Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The War Z: Servers Under Attack

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The War Z's community manager has gone to the official forums to let players know that the game servers have come under attack by unknown people or groups in an attempt to shut them down. The first attack occurred three days ago, the second earlier today.

Guys over the last few days we have been under attack by various forums of malicious attempts to shut down our servers. First we were hit with an attack that would rest our DNS IP so that you could not connect. This was solved a couple days ago early in the morning but took time to actually resolve world wide once the fix went in. 

This morning we are being hit, again, with a DDOS attack on our login server. We are implementing additional counter attack solutions and how to have this resolved asap. Unfortunately with these types of attacks it is very difficult to give a good time frame of when it will be resolved.

Check out the full thread on The War Z's forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227
    Karma.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    finally some good news
  • KeltikKeltik Member UncommonPosts: 89

They'll just shut the servers down and make a new game when the next fad hits.

God I hope alien games make a come back.

• TheRingTheRing Member UncommonPosts: 11
    finally somthing good !
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I wonder if it was or is anonymous , whoever did this, I wish I could donate to their cause of shutting the god awful game and company down for good!
  • Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Its funny because no one likes this game. And this is probably the only time the entire MMORPG community doesn't argue about it.
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

False alarm people, Sergey and his band of lying thiev-... I mean, DEVELOPERS, are just trying to update the servers. Which would be considered a DDOS-attack if it concerned any other game, but I suppose that War Z is "special".

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Why are they still using the name the war z considering there is a cease and desist order. One would think they would be changing it.

Now it looks like a hacker group decided to take them out, wow interesting.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    This is just kicking someone that is already down.  Regardless of how you feel about this game, this action on them is wrong.  Sure laugh now...until it happens to a game you like and want to play.
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

if only they would give me a refund...

Good on yah people who are messing with this trash dump of a game.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    This is just kicking someone that is already down.  Regardless of how you feel about this game, this action on them is wrong.  Sure laugh now...until it happens to a game you like and want to play.

This is pretty much how I feel. Regardless of whether or not the game was ready for release or if the developers are under fire for ostensibly "misadvertising" their game, NO ONE should wish server attacks like this. Just my personal opinion.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Konner920
    Its funny because no one likes this game. And this is probably the only time the entire MMORPG community doesn't argue about it.

Ohh you'd be suprised of the slob-knobbering going on over at the official forums.  Last time I looked I there were a bunch of geeks promising their first born's to Sergie.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by heckz0r
    They liee pll . Game allrdy start to be voted as most stupid game of 2012-2013

Yhe irony... Oh god the irony.

Any way they have at least not had any real hackers visit yet. Just script-kiddies and the sort.

Maybe they should ask them if they want a job.

This have been a good conversation

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    I don't get it. Why all that hate? Don't get me wrong, I hate companies like this intensely and I am the first to celebrate if they go down. However, the only thing you get by attacking their servers is hurting any legitimate players (that haven't left yet...). If you want to to attack them, at least attack the company.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Judging from the track record of the company and devs, I wouldn't put it past them that they will use this as an excuse to shut the game down, taking the money everyone who has already paid with them.  Very convenient if that happens.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i fail to see how this is remotely amusing and that people are glad its happened..i understand that they have a problem with this Sergei guy..i really do understand.but to ruin other peoples enjoyment for whoever is playing is quite disgusting.not to mention that the guys behind the game..you know the innocent creators of the game that you dont hear of not sergei.its their jobs on the line here.i think its extremely sad that idiots think they have the right to do this.hope they find the people responsible and bang them up.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by SBFord

This is pretty much how I feel. Regardless of whether or not the game was ready for release or if the developers are under fire for ostensibly "misadvertising" their game, NO ONE should wish server attacks like this. Just my personal opinion.

Thats if we can even believe their servers really are under attack. With this group it's just as likely that they screwed something up, don't know how to fix it and have decided to avoid further bad press and lie instead. "Uh... we are under attack so this isn't our fault.". 

If it ever comes out that this were true then they'd have the "Oh you misread what we said" to fall back on lol. 

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

I tend to be skeptical of anything they say.  WARZ staff are highly untrustworthy and have a nice documented history of not telling the truth or stretching it.

On top of that their community relations has been awful, in some instances they have been outright agressive to their customers.

Besides the community managers words, which mean very little, I think it's just as likely something else is wrong and they have decided to blame it on hackers to save them some blame...

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    Best. News. Ever.
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Ginaz you make a good point! Considering how this so called "game studio" ripped tons of people off, I wouldn't put it past them.
    Originally posted by SBFord

Suzie you understate the sort of stunt they pulled.  "Misadvertising" their game is being far too generous, and since they have essentially admitted to doing such there is no need to put it in quotes.  You can say it as it is - They DID misadvertise their game.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    if these attacks prevent people from buying this PoS...more power to them.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    I would like to know the identity of the masked "hero".
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    I would like to know the identity of the masked "hero".

LoL...^^^

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Well it's supposed to be a hardcore PvP game, someone has just taken it to the next lvl thats all =).

This discussion has been closed.