Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

just WOW. This game has changed. I encourage those who haven't to give it another go.

Comments

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Nightverge

So I played this game in beta and I really liked it. I didn't get extremely far and left it a little while afterwards as I got kind of bored.

I recently went back to give it another go and the servers are all populated extremely well. Sith and republic sides are actually pretty even. Ship combat has improved and the game looks phenomenal. I thought GW2 would be my game of choice but it failed to capture me.

I found myself coming back to SWTOR and am extremely happy with my purchase. I recommend everyone let go of what they think to be true and give it another go.

Also all of the reports about doom and gloom are unfounded. An article was just released that there are still 1.3 million players playing the game. they only suffered a 400k loss (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/07/swtor-subscriber-base-shrinks) from 1.7 to 1.3 million. Which makes it the second largest sub game out currently (to WoW of course).

An expansion is also planned to be released shortly.

See you guys in game!

Yeah you are right, it looks 200% better then in beta.

A lot has changed to the good and the game can entertain.

Nevertheless i canceled my subscribtion a second time already.

That is, because SWTOR was always extreme in all ways.

While for me, the broken tab-targeting is a funkiller in PvP, other people may have other reasons.

And thats, why i found SWTOR always so extreme, extreme good in some points, extreme bad in others.

I dont care about sub numbers, i care about other things, my own problems with this game.

Other people just have other opinions and its fine.

At all, people who havnt played the game since some months, may have a nice experience.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I wonder if they made any improvements to the game whatsoever. Last I checked it had a great single player experiance, however it was severely lacking on its multiplayer side. The biggest turn off was how broken pvp was though, everyone had some sort of stun or cc and last i played it a couple of months ago the DR system was not working properly so you could be stunned in place for quite a while.
  • DomotoDomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82

Ok, now I don't really care what people play, in the end if it makes you happy then fine. I do however dislike when people try and claim something, that in the end isn't that true. This game has not changed all that much, some of it is alright, but at it's core it's still the same game that left a sour taste in people's mouthes.

The cash shop is a complete joke, and the F2P plan is one of the worst I have ever seen. 

EA/Bioware simply do not know how to make and run an MMO, and no matter what this game will always suffer because of this.

also, as others have stated the article is old, therefore not sure how it is relevant. 

I actually did try and log in a week ago, 90 people in fleet (empire side as well...so yeah)

If you enjoy it, that's fine, keep on playing it :D ....just please don't try and spread false information, or makes statements that aren't true

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211
    Originally posted by Domoto

Ok, now I don't really care what people play, in the end if it makes you happy then fine. I do however dislike when people try and claim something, that in the end isn't that true. This game has not changed all that much, some of it is alright, but at it's core it's still the same game that left a sour taste in people's mouthes.

The cash shop is a complete joke, and the F2P plan is one of the worst I have ever seen. 

EA/Bioware simply do not know how to make and run an MMO, and no matter what this game will always suffer because of this.

also, as others have stated the article is old, therefore not sure how it is relevant. 

I actually did try and log in a week ago, 90 people in fleet (empire side as well...so yeah)

If you enjoy it, that's fine, keep on playing it :D ....just please don't try and spread false information, or makes statements that aren't true

90 people is low? it only takes like four to make a group. Anways I just logged off and there were 326 people in fleet. so not sure. Maybe people don't stay logged on all of the time or something.

That was the last I heard about sub numbers until the above poster. Even still 500,000 players seems fine to me and it appears to be closer to 1 million. It still has more than every other MMO to date. Unless you count GW2 which doesn't have subs (but just talking population wise). 

I guess if this game is dying then every other game besides WoW is comatose. 

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

SWTOR is the same, the only things that's better now is the community is bigger and there's a group finder.

Gameplay is still same, same type of content.

I'll stick to GW2,Age of Wulin and Dota 2.

