12
    Every used copy that gets into circulation is pretty much one new sale denied AND companies don't see a dime from used game profits. I see their angle on this.

f I buy a car I can sell it second hand because it is mine, I bought it.

If I buy a book I can sell it second hand, because it is mine, I bought it

If I buy a home I can sel it second hand, because it is mine, I bought it.

But if I buy a game I can't sell it second hand, isn't the game mine I bought it?

I can't go to my friends house and play on his playstation?

If the game consule brakes (Because playstations are made cheap) I have to rebuy all my games?

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by steelheartx
    I wouldn't be surprised if hard copies become a thing of the past in the next 3-5 years.  Look at the music industry if you need any example for what the future holds as far as DL content.

Yea this kind of system seems pointless given where things are headed.  I mean when was the last time most of you bought a new PC game in a box sans Collector's editions?  Consoles are a few years behind the PC because of storage limits but those are pretty much gone now.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Honestly I'm in some forms for this... though my issue is those extra profits go to the publisher, not so much the developers who do all the hard work and give the great games. I always disliked Ebgames for the fact they do take away from money hard working game designers get due to Used games. In a way I wish you could control where the money went to for purchases and provide a platform in which the people who create games can profit from it more. Stores should promote buying new games rather then selling old ones and the producers should NOT be raking in a majority of the profits, particularly if they are attempting to push games solely for profit which unfortunately many are (big case in point, EA). 

I think though my 'ideal' would be quite hard to accomplish, though perhaps there can some way to promote this type of growth. In a way Indie games do have this benefit already as it is though its not really explored in terms of having a 'physical' title to launch with. 

You make a product and you put a price on it. if you sell 50 of them you made 50x the amount of money you charge per. You made what you were suposed to make, you shouldnt get money from used games sellers.   if i sell a game to you personally do i then owe the game company money, no it was mine to sell to whom i want to. 

would be like baning people from buying used cars,  its ridiculous

• so you wouldnt even be able to lend a friend a game anymore. this is absolutely stupid
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

And your proof for this is?

Isn't just as likely that someone unable to buy a used copy won't go out any buy a new game? If that's the case then all these efforts only end up pissing people off and reducing sales.

I think there is a strong case to be made that all these years of anti-piracy efforts have done much more harm than good.

• stori11stori11 Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Dantae87
    OMG that PS4 looks liek crap reminds me of a old atari....

[mod edit] Did you see dev kits for PS3 and Xbox 360? They looked like normal computers. This isnt how the actual ps4 will look like.

As for the topic, if I can not exchange and borrow games with my friends and family or my console breaking beyond repair means my entire library is useless than Sony won't be seeing my money anytime soon. 

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

Isn't just as likely that someone unable to buy a used copy won't go out any buy a new game? If that's the case then all these efforts only end up pissing people off and reducing sales.

I think there is a strong case to be made that all these years of anti-piracy efforts have done much more harm than good.

No he's correct.  When Gamestop gets used games and resells them, the publishers don't see a dime.  There's been a lot of grumbling and going ons in the industry over this.  They want to maximise their profits. 

However what this kind of thing does, is take the value of your purchases away from you.  There have been some games in the past (rarely) that I've decided I don't really care for anymore, and would rather trade in.  With this kind of measure I can't do that anymore.  I buy a game, I buy it for life with this kind of measure.  I can't loan my game to a friend either.  I would also wonder what this might do if I had more than one PS4 in the house, such as one for my kids. 

But regardless what this does is take value away from the consumer, hopefully to put it in the hands of the developers and publishers.  Personally I hate this kind of crap.  It's nothing more than greed. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Nadia

This is every major gaming company atm. Everyone wants to have what Steam has. The main problem is they are all approaching it from the wrong direction. The reason Steam is what it is today, is because they focused on community, and have a damned smooth / stable platform before they began focusing on monetization.

EA, Microsoft, Sony are all focusing on the monetization, and think that if they have a platform that works well enough for them to sell stuff on, it'll work. Problem is, by doing this, they're competing directly with Steam. And Steam, hands down, blows all 3 company's attempts out of the water.

It's a lot like what's going on w/ Netflix right now. Netflix started a great idea a long time ago, and every other company held on vigorously to their status quo. Now that they see the opportunity they turned their back on, everyone wants a piece of that market, but have waited way too long to do it easily.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Corehaven
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

No he's correct.  When Gamestop gets used games and resells them, the publishers don't see a dime.  There's been a lot of grumbling and going ons in the industry over this.  They want to maximise their profits. 

However what this kind of thing does, is take the value of your purchases away from you.  There have been some games in the past (rarely) that I've decided I don't really care for anymore, and would rather trade in.  With this kind of measure I can't do that anymore.  I buy a game, I buy it for life with this kind of measure.  I can't loan my game to a friend either.  I would also wonder what this might do if I had more than one PS4 in the house, such as one for my kids. 

But regardless what this does is take value away from the consumer, hopefully to put it in the hands of the developers and publishers.  Personally I hate this kind of crap.  It's nothing more than greed. 

Whats funny is that they justify the high price of games primarily on this. With the removal of used games they aren't going to reduce the price even though what they used as a justification has been removed lol. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Coxel

Think again.  Fair use is all  you are allowed  - they have been going after used book and vinyl/CD stores - the DMCA allows this type of company system.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

I see there angle too. They don't see a dime of the 20 dollars or so profit companies like gamefly get from second hand sales. So i like the idea. Its called copyright, 

I will support sony and any other game company that does this. my gf did buy me a couple second hand games once. but i perfer to buy them new, If i have to wait for them to come down to 30 dollar range so be it but still its there games. they have a right to make sure they see profit from every sale. 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I dont understand why software is different from any other material item.  If I buy a DVD player from Wal-Mart I get the rights to it and I can sell it to my neighbor.  Why should a console game be any different?  What makes a console game different from a music CD or a painting or any other material item?  I understand the thought process that we are only leasing the software but that is complete bullcrap. 

What is the difference between buying a console game and leasing a console game forever?  NONE!  It is just wording used by the software industry so they can control our rights to resell.  It is wrong and sadly, there is nothing we can do since the software industry pays so much for lobbiest's in Washington.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD