Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I feel like I should be amazed but I'm not

ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
I'm not sure whether I'm not playing it right or whether I'm just not cut out for this sort of game but I started playing it and realized its an insanely well made game which I played for about 3 days and loved but as time grew on i found I was just doing the same thing (fighting the other teams people and making our area as much as possible) over and over, there didn't seem to be any depth or variation. However from the way people speak about it and the way it is designed I really feel like I shouldn't be thinking about it this way but I am. Does anybody feel like this after playing ps2? Or is there some fundamental part of the game that im missing or what?

Comments

• BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72
    It's one of the worst disappointments of the year, tbh. I thought I was going to love it. Played for maybe three hours total.
  • ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    I don't wanna sound like a troll or someone just bashing a game but, I just don't get it as a long term game. I just don't see how I can have fun doing the same thing over and over again the way it's set up. IS there an extra level of depth that I've completely missed or is it really how I found it?
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Shooters aren't widely known for having much depth.  I think it could be described as casual friendly action entertainment with lots of eye candy.  At least that's what I'm hearing.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

There are people who can spend 100's of hours in a small set of multi-player maps in games like Call of Duty, Counter Strike, etc... Including myself. Compared to the other popular shooters with multi-player capabilites, Planetside 2 is as deep as the deepest ocean.

Don't confuse mmoRPG with mmoFPS.

I think it's a great game. I'm still having fun with it after a few weeks.

Originally posted by XAPGames

Shooters aren't widely known for having much depth.  I think it could be described as casual friendly action entertainment with lots of eye candy.  At least that's what I'm hearing.

I don't know about casual-friendly. There is no tutorial, you just get droped in the middle of a battle straight away. And when you do, you will get your shit handed to you. A "casual" could easily be demoralized by that. Then you have to figure out how everything works while getting killed repeatedly, until you learn how to return the favor.

• ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by ereyethirn
    I don't wanna sound like a troll or someone just bashing a game but, I just don't get it as a long term game. I just don't see how I can have fun doing the same thing over and over again the way it's set up. IS there an extra level of depth that I've completely missed or is it really how I found it?

The tactical depth and skill challenge is, in my view, far better than most mmo's and what's keeps me going.

"...doing the same thing over and over again" 

Seriously, this is a mmo after all. 

When in doubt, troll.

• mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119

The same here. Very dissapointed with this game. I stopped playing it after just few hours. I'm back to BF3 which is more fun for me than PS2.

• eosyneeosyne Member UncommonPosts: 392
    you need to get into a big guild that uses structure and teamspeak otherwise yeah i can see it get boring quick.

Originally posted by mWo4life

The same here. Very dissapointed with this game. I stopped playing it after just few hours. I'm back to BF3 which is more fun for me than PS2.

That's probably the game's biggest flaw. It takes more then "just a few hours" to get in to it and understand the beauty of it. Only after 20-or-so hours to you start to get climatized. If you make it over the newbie barrier it can really start to grown on you. I too loged out quite fast my first time around. But i came back later because i thought there had to be something there i missed. I stuck with it, and sure enough, there was something there. In retrospect i enjoyed the whole thing. Even though annoying at first, it was a bit refreshing to be throw in to a hostile, unkown environment like a total noob, and then slowly work your way up. It has been a real rewarding experience.

Some newbie tips:

• Follow a zerg and try to watch what's going on.
    • Don't worry so much about dying or your K/D ratio.
    • Find your favorite class/viechle, then spend a few $ on new weapons.
    • Cert points are slow at first, and some upgrades seem unreachable. But as you learn they will start to stack up.
    • If you don't know where to go, find a Sunderer-driver and tag along. Wherever there is a deployed sunderer, there is an assault going on (mostly).
    • When your base is being overrun you will eventually be spawn-camped until the base is theirs. Just spawn somewhere else and start working on a new objective.
    • Watch the daily/weekend discounts on weapons for faster upgrades.
    • Use your warpgate spawn-point to change continent if you get borde with the on you are on. There's a terminal there for that.
  • ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    I must admit that character creation (or lack thereof) kind of killed it for me before I even got into the game; and once in game what remained of my interest quickly evaporated.  Haven't uninstalled it yet and I do intend to give it a proper try.   

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by timtrack

I don't know about casual-friendly. There is no tutorial [...]

Bad choice of words on my part.  I was thinking along the lines of people who play shorter duration (jump on, play for a while, jump off).  Opposite of which would be a game with longer duration requirements (raid for 4 hours for example).

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AnskierAnskier Member UncommonPosts: 59

I enjoyed PS1 so I've been playing this for the last couple of weeks, but it's already gotten pretty boring.

TBH I don't think I would have played this long if it didn't sell itself as a sequel to PS1, wanted to give it a chance but it has a massive number of problems ranging from balance, design, stabilitly, and hacking.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

It takes a bit of work to figure things out.  The tools are all in the game (maps, various toggles... lots of modes of quick transport) - they just haven't bothered to really explain what's going on

You can play it solo... I've played is mostly solo... but the game definitely is more rewarding for those that are inclined to guild-style play.

