Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cartel Market rakes in the cash

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Gambling systems are a good way to rake in money, there is a reason a lot of asian origin F2P games utilize them. You don't come to realize how much you spend in hopes of getting some item. 

We tend to be gambling addicts and having it in game involving a cash shop to get an item by chance only helps to rake cash in from people.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by simplius

if they made such a big pile of cash with cartel,,why charge for makeb?

this content has been in the pipe for a very long time now,,but suddenly ALL have to pay real $

this looks like the last moneygrab, before skipping town

and even if that isnt enough,,soon disney will be knocking on the door for their cut

now that disney owns the IP, they will prolly have a hard look at what theyre getting from EA, contra

what they can do themselves,,also to protect the IP from further harm

Makeb was free when it was on a sub-model.

SWTOR is now on a F2P model so not sure why charging for Makeb is surprising.

it still is a sub model with f2p so the subbers should have got it for nothing..dont think they do though..cost $10 if pre-ordered

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Its not F2P model, its sub model with extended trial.

Subs are still charged, so your logic is...false.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Gambling systems are a good way to rake in money, there is a reason a lot of asian origin F2P games utilize them. You don't come to realize how much you spend in hopes of getting some item. 

We tend to be gambling addicts and having it in game involving a cash shop to get an item by chance only helps to rake cash in from people.

Its good short term. Long term...nah-uh. Most of people are not gamblers.

And those Asian games sell power in gambling.

And SWTOR is not present in Asia, if it worked so well in the west we would have load of such games (but we dont), but it doesnt really fit all that well.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

You will pay for Makeb! The f2p leeches must be subsidized!!

You know what is really scary about this "expansion"? There's not really a lot of info on the features it brings and yet, people are pre-ordering it (so I hear anyways).

I already bought popcorn for release day (no kidding).

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by kevjards

this content has been in the pipe for a very long time now,,but suddenly ALL have to pay real $

and even if that isnt enough,,soon disney will be knocking on the door for their cut

now that disney owns the IP, they will prolly have a hard look at what theyre getting from EA, contra

it still is a sub model with f2p so the subbers should have got it for nothing..dont think they do though..cost $10 if pre-ordered

Also keep in mind that the subscriber pre-ordering price of $9.99 expires January 7th, then jumps to the regular price of $19.99. I also feel that subscribers should be getting Makeb for free - especially considering how thin the content updates have been for the last year.

Subscribers make up the majority of players in SWTOR, so it should come as no surprise that the target sonsumers will be the already paying, subscribing players. Bioware will wring out every loose nickle it can from those all too willing to pay more.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

not surprising..ure right

my point was this,,if CC had given them such a big earning, they wouldnt need to charge for makeb though

in fact they would have saved themselves from  A LOT of bad PR by not charging

but apparently , they still NEED that 10-20$ extra income,,would that be the case , if CC was doing so well?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by jpnz Originally posted by simplius if they made such a big pile of cash with cartel,,why charge for makeb? this content has been in the pipe for a very long time now,,but suddenly ALL have to pay real $ this looks like the last moneygrab, before skipping town and even if that isnt enough,,soon disney will be knocking on the door for their cut now that disney owns the IP, they will prolly have a hard look at what theyre getting from EA, contra what they can do themselves,,also to protect the IP from further harm
    Makeb was free when it was on a sub-model. SWTOR is now on a F2P model so not sure why charging for Makeb is surprising.
    not surprising..ure right

my point was this,,if CC had given them such a big earning, they wouldnt need to charge for makeb though

in fact they would have saved themselves from  A LOT of bad PR by not charging

but apparently , they still NEED that 10-20$ extra income,,would that be the case , if CC was doing so well?

They charged for it because they could. If all companies only charged what they needed to charge for stuff, the world would be a much cheaper place to live.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Camaro68
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi
    Originally posted by Myria
    Originally posted by mikahr

None will get reinvested, they have huuuuuuuuuge debt to service and interests arent going down.

Truly, we are fortunate to be graced by so many with insider knowledge of EA's financials and business plans.

Care to share some specifics, please -- say the size of this 'huuuuuuuuuge debt' and to whom it's owed? You know, the kind of information that's meaningful, verifiable, something beyond the vague claims mindless forum trolls routinely pull out of their arse?

http://ycharts.com/companies/EA/debt_equity_ratio

http://ycharts.com/companies/EA/long_term_debt

Well that proves everything.  I'm sure a company that generates revenue in the billions has you on speed dial for financial advice.

Touchy little fellow aren't you, I just provided the figures on EA debt levels as issued BY ea to the markets. If you want more context their debt is 500m, their income is 4b which generated a profit of 78m in 2011/12 which was an improvement on their 10/11 loss of 270m.

i will leave it a financial expert like yourself to provide us with your informed commentary on them.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• Camaro68Camaro68 Member Posts: 50

None will get reinvested, they have huuuuuuuuuge debt to service and interests arent going down.

Truly, we are fortunate to be graced by so many with insider knowledge of EA's financials and business plans.

Care to share some specifics, please -- say the size of this 'huuuuuuuuuge debt' and to whom it's owed? You know, the kind of information that's meaningful, verifiable, something beyond the vague claims mindless forum trolls routinely pull out of their arse?

Well that proves everything.  I'm sure a company that generates revenue in the billions has you on speed dial for financial advice.

Touchy little fellow aren't you, I just provided the figures on EA debt levels as issued BY ea to the markets. If you want more context their debt is 500m, their income is 4b which generated a profit of 78m in 2011/12 which was an improvement on their 10/11 loss of 270m.

i will leave it a financial expert like yourself to provide us with your informed commentary on them.

What's your point?  Seriously just move on. 

