Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting with wow or secret world...

Linus41Linus41 Member UncommonPosts: 15
Hi I wanna start playin WoW or the secret world... whe i decide to paly wow which game should i buy first??? the first wow release? or start with something else?? And which game is better wow or the secret world?

For the latest articles/news visit my blog: ==> http://linus41.blogspot.com/ <==

Comments

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Maybe some more information first as to what your looking for out of your mmo? so many factors to consider..
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    You can try WoW for free. Go to their website download the trial and give it a go. However your picking between 2 very different art styles and games. I would suggest WoW over TSW. WoW is put together nicely and is easy to understand and plays well. TSW is ok but can get on your nerves a lot faster if your not used to online gaming.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

For WoW, you'll buy at least one expansion, plus the initial box, and there's a sub fee. It's going to be more expensive. With TSW, you have just the box purchase and no sub fee. However, WoW will be easier to get into. If you've never played an MMO before, you might want to start with WoW.

Also, as has been pointed out, WoW has a free trial so you can get an idea if you want to play MMOs.

Now, personal opinion time, I like TSW better than WoW, but that's because it isn't as easy to get into. With WoW, you really can kind of blunder through things and be OK. With TSW, you're going to have to at read a bit about the game and how stuff works at the start to really progress. It's not as forgiving with your character build and some of the quests require a bit more thinking than the usual fare. All that said, I did play WoW for over three years, so I don't think it's a wrong choice, especially if you've never played MMOs before. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

What lizardbones said.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    TSW: No Orcs and Gobblins, and Elves, and blah blah blah blah, and no sub.
  • reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

TSW has a great storyline, just like Star Wars: The Old Republic. This makes it easy for new MMO players to get heavily immersed in an environment more akin to the single-player games they're familiar with. SWTOR is Free to Play, which might be a good argument in its favor. TSW is free after you buy it, which is good enough for me. WoW, imho, will turn you off of gaming forever, as its community is the worst I've ever experienced anywhere (worse than Darkfall.. and that was all about stabbing you in the face)

• Linus41Linus41 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I'm not new to mmo's btw. Which expansion of wow should i get then? And what game has the warmest and most social community?  I like how tsw is put together. Only i don't know is tsw will stand trough time like wow does...

For the latest articles/news visit my blog: ==> http://linus41.blogspot.com/ <==

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Linus41
    I'm not new to mmo's btw. Which expansion of wow should i get then? And what game has the warmest and most social community?  I like how tsw is put together. Only i don't know is tsw will stand trough time like wow does...

If you're going to try wow, don't worry about expansions. Just play the free trial and go from there. Having said that, the best class they've ever designed, the Monk, needs the whole enchilada to play it after the free trial.

If you want to play any other class, you only need the basic WOW until you reach level 60. You can then get the expansions after that: Burning Crusades is 60-70, Lich King is 70-80, Cataclysm 80-85 and Pandaria 85-90.

TSW is a very fun but much harder to get into the game. The mechanics are far more complicated and you can get easily lost choosing skills and developing a class that will be viable after the first zone.

Community? TSW's is far friendlier and helpful. WOW seems to be full of bored people who have been playing for 7 years and just want to run the dungeon they have already run 100 times with other toons ASAP without a single line in chat and just get their loot and go.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

If continued longevity (healthy pop/future content) is a primary concern, WoW is the only choice then.  There will still be millions of people playing it  years from now. *shudders*   If this is the case, then you will have to buy all expansions.....iirc.  You might want to check on the accuracy of that last sentence though.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Consider gw2 also. It's newbie friendly and doesn't have a sub.

Especially if you want to pvp sometime.

WoW has proven itself to have longevity. Not sure about TSW. I really do like TSW, but I don't think I'll play it for three years like I did WoW. But I don't think I'll play anything for three years like I did WoW.

If you play WoW, start with the free trial to see if you like it, then buy the WoW Battlechest. I think you get the first two expansions with the main game. That will be $19. The Cataclysm xpac will be $29.99 and the Mists of Panderia xpac will be $39.99. Not sure if cost is a factor or not.

If you play TSW, get it off of Amazon or Steam. I think it's still on sale on Steam for $25. There are no xpacs for TSW yet.

