Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Wushu looks so crappy

apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168

Maybe the game mechanics are good or great. But the way it looks, upon logging in for the first time...wow what is this 2004??

Comments

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

And that's why Minecraft is so popular, the graphics.

AoW's graphics are fine.  I think it is a very pretty game.  Graphics are a trade off if you want more gameplay.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• esynthaesyntha Member UncommonPosts: 6

But here is the problem, where minecraft has alterable graphics (Texture packs) it atleast has compelling and indepth gameplay. I spent about 10 hours in age of wushu. The graphics were just about EQ1 well below EQ2, the game play was a mixture of World of warcraft meets Tera where it took the worst of both and slammed them together in a fireball. The "Flying" in the game was terrible with most of the jump abillities being unintuitive and not usefull, See that building over there? want to run up its wall and jump on its roof using your wall run abillity? Make a gamble with the jump gods cause there is a 75% chance that the invisible walls will knock you off or the jump will not execute.

The gameplay has fake depth, yes it offers many many styles that seem really cool but they all require EVE reminiscent  time periods to unlock and use, even then they are mostly just new look but not really different. It all feels like perfect world to me witch is a HORRIBLE feeling.

Oh and I paid money for Age of Wushu. I was super hyped and really really wanted to play it. Having played it, it destroyed my "omg new game" glasses and left only a lonely sadness.

Well when every gamer out there decides to get off their old 6 year computer to a newer system, then graphics can really start to make a major push.  But since so many people are still using winows XP, it is kind of hard to need to push for graphics.

Minecraft is simple enough for members of the community to provide their own textures, but they are all still low res until you mod the game to allow higher res textures. I'm willing to bet a large chunk of minecraft players enver change their textures.

For me a lot fo AoW's content involves PvP.  If you want to avoid PvP completely while playing this game you will run out of content very fast.  The guild's can own territory and fight over it. You can get caught off guard by a murderer at any second.  You can bounty hunt or protect other players.  There's so much you can do, but most of it involves PvP.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

When you have graphics as a 'end to justify the means' for gaming, I seriously feel sorry. Your missing out greatly if you feel graphics are the largest factor in making a game good or enjoyable.

That being said, I really don't see 'where' your getting that the game looks so crappy. It looks great to me. Then again maybe I'm far more accepting of graphics that I'm not so quick to jump at bashing the graphics of a game and can't notice anything bad about it to make me consider it 'crappy'.

• PheerMeehPheerMeeh Member Posts: 41

Game is pretty fun for me. Graphics are really nice too on max settings, so I don't know why you think its EQ1 graphics.

The game could use a good amount of more work, but for now it is quite nice. The world is quite big from what I can tell and combat is pretty decent. The controls feel a bit clunky right now since I'm still quite new to the game, but I imagine once I get more use to the combat it'll become more fluid. The game also has many interesting and unique features and it feels like an actual sandbox.. or at least for me it does. There are some parts that I could see becoming repetitive for me in the future, but we shall seeee.

Age of Wushu has a lot of potential; it'll be interesting to see where it ends up.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Set graphics on Ultra and it looks pretty good! i like the game, the combat is fun, it's sandbox, no levels, story line,group combat and nice animations. I'd like the combat to be a little more fast paced, but i think with the block feature and the jumping and flying it could be too messy if it were faster. I like the chinese setting aswell.

I'll be playing Age of Wulin (European version)

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Gameplay > Graphics..

Although I don't think they are as bad as you may speak of them, the graphics are clean for the most part and the game seems optimized to run on just about anything unlike another AAA release (cough, planetside 2, cough)..

The gameplay of this game (which happens to be quite a bit like EvE) is what would draw people in..

• vierklauwvierklauw Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by Caskio

And that's why Minecraft is so popular, the graphics.

AoW's graphics are fine.  I think it is a very pretty game.  Graphics are a trade off if you want more gameplay.

but gameplay feel bugged for a game where the gameplay is all,  look another martial game with nice gameplay moves combos and more and you will know what i say

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828
    Tried this out for a bit, I thought it looked decent enough and it has some interesting concepts, but the combat was dull as can be. The combat felt almost as bad as the combat in FFXIV.
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

After playing 2 weeks in Age of Wushu I find this game one of the most beautiful and graphically advanced MMORPGs on market. Better then Guild Wars 2, better then Archeage. Better then Age of Conan. Only TSW and TERA visuals rank higher in my list.