I think why I find so much enjoyment out of it is because I look at it like a living breathing KOTOR rather than an MMO. I see it as KOTOR (which the gameplay is exactly the same except you paused in KOTOR) but there are other people doing their own thing and you can contribute or not.

Thus I see it like the best RPG bioware ever made and after I 'beat' it with one character I start a different class or just make different decisions. As I would with their other games. I can pay 15 bucks a month for that as I'd pay almost 60 a month looking for new games to play.

Originally posted by InFlamestwo

SWTOR is the same, the only things that's better now is the community is bigger and there's a group finder.

Gameplay is still same, same type of content.

I'll stick to GW2,Age of Wulin and Dota 2.

Idk why but GW2 bored me. I was a huge advocate (see sig) and still like a lot of what it does. But I prefer storyline maturity and vast worlds over WvWvW and free combat. Dota 2 looks interesting but I'm not huge into MOBAs. Age of wulin?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I think why I find so much enjoyment out of it is because I look at it like a living breathing KOTOR rather than an MMO. I see it as KOTOR (which the gameplay is exactly the same except you paused in KOTOR) but there are other people doing their own thing and you can contribute or not.

Thus I see it like the best RPG bioware ever made and after I 'beat' it with one character I start a different class or just make different decisions. As I would with their other games. I can pay 15 bucks a month for that as I'd pay almost 60 a month looking for new games to play.

SWTOR is good for 4 months, so enjoy

I bought the Collectors Edition for full price, plus 2 standard copies, and 2 60 day time cards.

Now I have no more funds left and patince to run through the same series of quests again. It would have helped if every class had their own quests, like WOW/LOTRO/EQ2 etc but after the starting areas, all side quests in SWTOR are shared across the 4 classes, so you only get 2 100% unqiue 1-50 storylines, one from Republic the other on Empire . I would like to play through all 8 or 16 or 32 sceanrios but not at the expense of a monthly fee doing the same quests over and over.. The F2P after playing it as P2P is too restrictive, and not enjoyable, and can not create another character YET as they only allow 2 atm, soon will be 6 with ability to unlock more, but they have been saying that since just after F2P on Nov 15th.

I personally have more desire to play through KOTOR over and over again, which is currently on sale on steam for another 23 hours.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    my space bar told me if i ever played this game again it would kill me in my sleep.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

They went from 120 servers to 20 total overall. The article the op pointed to was not just released that was old news back in may. Rofl pointing at old fact and saying the game has changed. The only real change was free to play.

• DomotoDomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82

90 people is low? it only takes like four to make a group. Anways I just logged off and there were 326 people in fleet. so not sure. Maybe people don't stay logged on all of the time or something.

That was the last I heard about sub numbers until the above poster. Even still 500,000 players seems fine to me and it appears to be closer to 1 million. It still has more than every other MMO to date. Unless you count GW2 which doesn't have subs (but just talking population wise). 

Those numbers would be fine....if SWTOR wasn't supposed to be the cash cow it was created to be. SWTOR was not a small, niche crowd product to be released..it was a major AAA MMO that was intended to have a massive playerbase.....

This however is not what it did...if it was a smaller game then sure, it would be doingg great right now, this is not the case however

Originally posted by superniceguy

SWTOR is good for 4 months, so enjoy

I bought the Collectors Edition for full price, plus 2 standard copies, and 2 60 day time cards.

Now I have no more funds left and patince to run through the same series of quests again. It would have helped if every class had their own quests, like WOW/LOTRO/EQ2 etc but after the starting areas, all side quests in SWTOR are shared across the 4 classes, so you only get 2 100% unqiue 1-50 storylines, one from Republic the other on Empire . I would like to play through all 8 or 16 or 32 sceanrios but not at the expense of a monthly fee doing the same quests over and over.. The F2P after playing it as P2P is too restrictive, and not enjoyable, and can not create another character YET as they only allow 2 atm, soon will be 6 with ability to unlock more, but they have been saying that since just after F2P on Nov 15th.

