Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I kinda want a console MMO. Am I the only one?

blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

I'm actually looking forward to FFXIV for that reason. Part of me really wants an MMO that I can just kick back with a controller and play. Yeah, I know all the advantages of a mouse and keyboard, but I don't think too much would have to be sacrificed for a game which fully supports a controller. GW2 is pretty close to that, with the prompt for talking to NPCs and picking stuff up when you get near them, not to mention the tab-targeting. There would still be the issue of typing, but there are some options for that. Native voice in games is something that is getting talked about more and more, or there could just be a more intuitive interface for typing on a controller. Steam did something to that effect with its Big Picture mode. I'm not saying that all games should adapt for a controller; I'm just saying that I think I could really get into one that's designed with a controller in mind. Anyone else feel the same?

Comments

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

You can play Tera with a wired XboX controller, and I think you can with DCUO as well (on PC)... Just saying you don't have to wait for console MMORPG's

With that said I'm looking forward to seeing if Dragon Quest X online comes to the US, that could be an interesting WII U MMORPG.

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by Emeraq You can play Tera with a wired XboX controller, and I think you can with DCUO as well (on PC)... Just saying you don't have to wait for console MMORPG's With that said I'm looking forward to seeing if Dragon Quest X online comes to the US, that could be an interesting WII U MMORPG.

I tried out TERA in beta, and the controller options at that time weren't very good (as far as mapping and stuff was concerned, but maybe it's gotten better since), plus I just didn't really care for the game that much. I totally forgot about DCUO, despite actually playing it on my PS3. I've tried CoH, Champions Online and DCUO, but I've never been able to get into that sub-genre of MMO. Although, Marvel Heroes actually looks intersting to me, but I don't image that will be controller friendly.

I guess I should have been a little more specific with my stipulations. It would have to be a game that I'd want to play normally. FFXIV seems like something I could get into (though, I don't kow for sure). I was warned off on its original release, and I hear that they are using WoW as inspiration for the remake (which has me concerned that it's going to be another bad WoW clone), but we'll see. I mean, if I'm going to play a WoW clone, I might as well just play WoW. In fact, I'm surprised that haven't ported WoW to consoles. I heard that they are considering a console port for D3, and Blizz does love money.

• WreckoniingWreckoniing Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Undead labs class 4 will be a zombie mmo for the xbox 360, although they are bringing out there XBLA title "state of decay" first, I think we are in for a bit of a wait before developers realize the potential for a console mmo dude.
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Consoles have been hindering and slowing down technology progress in computer games already for a few years. They are also partially responsible for many computer games getting dumber, easier and shorter. Specially shorter.

MMOs have also been getting dumber easier and shorter as an indirect result of this mindset change in gamers and developers. Console MMOs will only accelerate the process, with newer MMOs beeing limited by console's inferior hardware.

I actually wish all console gaming failed big time, so we could have superior PC games. Unfortunately I am aware this won't happen. Beta was superior to VHS. Minidisk was superior to CD. You get the idea, don't you.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         I'll pass on any console MMO..  That is part of the issue I have now with gaming is that the devs have wanted to date the "console" gamer and their wallets.. It is why genre has changed over time, and not for the better in my opinion..  MMO gaming is starting to feel like arena football.. It's NOT FOOTBALL dammit.. lol
  • DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Final Fantasy XIV should have gone solely on the PlayStation 3 since it's really not made with the notion to be played on a PC but Square Enix must have thought that it would sell better as a PC game which is bull since it would have sold far more copies as a PS3 game than as a PC game.
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I've played SWTOR and GW2 with Xbox controller from day 1. Plug the controller, set up the keybinds via Xpadder or similar app and you're good to go.

I've heard some rumors that GW2 is getting controller support in 2013, but I'm not holding my breath on it. Also, you should check Defiance, upcoming cross platform third person MMORPG shooter.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by DancingQueen
    Final Fantasy XIV should have gone solely on the PlayStation 3 since it's really not made with the notion to be played on a PC but Square Enix must have thought that it would sell better as a PC game which is bull since it would have sold far more copies as a PS3 game than as a PC game.