** edit **
    What ShakyMo said about GW2. TSW technically has PvP, but it's not a good reason to play the game. GW2's PvP is way better. WoW's PvP is OK too, but a little dated now.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    If you buy the World of Warcraft box don't you get Vanilla+TBC?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    OP - Depends on whether you want to use your brain when you play, or not. Play WoW if you want all your leveling decisions mapped out for you and all you care about is killing "X" number of critters. Play TSW if you want to puzzle & mystery solve, and actually think about how you want to apply ability and skill points. All boils down how much gray matter you want to utliyze in your gaming, really.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

WoW is fun but you're playing it to run dungeon after dungeon after dungeon with no communication between the people in your group unless you do something wrong or try really hard to get more than a word or two out of anyone. The game will most likely keep running for the next 500 years because unless Blizzard comes out with another MMO that's as appealing to such a large market there's no end to the money they'll make in subscriptions. 

TSW is fun with a very interesting world and lore, but it's more difficult. TSW is run by Funcom who still runs their first MMO (Anarchy Online) from 2001 and their second MMO (Age of Conan) from 2008. They've continued to invest time and resources into both their previous games so I feel pretty comfortable in believing that TSW will be the same. TSW is currently using a hybrid B2P/F2P/Sub system that I think they'll do well with.

You didn't ask about GW2 but I'll throw that into the mix as well. GW2 is a LOT of fun. It's super easy to play, yet has intricacies to it that not everyone will experience. Combat is very active if you want to be the most effecitve you can be, or you can just play casually and still be able to have fun. It's full of players and the way combat works you're usually battling in dynamic events with a bunch of other people. It's really a nice system.

GW2 is B2P with a cash shop and in-game gem-to-gold system where you can buy gems from ArenaNet to be used in the cash shop or sell your gems to other players for in-game gold. GW1 has been going strong for quite a long time and I don't see any reason for GW2 to fail any time soon. I expect it to be around for the long haul.

I'm torn between the three games, personally. I absolutely love GW2 as does my main gaming friend. My girlfriend likes GW2 but she's a WOW gamer and feels much more comfortable playing that. They both liked what they saw of TSW but with little experience in it asking them to buy yet another game is a hard pill to swallow currently. Although I think WOW has its moments of fun I just don't have nearly as good a time as I do playing other MMOs (just about any of them). It's a good game, just doesn't tickle my fancy as much as I'd like.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

I'll share my experience because I'm stuck like you, OP.

I already owned TSW. I never finished all of the quest. So, I have returned to do that. I really like their quests. I think it's worth doing. When I finish, I'll move on and most likely revisit when enough new content has built up again then repeat the process over.

I'm considering buying MoP afterwards. Just to run through the quests and dork around. I'll probably never get into raiding or rated PvP. I just don't find it rewarding.

Both will most likely keep me busy for the total of 2 months combined. The real problem is finding something to play for the rest of the 10 months of this year.

Maybe check out AO after they release the new changes and engine. There's another old game too I'm waiting on.

Edit: The reason that I choose to play WoW later is because it seems they are still patching and nerfing things so by finishing TSW, it gives time for the dust to settle in WoW. Yeah, there is always nerfs, but I'll let the major ones hit now and deal with the minor expected ones later.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

WoW is definitely easier to learn, and has stood the test of time -- plenty of people still playing this game, and I recommend it  simply because I think everyone needs to play WoW at one time or another.  It's basically a great  MMO starter, as well as the  standard to compare to other MMOs.  It definitely has the most content and population of any other MMO available, and most important, is still lots of fun.

TSW has a great community and some great innovations (the ability wheel, investigations), but it definitely has a steeper learning curve.  I love TSW wholeheartedly, and will recommend it especially to those who want to try something other than fantasy, but if you haven't played Warcraft yet, you should certainly try WoW. 

• xK3runexK3rune Member Posts: 100

I'd choose WoW. Also, if money is a factor, WoW has been on sale twice last month for $5 for Vanilla + TBC + WotLK, $10 for Cataclysm, and $30 for MoP (or $20 on Amazon sales).

Paying full price for all of them now would be a horrrriiibbble idea.

Now can someone explain the lvling situation in tsw? i hear it's a game without leveling? also the games of funcom have the habit to become free to play after a while.... so I don't know if that will be the case with tsw... otherwise buyin tsw would be throwing away money... 

