Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge: Opening Cinematic Revealed

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

It's not the idea of my character or others crying or being emotional that bothers me.  Honestly, such concepts would be refreshing in a typical western atmosphere.  My problem with the style of the characters in this CGI, and likely AA as well, is that they are all styled to look 15 years old.  I'm not 15. 

I don't care what 15 year olds think, I don't care what they do, and quite frankly, I think kids are treated like the center of the universe, while they have nothing but fluff between their ears,  We give them egos the size of the moon and they look down on everyone despite knowing nothing and aspiring to nothing. 

Kids should NEVER play a meaningful role in an RPG (exception for the 1 character in the story who's an heir to protect or some sort of genius/prodigy).   Nor should adult characters LOOK like 15 year olds.  Stop worshipping them in all media forms.  We do it here in the US, just not in our roleplaying games.  Asian countries seem to be compelled to do it through all media involving animation. 

Drop the hair gel, put on a beard shadow and some lines, and leave the heroics to those with some experience and wisdom.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I don't mind asian culture in these games, but I really wish they would "toughen" up the males. The just look like they were brought up with hair brushes and caboodles instead of footballs and G.I. Joes.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Even as an American, I can see that most Americans really have gender identity issues.

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Ingvar
    What is going on in the trailer? who are the people? why are they fighting? where are they going? 

I'm not sure about the first part of the video, but the female character has been a recurring character throughout several videos. In regards to to 2 characters fighting, I assume it's the 2 different factions of the main continent fighting it out for control over areas . As for the part where a woman creates a gate for the people to go through, I've read that it's one of the goddess that sacrificed her life to save her people by sending them elsewhere (a different planet, plane, dimension, I can't remember).

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    I posted a comment about how I didn't like the way Asian males are portrayed as gay, and it got deleted. Can someone explain why? I didn't insult anyone, or use profanity, and I wasn't derogatory to gay people. I simply pointed out that Asian males are portrayed as gay. Are they NOT supposed to be seen as gay?
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by ironhelix
    I posted a comment about how I didn't like the way Asian males are portrayed as gay, and it got deleted. Can someone explain why? I didn't insult anyone, or use profanity, and I wasn't derogatory to gay people. I simply pointed out that Asian males are portrayed as gay. Are they NOT supposed to be seen as gay?

Perhaps it was the following.

Originally posted by ironhelix
    I posted a comment about how I didn't like the way Asian males are portrayed as effeminate, and it got deleted. Can someone explain why? I didn't insult anyone, or use profanity, and I wasn't derogatory to gay people. I simply pointed out that Asian males are portrayed as effeminate

Are they NOT supposed to be seen as gay?

Not necessarily. Like I told someone another time. Even though gays are less gender role compliant, it does not mean all gays are effeminate. Hence why some people might take it personally. And it isn't meant positively anyways, in our society. Effeminate man = derogatory.

• toxicmangotoxicmango Member UncommonPosts: 119

Asian ideals of what is desirable in a male hero do not necessarily match stereotypical Western conceptions of the macho muscle bound gruff manly man that overcomes through brute force and power.  In contrast, the preference is for willowy agile finesse types that have mad skills.  This concept can be seen in both anime and more traditional Chinese wuxia novels and writings.  There are also cultural/historical heroes such as Zhuge Liang that overcome through intellect and guile rather than force.  Sure there are a few "manly men" heroes as well but the field has a lot more variety.  

Just because the male characters are not the stereotypical Western hero though does not make them gay.  It is a false dichotomy to think that if it doesn't fit A then it must be B.  

• releasemereleaseme Member Posts: 8
    By the time they translate it to English I'll be long playing TESO and will say Arche what?
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    nice video. Can't wait for games to reach that level of graphics quality ingame. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

In case you guys didn't know, I'm Asian. These comments about Asian concept of a "manly man" kinda affects me in a way. Nothing written in the thread so far has offended me yet though.

