Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Then and now

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Years ago mmos were mmos, now we have hybrids.

It's kind of like this :

Some people like trucks only, some like cars only, some like a mixture of both.  Lets say all three are equal ( split three ways).  To each their own.  However developers are only giving us a mixture of both.  No more trucks for the people that like trucks.  We still have cars ( single player games ) But no good solid trucks.

MMOs that are hybrids should be called something else. I don't know what, just something else, I don't care just not mmo's.

I lost a little respect for mmorpg.com, It's a site that fooled me thinking that it was a little more than a bitching site.  A site were we may make some kind of difference.  I'm playing the last mmo that is still an mmo, but mmorpg would ban me if I talk about it in any way, because it's not on there list of paid sponsors.

Anyway maybe SOE's EQ Next, or Blizzards new mmo will be a real mmo, like a good solid truck !

Comments

• evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171
    Most mmos can now be redefined as online single player games.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by evemaster00

... with embedded multiplayer mini-games.

Yeah, I agree.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281

I think the metaphor confused things a little. 

I won't use the words sandbox and themepark because it will just create a pointless debate I have read too many times to care about anymore.  But I assume your car/ truck hybrid (a van) is the current trend towards online single player games, eg. SWTOR.   

I think MMORPG.com has a lot of disilusioned mmo players who a) do not like the current trends b) are just burnt out on the genre or c) have grown out of the genre.   But it is nice to have a place to maon. 

What mmo are you not allowed to talk about?  Are you sure about this?

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by evemaster00

Agree as well.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    We don't discuss moderation in mmorpg.com.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    You do realise that you can still play UO and EQ and Daoc right?
  • laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    ya but if they make another terminology, the true mmorpg players wont' have a forum to complain.  Since this site won't exist and they still don't have any games to play.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Another thread to rant about categorization?

"MMORPG" is just a convenient label for a group of games. Genre changes. Label changes. Personally i don't play games because just because it is under some categorization. So it is all just semantics, and to me, not important at all.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

"MMORPG" is just a convenient label for a group of games. Genre changes. Label changes. Personally i don't play games because just because it is under some categorization. So it is all just semantics, and to me, not important at all.

Another?!?!?  There are others?  Isnt there anything new to complain about.....

...ooo i got one.....this site uses too much blue...there must be some conspiracy behind it...I think we all should delve into it  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    There are still MMORPGs that fit the acronym but the newest batch of games have trended towards the MORPG area. You really can't blame companies for trying, they thought that's where the money was. They were wrong lol. Oh, there are a lot more players... just not the same % of payers within those players.

The future looks bright since the last wave of games, minus GW2, kind of had thier teeth kicked in. Making games fun for casual players was a great thing. It's brought many more people into the fold and is keeping companies making MMOs. What is happening now is the realization that the "boiling down" went too far. I think you will see MMOs released in the next few years that will pander to both core MMORPGers and casual MORPGers.

Lastly the labels serve to describe what you are taking about. The term "MMORPG" is not subjective, it describes exactly what it is. Grouping games not fitting the term for the purposes of matrices and financial reports does not change the term.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Another?!?!?  There are others?  Isnt there anything new to complain about.....

...ooo i got one.....this site uses too much blue...there must be some conspiracy behind it...I think we all should delve into it  :)

Aren't we sarcastic today?