Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Impressions]

I played this for a while with a couple of friends and got to about level 50, and got extremely bored. But that's just me, my attention span for MMOs is very low as I've played so many. Guild Wars was a different and welcomed change to the traditional MMO, but I don't think it deserves the number one spot in any way.

After 50 levels I'd unlocked all of the skills I was ever going to use in the game. From then on I was simply killing enemies with said skills. At the start, the idea of changing skills depending on what weapons you have equipped was awesome! But then I came to realise after playing the game that I'd be stuck with these same skills until the end-game, which caused me to just lose interest and give up on the game. I was quite glad about it really, after finding out that the game has no real end-game content to speak of, and many people found the just hit a brick wall. I tried WvWvW and loved it! But after a while it became a bit monotonous, much like the skill system.

Rerolling and trying new characters didn't appeal to me... I'd played the classes I was interested in and still got bored of that. Levelling isn't what I'm interested in. I prefer competitive and challenging raid-type instances and a variety of skill sets to use. Guild Wars 1 did this perfectly in my opinion! I had a different set of skills for different occasions, with "Elite" skills I could unlock by completing certain objectives.

I really don't feel I got my monies worth for this game having played only 25 hours. I started of fun, and got grindy (Which I thought is what were trying to prevent?) Why is it at the top spot on most websites?!

[mod note - changed title to be less potentially inflammatory and better reflect the OP]

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

You have your opinion.

I have mine.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Cause it's fun.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    probably because it's better than competing products.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Who says it's the number 1 MMO?
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by MrEvilDr

I played this for a while with a couple of friends and got to about level 50, and got extremely bored. But that's just me, my attention span for MMOs is very low as I've played so many. Guild Wars was a different and welcomed change to the traditional MMO, but I don't think it deserves the number one spot in any way.

After 50 levels I'd unlocked all of the skills I was ever going to use in the game. From then on I was simply killing enemies with said skills. At the start, the idea of changing skills depending on what weapons you have equipped was awesome! But then I came to realise after playing the game that I'd be stuck with these same skills until the end-game, which caused me to just lose interest and give up on the game. I was quite glad about it really, after finding out that the game has no real end-game content to speak of, and many people found the just hit a brick wall. I tried WvWvW and loved it! But after a while it became a bit monotonous, much like the skill system.

Rerolling and trying new characters didn't appeal to me... I'd played the classes I was interested in and still got bored of that. Levelling isn't what I'm interested in. I prefer competitive and challenging raid-type instances and a variety of skill sets to use. Guild Wars 1 did this perfectly in my opinion! I had a different set of skills for different occasions, with "Elite" skills I could unlock by completing certain objectives.

I really don't feel I got my monies worth for this game having played only 25 hours. I started of fun, and got grindy (Which I thought is what were trying to prevent?) Why is it at the top spot on most websites?!

SWTOR was awarded Game of the Year by some sites last year.

These awards and ranks mean nothing and change at every themepark release every few months. Know what games should get awards and high rankings, games like EVE and WOW who remain unaffected by these semi-annual cash grab releases.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    It's great casual fun.
  • NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    GW2 compared to todays MMOs is actually the supreme winner- and I dont even find GW2 enjoyable (though its systems are better than the competetors)
  • NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

Perhaps the first question to answer is whether you even like MMO's, since the same criticisms get leveled against most of them.

GW2 has flaws, but it is still the best MMO I've played. (And yes, I've played them since 2004.)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Everyone has their own opinion though I agree, I don't feel it would deserve to be called the "#1 MMO" since even going past what I don't like about it, it is filled with quite a bit of medocrety and issues it attempts to 'phase out' like farming is actually in the game, and in some degrees in much more severity then other games in terms of being far more restrictive on what works for lets say gold farming and tedious like the dungeon system which is very stingy on being 'smooth' without a decent group primarily composed of a good balance of damage/cc/support which even with it can be quite painful due to their complete reluctance of the traditional trinity instead which can make trash in particular painful. Biggest flaw being the combat system which I feel really tumbled quite far down for me in both being very fun and feeling very clunky.

Still, people can enjoy the game, everyone has their own taste for MMos. I just don't believe its anywhere near #1 MMO quantity. It doesn't excell much in any area, much of its novelty in what seems 'different' wearing out very quickly when you realize its just a sheep in wolve's clothing, looking different but in the end take off the outfit and its just another sheep.

It is not the worst MMO I played but by far it was probably the weakest one for me in terms of keeping me engaged or wanting to play more, specially for a AAA title.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
  • MrEvilDrMrEvilDr Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by Volkon

You have your opinion.

I have mine.

And I respect your opinion entirely, Volkon. I'm just curious as to what game features kept you (and many others) playing the game for 1,000+ hours? 

Originally posted by Purutzil

Everyone has their own opinion though I agree, I don't feel it would deserve to be called the "#1 MMO" since even going past what I don't like about it, it is filled with quite a bit of medocrety and issues it attempts to 'phase out' like farming is actually in the game, and in some degrees in much more severity then other games in terms of being far more restrictive on what works for lets say gold farming and tedious like the dungeon system which is very stingy on being 'smooth' without a decent group primarily composed of a good balance of damage/cc/support which even with it can be quite painful due to their complete reluctance of the traditional trinity instead which can make trash in particular painful. Biggest flaw being the combat system which I feel really tumbled quite far down for me in both being very fun and feeling very clunky.

