Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this game needs to shut down and be remade by another company!

Because turbine/warner bros owns it, at this moment.

The end.

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    That would make it the third company to be involved with the project......
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I want either Blizzard or Anet to remake LOTRO.
  • xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

AMEN to that.

Even though im playing GW2 atm, i really hope ANET does not make LOTRO. Part of the reason im hating GW2 is because of its zergy style PVP, i guess their focus is more about zerg which sucks.

Blizzard, never played WoW, seems to know gamers and have the whole package. I'm just dying to get back into a LOTR franchise without dealing with the shitty and outdated LOTRO game made by failbine.

I hate you hobbit movie for bringing me back into the LOTR feeling, damn you Peter! I must play a LOTR game, but not LOTRO/turbine. Hope either one of the two things or both:

1) FU christopher tolk, you pretty much are a big disgrace to your father. Allow games to be made with the LOTR IP

2) Warner bros sell the gaming right to someone else, best to be blizzard. Just make it a good pvp game :)

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

If that happens it will probably end up being worse, not better

People thought Bioware would have done a better job at a Star Wars MMO than SOE, but not so.

LOTRO has definately a better rep than SWG and SWTOR put together. For an IP based game LOTRO as it is, is the best its going to get

Originally posted by superniceguy

People thought Bioware would have done a better job at a Star Wars MMO than SOE, but not so.

LOTRO has definately a better rep than SWG and SWTOR put together. For an IP based game LOTRO as it is, is the best its going to get

I know you underlined MMO, however you still can't ignore Bioware past. They fucked up big with activision as well, which meant a big failure with CoD franchise. Lots of people still didn't trust Bioware when making SWTOR. They use and abuse.

An IP based LOTR game can get better, i have no clue what you are saying. 

1) Blizzard has 10million players playing their games

2) LOTRO became a copy or "WoW clone", which made it a big fail. By saying if it were blizzard then it will end up being worse is just false. LOTRO copied them lol.

Yep, the only thing going for LOTRO is its IP nothing more. 

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

If you're a fan of the books and the lore, LOTRO offers an absolutely amazing PvE experience. 

@OP What is it that you're looking for in a LOTR themed MMO that the current game doesn't offer or do well?   

PvP is really the only crappy aspect of the game in my opinion.  

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

If you're a fan of the books and the lore, LOTRO offers an absolutely amazing PvE experience. 

@OP What is it that you're looking for in a LOTR themed MMO that the current game doesn't offer or do well?   

^

This

The PvE experience was great with LOTRO, however the quality of the game went downhill after lothlorien patch. SoA and Moria was the only thing going for LOTRO.

1) Other than the grind of legenadary weapons, remember with Moria when it came out. They added fricking grindy skirmishes with lothlorien, another WoW feature.

2) Mirkwood totally killed the game.

3) The quality or content went way downhil. Look at Moria, it was amazing the best expansion i have ever seen in mmo history. Moria had tons of instances/raids. Then came mirkwood, RoI, RoR, comon those were a joke RoI was the biggest scandal of them all. 

4) FFS its 2013, this game's combat is from 07. Character animation is terrible. Slow paced combat (yes they added new combat system, mirkwood i think) but still really slow compared to other MMOs. While using skills, it just feels like you can dodge it. Look at GW2 combat or even WoW (so you don't say GW2 is new though), LOTRO is not even close with it.

5) PvP. dont get me started on that one lol.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Lotro WAS pretty good. But they drawn it out to much, so many years and where are they now? Third of the book? Not even that I think.

The game suffered badly with Moria which just highlighted a common MMO failure, fighting supercharged trash mobs. Goblins are NOT a match for a full blown elf or lore-master (gandalf clone). And once you defeaten a dragon and a nazgul, fighting endless goblins just feels tacked on. Moria was too long a dungeon crawl with mobs that just didn't inspire. Then once you FINALLY got out of Moria, you were killed by a sparrows, piglets and fawns... HELLO? Defeater of the watcher, dragon, unnamed horrors and nazgul here. Can I PLEASE get some respect from the BUNNIES?

There is no need to remake Lotro.

Just let the 2nd and 3rd movie be done by another company. And preferably a company that keeps us on track of the story and doesn't invent whole areas on its own.

Moria spelled the end for Lotro, its gated content and legendary gear turned it into a WoW wannabe when it had risen to be a sleeper hit on NOT being a straight WoW clone (PvE centric, only one faction, PvP in a corner of the world you never needed to visit, non-gated content, all comers welcome raiding).

Moria changed it and lots left, desperately trying to find a MMO with little to no PvP, no hardcore raiding (as in gated content, you need gear X to enter dungeon Y where you get gear Z for etc etc) and just a relaxed attitude, oh I reached 50 oh lets do some content to help out others or just for fun.

There is a non hardcore raiding, non-pvp market out there. Just nobody providing it. SWTOR was a bit like it but compared to Lotro, SWTOR is a barren dead universe. 