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    That just shows that the money they profit in, will go back to investments, not the game itself. At least, not like it was initially supposed to.
  • Camaro68Camaro68 Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by JKwervo
    That just shows that the money they profit in, will go back to investments, not the game itself. At least, not like it was initially supposed to.

They told you this?

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by JKwervo

Of course, EA is done with pouring money into SWTOR, its in same place as WHO as far as they are concerned. They even brought same people to be in charge of it.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186

What's your point?  Seriously just move on. 

And your point is? Someone asked for the specific figures, I provided them, you jumped in with a snarky comment about me and then tell me I should be moving on, why did you comment in the first place.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Originally posted by Rocketeer

2500 people is not a small sample group. Medical tests on life and death medicamentation(like cancer) is done on far smaller sample sizes.

Obviously fansites are mostly visited by people already dedicated to the game. That being said, yes they are making silly amounts of money with the cartel market. All F2P games with a sizeable population do. Its like putting a one armed bandit into a corner of your restaurant, your not selling less food, but you will make extra money with it.

Reason being that many people have no problem a sub, thats fine. However there is a subgroup in those subbers, that don't have any problem spending 10x a subs value on a ingame store if it happens to carry something they like. I spent like 50$ myself, getting field respecs and the like for all my chars, its quite handy and i don't mind the money.

The actual sample size does not matter, as long as its less than 10% of the total population for what ever you are testing, and in this case its the game. Now I'm not sure of how many people play this game, but i'm pretty sure this is within the guidelines of testing samples out. 

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

oh well there goes my hope for a good star wars MMO, e.g. swg2

guess swtor won't be shut down if it still makes some cash

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by FromHell
    oh well there goes my hope for a good star wars MMO, e.g. swg2 guess swtor won't be shut down if it still makes some cash

Why would they throw yet more money at a Star Wars MMO when they tried twice and got mediocre results at best? Three times if you count NGE as a separate attempt.

If SWToR makes money, good for them. If it folds, sucks for them but that's not going to lead to another game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214

I came back as a subscriber, with hopes that the game was improved enough after a year. I was somewhat pleased to the point within 2 weeks until The bugs got me in a class story "The Mandolorain Killer BH class line. CS I found out they are still out to lunch. Response times are just pathetic. It wasnt till I recieved a survey that I got some attention. When  you write a bad survey they seem to respond somewhat more quickly. But far from the quality of service you would hope for.

After reading this blog http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130102 I have come to another decission that the game isnt going to go nowhere as far as content.Aftre all the suggestion players trying to help out did they listen? Again I came back with hopes of improvements have I seen or experience some yes but the game is still laggy in alot of areas CS still needs improvements for after a year they would learn a lesson on CS and they haven't Bug bugs and no mentioning of fixing them Everyday I have been back I checked out some the bugs that were in when I first started and they r still there. After applying for a replacement for some stuff that was buggy in the begining I still havent recieved a proper reply or replacement.

I was hoping for some announcements on Flying Machines or some rework of space combat or some guild improvements real improvements that really pertain to content but als I do not!

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

This  is interesting so SWTOR is making money I know the cash shop is quite successful based on the  brisk Galactic Trade Market and people yelling their wares in fleet. People love spending to look good including my husband who bought some outfits. I hope the game goes on doing well because I want people to play with.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by lizardbones

oh well there goes my hope for a good star wars MMO, e.g. swg2

Why would they throw yet more money at a Star Wars MMO when they tried twice and got mediocre results at best? Three times if you count NGE as a separate attempt.

If SWToR makes money, good for them. If it folds, sucks for them but that's not going to lead to another game.

A lot SWG fans can't accept that 1. There game was shut down and 2. It isn't going to be remade any time soon.  

The real problem is that Star Wars means different things to different people.  Until a company makes a game that successfully covers all those ideas, any Star Wars game will be a failure.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by lizardbones

oh well there goes my hope for a good star wars MMO, e.g. swg

The orginal SWG was doing well and Clone Wars Adventures is doing well. SWTOR would actually be the exception, not the rule.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Latronus

A lot SWG fans can't accept that 1. There game was shut down and 2. It isn't going to be remade any time soon.  

The real problem is that Star Wars means different things to different people.  Until a company makes a game that successfully covers all those ideas, any Star Wars game will be a failure.

SWTOR isn't a lot of things (like sandbox) but one thing it does get it right is the story of Star Wars.

If you liked the movies, you'll like the plot of SWTOR.

I'm subbed to this game but I haven't spent additional $$$ at the CS yet.

Not sure why people are 'up in arms' about this though, if someone has to think twice before spending money on a video game, that someone has larger issues to worry about.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by Chieftan

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/29/swtor-fan-site-posts-cartel-market-poll-results/#comments

So....if one person spends $100 in the Cartel Market that's the equivalent of 6 people subbing for one month.

And because I was reminded here SO MANY times that even a small sample is an accurate indicator of what the playerbase as a whole is doing, that must mean EA's making money hand over fist right now.

The really sad thing is that EA will deem this a big success and we will never see the end of nickle and diming in sub games. 

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

1st of all massively has the lowest followers from all MMO fan sites, so dont give much attention

2nd all p2p use the CC and then sell the items in the GTN while all the boosts and unlocks goes to f2p customers, while p2p buyers buy speeders, pets, outifts and unlock the high priced ship GTN and that boot boosters

3rd so far none item is p2w with CC

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131

Just my opinion but I believe that the "apparent" success of this move by EA/Bioware will lead to more and more moves to F2P and cash shop approach.

So far I'm all in favour of it. Subscriptions will die eventually.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

oh well there goes my hope for swg2

As if that was ever a possibility to begin with. 

Nope. This one's sticking around for awhile. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft