Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Impressions]

Comments

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

No Monthly Fee.

Free content updates every 2-3 months

Free seasonal content updates (Halloween, Wintersday, etc).

It's casual fun with less carrot on a stick approach then other mmos (Ascended gear being only exception).

Combat is easy to pick but hard to master (if you really try to synergize combos within your own class and other classes).

It has pvp, jumping puzzles, exploration, pve, quests, active content... etc etc.

There's a lot of thought put into design from combat, to ui, to functionality of everything else.

last but not least... i never feel "left behind" like in other mmos after not playing for a week, or month, or so.

I can play as little or as much as I want without ever feeling that my money is going to waste, because I don't have a monthly sub hanging over my head.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Aside from the obvious "it is your opinion". Are you really surprised given the extent of MMO quality recently? GW2 is a good game and is worth the money I paid for it, however MMO's have fallen from grace over the years thanks to money hungry companies.

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276

It's Def. not number 1 lol. If your going off of MMORPG.COM then I am sorry. The site itself tends to be a joke as it promotes any crap game out there. They will ban you for having any sort of opinion on a game if it doesn't suit their agenda. 

And the fact that its even up there you have to compare with whats out now.  Nothing.. There is literally nothing out right now original and innovative. 

6 People take a crap in the toilet and ask which is better. Well the once that floated of course. Either way its still crap.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Look at every other game on that list?

Can you blame them?

Gw2 got really boring fast for me too, but it is still the best game that has come out in the last year or 2.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by pauly6478

6 People take a crap in the toilet and ask which is better. Well the once that floated of course. Either way its still crap.

Best mmo analogy eva !!

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75

Best themepark mmo to date prolly.

But I got bored fast of gw2 too, after getting 3 lvl 80s with full exo and full map completion, there is little else to do than WvW and fractals. Not so much a fan of fractals and WvW is really pointless right now IMO :P

Though I have to say that arenanet always did a great job on holiday events like halloween and christmas (gw1 and gw2)

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Best mmo analogy eva !!

Man I wish I was as crazy as you thinking it's a good idea to spend my free time talking about crap.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by 1vald2

Best themepark mmo to date prolly.

But I got bored fast of gw2 too, after getting 3 lvl 80s with full exo and full map completion, there is little else to do than WvW and fractals. Not so much a fan of fractals and WvW is really pointless right now IMO :P

Though I have to say that arenanet always did a great job on holiday events like halloween and christmas (gw1 and gw2)

How do you get bored "fast" with three level 80's that have 100% map completion?  I would say you absolutely love the game if you lvled three to 80 and have 100% completion on them.

I like the combat and the fact that it's not a quest grinder.  The later zones in the game really saved the game for me, as the earlier zones seem to have too many boring ass hearts and not much difficulty.  I would say TSW was my number 1 for the year but it was really close with GW2.  Either way MMO's have a really long way to go to be captivating like the old school MMO's were.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    Who says it's the number 1 MMO?

ya who said that? its clearly not.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    If it's actually the #1 MMO, that is because of the people. That includes editors, bloggers, and normal players. Unfortunately, you don't probably appreciate what good things they found in this game, or its the case of what this game offers simply don't coincide with your expectations. A good example is how you benchmark your progress using your character level. At level 50 there are still skills and traits you haven't unlocked, but you're probably not interested in them. Also, map completion is actually a better benchmark of progress in this game, because leveling up is extremely easy it loses its value.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Jonoku

The problem is when someone say "Is it not? So which one is?".

You'll have loads of disagreement.

That is what happens with the MMORPG communities in general - it is easy to gather them to go criticize a game but not so easy to go praise an alternative.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

becouse its most fun of all the games when you play with friends

theres almost no grind unless you want legendary

so pure fun you get 4 of your friends and go play few hours a day

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Everyone is entitled to an opinion,  even if it is not based completely in rational thought. GW2 is a solid AAA MMO that deserves to be called one of the best of 2012 if not the best. It has a solid combat mechanic that is fun, challenging and hard to master at times. You have the option to weapon switch in combat to enhance your play style and in most classes enough options to play how you want. It did not discourage me that most of my weapon skills I can learn by level 20-30, because the combat and using those set skills made it interesting and challenging to play. I actually was happy that I did not need 5 hotbars loaded with skills to make my character feel playable! I have been saying for many years that the amount of skills and hotbars needed in an MMO was getting out of control.

By level 11 you get the option to further define your class and playstyle by carefully choosing your trait setup, along with the option to switch and unlock your slot skills all the up to elite at level 30. You can only use 5 slot skills at a time so you can change these out based on playstyle or situation which further defines your classs. On average that is 34 different options to define your class through slot skills, plus your trait points and trait slot options.

Adventuring in GW2 allows you to freely explore. If you want to jump into a plublic quest type area and help you can. If you want to take part in a dynamic event you can. There are no quest hubs like in WoW style play (THANK GOD). Many places if not almost every zone has voice acted quests, dynamic events, and even the most random NPC chit-chat voice acting I have seen in an MMO. The world is emersive and feels more alive than most MMOs. The landscapes are beautiful and invite you to explore. The crafting is fun and enjoyable, especially with the discovery system.