I personally have more desire to play through KOTOR over and over again, which is currently on sale on steam for another 23 hours.

Sadly KOTORs graphics are too dated for me or else I'd buy it and two in a heart-beat. Graphics are some of the appeal to me for video games however and it often limits what I can stomach. The side quests are the same for every MMO out there. Every class does have their own quests.. just not side quests. WoW doesn't even really have what constitutes as a class story. You have a little starting area and then the story basically ends more or less. 

In every MMO you are essentially doing the same thing over and over again. I've found the most variation in TOR. 

Anyways I just basically came on to say that its definately not dead. There are tons of players online. If it weren't proftiable anymore they wouldn't be releasing an expansion. 

I will continue subscribing though until its no longer fun. It seems like people here are only satisfied with old games like star trek or EVE. Which are horrible in my OP.

I can always find groups in TOR, there isn't anyone spamming the chats. Lots of people LFG. It takes like 2 seconds to get into a flashpoint and less to find groups for heroic quests.

Idk I just don't see any reason to not have fun with the game. It all seems like great fun but w/e. Just came to say give it another go. 15 bucks a month is practically nothing. especially sense you don't pay an initial box fee, just the sub. 

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Is this a necro thread or a troll thread?

The article was just released?

1.3 million subs?

Come on OP, you can't post a thread like this on a site like this.

In fact, the subs were so low, the EA CEO hang up on the investors call when he was challenged on his "SWTOR has less than 1 million subs but over 500K." Everybody on this site knows that SWTOR needed 500K subs to stay afloat. They didn't and went F2P. They closed over 200 servers. And on and on...

THAT is what happened since the article was published.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

Those numbers would be fine....if SWTOR wasn't supposed to be the cash cow it was created to be. SWTOR was not a small, niche crowd product to be released..it was a major AAA MMO that was intended to have a massive playerbase.....

This however is not what it did...if it was a smaller game then sure, it would be doingg great right now, this is not the case however

It only take 500,000 to break even. If the game wasn't profitible EA would just shut it down and would definitely not be making an expansion for the thing.

Originally posted by NorseGod

1.3 million subs?

In fact, the subs were so low, the EA CEO hang up on the investors call when he was challenged on his "SWTOR has less than 1 million subs but over 500K." Everybody on this site knows that SWTOR needed 500K subs to stay afloat. They didn't and went F2P. They closed over 100 servers. And on and on...

it went F2P because they thought it was just a better business model, not because they felt they had to. Also there was a post above that noted it has having more than 500,000 which is more than enough for me. It has an expansion coming out for gods sake. Dying games do not release expansions. It has a small but nice population. Its not a troll thread I just don't see the game dying like others seem to claim. It looks fine and healthy to me. 

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126

It only take 500,000 to break even. If the game wasn't profitible EA would just shut it down and would definitely not be making an expansion for the thing.

lol Expansion? Okay. xD

Originally posted by JKwervo

lol Expansion? Okay. xD

Not sure what this is getting at. Yes..expansion. Scheduled in january..

Originally posted by NorseGod

1.3 million subs?

In fact, the subs were so low, the EA CEO hang up on the investors call when he was challenged on his "SWTOR has less than 1 million subs but over 500K." Everybody on this site knows that SWTOR needed 500K subs to stay afloat. They didn't and went F2P. They closed over 100 servers. And on and on...

it went F2P because they thought it was just a better business model, not because they felt they had to. Also there was a post above that noted it has having more than 500,000 which is more than enough for me. It has an expansion coming out for gods sake. Dying games do not release expansions. It has a small but nice population. Its not a troll thread I just don't see the game dying like others seem to claim. It looks fine and healthy to me. 

They HAD to. It wasn't doing well as a sub ONLY game. Which is why it took forever for them to bring out "content".

Also, one would think an actual expansion would be better than a DLC, IF their sub based payment plan worked. But it didn't. So...they had to do something to remedy that. F2P was the answer. To compete and gain back possible members. Their F2P isn't even true F2P, it's a way for them to force people to sub.