About Wow... if you play the first release, would there be any pop in those parts of the game?? or will the majority be playin mop...? Starting out as a noob and not seeing any pop in the game is very frustrating...

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Gamestop is having a sale right now, you can buy the Wow Battlechest, which includes the original game plus the first 2 expansions, for only $4.99. http://www.gamestop.com/games/world-of-warcraft-battlechest/66582

Now can someone explain the lvling situation in tsw? i hear it's a game without leveling? also the games of funcom have the habit to become free to play after a while.... so I don't know if that will be the case with tsw... otherwise buyin tsw would be throwing away money... About Wow... if you play the first release, would there be any pop in those parts of the game?? or will the majority be playin mop...? Starting out as a noob and not seeing any pop in the game is very frustrating...

In TSW, you don't have "Levels" for your character. However, your talismans and weapons have a big impact on whether or not you'll survive, and the gear does have levels. There are no hard lockouts though...the system doesn't look at your gear's QL and say, "You cannot go here." You could in fact actually survive with weaker gear in zones further along the progression path, but it'll be harder. This doesn't seem to be much of an issue though, because the point is to do the quests and to see the lore, not get to the end game. Especially now that nobody is paying a subscription. There's no sense that you have to get more stuff done because you're paying for the time.

The part of TSW progression that is really open is your skill progression. There are no classes, so what you can do is determined by the weapon you're currently carrying and how you've decided you wanted to play. You can have a shotgun toting spell caster if you want. If you want to get every skill in the game, you can. But it would be good to read up on the skills, and which skill combinations work and which ones don't. It is possible to gimp your character so some care and planning are important.

TSW is B2P right now, you buy the box and do not need a sub. Hopefully this plan works out better than AoC's plans.

The early zones of WoW are going to be pretty empty. The middle zones are going to be even emptier. However, WoW does a pretty good job of keeping all players running through the main city, so you can see a lot of players of all skill levels running around and you won't feel like you're playing a single player game too much.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    personally i think wow is the superior mmo....tsw feels more like a single player game and if your not a huge fan of the horror genre you probably wont like it....wow is kind of an all things for all people type of game while tsw is very much niche.
    Ye i think i'll go for wow... so which games should i get... just he battlechest? and start of there...? or can i get the first wow and MoP? or do you have to have all the expansions to install that game ??

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Ye i think i'll go for wow... so which games should i get... just he battlechest? and start of there...? or can i get the first wow and MoP? or do you have to have all the expansions to install that game ??

Not long ago I got sent a scroll or somesuch I think. When I used it I think it gave me a couple of the expansions. I am not sure if they are still doing this, but it may be worth looking in to.

As others have said, I would use the trial first. There is no limit of time on it as far as I remember, just a level cap.

Originally posted by MaxJac
    Originally posted by Linus41 Ye i think i'll go for wow... so which games should i get... just he battlechest? and start of there...? or can i get the first wow and MoP? or do you have to have all the expansions to install that game ??
    Not long ago I got sent a scroll or somesuch I think. When I used it I think it gave me a couple of the expansions. I am not sure if they are still doing this, but it may be worth looking in to.

As others have said, I would use the trial first. There is no limit of time on it as far as I remember, just a level cap.

Yes. Trial first with a free download. This will take you to level 20 I think. Then, buy the Battlechest, which will get you the game, plus the first two expansions for $19.99. Then get the Cataclysm xpac for $29.99 and finally the Panderia xpac for $39.99.

Someone mentioned the Battlechest on Amazon or something for $7.99. If you can find that deal, take it.

I have no idea how the Scrolls of Resurrection work. If that gets you the game plus first two xpacs for free, take it.

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by MaxJac

Originally posted by Linus41 Ye i think i'll go for wow... so which games should i get... just he battlechest? and start of there...? or can i get the first wow and MoP? or do you have to have all the expansions to install that game ??

Yes. Trial first with a free download. This will take you to level 20 I think. Then, buy the Battlechest, which will get you the game, plus the first two expansions for $19.99. Then get the Cataclysm xpac for $29.99 and finally the Panderia xpac for $39.99.

Someone mentioned the Battlechest on Amazon or something for $7.99. If you can find that deal, take it.

I have no idea how the Scrolls of Resurrection work. If that gets you the game plus first two xpacs for free, take it.

Battlechest only gets you BC, not Lich King