FFXIV 1.0 was designed entirely for the PC in mind first, and then it was to be ported to the PS3.  Even with 2.0 that's still the case.  You'll get that moment soon enough to see how well it sells on PS3.  Thus far there have been somwhere between 700k-750k copies sold on PC.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

DCUO is on PS3 also.

I think most people deny the potential in a Console MMO because they know if a company makes a decent attempt it could open a flood gate to other devs going that route. This whole idea that "console gaming is why pc games are easy now" is a joke. 

I've said since it closed down if Everquest Online Adventures was ever upgraded to todays tech it would easily pull the same or more numbers then some of the top sub based MMO's out right now for pc. It was popular enough and lasted over 10 years and it was on the old ass Playstation 2. Imagine that type of game on a console like xbox or ps3 with pontentially millions of monthly users. It was still my favorite MMO ever and the experiences i had in EQOA havent been topped by any other game since. The first time you had to run a significant ammount of time to get to the next town. First time i played a game where it was as fun socially as it was game play wise. You could spend hours just crafting and chatting in Freeport.

The only negative to console mmo's are the life span of consoles. If they made consoles backwards compatible it wouldnt be an issue but i think at least in Sony's case you could no longer player older ps2/ps1 games on ps3's. At least last i tried i couldnt.

There is a shit ton of money to be made in the console market. Just look how much Call of Duty and Battlefield series pull on map packs alone. I have been waiting for a decent mmo for years. The FF Online for ps2 was good also but it never grabbed me like EQOA and to be honest i only bought it for the HDD it came with that was supposed to be a big deal for ps2 that was never even used really.

Originally posted by Khrymson

FFXIV 1.0 was designed entirely for the PC in mind first, and then it was to be ported to the PS3.  Even with 2.0 that's still the case.  You'll get that moment soon enough to see how well it sells on PS3.  Thus far there have been somwhere between 700k-750k copies sold on PC.

Play the game and you will see that it's really not suited to be played with a keyboard at all but with a console gamepad.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Play the game and you will see that it's really not suited to be played with a keyboard at all but with a console gamepad.

Doesn't matter either way. Both PS3 and PC users will be playing on the same servers in ARR. Everyones happy.

Originally posted by itbewilly

DCUO is on PS3 also.

Disconnect Unlimited Online?

Sorry, I'm not up on par with the abbreviations. /grins

I have played XIV, since 1.0 alpha and for the past 2 years while it was being redesigned.  And I played it entirely using the 'Keyboard' only, that which I prefered too. {the mouse was quite wonky at first}  Can't stand controllers!  Everyone has their preference and yes XIV was designed with a controller in mind too but that doesn't change the fact that it was designed for the PC first and then was to be ported to PS3. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

If it's about wanting to use a gamepad, then pick an MMORPG, plug in a gamepad, and try it.  Champions Online and Spiral Knights are pretty gamepad-friendly.  In Spiral Knights, I'd go so far as to argue that a gamepad gives you an advantage over keyboard+mouse.

Consoles are closed platforms, which is death to MMORPG gaming.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The memory and storage limitations of the current consoles means any mmo designed to run on them means making compromises on the pc version. Heavy use of instancing, lots of repeated assets and textures, smaller zone sizes etc..
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    There's a reason Sony released the heavily instanced dcuo on the ps3 but not the open world planetside 2, that reason is the ps3 can't handle it.
    Originally posted by itbewilly

DCUO is on PS3 also.

I think most people deny the potential in a Console MMO because they know if a company makes a decent attempt it could open a flood gate to other devs going that route. This whole idea that "console gaming is why pc games are easy now" is a joke. 

Easier and dumber. Specially dumber.

Name me one single console game with the depth and complexity of old PC games like VGA-Planets, Mechcommander or Civilization.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    There's a reason the us gov uses ps3's slaved yo make supercomputers.

Good in-depth games?

Fallout series
    Oblivion
    Anytime
    farcry
    ect.

The reason games seem dumber is not the consoles or pc, but the idiots behind them.
    Having both a kickass watercooled computer and a ps3, I must say, between the two, I do like sitting on my couch playing games on my 60 inch tv better.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Kinda yes and kinda no... 

