Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If this thread can't help you enjoy MMORPG's, nothing will...

xxKopogeroxxxxKopogeroxx Member UncommonPosts: 1

I see lot's of thread, but few that are actually helping the community with useful information on what's out there and what's best possible to play right now for your taste. Today we have far more MMORPG's avaliable than ever, but in same time the overall quality deteriorated on most MMORPG due to multiple reasons. Regardless, I'm still a MMORPG player and I want to know my best possible options right now.

For me personally, playing multiple free to play MMORPG's is the best option right now. I'm sure other prefer sticking to one P2P or playing nothing at the moment as well. If you are enjoying playing any MMORPG right now, your welcome to recommend it to the community and its pros and cons.

MMORPG's I prefer: Sandbox, PvP focused.

MMORPG's I'm currently playing: DCUO (that's it)

Pros: Innovative combat and great graphics. Great chr customization, casual gear progression, but skills matter far more, which means the P2W cash shop is not a threat to killing players and I'm not forced to depend on others to participate in PvP and obtain best gear. There is some raiding too. Overall, great MMORPG to PvP and not spend $ on.

Cons: Allows premades to enter into random PvP matches. Limited cash, but it's managable if you have armor to sell for repairs. PvP is pointless in the long run, but at least I get to own players.

MMORPG's I'm waiting on: Nothing particular. Not too hyped for anything atm, hope that changes though.

Copy paste above and share your current MMORPG exp, thx.

Comments

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

MMORPG's I prefer: Group oriented leveling, good end game raiding, large ammount of diverse classes and races.  Giant open world with as few instances as possible.  Good lore, not really a scripted story that my character follows but a good backround story for the setting.

MMORPG's I'm currently playing: Vanguard

Pros: It's one of the few games that has great group oriented leveling.  Huge outdoor world, really cool crafting.  I haven't even tried diplomacy yet, but I like that there is more non combat stuff to do.  Large ammount of races and very well designed classes.  Very large outdoor dungeons.  The game has essentialy been reduced to one single, active server.  This is a pro in my mind because it is active.  While the overall population is much less than most games, the population on this single server is better than some servers on much more active games. 

Cons: Well, this game has gone through some stuff that's for sure.  I won't get into the whole sigil/soe/microsoft/vista crazy production story.  It caused the game to have one of the worst launches in history.  The game has never had the greatest optimization and still runs poorly on a lot of machines.  She's starting to show her age too.  I still enjoy the graphics, but they are not for everyone.  The combat is slow compared to some other games.  There are still some bugs/glitches.

MMORPG's I'm waiting on: I'll probably try ESO.  I don't have my hopes up that it will be my kind of game, but I have had so much fun with the elder scrolls single player games that I'll give it a go with low expectations.  I am actually looking forward to neverwinter.  I know that game isn't my ideal MMO either, however, there is a small group of friends that I usually play some tabletop games with and we are going to try to play this game in a similar manor maybe once a week or so.  Now the big one, EQnext.  I am actually trying very hard not to get too excited about this game.  For one, I think it's still a ways off and also, I'm just waiting on more information about what type of game it will be.  This is a situation where I'm trying to hope for the best and expect the worst. 

This thread was a cool idea. 

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

MMORPG's I prefer: Free-roaming old school adventure PVE

MMORPG's I'm currently playing: Wizards and Champions pre-alpha

Pros:  True massively multiplayer design with public dungeons.  Unique combat consisting of aimed projectile spells, caster radiated AOE spells, and aimed melee combat with special abilities.  Skill based progression with Morrowind style trainers.  No quest hub hopping.  No XP grind... in fact, no XP at all.

Cons: Looks 2000-ish.  Low poly character art with limited character customization.  Typical "fail" micro-budget MMORPG that's not likely to ever draw a playerbase.  Grossly feature incomplete, but that's expected for a pre-alpha.  The dev is sort of a whacko, but I'm allowed to say that since he is me. image

MMORPG's I'm waiting on:  The Repopulation, ArcheAge.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by xxKopogeroxx

MMORPG's I prefer:   Carebearish Themeparks

MMORPG's I'm currently playing:  Also DCUO plus GW2 plus TSW plus Tor plus WoT plus...

Pros:   Free and I have a great spread among several subgenre's so im never for want of something to play

Cons:   I spend tons of money in the Cash shops  :)

MMORPG's I'm waiting on:  All of them...Maybe some will get added to my current rotation..maybe not..but IM gonna give them ALL an honest try..excpet of Darkfall 2..no point since I know I suck at PVP  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

MMORPG's I prefer: Sandbox, Sandpark, MMOs with challenging content (PvE or PvP).

