Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone Recommend me a tablet please?

KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

Hey guys,

My son is after a Tablet. I know absolutely nothing about them, We tryed the Galaxy Note 10.1, We both really liked it. Before we go ahead and buy it is there an alternative to the Note 10.1? I think it's about £330.

He only really wants it for little Gaming APPS and web browsing, He wants to spend as little as possible because it's his Christmas money but doesn't want anything thats going to be rubbish.

Like I said I'm absolutely lost when it comes to Tablets and Smart phones, Starting to sound like my dad. :)

Any recommendations?

Thanks In Advance, Kane.

(P.S No I-Pad. Thanks.)

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Note is the best current tablet on the market that is inexpensive.
  • KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Cleffy
    Note is the best current tablet on the market that is inexpensive.

Thanks, thats all I wanted to know.

Cheers.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Asus TF 300: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-transformer-pad-tf300-t-10-1-tablet-with-docking-station-13657744-pdt.html

You can have it with or without the keyboard dock (in which case it will be cheaper, around 300). In any case it has good battery life and quadcore tegra processor which should be good for games.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Nexus 10 or note for a bigun
    Nexus 7 for a smallun
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I got my 12 year old a used nook for 59 bucks loaded all the angry birds stuff and disabled the credit card on it. That way if she wants to get anything else the nook has to come to me.

Honestly that is all she wanted was angry birds, until last night then she brought me the nook and wanted about 120 in books, and that did not happen.

• RykerRyker Member UncommonPosts: 207

Ive been looking at them to here lately. I think the Nexus 7 with 32gb $250 by google would probably be a good choice for him if he just wants some gaming and web browseing. Something cheaper would be the Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7in if he wants to take pictures and hook to the television, you can get a refurbishished one of these for $149 at walmart.com when their in stock. Nexus has the faster processer and would be better for gaming.

Something to note you probably dont want to buy one that doesnt have the google play store installed on it as it has the most apps. I think the amazon app store is ok but not as big as google.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Which tablet is best depends very strongly on what you're going to do with it.

If gaming is the purpose and he's going to use it for years, then you might want to know that buying a new tablet today is kind of like buying a PlayStation 3 the month before PlayStation 4 launches.  The new generation of tablets that is coming very soon is a huge leap forward in gaming capabilities.  The Google Nexus 10 and iPad 4 are part of the new generation on the CPU side, and some AMD-based tablets running Windows 7 or 8 are there on the graphics side, but there aren't yet any tablet chips that are there are on both sides.

Nvidia Tegra 4 will, and is rumored to launch as soon as next week, though rumors are sometimes wrong and "launch" doesn't necessarily mean "available to buy in stores".  AMD Temash is coming around the middle of 2013.  Most likely someone will make a tablet with a quad core Cortex A15 and a high-ish end version of PowerVR Rogue (SGX series 6) graphics, which would be the nearest competitor to Tegra 4.