AoW world builders should be rewarded with some prestigious awards.

Originally posted by Ryukan
    Tried this out for a bit, I thought it looked decent enough and it has some interesting concepts, but the combat was dull as can be. The combat felt almost as bad as the combat in FFXIV.

Sure its "dull" when you played for 5 minutes. This how it looks like with leveled skills and when players know what they are doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW1scHmANSI

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

TSW has some of the best graphics out there. It played really bad at times. Same with swtor, same with rift, same with gw2, even same with PS2. 

Wushu runs great.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

After playing 2 weeks in Age of Wushu I find this game one of the most beautiful and graphically advanced MMORPGs on market. Better then Guild Wars 2, better then Archeage. Better then Age of Conan. Only TSW and TERA visuals rank higher in my list.

Sure its "dull" when you played for 5 minutes. This how it looks like with leveled skills and when players know what they are doing:

So good.

Those guys out in front of Chengu made realize I need to stick to murder.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • theocculttheoccult Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by Biskop
    Originally posted by esyntha

I spent about 10 hours in age of wushu. The graphics were just about EQ1 well below EQ2, the game play was a mixture of World of warcraft meets Tera where it took the worst of both and slammed them together in a fireball.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Check out this video that shows comparison between low and high settings in AOW.  Mind you this guy's listed system specs aren't even the best by today's standards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSzWn4bREkE

Also, if anyone's game doesn't look anywhere close to this, you either need to change your in game settings, or upgrade your system:

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142

With the amount of depth the game has - I.e. 8 different schools, all the "manufacturing" and gathering skills as well as the different types of quests (spying, kidnapping), the fact that you can actually GOTO JAIL for breaking the law, the pvping, being able to have a house, build a guild fortress, I'd say the game has almost too much depth.  

With that being said, the concepts are completely new to the western market, and I can understand why someone would get frustrated thinking they were doing a lot of running around for nothing.  

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by esyntha

But here is the problem, where minecraft has alterable graphics (Texture packs) it atleast has compelling and indepth gameplay. I spent about 10 hours in age of wushu. The graphics were just about EQ1 well below EQ2, the game play was a mixture of World of warcraft meets Tera where it took the worst of both and slammed them together in a fireball. The "Flying" in the game was terrible with most of the jump abillities being unintuitive and not usefull, See that building over there? want to run up its wall and jump on its roof using your wall run abillity? Make a gamble with the jump gods cause there is a 75% chance that the invisible walls will knock you off or the jump will not execute.

The gameplay has fake depth, yes it offers many many styles that seem really cool but they all require EVE reminiscent  time periods to unlock and use, even then they are mostly just new look but not really different. It all feels like perfect world to me witch is a HORRIBLE feeling.

Oh and I paid money for Age of Wushu. I was super hyped and really really wanted to play it. Having played it, it destroyed my "omg new game" glasses and left only a lonely sadness.

Eq1 gfx? you must be trolling or never played EQ1 and you are just guessing.  Don't get me wrong, EQ1 its my favorite MMORP of all time but AOW has way better grafics. 

Anyhow Gameplay>GFX anytime.

I like AOW deep gameplay and mechanics and gfx are just fine. What worries me its the cash shop.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

The big problem for me is the UI. But overall looks are everything.

I wouldn't play the best game ever, if the graphics sucked (and everyone here agrees, or they would go play UO or some oldschool MMO, instead of complaining about lack of oldschool MMOs)

However, if the game had next gen graphics, but terrible gameplay...I would still have a lot of fun with it because the graphics would be so good.

But Wushu's biggest problem is the UI. It is one of the worst UIs and control system I've ever played in a modern MMO. Heck, older MMOs like UO and Asheron's Call have better UI and controls and they are ancient...

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276

Gameplay, content > graphics 

/end thread

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

AOW might have issues (I haven't played it personally but I have seen it run on a few rigs) but the graphics are not one of them.

Some of the stuff looks stunning on an average gaming rig.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

The big problem for me is the UI. But overall looks are everything.