Still, people can enjoy the game, everyone has their own taste for MMos. I just don't believe its anywhere near #1 MMO quantity. It doesn't excell much in any area, much of its novelty in what seems 'different' wearing out very quickly when you realize its just a sheep in wolve's clothing, looking different but in the end take off the outfit and its just another sheep.

It is not the worst MMO I played but by far it was probably the weakest one for me in terms of keeping me engaged or wanting to play more, specially for a AAA title.

Yeah this kind of what I'm getting at.. To me it just didn't compare to Guild Wars 1. It was more just the novelty and playing something slightly different from a traditional MMO.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game-shows/2012-gamebreaker-awards-show/

(do note this is viewers voting)

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by dlld

"Best MMO Music" The title track is the only track I would be able to remember if I heard it.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    It's not number 1, that accolade goes to Pirates 101, verifiable fact, anyone who disagrees is on the wrong forum.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    The combat feels like a moba but with free camera. So if you don't like the combat in mobas you will not like GW2.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by MrEvilDr

Originally posted by Volkon

You have your opinion.

I have mine.

And I respect your opinion entirely, Volkon. I'm just curious as to what game features kept you (and many others) playing the game for 1,000+ hours? 

Ah, now THAT'S a different question entirely!

For me, the first lure was the history. Simply being a huge GW1 fan drew me in. Then getting in, not only is the world gorgeous, the combat system hooked me... after about an hour. Yeah... it took a little to get used to, but once things started to click it really began to flow. Now I'm able to work on some of the real depths in the system to really get my mesmer (as shown above) to play how I like. Traits for example add a depth that allows me to play, using the same weapons as someone else, totally differently in my style. Add to that the self-sufficiency, the multiple aspects of skills that require you to use them at the right time as opposed to off cooldown for best effect, the variety of utilities, dodging, etc. and it's the most flowing combat system I've personally had the pleasure of playing. Then there's the dynamic world, where rather than some static quest giver standing in the same spot forever with a "!" floating over him you have things just... happen. Bang, you're suddenly under attack, or someone needs help, something started here, you touched something you shouldn't now there's a mini-boss chasing you... it feels more like a living world than any game to date in my experience. Then I got hooked on WvW. A LOT of those hours are spent in WvW having a blast. Then there's the dungeons, which I love, especially Fractals... such unique mechanics that always seem different based on party composition and the lack of set roles. Add the little things... the holiday events, the crafting which I like, the shared resources and non-competitive PvE, PvP when I choose to have it and not others... it all wraps up to me to be the ideal MMO released to date and #1 in my book.

Now, this is only me... others have different preferences. I did Eve Online for awhile and enjoyed the hell out of it even though it's drastically different from GW2. I spent some years with WoW as well and had fun for awhile until the monotony became too much of a job to fight through. Still a good game, I just outgrew it. So your mileage will vary... the things that appeal to me won't appeal to the next guy. But the fact that it's showing up as #1 for 2012 on many sites does show that it appeals to a lot of folks these days. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Anet's trophy case.

DEAL WITH IT  image

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

GW2 has it's problems.  IMO, replayability.  Once you reach 80, you're either PvPing or grinding to get a Legendary.  There isn't much beyond that.  Don't get me wrong, the ride to 80 was enjoyeable.  The story was entertaining (for me), and I do seriously love the dynamic events/content.  However, a game can't survive on that alone.  Even with the weapon swapping and different skills for each weapon; you get to a point where you're sticking with one.  In my case, as a Fire Elementalist; I stuck primarily to Staves.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion.  GW2 is a great game for the Casual player.  For the hardcore, non-pvper, there are better games out there.

Edit:  I will say this though, out of the non-subscription based games out there, GW2 wins hands down.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339
    oh so you unlocked all the skills you were ever going to use..and completely ignored trait building? That maybe the reason. Then again, you will still continue killing mobs no matter what. Just like in almost all mmos out there.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Number 11 in my MMORPG list
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

The problem with the traits is simple:  Certain ones are definitely worthwhile, the rest are bleh.  So while you can combine different traits with different builds, etc;  there are certain ones that you'll always take.  For example, 10% more fire damange, 10% more damange when the move is below 30% life, or 10% more damange when you're above 90% life.

As a DPSer, that makes sense.

Just saying :)

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281

In my own personal experience I find that the majority of MMO's fall in the 'bad' category, quite a few in 'medicore', and probably two hands worth in the 'good'.  GW2 for me falls firmly in the 'medicore', which is ashame cause GW1 is in my 'good' category. 

As for #1 game, far from it.  It is eye-candy with absolutely nothing interesting to say. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Number 1 mmo will always probably be some online poker :P

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by moosecatlol
    Originally posted by dlld

"Best MMO Music" The title track is the only track I would be able to remember if I heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlBvKzc8Odo - Fear not this night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRcKgiO2KVg - A land restored

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odnzyU9Yh0A - Scales of Issormir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBOv-W_aPjg - The Seraph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLgiYE6f4u4 - The Charr Triumphant

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by Maephisto

Anet's trophy case.

DEAL WITH IT  image

Who is Anet and what sport does she play to have so many trophies?Darts?Is she a big fat  lass that guzzles 12 pints of cider a night and is also a Manchester United supporter because I see their emblem near the cabinet?

In reply to OP arenanet said endgame starts at level 1 so I realised the game wasn't for me after BW2 and got a refund.Also people who say 'maybe you don't like MMO's?' are just stupid,people are sick of the crap that passes as one today.to the masses at least not to people who want challenge in their play.

This discussion has been closed.