I bought Assassins Creed 3 for ps3 so I could play on my 3d tv... the 3d sucked my ass and the game had some slow downs, etc. I then got a digital copy for my b-day for the PC. It ran soooo much better on my PC and looked outstanding due to the additional graphics options I could pump through my 7970.  Also, I'm playing it on the PC with my Xbox controller. It also looks nicer on my 27" monitor then the 55" tv. 

So, while I like the idea of gaming on my console, in practice, it ended up a better experience on my PC. Some of the more modern MMO's and even older ones like D&D online do support controllers. There are also programs you can use to map a controller to the games that don't. 

Originally posted by killahh
    There's a reason the us gov uses ps3's slaved yo make supercomputers.

Good in-depth games?

Fallout series
    Oblivion
    Anytime
    farcry
    ect.

The reason games seem dumber is not the consoles or pc, but the idiots behind them.
    Having both a kickass watercooled computer and a ps3, I must say, between the two, I do like sitting on my couch playing games on my 60 inch tv better.

All the games you listed have a PC version which is superior in graphics and modability, plus bugs get fixed faster.

Originally posted by killahh

You do know you can hook that supposedly kickass PC up to that 60in screen and still kick back on the couch with wireless control...

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I want an MMO specifically for consoles - not a 3rd rate port from the PC version (just like PC gamers (which I am too) very much hate the 3rd rate console ports).

It's always easy to tell if a game was made for PC then ported to console or vice versa.

I want an MMO specifially made and designed exclussively for console from a AAA dev studio.

-Fully optimized engine/network code for the platform (identical hardware is a + here)

-Integrated voice chat - I may be a MMO veteran but I'm sick of text box chat in MMOs or having to use Vent/TS

-Fully optimized control scheme

And yes, I've hooked my PC up to my TV and played with Mouse/Keyboard and yes I've hooked up a game controller and tried both first party game support (TERA) and 3rd party controller support (WoW) and if the game isn't designed for controller 100% it's just clunky.

Originally posted by gordiflu Consoles have been hindering and slowing down technology progress in computer games already for a few years. They are also partially responsible for many computer games getting dumber, easier and shorter. Specially shorter. MMOs have also been getting dumber easier and shorter as an indirect result of this mindset change in gamers and developers. Console MMOs will only accelerate the process, with newer MMOs beeing limited by console's inferior hardware. I actually wish all console gaming failed big time, so we could have superior PC games. Unfortunately I am aware this won't happen. Beta was superior to VHS. Minidisk was superior to CD. You get the idea, don't you.  

Wow... just wow. This argument again? If it not for the consoles, the gaming market would be much, much smaller; ergo, there would less money in the industry, and less money spent on technology advancement. Not only that, but even if you were right and consoles did nothing but hinder technology, there would still be a roof (not far from where we currently are). High-end computer hardware is expensive, both to manufacture and for consumers to buy. And the market for it wouldn't be big enough on its own without the software support driven by consoles. So no, it wouldn't be a super-happy gaming future without consoles. Not to mention that games are getting crazy-expensive. We're advancing too quickly as is, and developers can hardly keep their doors open because of development costs. Your argument stems from a microscopic view of high-end PCs being more powerful than consoles at the end of their cycle, and somewhat hindering graphical fidelity. However, most games which are multi-platform are designed to go beyond consoles... like all of them. I have a solid gaming PC and there are games that I can't run at max settings. For some reason, people seem to think that graphical advancement stops for the duration of each console cycle. It doesn't. Just compare any launch game with a game now.

Secondly, I really dislike the "dumbing down" phrase. It's usually just used by people who don't like something, but can't come up with any reasoning as to why. And the fact that you're blaming consoles for the "dumbing down" of a, nearly exclusive, PC genre is hilarious. There are plenty of "deep" games around, but you have to think about how much larger the industry is now. Games, as a whole, used to be pretty niche; and the fact is that you're not going to be able to market a ridiculously complicated game to a mass audience. It's always been that way. The only reason complicated games migrate to the PC is because of the installed base. Back in the 90's, during the PC boom, people realized that they could make almost any kind of game and instantly have some kind of audience. They didn't need mass appeal, because there are infinite-million people with PCs. It's not due to some mystical dumbing down pattern.