The PvP is not without complaints, but what I played of it so far was fun. There is so much to do and explore in this game that it seems sad that people say that they get bored with it after a few hours or days. After playing GW2 trying to plasy say a WoW or Rift type combat system made me wish for more out of those titles. 

Final word if you don't like the game stop playing and find something you like. I play many MMOs and try to be fair in each games intent to entertain. Some are just plain bad, but GW2 is NOT one of those games. 

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

That is what happens with the MMORPG communities in general - it is easy to gather them to go criticize a game but not so easy to go praise an alternative.

I guess I should clarify things, just because it isn't the number one mmo doesn't mean I'm gonna grab up all the flaws of the game and list them, I love the game rated it a 10/10 I just don't see it being number one at all. Me saying its not #1 MMO is an opinion, again, its not a bad thing, it is a bad thing if I were to say "GW2 sucks, no way.". I still play GW2 and I love it, but its not number one.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

GW2 is simply the best video game ever, IMHO.  It certainly has flaws (I wish we could hunt elite skills like in GW1), but overall I find it to be a lot of fun with a lot to do.

A lot to do....that's the kicker for some people.  This game is a GAME.  It's meant to be played casually just like any other game.  There are many people who seem to think an MMO is a second job and devote 40+ hours per week playing it.  No game in it's infancy can match that kind of play, if you want something new every 5 minutes.

I personally think there is a ton of stuff to do in the game.  I started off mainly exploring (not just map completion, but actually exploring) and doing my personal story.  I just finished my personal story last week and am now focusing on map completion and more exploration.  After that, I plan on doing more dungeons as I've barely done anything with those.  I also plan on getting more into WvWvW and possibly some sPvP, though that's not usually my thing.  In between that stuff - as in, when I get bored with those things after a little while - I'll work on crafting an alt characters.  Then when I get bored with that, I'll go back to the dungeons, etc.

I have barely done anything in terms of growing my guild and of course there is all the new stuff that Anet has been throwing at us, including the holiday stuff.

I haven't even mentioned jumping puzzles or grinding for legendaries.

I have found that if you play it like a game and actually take the time to look around and play with the story rather than just leveling as fast as possible, you'll find there is plenty to do.

Of course, if you just don't like the game mechanics, that's fine.  That type of thing is not for everyone and if it's not for you then, ok, go play something else.  But to say that there is nothing to do in the game, or too little to do, is disingenuous, IMO

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by QSatu
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Best mmo analogy eva !!

Man I wish I was as crazy as you thinking it's a good idea to spend my free time talking about crap.

Oh come on, you have almost 1600 posts here on MMORPG.com and you dont talk about crap?

(which is what most of these games are and where our time goes anyway when we play them, down the crapper :)

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

I guess I should clarify things, just because it isn't the number one mmo doesn't mean I'm gonna grab up all the flaws of the game and list them, I love the game rated it a 10/10 I just don't see it being number one at all. Me saying its not #1 MMO is an opinion, again, its not a bad thing, it is a bad thing if I were to say "GW2 sucks, no way.". I still play GW2 and I love it, but its not number one.

I wasn't saying you were criticizing the game.

Just the general tone of the thread.

Still, people don't say "GW2 is not the number one. IMO X is", I guess for understandable reasons.

But actually isn't hard to have GW2 (or the entire Guild Wars franchise) as favourite MMORPG - it is different than many MMORPGs in several ways. I can also see people claiming SWG or EVE as their favourite MMORPGs even though they aren't my type of game.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137
    As far as GW2 being #1, I could not get past the beta (I played about 30 minutes).  Did not find the game interesting or enjoy it at all.  Personally, it would not make my top 5 MMOs of all time.
  • langstondoglangstondog Member UncommonPosts: 20
    I don't think it's a burn your self out MMO but enjoy the ride.
  • slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I'd like to know that as well. I thought Age of Wushu was the most popular MMO in the world at the moment.

• MrEvilDrMrEvilDr Member Posts: 84
    As for the number 1 MMO, I'm just going by websites like IGN and mmorpg.com. The majority of websites I've checked have Guild Wars 2 at their number 1 spot. Although, I found Guild Wars 1 more gripping personally.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Since when GW2 is the Nº1 MMO?.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

the "No 1 MMO" is based off each individuals own opinion..

if it was based off of the industry,it would still be WoW.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Because alot of people do like it. Just because you have a negative opinion of something does not mean that other people don't have a positive opinion.
  • shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Just a question for thought.....if gw2 isn't the number 1 or even top 3 mmorpgs out then what current mmo is....and if you think another game is then y even think to try this game unless u weren't satisfied with what u had????? A lot of people enjoy gw2 and if u just look at forums u would think most hate it...but if u analyze the people names then u will realize its only about 30 or so people qqin lol
This discussion has been closed.