MMORPG's I'm currently playing: Mabinogi

Pros: The combat is more or less unique in the MMORPG genre, and has you use your head a little bit. PvE can be pretty challenging at time and rather unforgiving. Armors are mostly used for cosmetic purposes. Almost every item is craftable (almost). Players have their own private space.

Cons: Although there is PvP, the PvP is rather mediocre  if not flat out terrible. It is wise to spend at least $20-30 once in the cash shop as pets do offer an advantage. It can be hard sometimes to find some assisstance for certain quests requiring a party of 2 or more player due to the lack of incentive to help. Graphics aren't exactly the most attractive visually.

MMORPG's I'm waiting on: ArcheAge, Defiance, FFXIV ARR (and more).

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

MMORPG's I prefer: Hybrid Themepark/Sandbox

MMORPG's I'm currently playing: None right now. Although I am playing single player TES RPG's.

Pros: Morrowind. I don't think I need to say more.

Cons: Hmmm well, they aren't MMO's so I guess that's the con for them.

MMORPG's I'm waiting on: ESO. Keeping an eye on The repopulation, Neverwinter and EQ Next.

MMORPG's I'm NOT waiting on: I think Archeage is being over-hyped. I expect it to be an Asian grindfest with sandbox elements (like Aion). Age of Wushu is too PvP oriented for me, so not interested in that one either, although I think it may be good for those who do enjoy PvP.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

MMORPG's I prefer: Sandbox, PvP focused.

MMORPG's I'm currently playing: Tera Online, subbed to WoW still.

Pros:Tera online offers me great graphics, a pretty good server population, enjoyable world pvp, great combat mechanics, active economy. It's not ideal and I am not in love with it, but I shall be playing it semi-active until something better comes along. I stay subbed to WoW because it's a fall back of mine. Tera is also a massive skill test, if anyone says otherwise it's because they can't kill BAMs (elites) or run dungeons or pvp.

Cons:No full loot, or even semi loot, the game is poised to go free to play, or the feeling is there and the global talks quite actively about it. However there cash shop is already quite full of things and I imagine they make quite a bit off it. The pvp at end game is laced with 1 shot kills from some classes, which is NEVER a good thing.

MMORPG's I'm waiting on: Archeage, EQnext, World of Darkness.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

MMORPG's I prefer: carebear sandbox, brutal PVP

MMORPG's I'm currently playing: DFUW, EVE, Wizardry Online

DFUW

Pros:  Great if you are already in a PvP guild. Fun war machines for land and sea.

Cons: Clunky as all hell.

EVE Online

Pros:  Lots of career paths, including many non-combat paths ( http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/ ). Healthy player population. Free expansions.

Cons: Can be overwhelming to new players.

Wizardry Online

Pros:  FFA PvP. Great community.

Cons: FFA PVP. Dated graphics.

MMORPG's I'm waiting on:  The Repopulation, Pathfinder Online, World of Darkness Online

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

The title of this OP tells me that it may become valid information on differnet mmorpg. But It seems to be all based on personal preferences of what folks like or are waiting for.

Maybe after describing the type of gameplay you like writing down what games you think best match your choices.

Then if I read a like-minded post I can see if there are games I have not yet tried.

P.S

Not a troll.

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

MMORPG's I prefer: I'll play anything that I find entertaining, and as hipster as it is to say...I enjoy sandbox elements to a MMORPG.

MMORPG's I'm currently playing: Dayz, Planetside 2 (just started)

Pros:

Dayz; been playing it since day 1, it is quite the amazing little mod. Lots of adrenaline type moments I have with this game. Sandboxish, and while not quite an MMO, it has a lot of things I feel MMOs are missing today. Massive world, would take you a long time to run from one side to another (so find a vehicle if you can ;) ). The "PVP" or simply staying alive in this game is addictive, and while it does become a bit of shoot on sight at times...it's always fun running into other players. I recommend playing this with friends. I think I've introduced this game to about 5-10 people now who still all play it to some degree.

