Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favorite game(s) you bought this year? - Plus other questions

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

So, I'm curious to see the general census around here. And do note, it doesn't have to be a game RELEASED this year...but one you bought this year. Sites like GOG and other places sell older games, so its only fair to include them (if any of you bought from there and enjoyed the games)

And also, this isn't for every game you bought...just your favorites

-What are your favorite game(s) you bought this year? 

-Were they for PC, console or a mix of both? 

-What genre were they in? (strategy, rpg, mmo...etc...)

-What do you think was the best game company this year?

-If bought digital, what store did you buy from most (steam, amazon, GOG...etc)

I'll answer my own questions

Favorite games bought this year (not in any particular order)

RPG

-Darklands (GOG)

-Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 complete (GOG)

Strategy

-Europa Universalis III Chronicles (Steam, and this is my overall favorite game I bought this year. Got it for 10 or so dollars, and have played this more than any other game this year. Amazing strategy game)

All for PC, and genres were listed above.

Favorite game company this year is a tough one. But I like what SOE has done with their freemium MMOs, and at the very least, attempted to restore Vanguard. Turbine is great for restoring Asheron's Call 2...but too early to say what they plan to do with it. Can't really think of any other company off the top of my head that isn't a non-mmo company. There is Bethesda, and while they are still doing DLCs for Skyrim...that feels more like they would be better listed in a 2011 census thread, than a 2012 one.

Favorite digital store is probably GOG...I found them earlier this year and have used them quite a bit. Steam would be up there...but they obviously don't check the games before putting them on their store. I used Steam more than GOG...but overall, GOG wins for me.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Humm, favorite non MMO games this year.

Borderlands 2 (awesome coop and a  great follow up) xbox360

Mass Effect 3 (just awesome multiplayer with friends) xbox 360

Torchlight 2 (had more fun solo than coop) PC

XCOM (a fun update of an old classic) PC

Kingdoms of Amalur (enjoy combat more than story) ps3

I also played two MMOs quite a bit (actually played more but favorites below) 

Rift (new expansion is really nice / most of my guildies are playing this)

SWToR (just a great community / fun with family and friends)

I tend to buy my games from either Amazon (consoles) or STEAM (PC). I like GOG but they carry mostly older games.  

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Well, for PC it'd have to be:

XCOM EU (Strategy) : Nearly perfect reboot of the classic. Different mechanics, but I found the game's spirit and tension were captured quite well on the appropriately named Classic difficulty =)

Borderlands 2 (Shooter) : I was surpised I enjoyed this so much. Vastly superior to Borderlands 1 in almost every way without drastically changing its playstyle. IMO, it's how sequels should be.

Orcs Must Die 2 (Uh... action/tower defense?) : A lot of fun in coop. Nightmare mode is insanely hectic in an extremely fun way. Even my gf who prefers easier difficulties really enjoyed the ramped up Nightmare.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer (Shooter/RPG) : I was very disappointed in its single player, but its MP turned out very addicting to me for quite a few months, despite the atrocious bugs that cropped up. Eventually stopped playing as I got tired of having to contact Origin support monthly as I kept getting the "You must buy an online pass" bug, but the gameplay design decisions for this were pretty solid (I'd return to playing if it got new modes, though!).

For 360:

Gears of War 3 (Third-person shooter) : Actually, this is the only game game i bought for consoles this year, minus a few PS Classics for my Vita. Spent a good amount of time playing Horde mode with randoms, and had a good bit of fun on that. Never beat all 50 waves with pugs, highest wave I ever got to was 49 (everyone left when we had our first full wipe of the entire run on that wave -- guess they were just tired :P)

As for digital stores, Steam and Amazon take the cake for most purchases. GOG's the only other place I buy digital from, but it's not as often. Though I'm keeping an eye on Desura =)

No opinion on favorite company.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

-What are your favorite game(s) you bought this year?

WoW - MoP, GW2 and Ultima Online

-Were they for PC, console or a mix of both?

Pure PC gamer here.  Have a Wii that I use for fitness

-What genre were they in? (strategy, rpg, mmo...etc...)

MMORPG

-What do you think was the best game company this year?

ArenaNet.

-If bought digital, what store did you buy from most (steam, amazon, GOG...etc)

BestBuy

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84

Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2, both ARPGs, both on PC, both on Steam.

Gearbox software is my developer of the year, (even though I like TL2 a bit better than BL2, I think Gearbox had greater success than Runic). 

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Guild Wars 2 and Torchlight 2 were my two best purchases.
  • spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3. Pc only. Highlight of this year for me was the Mass Effect 3 controversy and fan pressure to change the ending. Was happy with the original myself but the new  stuff made it even better for me. Mmorpg wise def The Secret world. Anybody who thinks GW2 is an inovative game compared to this bad boy no matter how boring it gets is very litteraly tripping balls.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by spookydom
    Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3. Pc only. Highlight of this year for me was the Mass Effect 3 controversy and fan pressure to change the ending. Was happy with the original myself but the new  stuff made it even better for me. Mmorpg wise def The Secret world. Anybody who thinks GW2 is an inovative game compared to this bad boy no matter how boring it gets is very litteraly tripping balls.

