Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Controversy: Angry Joe at it again!

SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

For those who don't know, Angry Joe has a show on Youtube where he honestly reviews games without bias.  Now, a few days ago, I was outed as a fan on the GW 2 thread about him on this site.  Anyway, in his newest video, he covers the biggest controversies in gaming for 2012.

At 17:45, he kind of knocks himself for making some bad moves, but then he exposes what gamers have suspected for a long time:  Bias and kickbacks in gaming journalism.  Check out the full video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54s_jyjMUxY&list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ&index=1

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Comments

• imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104
    It was great, thanks for sharing, loved the corrupt / bribed journalism part.
  • MoutonDocileMoutonDocile Member Posts: 17
    He's actually quite interesting when he calms down. Thank you for sharing.
  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

Well, at first I was going to post something to the effect of 'wtf is with this Angry Joe crap' etc...

but i decided to watch first instead, glad I did. While I'm not a fan of the angry part, Joe does make some good points and writes about many things I wasn't aware of. Glad i had the opportunity to hear, and now can further research.

Thanks for sharing.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Now I am just reminded of some things I disagree with AJ...one of them is his rage over Bayonetta WiiU. After hearing the dev's  reason, I find it completely understandable that Bayonetta 2 is now a WiiU exclusive. I understand Bayonetta fans raging over this, but they have no right to rage at the developers, calling them names and stuff.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Not much of a fan of Angry Joe, not because I dont like him. Its because he tends to cover console reviews which I have no problem with, but which I have no intrest in.

This was one of his better episodes. And Im glad as a super huge fan of gaming, which he obviously is, he understands what takes priority.

Lots of respect from me for understanding that.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I enjoy this angry joe guy.  Good stuff. 
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    It was a great video. I didn't know about the ARMA developers being locked up as it's outside the type of game I typically follow and play. The gaming journalism segment does make you think too.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Who? Just another annoying Youtube gamer again.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Joe puts on a pretty good show, and his taste in gaming is fairly similar to mine, so his reviews are fairly apt in my opinion. His segment on the ARMA 3 developers was surprising. I really hope he helps to bring more exposure to the disgraceful actions of the greek government.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    It was a great video. I didn't know about the ARMA developers being locked up as it's outside the type of game I typically follow and play. The gaming journalism segment does make you think too.

It was in the news here, maybe because we're in central Europe as well. I mean not only in the gaming news, in the "regular" one as well, it was quite a big thing. I think it's good that AJ directs some more attention to the case.

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Once again Joe calls it right =)
  • EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    god the over-acting the fake rage and stupid amount of screaming i barely made it through that video. I understand him being angry is his gimmick, but that was just brutal.
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

I don't care for this type of thing, but I like the Angry Joe show; I can't even explain why, there is just something about it.

Regarding the state of journalism in gaming, well I would just call it "journalism". It works the same way for Sports, Politics, and the Entertainment industry.  Want to have your access to the industry professionals cut off?  Then ask too many uncomfortable questions.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by tixylix

who makes 6 figures $$ a year by making videos on Youtube. :P

Enjoy his stuff but don't totally agree with the bias rant.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by tixylix

Geoff Keighley, I presume?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

Angry Joe rarely misses with his reviews/thoughts (GW2 being one glaring exception), so I generally value his opinion.

I've heard/read about this Mountain Dew/Doritos stuff before (was featured PROMINENTLY in virtually every gaming news outlets), but liked Angry Joe's take on it in this video.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I have the greatest respect for AngryJoe. Even tho I do not always agree.

He is honest, he is entertaining, he marks opinion as opinion and fact as fact. I think he does a great job, and he seems like a person with integrity, though that's just assumption based on intuition.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I don't agree with him. Look at MMORPG.com, no bias and even if there are ads, MMORPG.com still makes great reviews for that game. Too many Youtubers are so negative and hate every game. But sites like MMORPG.com, Gamespot and PCgamer can really be trusted. I listen to everything they say. Even if they are more positive and enjoy games more than most people, doesn't mean they are "bought" by the game company. These sites even ban people who post anything negative, so they can keep a positive atmosphere on their site and forums. This is a great way to run a site, and it keeps people enjoying and buying games.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Now I am just reminded of some things I disagree with AJ...one of them is his rage over Bayonetta WiiU. After hearing the dev's  reason, I find it completely understandable that Bayonetta 2 is now a WiiU exclusive. I understand Bayonetta fans raging over this, but they have no right to rage at the developers, calling them names and stuff.

Sure but to play devils advocate, they wouldn't have been put in the position to have their game funded by Nintendo  for a sequel if the game had flopped. It didn't because people supporting them on the OTHER consoles. I played the game and enjoyed it and have no intentions of buying another system just to play the game. To me this is an example of going hollywood and nobody made them take the free ride with the huge restrictions and cop out claims of bringing the title to a larger audience. So I agree with AJ although I am not upset. I just agree with his take on the subject, not the reaction. As for fans, they have every right to rage about it because they are the ones who made the game a success and now they are denied.

While I don't seek his stuff out on youtube, I have yet to be dissapointed in any of his stuff. His over reacting and rage are what makes it entertaining to some. Some will find him annoying and to them I say lighten up and take it for what it is.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• OldbugssOldbugss Member UncommonPosts: 22
    What? We can make a difference sometimes?