I wouldn't play the best game ever, if the graphics sucked (and everyone here agrees, or they would go play UO or some oldschool MMO, instead of complaining about lack of oldschool MMOs)

However, if the game had next gen graphics, but terrible gameplay...I would still have a lot of fun with it because the graphics would be so good.

But Wushu's biggest problem is the UI. It is one of the worst UIs and control system I've ever played in a modern MMO. Heck, older MMOs like UO and Asheron's Call have better UI and controls and they are ancient...

Funcom is going out of business and both of their games - AoC and TSW had some of the best graphics in the market.  You also contradicted yourself, as while UO and Asheron's call are ancient, they're still in business, and still paid subscription to boot.  Ok so AoW could make their minimaps adjustable as well as having waypoints, but those are minor fixes as well as the invisible walls on structures.  

Let's also recognize that the game is still technically in Beta. 

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166

how the hell does THAT look like EQ1 graphics???? please OP go upgrade your crappy 10 year old PC and get into the real world of PCI-E cards....

• apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168

For all those people that argue that graphics don't make the game. Well if the graphics are shit, or unorganized and not cosmetically appealling, most of the game players (who very much appreciate well planned out graphics) will not like the game.

And its not really the graphics, the graphics are okay. Its the fact that you log in to the game world and see 500 million name tags on your screen. I remembered that back in the early 2000s for mmos. Usually asian mmos or mmos that are rushed during development have that sort of name tagging. In my eyes it looks so ugly like that. I downloaded AOW and as soon as i saw all those name tags all scattered about my screen i logged off. Uninstalled and deleted the RAR file.

Waste of bandwidth

**EDIT

And for the future posters who will say turn off the name tags, i say: that will be very confusing to play without knowing which NPC or player you are talking to. First impressions are very important in anything, the first impression I got after see all those name tags wasn't good.

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

I'm probably in the minority then, to think that video of PvP was terrible and not very engaging. But again, to those that like it, it's all good. You guys like what you like, as do I.

I just made this comment to share my opinion on the matter. And my opinion is that video of PvP isn't very....impressive. To me anyway.

Originally posted by apb2011

For all those people that argue that graphics don't make the game. Well if the graphics are shit, or unorganized and not cosmetically appealling, most of the game players (who very much appreciate well planned out graphics) will not like the game.

And its not really the graphics, the graphics are okay. Its the fact that you log in to the game world and see 500 million name tags on your screen. I remembered that back in the early 2000s for mmos. Usually asian mmos or mmos that are rushed during development have that sort of name tagging. In my eyes it looks so ugly like that. I downloaded AOW and as soon as i saw all those name tags all scattered about my screen i logged off. Uninstalled and deleted the RAR file.

Waste of bandwidth

**EDIT

And for the future posters who will say turn off the name tags, i say: that will be very confusing to play without knowing which NPC or player you are talking to. First impressions are very important in anything, the first impression I got after see all those name tags wasn't good.

You can turn off select nametags, even NPC only tags can be turned off.  If you are lumping in player's nametags, this is usual for MMOs that don't use instancing.  Sot he nametags don't bother me at all. You must be used to the more recent MMOs that only allow 20 people in a single zone. :P

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

Graphics aside, I found age of Wushu too contrived and not that entertaining.

It has really good concepts - eve like skill progression, lots of talents and schools to choose from, interesting pvp additions, but the actual gameplay, the fights, the auto path finding option, the constant gifts for staying logged in and other PWI like oddities made me want to quit after a while, simply because it didn't feel like a brutal PVP game like Eve, it felt like another Chinese p2w grinder (with grind being staying online if you're on a free account)

It would have been a lot better if they removed all these little icons from the UI and simplified a few things as well.

Instead, they chose to cram a huge amount of useless junk on your screen, add a few money making tools and charge 30$ for an unifished product with an excuse of "you get to play as much as you want" which is basically what it will be like in 2 months anyway.

In other words, I think it's a bit of a money scam, not a game

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166

So your saying Age of Wushu's graphics r like these below?

Age Of Wushu

Everquest

srry but i think you need to open your eyes...games graphics r fine. Go play on consols....

This discussion has been closed.