Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FLOATING WEAPONS: Why are we still dealing with the primitive way weapons are holstered?

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Why are we still dealing with the primitive way weapons are holstered? While graphics and detail continue to increase, we still seem to be stuck with this "floating sword" laziness. What's really amusing is the fact that an old game like Nintendo 64's Zelda (late 90s) can do it just fine, whereas a post-2011 MMO title cannot.

The first MMORPG that I've really seen a holstered weapon work was in the Age of Conan Beta: AoC Beta Sword Sheath Video - It looked and worked great. However, it was scrapped because of clipping issues via character sizes etc.

I understand the concern for graphical clipping. However, there are other ways to make this work. For instance, having two 3D models of each weapon (one that is shealthed or holstered and one that is not). Moreover, it's not completely necessary to have a character animation that holsters the weapon. Aion had a unique way that transferred a soldier's weapon to his back without any character animations at all. It worked.

I think that it's time to get rid of "floating weapons".

STUPID

COOL

STUPID

COOL

STUPID

FRICKEN' COOL

Comments

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193

Foating weapons cost less to model and animate. Also the more detailed things are more the game will lag with alot of people around.

So Cost and Performance are the reason.

Why does Planetside 2 have GTA style "pull ot of your ass " system? Performance.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

You could use your imagination. Say the character's backs or the weapons themselves are sticky. That is why they can be carried around like that.

EDIT: In any case, not even close to a game breaking or making feature.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    2X more time spent on the sheath portion of weapon development time please. Other issues are of less importance!
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Honestly, this is such a non-issue for me. I don't spend a ton of time staring at my character and how their weapon is sheathed. Hell, their weapon is out most of the time whacking on stuff.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Because its more important to add other features like integrated Facebook and Twitter and /pizza into games that it is to have your weapon shealth to your body correctly

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Because take every weapon in the game and add +1 for every.single.one to create a model/texture for the sheathed version.

Well, you "could" cheat and have every 1H sword look the same when sheathed for example and reduce the workload by a whole hell of a lot, but people would complain about that too.

Would it be unrealistic to create maybe 3-4 sheathed models/textures for each weapon type?

I don't think so.

But when so many weapons have different handles as well as shaped blades.... you see the problem.

Damned if you do - damned if you don't.

It works in the Zelda example because EVERY player of Zelda has the same sword...

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Quirhid

You could use your imagination. Say the character's backs or the weapons themselves are sticky. That is why they can be carried around like that.

EDIT: In any case, not even close to a game breaking or making feature.

All I know is this:

When I was playing the first AoC Beta (when sheaths were in), I was impressed with my character. It made my character look 100% richer and 1000% more realistic.

Your character is on your screen nearly the entire time. Why should this be void?

Originally posted by BadSpock

Because take every weapon in the game and add +1 for every.single.one to create a model/texture for the sheathed version.

Well, you "could" cheat and have every 1H sword look the same when sheathed for example and reduce the workload by a whole hell of a lot, but people would complain about that too.

Would it be unrealistic to create maybe 3-4 sheathed models/textures for each weapon type?

I don't think so.

But when so many weapons have different handles as well as shaped blades.... you see the problem.

Damned if you do - damned if you don't.

It works in the Zelda example because EVERY player of Zelda has the same sword...

It shouldn't be hard to copy the hilt from a sword and place on a sheath. I don't care if there is only 1 sheath model, so long as there is at least something.

Originally posted by colddog04
    2X more time spent on the sheath portion of weapon development time please. Other issues are of less importance!

This type of response is just sassy. With this logic, why bother spending time to add different hair styles, facial details, or deeper character customization options?

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

hope you know 2 of the games are from 2004, while talking about post 2011 games...

either way am all for details, this topic just havent really been something that have bothered me so far though....and looking at the replies so far, I guess there is your answer to why developers doesnt do it

Originally posted by mmoDAD

This type of response is just sassy. With this logic, why bother spending time to add different hair styles, facial details, or deeper character customization options?

You're right. 4X more time should be spent on hair styles.

Originally posted by Hedeon

hope you know 2 of the games are from 2004, while talking about post 2011 games...

either way am all for details, this topic just havent really been something that have bothered me so far though....and looking at the replies so far, I guess there is your answer to why developers doesnt do it

I thought the same thing until I experienced it in the AoC beta. Since then, I've been yearning for it. It's like the first time you taste chocolate or something...

Moreover, most of the replies here are from people who do nothing but complain. The forum is a game for them - a port to vent.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    I agree with the OP because the sheathing laziness is just one of many things that bothers me about modern mmo's. This is the year 2013 and gaming tech is alot further along than 3/4 of the mmo devs are using. They need to step up if they want to earn my hard earned money in this economy. 