Lastly, games shouldn't be needlessly complicated. They should be designed to fit the intended experience. Many times "deep" mechanics just bog down the game or feel out of place, and senselessly increase the learning curve. Rainbow Moon is a perfect example of this. There's nothing wrong with a game that's inherently simple, and this elitist attitude that there is, irritates me. There are still plenty of over-complicated games out there, so there's no need to complain about the contrary. The notion that console gamers can infect the glorious PC master race is pretty laughable.

Originally posted by DeniZg I've played SWTOR and GW2 with Xbox controller from day 1. Plug the controller, set up the keybinds via Xpadder or similar app and you're good to go. I've heard some rumors that GW2 is getting controller support in 2013, but I'm not holding my breath on it. Also, you should check Defiance, upcoming cross platform third person MMORPG shooter.

I have Xpadder (it's a great program), and I've played several MMOs with a controller, including Rift and GW2. Yeah, it works, but it's far from perfect, and it takes a lot of time to setup. Plus, there are always issues. For instance, in GW2, there is a slight delay for when you right-click the mouse to move the camera before the cursor disappears. That was actually a huge problem. I had to redesign my configuration and even download another third-party program to get around that. Yes, there are options now, but it would be nice if there was a good interface for a controller.

Originally posted by blognorg

Originally posted by gordiflu Consoles have been hindering and slowing down technology progress in computer games already for a few years. They are also partially responsible for many computer games getting dumber, easier and shorter. Specially shorter. MMOs have also been getting dumber easier and shorter as an indirect result of this mindset change in gamers and developers. Console MMOs will only accelerate the process, with newer MMOs beeing limited by console's inferior hardware. I actually wish all console gaming failed big time, so we could have superior PC games. Unfortunately I am aware this won't happen. Beta was superior to VHS. Minidisk was superior to CD. You get the idea, don't you.  

Wow... just wow. This argument again? If it not for the consoles, the gaming market would be much, much smaller; ergo, there would less money in the industry, and less money spent on technology advancement. Not only that, but even if you were right and consoles did nothing but hinder technology, there would still be a roof (not far from where we currently are). High-end computer hardware is expensive, both to manufacture and for consumers to buy. And the market for it wouldn't be big enough on its own without the software support driven by consoles. So no, it wouldn't be a super-happy gaming future without consoles. Not to mention that games are getting crazy-expensive. We're advancing too quickly as is, and developers can hardly keep their doors open because of development costs. Your argument stems from a microscopic view of high-end PCs being more powerful than consoles at the end of their cycle, and somewhat hindering graphical fidelity. However, most games which are multi-platform are designed to go beyond consoles... like all of them. I have a solid gaming PC and there are games that I can't run at max settings. For some reason, people seem to think that graphical advancement stops for the duration of each console cycle. It doesn't. Just compare any launch game with a game now.

Secondly, I really dislike the "dumbing down" phrase. It's usually just used by people who don't like something, but can't come up with any reasoning as to why. And the fact that you're blaming consoles for the "dumbing down" of a, nearly exclusive, PC genre is hilarious. There are plenty of "deep" games around, but you have to think about how much larger the industry is now. Games, as a whole, used to be pretty niche; and the fact is that you're not going to be able to market a ridiculously complicated game to a mass audience. It's always been that way. The only reason complicated games migrate to the PC is because of the installed base. Back in the 90's, during the PC boom, people realized that they could make almost any kind of game and instantly have some kind of audience. They didn't need mass appeal, because there are infinite-million people with PCs. It's not due to some mystical dumbing down pattern.

Lastly, games shouldn't be needlessly complicated. They should be designed to fit the intended experience. Many times "deep" mechanics just bog down the game or feel out of place, and senselessly increase the learning curve. Rainbow Moon is a perfect example of this. There's nothing wrong with a game that's inherently simple, and this elitist attitude that there is, irritates me. There are still plenty of over-complicated games out there, so there's no need to complain about the contrary. The notion that console gamers can infect the glorious PC master race is pretty laughable.

Star Citizen´s extremelly successful crowdfunding campaign, openly saying that it's going to be computers only, and not any computer but a beast of a computer, invalidates pretty much all your wall of text.