Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] General: Mike's Best of 2012

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

With 2012 now behind us it's always fun to take a look back at the games that we spent lots of hours enjoying. We'll be spending this week talking about the games that we, the staff of MMORPG.com, caught our attention in the year that was. As ever, join the conversation in the comments. Mike weighs in with his choices on this first week of 2013. Read on!

I know there are many people here in our community that will feel completely opposite to me on this, but in 2012, my biggest issue was trying to figure out how to divide my limited time amongst a bunch of great games. In the past, even with many options to consider, the notion of having to pay subscriptions for different games helped make the choice easier. This year, we’ve seen a number of AAA MMOs either go or launch free-to-play in some manner or another and this combined with a banner year for the MMO genre made 2012 truly stand out.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Mike's Best of 2012.

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Those are your MMO best. Do you have any outside the genre?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I love how for guildwars 2 the terms vary from  sounding great to being padding. From 'approachable buisness model and 'nuanced' combat system to far stronger words like 'engaging' dynamic events and seemless social gameplay.

None the less, not to bad a list, I'd probably rid of GW2 and Smite on the list in particular (with SWTOR being very iffy) but none the less it does show that the year wasn't massively eventful with real big MMos.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Oh man, for sure!

Mass Effect 3, XCOM, Borderlands 2,Far Cry 3, FTL, Mark of the Ninja, Hitman Absolution,Civ 5: Gods and Kings, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.

I imagine Dishonored would be on this list, but I haven't played it yet!

Originally posted by MikeB

Oh man, for sure!

Mass Effect 3, XCOM, Borderlands 2,Far Cry 3, FTL, Mark of the Ninja, Hitman Absolution,Civ 5: Gods and Kings, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.

That is a lot! I want to try XCOM so badly!

Oh man, for sure!

XCOM is a must buy in my opinion. I'd be embarassed to say how many hours I dumped into that thing!

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    nuanced combat in GW2?  You have a handful of abilities that you pop when they are off cooldown.  There really isn't a more shallow and dumbed down combat system in the modern mmo world.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Oh man, for sure!

XCOM is a must buy in my opinion. I'd be embarassed to say how many hours I dumped into that thing!

I love Sins: Rebellion - I dumped a good 30 hours in this past weekend with the extra days off due to Holiday and my GF being sick and in bed!

I have gripes.. that's for sure, but it's still a lot of fun.

Oh man, for sure!

Broke down and bought it.....image

Gonna have to stop listening to people talk about awesome games, it's bad for my wallet!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Oh man, for sure!

Gonna have to stop listening to people talk about awesome games, it's bad for my wallet!

Buy Civ 5 and Sins if you like RTS - both are awesome yet very different games.

I can't wait for the new Sim City to be honest - looks fantastic.

I've also heard really good things about Far Cry 3 - and ME3 is a great game despite the ending being not quite what my inner fanboi was hoping for :(

Oh man, for sure!

Good choice! Hope you got it on sale! Make sure you name your team after your friends for added amusement. ;)

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

The only game on that list that might be fun(but i havent; had chance to try, lol just see videos) was smite.

SWTOR was boring.. was a nice pretty wow with some bobbin heads(Yea it had more but it didn't do anything wow didn't if that makes sense)

GW2 is ok, but lack of a real 'action' type combat makes the game just feel 'incompleate'' to me(It does package what it does have well enough though, at least this one is an improvment over wow)

TSW was great.. the first time, and only if u spent more time/energy exploring/doing quests. The combat is frakin horrible and i'd rather chew tinfoil. But the GAME (everything TSW is EXCEPT combat) is great.

And Ps2 is a mmo... hmm not sure on that. Besides, with all the cheating(Sucks being headshot the second.. litlerly the split second, u come out from behind cover, from a guy over 1500 feet away) just made me drop this one 2 days into testing it.(TBH not even sure if they fixed that and punished the cheaters or not, and I never really felt any pull to go back)

Yes it does look like, if THIS is 2012's 'best' offerings, that the mmo genere is simple dead. Doubt we will see anything 'new' come out, ever. (Yes plenty out there being developed, but each of the promising 'break the mold' games we have seen 'start' always get stomped and cancled long before we see them. Its sad, but nowdays it seems the only real option for 'good gaming' are single player games.)

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    As much as i like GW2, I don't feel its social at all.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I agree with you Mike on your choice. I did not try GW2, as I am tired of "regular" fantasy games after 6 years of EQ2 but I found that TSW is a really nice jewel and of course SWTOR is this "one perfect" game for me.

Planning to support both games as I think that they both provide something completely different then other MMOs... and that's a wonderful, immersing story... which hopefully will continue in years to come.

I know not all people like that kind of MMOs, but there is definitely a place for both these games to thrive and grow, especially when people will finally realize after hasing after  this "one and only"  MMO, which will always be this one MMO away and probably won't ever come into reality... that grass is not really greenier somewhere else...

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Oh man, for sure!

Good choice! Hope you got it on sale! Make sure you name your team after your friends for added amusement. ;)

I have a team of the worlds greatest heroes ever seen by anybody ever.

1 = Han Solo (Assault)

2 = Ted Striker (Heavy)

3 = Paper Mario (Support)

4 = Dog From Duck Hunt (Sniper)

5 = Jimmi Hendrix (Sniper)

6 = Dr Peter Venkman (Support)

The Earth is safe! (After lot's and lot's of reloads)

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

I already get sad enough when one long standing member gets killed without them being named after my friends :P

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

Oh man, for sure!

XCOM is truly a great game. Have spent many an hour in it, that turned into too late a night.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

Oh man, for sure!

Played through Dishonored in high chaos, fullpowered and again as low chaos and no powers beyond blink stage one, no bone charms or weapon upgrades. A good game with a good story.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

You're not alone Mike for the first time in a long time I'm having difficulty finding time to play everything I want to. 2012 has been a great year for MMO's, so currently I'm trying to juggle, GW2, RiFT:SL and TSW.

If only GW2 had more traditional dungeons (tank/healer/dps or at least some sort of set role) I'd probably play that on its own.

Originally posted by spookydom

Oh man, for sure!

I have a team of the worlds greatest heroes ever seen by anybody ever.

1 = Han Solo (Assault)

2 = Ted Striker (Heavy)

3 = Paper Mario (Support)

4 = Dog From Duck Hunt (Sniper)

5 = Jimmi Hendrix (Sniper)

6 = Dr Peter Venkman (Support)

The Earth is safe! (After lot's and lot's of reloads)

I'm sorry but I'd probaly get "Dog From Duck Hunt" killed on purpose.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I just couldnt get into Sins, I hoped it would grow on me, but it never did. Perhaps the shallow singleplayer experience did it to me. Where Civ V is still the game i play the most. what a great game.
  • FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129
    I find Smite to be suuuuch an average game.
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

>swtor

>best

lol.

Oh man, for sure!

Yup, it's on sale at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/2K-Games-41071emy-Unknown1-XCOM/dp/B008ALU5KG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357228179&sr=8-1&keywords=xcom+enemy+unknown

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Only Mr. Bitton would include the worst MMO from 2011 in his best MMOs from 2012 list.