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by sfc1971

Lotro WAS pretty good. But they drawn it out to much, so many years and where are they now? Third of the book? Not even that I think.

The game suffered badly with Moria which just highlighted a common MMO failure, fighting supercharged trash mobs. Goblins are NOT a match for a full blown elf or lore-master (gandalf clone). And once you defeaten a dragon and a nazgul, fighting endless goblins just feels tacked on. Moria was too long a dungeon crawl with mobs that just didn't inspire. Then once you FINALLY got out of Moria, you were killed by a sparrows, piglets and fawns... HELLO? Defeater of the watcher, dragon, unnamed horrors and nazgul here. Can I PLEASE get some respect from the BUNNIES?

There is no need to remake Lotro.

Just let the 2nd and 3rd movie be done by another company. And preferably a company that keeps us on track of the story and doesn't invent whole areas on its own.

Moria spelled the end for Lotro, its gated content and legendary gear turned it into a WoW wannabe when it had risen to be a sleeper hit on NOT being a straight WoW clone (PvE centric, only one faction, PvP in a corner of the world you never needed to visit, non-gated content, all comers welcome raiding).

Moria changed it and lots left, desperately trying to find a MMO with little to no PvP, no hardcore raiding (as in gated content, you need gear X to enter dungeon Y where you get gear Z for etc etc) and just a relaxed attitude, oh I reached 50 oh lets do some content to help out others or just for fun.

There is a non hardcore raiding, non-pvp market out there. Just nobody providing it. SWTOR was a bit like it but compared to Lotro, SWTOR is a barren dead universe. 

That seems the story of all IP  MMOs. SWG had Jedi in a time when there were no Jedi, and you had to go out killing spiders, nunas, kreetles instead of Sith, plus Jedi can be defeated by smugglers, and the same goes for SWTOR.

WOW works because Blizzard can mould the IP into whatever they want, without much repercussion. If Blizzard or any company end up doing a LOTR MMO then it will probably end up being the same, but the way the MMO industry is going at the momnet, it will be a short time affair. I have been with LOTRO at launch, and I am still playing it. SWTOR only released last year and I am done with it, the GW2 and TSW seem to have the same attention span too.

LOTRO is fine as it is, just continually give feedback to Turbine, to update accordingly

• cappytoicappytoi Member UncommonPosts: 41

Originally posted by xalvi

Originally posted by fat_taddler If you're a fan of the books and the lore, LOTRO offers an absolutely amazing PvE experience.    @OP What is it that you're looking for in a LOTR themed MMO that the current game doesn't offer or do well?      PvP is really the only crappy aspect of the game in my opinion.      

The PvE experience was great with LOTRO, however the quality of the game went downhill after lothlorien patch. SoA and Moria was the only thing going for LOTRO.

1) Other than the grind of legenadary weapons, remember with Moria when it came out. They added fricking grindy skirmishes with lothlorien, another WoW feature.

2) Mirkwood totally killed the game.

3) The quality or content went way downhil. Look at Moria, it was amazing the best expansion i have ever seen in mmo history. Moria had tons of instances/raids. Then came mirkwood, RoI, RoR, comon those were a joke RoI was the biggest scandal of them all. 

4) FFS its 2013, this game's combat is from 07. Character animation is terrible. Slow paced combat (yes they added new combat system, mirkwood i think) but still really slow compared to other MMOs. While using skills, it just feels like you can dodge it. Look at GW2 combat or even WoW (so you don't say GW2 is new though), LOTRO is not even close with it.

5) PvP. dont get me started on that one lol.

1) I don't think WoW has a scaling instance system like skirmishes so I don't know how you say this is a WoW feature.

2) Actually not totally, the great thing about Mirkwood was many of the people still found doing the Moria stuff worthwile for rewards. Now, until they scale them up to level, those great instances are just going waste.

3) Totally agree.

4) I don't think the combat system will ever be changed to something fast paced or action. Generally, no game does this because it is a huge change. But mounted combat is a nice scenery change, I enjoyed it.

5) Over the years, Lotro never promised (officially or not) a solid PvP, never. I think no PvP made this game's PvE part very strong and I appreciate that.

Overall I am bored with RoR and stopped playing, especially after that city building stuff which takes ages and there was nothing worthwile to do in game. For me RoR failed because of its end-game and that released 3 instances are not really coming interesting to me now. But I am sure I'll turn back in 6-7 months.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

Agreed. Either of those companies could have made a more polished game with better systems. 

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104

I agree, these forums are full of ignorant people who don't play or haven't played for years. I'm having as much fun on Laurelin, in fact more fun, than ever, with all the changes since launch. It's as good as it's ever been with enough players to make it feel vibrant on my server. I've played most mmos since UO and lotro is head and shoulders above pretty much everthing, including new crap like ToR and TSW, when it comes to RP and immersion.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I got sick of the game after they went F2P.  The constant reminders of how I can buy turbine points and stuff really got to me.  I played LotRO because it was a great PvE game, and it had some really great immersion.  F2P destroyed a lot of that.

