Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: MOBA Feature Coming in v5.2?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

UPDATE: Our own Bill Murphy reached out to Blizzard for comment on this story. This is the response we received in return:

Hey Bill!

Thanks for reaching out to us. The Public Test Realm provides our players with access to content that's currently being brainstormed, developed, and tested, oftentimes many months (or even years) before release. Many times this content never even appears in the live game. While we have exciting plans for the future of World of Warcraft Battlegrounds, we don’t have any additional details to share at this time, including if and when any new content on the PTR will become available.

A new rumor (and a credible-ish one too!) has surfaced at VG247.com that Blizzard will be introducing a MOBA-like feature with the next World of Warcraft update. Called "Defense of the Alehouse", the feature has been 'leaked'. What shows is a top-down map that seems to allow up to ten players to take part. What do you think?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Milkin everything out of the cashcow yo
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Developing and testing tech for use in Titan would be my guess.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by ichihaifu

Well to be fair, there's been a fair amount of comments over the years how stale BG pvp has become. The bigger maps like Alterac Valley tend to be a PvE race with PvP mixed in (depending on how much your team is defending). While other maps are basically just roving packs of people trading points. The two new BGs Blizzard added in MoP are boring as hell too (in my opinion). They added a payload style BG which...doesn't seem to fit, and then the hold the ball type of match, which again seems out of place.

A 3rd person MOBA style bg might be what the doctor ordered to make pvp interesting again. In many ways, that type of map seems more "lorefriendly" opposed to the other types of maps available (with the exception of the large 40 man maps). As long as players don't find ways to bypass the mechanics (aka getting past the "creep" to destroy the base in the first 30 seconds), I might be interested in pvp in WoW again.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Blizzard is doing everything ArenaNet is doing. Doesn't surprise me at all.

• GeekieDaveGeekieDave Member Posts: 41
    If people are going to complain and say that they are trying to milk everything they can out of this game, You need to rethink about where World of Warcraft actually came from. Warcraft started as a MOBA game and was a huge hit. I personally look at this new feature to be a homeage to what they were like once and where they have made it to now!

Be sure to subscribe to Worlds Edge Gaming:
    www.youtube.com/worldsedgegaming

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    See if blizzard had backed the dota devs instead of sending them running into the arms of valve......
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Kudos to them for trying something new, bringing more contents for player.

Now, please scrap dailies.....

RIP Orc Choppa

Originally posted by GeekieDave
    If people are going to complain and say that they are trying to milk everything they can out of this game, You need to rethink about where World of Warcraft actually came from. Warcraft started as a MOBA game and was a huge hit. I personally look at this new feature to be a homeage to what they were like once and where they have made it to now!

MOBA started to attract players with DOTA, not Warcraft 3.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Thats how WoW was born, not sure why you would expect it to change.

• VazarusVazarus Member Posts: 2

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I know right? A business trying to make the most profit from a very popular product they created? Crazytown.

Too bad Blizzard can't be more like all those other charitable MMO's whose developers work for free!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    All i see is trees?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by XAPGames

SOE did the very same thing with EQ2 and SOEmote so wouldn’t surprise me at all if Blizzard are using WoW as a test bed for Titan ideas. If they add something to Titan and it fails it’s a big deal but with WoW it doesn’t matter people will still play it even if it sucks.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Nitth
    All i see is trees?

-lol, thats their way of covering up their flat art content- i give them props for them trying new techniques to make the game more dimensional appealing and keeping up with the times, they do have a huge following.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by Nitth
    All i see is trees?

^

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

Warcraft was not a MOBA game lol. Term MOBA was created for the mod called Defence of the Ancients map that was created for Warcraft 3.

-

Honestly I just want from the bottom of my heart for WoW to just die off already. Its existence itself is destroying many other games that come out that try to imitate it, not that its a good thing itself, but they only try to imitate WoW because its what it is, a giant of a game that has the attention of practically everyone of this world. If it didnt exist, we would have other innovative games. Thankfully we're slowly breaking out of copy-the-wow world of gaming we're so used to seeing.

Dont get me wrong here, I loved the game for 6 long years, but now its just boring to me as I've already seen everything wow itself has to offer, but it hasnt really presented us anything new during the past couple of years. That is why I feel like it HAS to retire, so that Blizzard could make something new and maybe even better than WoW itself was.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    So Panda's, Pokemon and now League of Legends coming to WoW.
  • KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262
    God I hate mobas
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by bcbully

It's true though lol, they are doing this in direct response to Arenanet doing it lol. I do however see the funny in saying it. 

• VazarusVazarus Member Posts: 2
    10 players in a "Massively Multiplayer Online" game? Seems like we are going backwards.  There is no "War" in 10 players more like a pickup game.
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    This sounds fun though.  If they size the map correctly and setup heros like DOTA did with just 3 skills and 1 ultimate skills and add the item shops with the pathways.  Make it simple and easy for people to get into, I would really enjoy this.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    If you ask me, that is the worst thing you can add into Wow.  What is the facination with MOBA's?  Certainly does not sound very rpg like.  It will just attract more kids which is the last thing Wow needs.

Warcraft was not a MOBA game lol. Term MOBA was created for the mod called Defence of the Ancients map that was created for Warcraft 3.

This has nothing to do with ArenaNet dude, dont bring them to this topic.

-

Honestly I just want from the bottom of my heart for WoW to just die off already. Its existence itself is destroying many other games that come out that try to imitate it, not that its a good thing itself, but they only try to imitate WoW because its what it is, a giant of a game that has the attention of practically everyone of this world. If it didnt exist, we would have other innovative games. Thankfully we're slowly breaking out of copy-the-wow world of gaming we're so used to seeing.

Dont get me wrong here, I loved the game for 6 long years, but now its just boring to me as I've already seen everything wow itself has to offer, but it hasnt really presented us anything new during the past couple of years. That is why I feel like it HAS to retire, so that Blizzard could make something new and maybe even better than WoW itself was.

It has. ArenaNet brought up a MOBA gamemode to PvP a long time ago, now WoW want to try to get into e-sport aswell. Milking that cow for years now and still doing it. Icefrog should put a stop to Blizzard.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by XAPGames

OMG that would be sad- but doubtful, when i went tothe last blizzcon -they had the MOBA panel with game play and stuff..= so it seems they are goin full on with this....they should just go mobile with it at this point.