The game is being developed by Asians, for Asian audiences. I guess you're experiencing some sort of culture shock, but you should know how an Asian guy like me felt when I played my first Western RPG (Neverwinter Nights). I thought the characters were ugly! The portraits, though beautifully painted, were ultimately ugly in my eyes: prominent cheekbones, hard jaw lines, too deep eye sockets. All in all the faces just look too old and rugged. These facial features are simply not common in East Asian countries. People here have softer facial features, and tend to look younger than caucasians of the same age. When I was in Germany people I met couldn't believe I'm 29 and thought I was only 18-20 years old. Even as I look around people as old as me looked like my uncle, and girls who I'd "hit on" tend to be minors (14-18).

• toxicmangotoxicmango Member UncommonPosts: 119

The only nitpicking point I have really is the fact the female character's shoes are unsuited for adventuring, and the combination of her Korean facial features (cheekbones and eyes are a giveaway) with the (presumably non-dyed) blonde hair is a weird combination.  

The closest example of the archetype of the heroes seen in the trailer I would say would be Legolas.  He fits the same theme of being thin and agile with skills that allow him to dodge blows and execute flashy martial arts-like moves.  

Anyway, I would say the ages of the characters are more in their 20's based on their looks.  People guessing them in their teens are likely underestimating their age based on comparing to white Caucasian appearances.   Caucasians are scientifically known to age faster in their looks than other ethnic groups due to susceptibility to sun damage and having looser and thinner skin.    

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Originally posted by Ingvar
    What is going on in the trailer? who are the people? why are they fighting? where are they going? 

Korean fans will know them far better because the lore has gone mostly untranslated so far, but this is the First Expeditionary Force, from the story of the same name. Some thousands of years before the game begins, they marked their names in this cavern, which the mages among them considered to be the center of the world.

The Korean lore writing has made them Obviously a Big Deal and profiled each of them, but for those of us not fluent, it all remains pretty mysterious.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Scarfe
    Originally posted by JudgeUK
    These kind of cinematics make me wish they would make a film as well as an mmo

I dunno, a film generally needs a plot.  What the hell was going on there?

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Well not sure what just happened, but I'm in!
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93

Couldn't  care less about plot / story / lore,

MMORPG's are something I play for gameplay , hoping there's little cutscenes or yanking out of the virtual world for a presss 1-2-3 conversation.

It look fun , seems like will have features I will enjoy , am all in myself.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by DeaconX
    Originally posted by Scarfe
    Originally posted by JudgeUK
    These kind of cinematics make me wish they would make a film as well as an mmo

I dunno, a film generally needs a plot.  What the hell was going on there?

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/07/23/archeage-novel-penned-by-popular-korean-fantasy-author/

I'm sure the answers are in the book... if you can read Korean... and if you can could you translate it for the rest of us? image

I hope XLGames is going to surprise the NA/EU with a localized version of AA this year... yes I know it's unlikely but really there is no purpose in hyping the game more than a few months so it could happen.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    At least I know that there is nothing to look forward to.
  • ElectricWizardElectricWizard Member Posts: 47

Archeage is a sandbox.. thats where my interest lies and thats the focus of the game...

the minute they start spoon feeding some canned rehashed fantasy plot drivel written by some mediocre hack... is the minute i quit.

couldnt care any less about this cinematic. i cared just enough to write these few sentences

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I think its safe to say that SWTOR's cinematics were some of the best ever seen and looked how that game turned out.  Cinematics do not do anything to show the game and how good it will play through out all levels of gameplay.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    I think its safe to say that SWTOR's cinematics were some of the best ever seen and looked how that game turned out.  Cinematics do not do anything to show the game and how good it will play through out all levels of gameplay.

100% agree.

Rather them spend all efforts and budget on gameplay , not voice acting or intro cinematics.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by ElectricWizard

Archeage is a sandbox.. thats where my interest lies and thats the focus of the game...

the minute they start spoon feeding some canned rehashed fantasy plot drivel written by some mediocre hack... is the minute i quit.

couldnt care any less about this cinematic. i cared just enough to write these few sentences

AA will have a lot of sandbox elements but it will also have familiar storyline elements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXYnYS8OOxE

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Looks like poopy anime

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I hate cinematics... Do people still get hype from this stuff?

More gameplay please!

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Originally posted by ElectricWizard

AA will have a lot of sandbox elements but it will also have familiar storyline elements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXYnYS8OOxE

Idk guys.. something doesnt seem right. Need some videos on other things the game offers.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"