I thought the same thing until I experienced it in the AoC beta. Since then, I've been yearning for it. It's like the first time you taste chocolate or something...

Moreover, most of the replies here are from people who do nothing but complain. The forum is a game for them - a port to vent.

To me, it looks like you have nothing better to do than complain. You are complaining about something that seems so extremely trivial to me, it feels almost cartoonish. You may think you have some kind of higher ground on complaining about ridiculous features, but I assure you, your complaints are absolutely bargain basement complaints.

To me, it looks like you have nothing better to do than complain. You are complaining about something that seems so extremely trivial to me, it feels almost cartoonish. You may think you have some kind of higher ground on complaining about ridiculous features, but I assure you, your complaints are absolutely bargain basement complaints.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

True. A half eaten Big Mac in the trash is someone's treasure.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    I agree with the OP because the sheathing laziness is just one of many things that bothers me about modern mmo's. This is the year 2013 and gaming tech is alot further along than 3/4 of the mmo devs are using. They need to step up if they want to earn my hard earned money in this economy. 

I think there's a compromise between what's available technologically and what people are willing to spend money on to be able to run that tech.

I was thinking of Skyrim, which I'm currently playing. The clothes do not ~flow~. They're just hanging there. Same as with hair.

I know the tech is there because I've seen bits and pieces of this in other games, MMOs etc. But other areas suffer for it (shittier ground textures perhaps?)

So I'm not worried about floating weapons. It does look silly now that we've experienced so much, but it'll come. Patience.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Agree with op, bugs me too

MMMmmmmm Big Mac....

No in all seriousness I agree with the OP - MMOs have been sadly lacking in many of the immersive aspects most single players games have flourished with.

Is it the MMO genre as a platform? Such as technical limitations when building Massively Multiplayer worlds? Is it prioritization of other features?

There are still countless MMOs released without things like sitting in chairs, swimming, jumping... may not be important to others but to me it breaks the feeling of being a character in this world which is important in the MMO space.

If this means nothing to you, then why do you linger like a fart to stink up the discussion? If you aren't concerned with such add-ons, then move along and stop bumping the thread.

My goodness. lol.

For me, the weapon sheath is another great way to customize more of my character, e.g., changing the color of it or adding an emblem (like capes in some games). More is better. Stop acting like I'm asking to replace the importance of PvE / PvP with the development of weapon sheaths.

A great game will have it all.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Art detail is expensive, especially in large quantities as is required in an MMORPG.

Should we expect more from AAA games than what we're seeing?  Possibly.  But after five years with several less than postive releases, I wouldn't count on much.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

MMMmmmmm Big Mac....

No in all seriousness I agree with the OP - MMOs have been sadly lacking in many of the immersive aspects most single players games have flourished with.

Is it the MMO genre as a platform? Is it prioritization of other features?

There are still countless MMOs released without things like sitting in chairs, swimming, jumping... may not be important to others but to me it breaks the feeling of being a character in this world which is important in the MMO space.

Your interpretation of the problem is a false equivalence.

Sitting requires 1 animation across many models once. Sheathing requires many animations across many models many times.

I understand waning more RP-like features, but this is one that actually takes more effort than it's worth.

MMMmmmmm Big Mac....

Is it the MMO genre as a platform? Is it prioritization of other features?

Your interpretation of the problem is a false equivalence.

Sitting requires 1 animation across many models once. Sheathing requires many animations across many models many times.

I understand waning more RP-like features, but this is one that actually takes more effort than it's worth.

I (like others) would be 100% perfectly fine with shared animations / models for all weapons of a particular type.

But I like the more basic/realistic medieval models for weapons/armor in most games - not all the curvy made of crystal and/or on fire + 3x times normal size ones.

If this means nothing to you, then why do you linger like a fart to stink up the discussion? If you aren't concerned with such add-ons, then move along and stop bumping the thread.

My goodness. lol.

For me, the weapon sheath is another great way to customize more of my character, e.g., changing the color of it or adding an emblem (like capes in some games). More is better. Stop acting like I'm asking to replace the importance of weapon sheaths with PvE or PvP.

It's hilarious that you think your tiny complaint is more important than anything else. Actually, it fits with the compaint itself. Your version of what matters is what matters and all other opinions are invalid. Unless of course you agree.

You are the complainer that claimes everyone else is complaining.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    In the end what it comes down to is do you spend time on the sheathes or make more weapon models.