I like TSW, but there is nothing innovative about it. Conversely, GW2 does about 4 things that are innovative.

You might want to check the definition of innovation.  

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I disagree that TSW is not innovative and GW2 is however this is not the thread for it and i wont derail it.

For what i bought this year that was a favorate.

TSW - MMO rest is obvious

SSX - PS3 - I donno Sports?

WWE13 (until i got a barrage of Bugs) PS3.

Boarderlands 2 - PS3 - Shooter.

Honestly im not that much of  a sports game fan however half my favorates this year land on sports. SSX is on top tied  with TSW. SSX i can play whenever i want and really enjoy the game. With TSW i generally gotta wait till my Cabal logs in since i HATE pugging. 

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

*** Eador Genesis ****

Very cheap From GoG.com store.

Finally a game that surpass Master of Magic, Age of wonders, HOMM, Dominions, Civilization etc..

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I see a lot of people put borderlands 2, I got it in the steam sale, not having played the first one, but I just can't get into it, cant really see what the fuss us about.

Anyway mainstream - dishonoured, farcry 3, Torchlight 2
    Mmo - ps2 (gw2 and tsw were ok though, vast improvement on past few years mmos)
    Indie - fly'n, war of the roses, orcs must die 2, closure
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    As a side note. I would love it if bethseda looked at games like war of the roses and mount and blade when making tes 6. The melee combat would be so much better and also of course mounted combat.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

MMO :                 WoW:MoP

Lotro:RoH

Non-MMO PC:    XCOM

PS3:                   Assassin's Creed 3

Far Cry 3

CoD:Black Ops 2

Any Lego game.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

MMORPG: TSW, GW2

SP: Grimrock (oldschool dungeon), Eador (strategy), Defender's Quest (tower defense), FTL (scifi roguelike)

Favorite shop: GOG

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

And also, this isn't for every game you bought...just your favorites

-What are your favorite game(s) you bought this year?   Borderlands 2

-Were they for PC, console or a mix of both?    PC

-What genre were they in? (strategy, rpg, mmo...etc...)  The Awesome Genre :)

-What do you think was the best game company this year?     Ill go with Funcom. They released my 2nd fav game of the year and then took away thier sub.  That and IM too lazy too look up and cant remember who made BL2

-If bought digital, what store did you buy from most (steam, amazon, GOG...etc)   STEAM

I'll answer my own questions

Favorite games bought this year (not in any particular order)

RPG

-Darklands (GOG)

-Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 complete (GOG)

Strategy

-Europa Universalis III Chronicles (Steam, and this is my overall favorite game I bought this year. Got it for 10 or so dollars, and have played this more than any other game this year. Amazing strategy game)

All for PC, and genres were listed above.

Favorite game company this year is a tough one. But I like what SOE has done with their freemium MMOs, and at the very least, attempted to restore Vanguard. Turbine is great for restoring Asheron's Call 2...but too early to say what they plan to do with it. Can't really think of any other company off the top of my head that isn't a non-mmo company. There is Bethesda, and while they are still doing DLCs for Skyrim...that feels more like they would be better listed in a 2011 census thread, than a 2012 one.

Favorite digital store is probably GOG...I found them earlier this year and have used them quite a bit. Steam would be up there...but they obviously don't check the games before putting them on their store. I used Steam more than GOG...but overall, GOG wins for me.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

-What are your favorite game(s) you bought this year?  GW2

-Were they for PC, console or a mix of both? PC

-What genre were they in? (strategy, rpg, mmo...etc...) RPG

-What do you think was the best game company this year? Anet

-If bought digital, what store did you buy from most (steam, amazon, GOG...etc) -

imageimage
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    max payne 3

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

What are your favorite game(s) you bought this year? "Dark Souls: prepare to die" and lot more but I didn't bothered to mention crap like MoP and/or D3 etc.

-Were they for PC, console or a mix of both?    PC

-What genre were they in? (strategy, rpg, mmo...etc...)  RPG

-What do you think was the best game company this year?    Valve

-If bought digital, what store did you buy from most (steam, amazon, GOG...etc)   Steam

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    btw, if you like older pc games, gog has just now all their christmas sales at once :) (for 20 more hrs)
  • catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I see a lot of people put borderlands 2, I got it in the steam sale, not having played the first one, but I just can't get into it, cant really see what the fuss us about.

Anyway mainstream - dishonoured, farcry 3, Torchlight 2
    Mmo - ps2 (gw2 and tsw were ok though, vast improvement on past few years mmos)
    Indie - fly'n, war of the roses, orcs must die 2, closure

Borderlands is really good coop game. Borderlands is a lot of fun when playing with friends. Playing Borderlands as a single player game is not as interesting. For coop playing Borderlands 2 & Mass Effect 3 were the real standouts.