Planetside 2; As I said, just started it, but I can tell you that the graphics are amazing in this game, stunning even. The grand scale of things gives an experience very little other games do. You would have to be a fan of FPS however, which I am (albeit, a lesser extent than most.) Crazy amount of weapons, vehicles etc. You can play totally free...see more in cons about this. ;)

Cons:

Dayz,; well...#1 the biggest issue with this game is the hacking. The way the Arma engine works is that it's incredibly trusting and allows scripts to be injected into the game. Teleporting, nuking servers, and the worst in my opinion (as it generally can remain undetectable) is ESP or simply knowing where other players are. It can really ruin the game, I've even had friends who have decided they are going to hack as they cannot stand how many hackers there now are. Ruins the game...though this is supposed to be resolved in the standalone. #2 The bugs, there are a plethora of bugs in this beta/mod...too many to mention. #3 Very clunky UI.

Planetside 2; I'm having trouble really getting into this game simply because it seems to be a lot of information that I'm expected to know as a new player. Most of the time I'm just running around trying kill or help take a "point". Though, in reality I know little as to what bases give what or what the real flow of the game is. I never played the first Planetside so I feel I'm a bit at a disadvantage. I feel a bit like a chicken running around with it's head cutoff in this game. I've watched a few videos, and while they explain the basics of using guns/items (which, is kind of common sense) they all seem to forget it's a massive map and a little daunting to new players. This game also seems like you need a squad, which I do not have. As for it being free, it's actually pretty reasonable, but buying guns or anything in this game costs a ton...and I'm starting to feel if I don't invest heavy funds into this game, I'll likely be stuck with the very basics for a very long time.

MMORPG's I'm waiting on: Archeage for sure, and the standalone for Dayz. Though, let's be honest, if anything good comes out I'll try it. Heck, I may even try the Final Fantasy Reborn XIV. Also Star Citizen looks quite neat, was a huge fan of Wing Commander when I was younger.

I'm going to add a criteria here that wasn't in the OP....

MMORPG's I've considered getting into recently:

Age of Wushu (seems to be a polarizing experience from everything I've heard about it)

Vanguard (used to play it some, always enjoyed it, may get back into it)

DFUW

GW2 (I may give this another shot, it really didn't hook me like it did everyone else though)

P.S I also find this thread title a bit deceiving, I was not expecting this thread to include what it does.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I was expecting a group therapy thread.  Maybe a few Rorschach inkblots.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390

MMORPG's I prefer: Hybrid Sandbox/Themepark, leaning toward the Sandbox.  Genre agnostic with a slight bias toward fantasy.

MMORPG's I'm currently playing: GW2.  TSW.  Will probably try Vanguard soon.

Pros:

(Both) I already paid for it so I might as well play until something better comes along.  Runs on my laptop.  No subscription fees and the cash shop is avoidable.

(GW2) Good combat, pretty graphics, actiony.  Better ARPG than Diablo 3.

(TSW) Love the setting; lots of fun if I pretend it's an Adventure/RPG hybrid and not an MMO.

Cons:

(Both) Not much of a community, no persistance.  They would've worked better as single-player RPGs with a multiplayer option.

MMORPG's I'm waiting on:

Pathfinder Online: pretty much my ideal game if it actually launches and makes good on what the developer is promising.  Crossing my fingers on this one. 

Neverwinter: it's free and my wife wants to play it.  The user-created content could be interesting.  Bioware is not involved.

Star Citizen: Not an MMO, but still looks awesome.  The closest thing on the horizon to EVE with in-cockpit controls.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

MMORPG's I prefer: Games built to a standard that's gone. That includes customer service, staff involvement, roleplaying. and several other things that corporations find to be Unprofitable and not favorable to Massiveness.

MMORPG's I'm currently playing: Well, Pirate101 actually. 

Pros - Light-hearted, not too involved.

Cons - See Pros.  I play it for light escapism, not expecting it to last long.

Also catching up on backlog of SP games (XCom and Borderlands2 most recently).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by dave6660

I was expecting a group therapy thread.

It is group therapy.  *chuckles*  In a way, the whole site is.

Altaholics Anonymous :-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

MMORPGs I prefer: Sandbox / themepark hybrid fantasy MMORPG

MMORPG's I'm currently playing: WoW

Pros: Massive continent, day/night cycle, tons of professions , different starting area, mini games, mounts ,pets, skill tress, AH, no ks, no full loot pvp, addons, skills rotations etc....

Cons: Dailies, raid-or-die, should have implement something like PQ or DE

MMORPG's I'm waiting for: Titans, hopefully something good, non facebook type p2p game ...

RIP Orc Choppa