However, the metagame IS a mess right now. 

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I'm not sure whether I'm not playing it right or whether I'm just not cut out for this sort of game but I started playing it and realized its an insanely well made game which I played for about 3 days and loved but as time grew on i found I was just doing the same thing (fighting the other teams people and making our area as much as possible) over and over, there didn't seem to be any depth or variation. However from the way people speak about it and the way it is designed I really feel like I shouldn't be thinking about it this way but I am. Does anybody feel like this after playing ps2? Or is there some fundamental part of the game that im missing or what?

Great post. Did you play Planetside 1? While the situation was the same (three factions in constant battle), I think the execution is different. PS1 had epic battle that could last literally for days. By 'battle' I mean the siege/defense of a single base or bridge. The battles were just epic. The enormity and ferocity of the battles made it rewarding long term. Not a game you play every day for years; but certainly a game you play for a month on and off over years.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    They took an amazing concept and failed to execute it properly.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by timtrack

I don't know about casual-friendly. There is no tutorial, you just get droped in the middle of a battle straight away. And when you do, you will get your shit handed to you. A "casual" could easily be demoralized by that. Then you have to figure out how everything works while getting killed repeatedly, until you learn how to return the favor.

lol, there is some truth to that I suppose,.

I logged in, was dropped "somehwere" walked 3 feet if that and WHAM I was down. Respawned somwhere, walked outside and was down. There might have been one more respawn where I hid inside some sort of bunker or some such thing, shot a few people and then I was down again and "woke" in an area of allies (I suppose), Walked around for a bit clicking on things and then logged off.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Mordred1Mordred1 Member UncommonPosts: 84

The only thing wrong here is that MMORPG.COM is including any online multiplayer game on their website regradless of genre.

Planetside 2 is a FPS, it has nothing to do with mmorpgs, you won't find scaling content or character creation and it won't appeal to anyone that plays solely mmorpgs. Yes, you do the same thing over and over like in any other FPS like Counter-Strike, but the appeal in a FPS is player dynamics, one match will never be the same as the last one.  And in my opinion PS2 is a great game.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I tired to play it during beta, and all I could think was dcuo was a much better game. To be honest the original planetside is a better game. Now I know I am in the minority on that thinking but that is the way I see it.

I just did not enjoy what planetside 2 turned into. It seams to be to vehicle dependent.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Mordred

Planetside 2 IS A MMO

It has more right to be on this site than diablo3, Torchlight 2, war z etc..

In fact its MORE of a MMO than games like swtor and tsw in my opinion.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Mordred1

The only thing wrong here is that MMORPG.COM is including any online multiplayer game on their website regradless of genre.

Planetside 2 is a FPS, it has nothing to do with mmorpgs

It has more to do with MMOs than WoW, SWTOR, Rift, TSW, or AoC. By far.

• Mordred1Mordred1 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Mordred

Planetside 2 IS A MMO

It's a MMOFPS, not a MMORPG. PS2 is more akin to CoD, Quake and Counter-Strike than any MMORPG. Truth is the only thing it's similar to MMORPGs is the number of people playing. If that's enough to be on this site I think something is wrong... For me it's clear it's the wrong audience when you see posts of people asking about PvE or character creation.

IMO those games you mentioned also shouldn't be here, two wrongs don't make a right, but what the hell.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Mordred1
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Mordred

Planetside 2 IS A MMO

It's a MMOFPS, not a MMORPG. PS2 is more akin to CoD, Quake and Counter-Strike than any MMORPG.

Uh. No. You grow your character over time just like an RPG. It has more to do with Dark Age of Camelot and true MMORPGs than WoW does.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

This right here is exactly what the game lacks, a clear mission or objective to do, something to make each time you play be different.

Right now there is just no reason to go fight a some place over another because at most they just give some weak bonuses or add +2 or +3 to your resources pool.

Also unlike the first game as soon as you conquer a location the enemy can come and just retake it, almost right the same second you got it. In the first game you had a lockdown on newly conquered areas and that made it completely different because in the end you had to move on, on PLanetside 2 I can be playing the whole day and never move from this or that facility because it is always under attack.

Im sad to say it but right now it is a huge battlefield experience, it needs missions or goals or something that makes each or some outposts more important than others, area lockdown so you can go protect or attack another place, and for gods sake add a Continent Conquered message because right now we have nothing.

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76
    I was looking foward to PS2 myself...but it turns out I just can't learn to love P2W zergfests...oh well..back to Chivalry and awesomenauts!
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

This is a case where the sequel is far worse then the orginal.. In the first Planetside it took my almost 2 years before I fully burned out of the game.  In this version, that I have been playing for about a month, I am almost burnt out completly and from what I have been reading and seeing so are alot of people.

I truely despise this development team, as usual they refused to listen to their alpha/beta testers and now the game is made to suffer because of it.  This game will be dead within 6 months, and since it is already F2P I do not know where they can go from there...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith