Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I decided to try out LOTRO the other day but why must I download 16.9GB of data when the game is hig

I have a wireless internet connection with a monthly limit of 20GB though I can buy extra in 1GB and 10GB increments but why am I forced to download all of the content when I don't have access to it?

Not a smart move by Turbine and needless to say I quickly cancelled my download of the game.

I hope that Turbine wise up in the near future and only prompts to download the content that the free player has access to and not all the friggin 16.9GB.

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i,m lost..you should be d/loading the full game at once..it might take a few restarts but it should all install at once really
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by kevjards
    i,m lost..you should be d/loading the full game at once..it might take a few restarts but it should all install at once really

the OP is angry that  s/he have to download the full game to do the free trial stuff...

But if i am not completley wrong i think  you can do pretty much all of the original game as a free player so you would have  amassive download any way.

As for the reason, weill it is simple. The idea is that you will like the game and become a member and they do not want you to have to sit and wait for a few hours once you do the lead.

It is pretty simple.

This have been a good conversation

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

It's my understanding that FTP players have full access to the main quest. Which means you have access to the whole of Middle Earth, you can go anywhere. Quests within certain areas you haven't paid for are locked out.

I'm guessing it's the same for expansions. You have access to the main quest within the new areas, just not the side quests.

So how would you cut the download size down when a huge chunck is on textures?

I'm in the same boat as you. However I only get 15Gig a month. If I need to download huge files I'll pop round to my folks, download and bang it on to a Flash Drive.

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    It's turbines fault your internet supplier sucks?
  • DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by tawess

the OP is angry that  s/he have to download the full game to do the free trial stuff...

But if i am not completley wrong i think  you can do pretty much all of the original game as a free player so you would have  amassive download any way.

As for the reason, weill it is simple. The idea is that you will like the game and become a member and they do not want you to have to sit and wait for a few hours once you do the lead.

It is pretty simple.

Well it's stupid to be forced to download the entire content at once when you could download the expansion content when you have access to it as many people like me has a limit on how much data they can download each month.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Time to change ISPs then.

Check out Clear, they have not only an unlimited service nor a contract.   You pay monthly and can quit whenever with no additional fees.  They have a service map on their website, so check and see if they cover your area.  I used them for several month with their portable hub for my tablet and the speeds were incredible. 

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Because you can play the whole game minus expansions free.
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Why do I have to download the expansions when they are not available to me as a free player?

This is my whole point of this thread... I don't want to be forced to download tons of content that is locked out from me.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by DancingQueen

Why do I have to download the expansions when they are not available to me as a free player?

This is my whole point of this thread... I don't want to be forced to download tons of content that is locked out from me.

You can still play through the main storyline in every zone of every expansion for free, whats locked out are the quests in each region.  You have to purchase those separately, or you can just grind on mobs and never do quests and still lvl from 1 to 75 for free, but that will take a very long time!

Or before the Steam sale is over on the 5th, purchase the LOTRO triple pack for $19.99, and the Riders of Rohan Heroic Edition for $24.99 and you'll have every quest unlocked throughout the entire game until the next expansion...

• keirionkeirion Member UncommonPosts: 51

Because a free player has access to the entire game world is why. There is nowhere you cannot go. The only restrictions are that you have to be a certain level to access Moria and therefore Rohan, and that you're likely to be killed if you were to say try to get to Isengard as a level 5 character.

At one point Turbine was working with Gaikai to let certain random people who signed up play on Gaikai for an hour or something so you could try playing without waiting for a download but I think Gaikai got purchased since then and I don't know that they're still doing that.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342

Because you can access all the content areas event if it's locked.  They don't block any of the main story line so say for instance if you don't have Moria, you can still go there and do the main quest line.  Plus it's not Turbine's fault you have such a small data cap.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by keirion

Because a free player has access to the entire game world is why. There is nowhere you cannot go. The only restrictions are that you have to be a certain level to access Moria and therefore Rohan, and that you're likely to be killed if you were to say try to get to Isengard as a level 5 character.

This. With your f2p account you can play the whole game - true with restrictions, but the whole content is accessible.

I think it's working the same with most mmo's, the client always contains the whole game and when you buy expansions you only get an unlock to that particular content, but it's already on your disk.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by JerYnkFan

Because you can access all the content areas event if it's locked.  They don't block any of the main story line so say for instance if you don't have Moria, you can still go there and do the main quest line.  Plus it's not Turbine's fault you have such a small data cap.