We will see the health of the game after the shiny new F2P has worn out. Until then, it's the SAME game as it launched minus a few adjustments. So no, gameplay wise, one can subjectively argue about whether it's better or not.

Stop spreading misinformation.

Disclaimer: I played until 1.2 hit. When that hit, I was gone. PvP is a joke.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

lol Expansion? Okay. xD

I'm pretty sure the expansion is coming late spring.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

lol Expansion? Okay. xD

You think it's an expansion? ROFL okay. I guess DLCs are good enough as an expansion.

Storm Legion = A REAL expansion

Mists of Pandaria = A REAL expansion

Makeb = LOL makeb

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    You still haven't told us how TOR has changed. Please do.
    Originally posted by Scalpless

It just feels like a different experience to me. Combat is tighter, there have been lots of tweaks. PvP is pretty balanced, there aren't a ton of CC abilities anymore. Space combat has recieved a lot of love in customizability and a PvP element. I play on a PvE server though so I'm unsure about world PvP but the battlegrounds are always fun.

The skill tree's make more sense.

The graphics got an update and everything looks even better.

I just think for some reason the game has gotten a bad rap and I can't figure out why. It seems great at what it does. Where does it fall flat? The combat is the best that MMO's have to offer (unless you don't like the trinity system anymore). It looks flashy and exciting. The storylines are the best MMO's have to offer. The flashpoint dungeons are actually interesting and also the best dungeons MMO's have to offer. 

Where exactly doesn't it hold up to this invisible standard of other MMOs? And what MMO does it better? Because I'd like to play that game then.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Each to his own. Unlike others I dont feel the need to be offended if someone likes a game I'm not currently playing.

Glad you've found a game you like, enjoy :-)

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88

So I played this game in beta and I really liked it. I didn't get extremely far and left it a little while afterwards as I got kind of bored.I recently went back to give it another go and the servers are all populated extremely well. Sith and republic sides are actually pretty even. Ship combat has improved and the game looks phenomenal. I thought GW2 would be my game of choice but it failed to capture me.     I found myself coming back to SWTOR and am extremely happy with my purchase. I recommend everyone let go of what they think to be true and give it another go.     Also all of the reports about doom and gloom are unfounded. An article was just released that there are still 1.3 million players playing the game. they only suffered a 400k loss (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/07/swtor-subscriber-base-shrinks) from 1.7 to 1.3 million. Which makes it the second largest sub game out currently (to WoW of course).     An expansion is also planned to be released shortly.     See you guys in game!

Player base has nothing to do with state of the game, reason mmorpgs have been a in rut for so many years is because a majority of the " player base " is noobs who enjoy this sort of lame mmo.
  • IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Scalpless

It just feels like a different experience to me. Combat is tighter, there have been lots of tweaks. PvP is pretty balanced, there aren't a ton of CC abilities anymore. Space combat has recieved a lot of love in customizability and a PvP element. I play on a PvE server though so I'm unsure about world PvP but the battlegrounds are always fun.

The skill tree's make more sense.

The graphics got an update and everything looks even better.

I just think for some reason the game has gotten a bad rap and I can't figure out why. It seems great at what it does. Where does it fall flat? The combat is the best that MMO's have to offer (unless you don't like the trinity system anymore). It looks flashy and exciting. The storylines are the best MMO's have to offer. The flashpoint dungeons are actually interesting and also the best dungeons MMO's have to offer. 

Where exactly doesn't it hold up to this invisible standard of other MMOs? And what MMO does it better? Because I'd like to play that game then.

I like how in the story lines, when you go into a building to speak with a important NPC, and say he's your general black guy, every single one of his underlings is a exact copy of a different little blackguy, no variation just clones. You can see how much thought and creativity they put into there "story lines".

3 cheers for false lore, this game just as bad as TES is going to be.

This discussion has been closed.