Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of taking the plunge...again

BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Just wondering, before I resub, I'm not sure I remember how to do anything and was just wondering if I can redo the tutorial? 

Any tips or advice?

Comments

• JerivalJerival Member Posts: 16
    There is a tutorial selection in the new neocom.  Just tried clicking it and it started the tutorial up for me, but I never went through it.  So I cant speak to whether or not it would work if you had run through the tutorial previously.
  • SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Just  do the free trial to get the hang of things again, it does the tutorial and gives you the feel for the game. No cost and you won't be as lost if you decide to re sub on your main.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Just wondering, before I resub, I'm not sure I remember how to do anything and was just wondering if I can redo the tutorial? 

Any tips or advice?

Yes, you can redo any of the tutorials. Just press F12 and pick the ones that you want to do.

I also suggest working with the career agents as well. Not only for what you can learn, but for the ships and the mods that they provide to you.

Welcome back to New Eden!

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Do the tutorials, and the career agents. They'll teach you the basics of the game as well as net you a decent amount of startup ISK, skills, ships, and modules.

Word of advice, don't beg for ISK in corp chat. Last guy who did that in my starter corp (School of Applied Knowledge) got himself an 80 million ISK bounty. Plus it's rather irritating. image

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    A lot of mission runners will do the career agents for differing factions to raise their standings on occassion. But that's the thing. Most people start EVE thinking about some single player career like exploration or mission running and never graduate the concept into something they can do with a player corporation and end up dropping the game. So, if you do start playing it again, think about what you want to do with a corp too because EVE solo is like watching paint dry. Is it worth it? Well, that's up to you. What are you looking for.  Really, most everything outside of PVP boils down to a side job to raise ISK so that you can go do something PVP related.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Well I resubbed to what I thought was the account I made almost two years ago, but it turns out it was an older trial account from 5 years ago,  it was a good deal to resub as I got a destroyer (Catalyst) and it was only 9.99$.  I opened up a support ticket so that hopefully I can have my payment applied to the proper account.  Crosses fingers.  In the meantime I will try to get reaccustomed. 

Ps:  no worries Rednecksith as I would never beg or ask for money. 

• willo248willo248 Member Posts: 346
    Good luck getting the sub reapplied! From my dealings with Eve support there the best in any game, and sometimes even roleplay changes they make which is ammusing.
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Yes, CCP's customer support is very good. I once had some issues with a buddy invite reward. I let them know and they solved it in no time. Hopefuly they will help you out aswell :-)

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Here's a similar question -

I played EvE for a few months at least - got myself well into Battle Cruisers, whatever the one is with missiles....

Was doing a lot of PvE missions, got pretty bored of it.

Wasn't really making much $ either even with lots of salvaging.

Anyways -

I want to get involved with a corp and do something far more interesting and hopefully profitable.

Is it possible in EvE to be a smuggler?

Something like sneaking high valued goods from High Sec into Low/Null sec and back?

If I understand things right - most corps just use jump drives on big ass freighters or capital ships etc. to move goods between high and null sec because you then don't have to worry about gate camps and such.

So smuggling is pretty much impossible?

There is no career path in EvE for a smaller/fast "light freighter" kind of ship with decent defensive capabilities to do blockade running/smuggling?

Originally posted by BadSpock

Something like sneaking high valued goods from High Sec into Low/Null sec and back?

If I understand things right - most corps just use jump drives on big ass freighters or capital ships etc. to move goods between high and null sec because you then don't have to worry about gate camps and such.

Yes, transporting goods between low, null, and high sec in EVE is a potential career path.

Jump drives and cynos cannot be used in high sec, so when transporting goods, everyone has to go through all the dangerous bottlenecks and gate camps (hopefully with scouts).

This chart lists a number of potential carrer paths in EVE, including hauling goods: http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D

Originally posted by Boardwalker

Yes, transporting goods between low, null, and high sec in EVE is a potential career path.

Jump drives and cynos cannot be used in high sec, so when transporting goods, everyone has to go through all the dangerous bottlenecks and gate camps (hopefully with scouts).

This chart lists a number of potential carrer paths in EVE, including hauling goods: http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

What kind of ships and skills would a person need to do high sec to low/null hauling?

Yes it's deffinately a career path. A lot of people use stealth ships etc to smuggle small but expensive items such as blueprints and plex. 

It is actually very important to smuggle goods in and out of Jita as many 'suicide gankers'  cargo scan ships coming in and out looking for people carrying plex etc.

Originally posted by willo248

Yes it's deffinately a career path. A lot of people use stealth ships etc to smuggle small but expensive items such as blueprints and plex. 

It is actually very important to smuggle goods in and out of Jita as many 'suicide gankers'  cargo scan ships coming in and out looking for people carrying plex etc.

Hmmm.

I was thinking more like ammo / tech modules and such people need out in null sec? Doesn't sound fun to spend all my time in Jita and high sec.

Are stealth ships the only way to beat gate camps and such?

I take it target jammers and warp core stabalizers and such aren't much help to prevent getting popped?

I take it target jammers and warp core stabalizers and such aren't much help to prevent getting popped?

Stealth ships are great for that, yes. You can also fit a cloaking device and micro-warp drive on pretty much any ship and use the jump > align > mwd > cloak trick to get through gate camps in null. Gate camps in low are less problematic because they can't use bubbles to prevent warps.

Other modules like jammers, stabilizers, and hull "agility" upgrades are all useful as well.

Stealth ships are great for that, yes. You can also fit a cloaking device and micro-warp drive on pretty much any ship and use the jump > align > mwd > cloak trick to get through gate camps in null. Gate camps in low are less problematic because they can't use bubbles to prevent warps.