You make me like charity

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by asmkm22

I got sick of the game after they went F2P.  The constant reminders of how I can buy turbine points and stuff really got to me.  I played LotRO because it was a great PvE game, and it had some really great immersion.  F2P destroyed a lot of that.

How does not having to pay for it ruin it?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

I don't know why this bother's some people.I've been playing the game since beta and I really don't even notice that there's a store.When I want something from the store I use the tp I get from vip and the one's earned in game.

To me ftp changed nothing about it being a great pve game,it's pretty easy for me to ignore the store.Much easier than a popup like EQ2 if you're not gold.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Well made Lord of the Rings MMO would be my number one for years. Turbine should be kept far away of course.
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

How does not having to pay for it ruin it?

I have no problem paying for it.  I have a lifetime sub anyway, so that's irrelevant.  What I don't like is having prompts that come up periodically after gaining TP reminding me that I can visit the store to buy stuff.  The last thing that happened which pretty much caused me to stop playing (not that alone, just the last straw) was back when they added the clothing dummies to the cities whch, when you click them, opens the store browser.  It just rubbed me the wrong way, like I was playing second life or something.

The thing is, the game itself is fairly mediocre.  I only considered it good because of the setting.  Combat always felt sluggish, and I wasn't a big fan of how you have to grind skill usage to gain traits and stuff.

You make me like charity

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

This^^ pissed me off big time!  Constant cash shop spam everywhere in the game.. Leave me alone, I'm a VIP member damn it!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Originally posted by Thenextbigthing

I agree, these forums are full of ignorant people who don't play or haven't played for years. I'm having as much fun on Laurelin, in fact more fun, than ever, with all the changes since launch. It's as good as it's ever been with enough players to make it feel vibrant on my server. I've played most mmos since UO and lotro is head and shoulders above pretty much everthing, including new crap like ToR and TSW, when it comes to RP and immersion.

Well said.

People get so focused on the mechanics and totally ignore the community.

Lotro and Darkfall have the best communities by far, look forward to spending my year in both of them.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

Originally posted by marcust

Well said.

People get so focused on the mechanics and totally ignore the community.

Lotro and Darkfall have the best communities by far, look forward to spending my year in both of them.

Darkfall has a good community?  lol, last time I logged in it was nothing but bro-speek and people insulting each others mom's.  Literally.  I thought for sure I had logged into the middle of some ironic conversation about yo mama jokes or something, but it truly was just a bunch of guys named stuff like "xxdkforuxx" and "comgetsumxxx" arguing about how elite they are.

Darkfall has the same community that any random FPS has.

You make me like charity

• CuningasCuningas Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Come on now... With Blizzard LoTRO would be all candy colours and stupid looking characters. Wow is a game for kids and/or stupid. Mindless grinding, hundreds of clones running around being rude, no decent community... Bah I say, BAH.

I've played LoTRO for about a month now and I'm just loving it. I bought Triple Expansion Pack for 20 dollars, and now only expansion I don't have is RoR. Plus I am now a Premium player, so I don't have so big restrictions that pure F2P have.

Turbine has done well changing the game's paying model. Now ppl can buy what they feel is important to get AND you can grind Turbine Points in game. So if you really don't feel about paying anything, you can grind your pompom off to get you enough TP to buy expansions. Or atleast quest packs...

I like the combat very much, different classes offer very different fight mechanics. And slower pace is good, I'm not ADHDCoD kid. And animations are just fine, eyecandy is the least important aspect of the game for me. AND I JUST LOVE MY DWARF! He is so funnylooking when running!

LoTRO is mostly a game for grownups. Community is absolutely the best I've ever heard off. VIP players (subscribers) give free stuff to low level players even without asking. They offer their help in questing or crafting. Only annoying ppl are the WoW rejects, how come to F2P game and try to ruin the fun.

WoW killed MMO community. And for that I hate WoW and cannot never forgive. Never forget, never forgive.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

It is hard to imagine another company would do better than Turbine has.  

The way they recreated Middle Earth is stunning.  The feel of it is absolutely perfect.  They do quite well at incorpoating both LOTR and The Hobbit (long before the movie was ever made) into the game as well as making their own, new storylines.  Frodo's quest is only part of the story here, and the game is so much better for being wider in scope this way.

Also this game has a surprising amount of depth.  Its not apparent at first, but the more you get into the game the more you realize that the classes here are the deepest classes since EQ1.

Some of the complaints are valid.  The cash shop is too in your face, post Moria content isnt as good.  But given the incredibly restrictive IP, Turbine has a knockout game with LOTRO.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I am happy with Lotro the way it is. Turbine wins awards with their expansions, and they beat out Blizzard to win. It's the only game that has been able to keep my attention since SWG shut down.