Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF a new mmo&home

XivikXivik Member Posts: 10

Hey there! I've been lurking around for the last couple of weeks trying to find something to peak my interest but it's not going all too well, hence I hope some of you guys can point me in the right direction.

little background: I started out with mmo's when I was younger playing tibia. a topdown old 2d mmo game. After getting a pc that was able to handle things better I stepped over to wow a few months after it came out. Played that on and off over the last 8 years. In between I tried some rift, swtor and gw2. Although none of them seem to keep me interested. I get bored easily unfortunately.

Positives in the games:

gw2 - combat/graphics/pvp

WoW- streamlined pve, easy to get into groupplay, plenty of people around, great control over abilities

Rift: dynamic content, diverse classes, easy to switch around roles.

swtor: Story, "setting", inclusion of weak enemies with stronger ones so as to give you a feel of being powerful.

______

What am I looking for?

Well I love mmo's and I sure as hell would like to play an MMO again. However all 4 of the ones mentioned above have big turn offs for me. WoW I'm just burned out of and even though I sometimes give it another try, it's too familiar, too easy unless you raid hardcore.

Out of the ones above I'm liking gw2 the best for it's combat, however it's mostly about map exploration(which doesn't have value for me) and pvp. Although I enjoy pvp in the game, I just can't bring myself through the leveling process. There is no sense of character development, it feels like once you unlock the skills and weapon swaps, your character development is practically done.

in short: 

I'm looking for fun/engaging combat. great community/guilds combined with a good pve and pvp content. In general a combination of traditional mmo's but with combat that's exciting, that I need to think and react  instead of pressing 22222 while standing still and picking my nose with the other hand. 

What I've found so far that might be what I'm looking for although I don't have a lot of info about these games yet are defiance and the elder scrolls online. 

I'd appreciate any help but in any case I thank you for taking the time to read through! :)

Comments

• XivikXivik Member Posts: 10

To eleborate a bit, that action combat isn't the end all, be all. I'm mainly looking for something new, something other then the standard of wow/rift/swtor.

It's what I enjoyed back then in Tibia, doing your own things, training yourselves, the combat in that game was just pure auto attack, the fear of death gave it the excitement it needed. Too bad that game ended for me due to the absolutely horrible community,  it made wow's community look like the utopia of peace.

I'm very much looking for an mmorpg that supports guildplay, a great community, doesn't have to be as masive as wow. Enough people to do stuff with is fine. I play an mmo for the game and most importantly playing the game together. Afaik the last few years in wow/swtor/rift etc guilds just became an easy way to get your 2 days a week raid done for gear. I'm looking for an mmo where being in your guild matters, socialness matters. Although I'm not sure if it's the style of games that promotes that or if it's just that the "younger" generation only cares about their loot and instant gratification.

added since I forgot in the OP, I don't mind f2p/b2p or p2p. Aslong as it's not pay to win.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Xivik

To eleborate a bit, that action combat isn't the end all, be all. I'm mainly looking for something new, something other then the standard of wow/rift/swtor.

It's what I enjoyed back then in Tibia, doing your own things, training yourselves, the combat in that game was just pure auto attack, the fear of death gave it the excitement it needed. Too bad that game ended for me due to the absolutely horrible community,  it made wow's community look like the utopia of peace.

I'm very much looking for an mmorpg that supports guildplay, a great community, doesn't have to be as masive as wow. Enough people to do stuff with is fine. I play an mmo for the game and most importantly playing the game together. Afaik the last few years in wow/swtor/rift etc guilds just became an easy way to get your 2 days a week raid done for gear. I'm looking for an mmo where being in your guild matters, socialness matters. Although I'm not sure if it's the style of games that promotes that or if it's just that the "younger" generation only cares about their loot and instant gratification.

added since I forgot in the OP, I don't mind f2p/b2p or p2p. Aslong as it's not pay to win.

Give TSW a try -- I think you might like the change of setting.  Very much X-Files/Indiana Jones/Lovecraft.  Here's an article on Massively that sums up pretty much why I like it:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/why-i-play-the-secret-world/

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         I'd probably lean towards something that is free to try, at least at first....I thought TSW was pretty crappy and definitely not worth 30 bucks.....Vanguard, LoTRO, EQ, EQ2, AO are all better games and have f2p options......
  • MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

hmm...

try aion tsw or ro2 :3

or you can always play LoL NA with me heh XD

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• XivikXivik Member Posts: 10

I tried looking at TSW but from everything I've seen from it and read about it I never once got a feeling of "i wanna play this!".

I've been reading abit about darkfallUW, but it seems to get plenty of negative comments and the devs seems so incredibly unreliable I don't know if I want to even bother with it.

I just don't know if theres any mmo anymore that can give me what I want. A community, a big free world, pvp and pve. Tibia had most of it, it made you feel alive, gave you a thrill, heck once I got a bit higher lvl I was scared to even run from my house to town. You didn't mindlessly run into the lower floors of dungeons, you made sure yu were on your toes ready to get the hell back up when you went down a ladder. Problem in that game was the death penalty was a little too harsh, not only did you drop your gear, you lost skills, between 2 and 10% of your total exp. your bags and dropped gear. That combined with a ton of powerabusers that botted their way to the top made the game more about standing in front of my house crafting runes, making a small fortune.

Darkfall for example seems to want to offer that same kind of thrill in a better way however I'm hearing so much crap about it. I guess I'm just out of luck

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

EQ2, check it out. or Vanguard

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

Avoid Darkfall. At least until after the game has actually launched before you throw the money down.

Final Fantasy XIV ARR is worth a look. 

• immortal111immortal111 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Sure you don't want to get back in to Tibia? Me and a bunch of other English speakers started recently on Hiberna, the leading guild lets us level and its been a shitload of fun. There's like 50+ people in the guild so far and its extremely active. If you want to send me a pm!
  • Kozmo14Kozmo14 Member UncommonPosts: 53

I'm in the same boat as you bro. I just got back from Afghanistan a few months ago and can't seem to find anything that catches my interest.

I started out on FFXI and have gone back and forth between that and wow for a few years, playing a lot of stuff in between. Since coming back I've picked up wow again for MP but that only held my interest for so long. I've retried rift and vanguard as well but just can't get into them. I played FFXIV back in 2010 which was crap, but I am getting pretty excited about the re-release coming soon. In the mean time I just gonna hover over this thread and see if anyone can come up with some other recommendations.

Games. Music. Metal. ROLL TIDE!!!

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

Vanguard.

People suggested that to me and despite my initially wanting something else - this world is amazing. 

The classes are outstanding -- it was refreshing to read up on classes in a new game! :)  I had been WoW'd-out for sometime now and it was so cool to see the many classes offered in Vanguard.  Also the bard class is NOT a healer.  Play it now!

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    I just tried Vanguard for a few hours.  The world seemed very dreary and the artwork was uninspiring.  The combat felt slow and tedious, just like many other MMOs.  The animations were definitely sub-par, by today's standards.  For example, your character's shoulders, torso, and hips don't move when running.  It reminded me of cartoons where they only move their legs and forearms.