You can't exactly level just from the story quests though.  But it is true that you can travel the world even if the quests are locked.  It is a heavy download for a person just to try out the game though.  They could come up with something better, they just don't have teh manpower, money or desire to do so.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Let me get this straight, your complaining because your getting too much game for free?

You'd rather Turbine didn't allow you to play through and hunt in all zone (even expansions) for free?

The entitlement mentality of the F2P player never stops amazing me.  However I do know these are hard times, and my heart goes out to you.Seriously never hope I become so hard up i can't even afford to pay my ISP for F2P games.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by winter

Let me get this straight, your complaining because your getting too much game for free?

You'd rather Turbine didn't allow you to play through and hunt in all zone (even expansions) for free?

The entitlement mentality of the F2P player never stops amazing me.  However I do know these are hard times, and my heart goes out to you.Seriously never hope I become so hard up i can't even afford to pay my ISP for F2P games.

or they didnt know they could do that and thought they were downloading massive areas they couldnt access, depending on your reading comprehension.  no points off for trying though winter

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

I have a wireless internet connection with a monthly limit of 20GB though I can buy extra in 1GB and 10GB increments but why am I forced to download all of the content when I don't have access to it?

Not a smart move by Turbine and needless to say I quickly cancelled my download of the game.

I hope that Turbine wise up in the near future and only prompts to download the content that the free player has access to and not all the friggin 16.9GB.

Even though the game is restricted to free players you can earn tp buy completed deeds and quest so you can earn enough point to buy quest packs and so forth. if you have the time and the patience then the game is basically free. But its really worth becoming a vip memeber cause you pay three months in advance and you get a monthly allowance of tp points. Turbine does it right !!!!!!!!

Edgar F Greenwood

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

because otherwise you would be here whining instead why do you have to download more data everytime you buy some new area? (yes i know he can go anywhere without buying anything, i just thing that stupid question needs equally stupid response :) )

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Benedikt

because otherwise you would be here whining instead why do you have to download more data everytime you buy some new area? (yes i know he can go anywhere without buying anything, i just thing that stupid question needs equally stupid response :) )

considering such purchases and downloads could then be spread out and would probably help i think you only got the "stupid response" part right

I complain that it's too much to download just to try out the game.

Many ISPs have put in restrictions on how much data that you can download each month and Turbine and other MMORPG companies needs to understand this and act accordingly.

They could have done it like SOE does it with EQ2 that has the option of a minimal client that downloads more data when you need it.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Many ISPs have put in restrictions on how much data that you can download each month and Turbine and other MMORPG companies needs to understand this and act accordingly.

They could have done it like SOE does it with EQ2 that has the option of a minimal client that downloads more data when you need it.

Your ISP is trash.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by tawess

It is pretty simple.

The OP is just silly, you can ride/walk once you leave the starter human/hobbit area all the way to rivendel and ALMOST to the entrance of the mines of moria (elves and dwarves for some reason are behind a portal/wall, not part of the large "human" seamless world). Nothing will stop you if you stick to the roads and don't stop to admire the wildlife.

Also, even if you remain the starter area, you can encounter any player in the game with any armour equipped, so all those textures and models got to be available (it is one of the reasons Consoles have difficulty with MMO's, you can't streamline model/texture loading (notice how in GTA games, once you steal car model X, that model is seen a LOT more on the roads, the console can't handle ALL the avaiable car models being on the road at once).

A few MMO's in the past have done the dynamic loading, so you can start playing before it finished downloading but it is a pain in the ass to develop and Lotro was designed as a boxed game so you would install from CD.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I'm confused.  I thought they only limit download amounts in third world countries?

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222
    Unfortunately, in terms of public utilities and things like internet, the US is basically a 3rd world country in many, many places.

But anyway, the problem is that there is only one game. The expansions are not separate areas, they are still part of the game, your account just doesn't have access to the quests and such.

You want to go through Moria to Mirkwood without the expansions? You can, you just can't do any quests there.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by sfc1971

A few MMO's in the past have done the dynamic loading, so you can start playing before it finished downloading but it is a pain in the ass to develop and Lotro was designed as a boxed game so you would install from CD.

True, but it wouldn't help OP either, since those games are build the same way. (I think Cryptic's CO and STO working like that for example). I mean, even in those games OP would have to download the whole game, only right after the first 3Gb she could enter the game and start to play, while the game continues the download in the background. So considering the transferred Gb's it's the same. (Except if she finds the game weak, and uninstalls it right after the starter area :) )

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Your ISP is trash.

Many people don't have much choice.  Comcast is the only cable provider where I livebut I've never had a problem with their 250 gig cap except when I was watching tons of shows on netflix.