Other modules like jammers, stabilizers, and hull "agility" upgrades are all useful as well.

Real question now-

Is it fun? A good way to make $$?

I wouldn't mind running Cargo missions and doing High Sec hauling while I skill up the neccesary skills - I've already got all the combat/ship skills I need if I remember correctly to fit a good shield tank and tech 2 mods and such - and I think I've got most of the industrial skills to get started... just have to max out industrial skills and start on the more advanced stuff like MWD and Cloaking fields...

The PvE in EvE is.... boring. I couldn't stand doing any more combat missions.

I'm not a ganker, wouldn't get much fun out of PvP but maybe factional warfare?

But I really love the idea of risking and avoiding / running from PvP to make big $ instead of trying to pew pew things.

Essentially if you run into a gate camp in a non stealth ship, unless the gate camp is horribly unorganised you will almost certainly get killed.

However it is very possible to trade between low and high sec. Generally the prices for ammo and modules are higher in low/null sec as people do not want to take the time to go to jita or amarr and get the items themselves so they will pay whatever price is neccesary. Now to exploit this whithout the use of  a jump freighter is possible. 

Using the right tactics such as scouting systems,  looking at thge map data on various systems you plan to go to go through you can completely avoid gate camps. It is also worth noting that there are stealth frieghters availible.

Heres a video that explains how would go about scouting a system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3GuZpKc4fs

Real question now-

I wouldn't mind running Cargo missions and doing High Sec hauling while I skill up the neccesary skills - I've already got all the combat/ship skills I need if I remember correctly to fit a good shield tank and tech 2 mods and such - and I think I've got most of the industrial skills to get started... just have to max out industrial skills and start on the more advanced stuff like MWD and Cloaking fields...

But I really love the idea of risking and avoiding / running from PvP to make big $ instead of trying to pew pew things.

Yes it can deffinately be fun depending on what you enjoy. You shouldn't need to much in the way of skills to get started maybe a few days training time. 

If it's done right it's argubably one of the best ways to make isk in eve, were talking billions.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Badspock, there is one thing you can do. Hard to find info on it, but drug running might be up your alley. Friend of mine used to do for good isk. Dealing with all npc's though. Fly safe.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

I still haven't got my account sorted out so I haven't done much yet.

Was just wondering, what are the ships and fittings that are in the most demand right now?  I'm thinking of leaning towards industrial stuff and was wondering what it takes to get into making some of that stuff?  Or is that mostly out of reach for a new player?  Might be something interesting to works towards though.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Real question now-

There's a few routes you can take as a hauler / smuggler.  You can accept contracts from other players to move their assets around the universe.

You can move stuff you bought on the market between trade hubs for your own profit (buy low / sell high type of thing). 

Or you can run drugs.  It's a tough market to get into because not many corps do it but it does sound like the most fun.  Since drugs can't be made in high sec and they're mostly illegal in the eyes of concord, you'll have to run from "the man".

Whether this is fun is up to you.  Hauling is not my cup of tea.  Trading can be fun but requires a lot of micro-management.  Hauling is probably not going to make you rich, trading can make you billions.

As somebody who started their PvP career in fac war as a gallente militia member, I can tell you it was a lot of fun!

You may have some trouble if you try to do both though.  Fac war is going to cause you to lose standings with the opposing faction which means you'll be shot at if you enter their high sec space.  Not just by other players, their navy will come after you too.  It's not insta-death type like the concord but you will get caught if you're in a big ship that can't align and warp pretty fast.

If you want to remain neutral so you'll have no trouble as a hauler / trader moving around the universe but want to dabble in PvP, I would recommend Red vs Blue.  It's two player created corps that keep up a perpetual war dec.  You're free to leave and join any time and there's always fights to be had.  It's also in high sec so there's not much risk of outside interference and no cap ships.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Thanks all.

I'm just trying to get my account stuff figured out right now.

I've picked up and dropped EvE a couple of time - a couple of different accounts - actually proving difficult to find my most recent account I spent money on a couple of months that has a lot of combat skills trained and some industrial.

I got pretty far in my shield tank training and frigates/destroyers/cruisers/battle cruisers and I'd hate to lose all that.

Is there a place to look up characters skills?

The account management page doesn't show you what skills you have trained :(

Would it work for inactive characters?

Thanks

Thanks all.

I've picked up and dropped EvE a couple of time - a couple of different accounts - actually proving difficult to find my most recent account I spent money on a couple of months that has a lot of combat skills trained and some industrial.

I got pretty far in my shield tank training and frigates/destroyers/cruisers/battle cruisers and I'd hate to lose all that.

Thanks

Take the time and figure it out.  Otherwise you will end up like me.  Still waiting for a response.  Be sure to check your old emails and do a search to see if they sent you the account activation.  Might give you some clues.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Thanks all.

Thanks

Only things I can think of is http://eveboard.com/ if you registered there in the past or perhaps EVEMon can pull down your character skills.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I ran multiple accounts in eve for years, on & off. Every now & then I reactivate the wrong account, thru customer support they were able to figure it out and activate my correct account after displaying proof I was the original owner. Usually that meant digging up the last 4 digits of the CC i used. Takes a bit, but they have always pulled thru for me. Here is hoping their customer support hasnt changed much over the years. Good luck. 
    Originally posted by Nevulus
    I ran multiple accounts in eve for years, on & off. Every now & then I reactivate the wrong account, thru customer support they were able to figure it out and activate my correct account after displaying proof I was the original owner. Usually that meant digging up the last 4 digits of the CC i used. Takes a bit, but they have always pulled thru for me. Here is hoping their customer support hasnt changed much over the years. Good luck. 

How long would it normally take for them to respond to you about that?  I put in my request last night and am still waiting.