Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: New WvW Maps Incoming?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a snippet in a longer thread about World vs World in Guild Wars 2, Colin Johanson let slip that the team is working on new maps. While not much else was said, the quote raises hopes that the team will make significant improvements to the feature.

It’s worth noting, while they said we’re not working on new versions of the home maps currently, they didn’t say anything about new maps in general…..

Also I’ll throw out that the work our WvW guys are doing on culling and progression systems are extremely large, these are feature systems unto themselves. For example a lot of the culling work requires re-building almost entirely the way our game compiles, loads, and handles assets in general. For many companies, this task could literally years, we’re trying to pull it off in a matter of months, these guys are rock stars.

I know some of you got the impression there isn’t much development going on here, but I was to clarify you couldn’t be more wrong. There is a boat load of very serious WvW being done, much of it they discussed in this interview. Major features require many month long projects, our hope is you’ll start seeing the major fruits of those labors starting in our February update.

You’ll hear more details from our WvW team once stuff gets closer to finalized and tested, but we think you’re going to be thrilled with the stuff that’s coming. As an old DAoC fan, I’m freaking stoked about what these guys are doing.

Check out the thread on the Guild Wars 2 forum.

Source: GameBreaker.tv

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• janjanahmetjanjanahmet Member CommonPosts: 7
    Good
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    They've made claims like this before and it turned out to be minor changes no one even batted an eyelid at. Remember Jon Peters discussing the 'major' ranger fixes that turned out to be a bunch of tooltip changes? Yeah... ANet are becoming the new Smedley of the MMO world, I just feel sorry for the likes of Colin who are being made to chat BS by NCSoft.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    New maps wont be enough. They need to make WvW matter so there is a drive to capture and hold control points. PS 2 has the same issue and so did WAR so maybe it is an inherent flaw in ThemePark PvP.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

thats major considering how huge wvw is now. although i agree with what the above guy said= these maps already have so much todo in em  that its already a themepark if you control the zone.

unlike the others games he mentioned, so there is a difference- if you are just playing GW2 for pvp porpuses i can see how your limited. but if you play pve n pvp the wvwv is just as huge or if not more challenging than the pve world in GW2.

ive seen alot of these comments coming from hardcore pvp players as they have basically explored all there is in wvw- and vice versa with pve players= now i mean players that have tons of time to play 24/7, unlike the majority.

but bottom line- both worlds in GW2 pvp and wvw are much bigger than any other mmo ive come across=even witht heir yearly expansions.

so new wvw content coming from Anet is huge.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024
    Any new maps would make me log in and play more.  Personally, I'd like to see three different borderlands.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by SoulSurfer
    Any new maps would make me log in and play more.  Personally, I'd like to see three different borderlands.

+1

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    PvP is supposed to foster a sense of communitiy in a multiplayer game, the system they have in Guild Wars 2 doesn't do that. In fact, it does the OPPOSITE of that. Souless, meaningless PvP is boring. You don't even know who your opponents are, and you wouldn't care anyway, because they swap servers constantly. Boring.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Personally, I miss battles inbetween capture points. I would like to see more progression in battles and battles to occur much more often outside of siege battles. I already posted two threads on the official forums about this, but one thing that is missing are sandbox elements. Give the players the tools to create vehicles and give commanders a proper meaning. Be inspired by the likes of BF, Natural Selection etc.

Currently WvW is shallow and rewards only exploiting tactics (culling says hi) and boring approaches to victory. Capture points are not enough.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    He had me at "progression systems".  That's all I've been asking for to make this game blow me away and bring me back in.   Can't wait.
  • skorner64skorner64 Member Posts: 47
    If they could somehow manke capturing the keeps and holding them actually mean something to the team/server that takes it other than bragging rights....I'd probably go back very fast.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I'm curious how these new maps would work.  Are they going to be added on top of the old WvW maps?  If so, I'm not sure that's a good idea as even on the Tier 1 servers in NA (I'm on SoS) we have trouble fielding more than EB and a Borderland maps at once, much less all 3 Borderlands maps.  Constantly seeing outmanned from two teams on one Borderland and map hopping has become a bit of a strategy for some of the bigger zergs.

Adding another map would cause people to play again for a few weeks or so, but once that dies out again you'll have just another map to worry about coverage on that you simply don't have.  I can imagine servers that are lower tier with much smaller WvW populations have it much worse than we do in Tier 1 too.

What I would love to see is 4 (or less) new maps added that rotate each week along with the original EB + Borderlands setup so the gameplay is kept somewhat fresh each week with a change in objectives and strategy.  Probably not the case here.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by orbitxo

thats major considering how huge wvw is now. although i agree with what the above guy said= these maps already have so much todo in em  that its already a themepark if you control the zone.

unlike the others games he mentioned, so there is a difference- if you are just playing GW2 for pvp porpuses i can see how your limited. but if you play pve n pvp the wvwv is just as huge or if not more challenging than the pve world in GW2.

ive seen alot of these comments coming from hardcore pvp players as they have basically explored all there is in wvw- and vice versa with pve players= now i mean players that have tons of time to play 24/7, unlike the majority.

but bottom line- both worlds in GW2 pvp and wvw are much bigger than any other mmo ive come across=even witht heir yearly expansions.

so new wvw content coming from Anet is huge.

clearly, you didnt play warhammer, GW2 PvE and PvP maps are a joke compared with how huge the war maps are. If you want to make a comparision, the WvWvW area on GW2 could be like half of the T1 RvR maps on warhammer, thats not ¨huge¨.  

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by hikaru77

clearly, you didnt play warhammer, GW2 PvE and PvP maps are a joke compared with how huge the war maps are. If you want to make a comparision, the WvWvW area on GW2 could be like half of the T1 RvR maps on warhammer, thats not ¨huge¨.  

As someone who played Warhammer Online, I have no idea what you are talking about.  GW2's map are much larger than Warhammer's, at least the PvP areas.  The map as a whole might have been larger, but generally at least 50% of the T1 RvR maps were dedicated to PvE and the actual PvP zones were much smaller than GW2's WvW maps.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Magnum2103
    Originally posted by hikaru77

As someone who played Warhammer Online, I have no idea what you are talking about.  GW2's map are much larger than Warhammer's, at least the PvP areas.  The map as a whole might have been larger, but generally at least 50% of the T1 RvR maps were dedicated to PvE and the actual PvP zones were much smaller than GW2's WvW maps.

No and I was talking about landmass, all the T1 RvR maps have the size of GW2 WvW, let be more generous and let just say T1 and T2. Only T4 on warhammer have 9 zones, Thats 18 castles or keeps and 27 Objetives, then 6 more zones with the 6 fortress and the City siege instances, and while in GW2 u can just run from one point to another in warhammer you need a Hourse even when the run speed (without a mount) from the characters on warhammer is faster than GW2. 

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Actually I do not care ... I do not pvp, just altholic and pve. And in this sense I'm having a blast. :-)
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    I stopped messing with WvW due to the culling. Glad they are working on it. 
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    GW2's WvWvW was a step in the right direction, but alas no where near ideal for open-world pvp. Until there is more incentive to play in general, ranks, gear(visual), stats( i.e: server ranking with actual rewards), etc. casual pvp is just too casual. Let's hope ESO's 3-faction pvp is an even further improvement.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Rivalry in pvp

E.g. show player names, stop server transfers, have a log of who killed you, save swapping WvW servers around for emergencies only.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Wrong, and over sensationalized.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by ironhelix
    PvP is supposed to foster a sense of communitiy in a multiplayer game, the system they have in Guild Wars 2 doesn't do that. In fact, it does the OPPOSITE of that. Souless, meaningless PvP is boring. You don't even know who your opponents are, and you wouldn't care anyway, because they swap servers constantly. Boring.

So that means PvP was boring and meaningless in DaoC, WoW and any other game where the factions could not communicate and/or play together...sorry but you are wrong.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo glad I have been part of a strong long lasting guild of people that actually know each other and enjoy playing...together. Guess thats why we love GW2 WvW as much as we liked playing together in every major game since UO.

Being in a great guild makes most games far better than those that fly solo or jump from guild to guild in each new game.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• demonboxdemonbox Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by ironhelix

So that means PvP was boring and meaningless in DaoC, WoW and any other game where the factions could not communicate and/or play together...sorry but you are wrong.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo glad I have been part of a strong long lasting guild of people that actually know each other and enjoy playing...together. Guess thats why we love GW2 WvW as much as we liked playing together in every major game since UO.

Being in a great guild makes most games far better than those that fly solo or jump from guild to guild in each new game.

Guess he's sayin something different, like:

all you see r random guys with "XXX Invader/defender [YYY]", i don't miss (too much) the smacktalk, thou i miss to know the name of my enemy, the one i kill and one who kills me (and no the name of the guild ain't enough, for me), then there's the other issue, a lot of ppl change servers constantly or randomly, you don't just need a nice guild to be in (as an MMO named Guild Wars, being forced to turn on a commander badge to have groups bigger than 5 is a shame tbh), you need some enemy with a "face", someone you can despise,making fun of, admire or anything else...