Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively.com - "Age of Wushu is probably the greatest sandbox you'll never play"

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

It may be a sandbox, it may have a large world, it may very well have the largest city in any game ever made, it may have housing, it may have a player economy, it may have good crafting...it doesnt have a good story nor does it have great gameplay.

The two things not being spoken about...the story and the actual gameplay. Much like the much touted "dodge" in Tera combat, the combat in AoW is a one trick poney that doesnt really do anything to enhance gameplay...added to a story that doesnt mean a thing, like Teras, AoW is not going to hold many people in Western nations...especially when you throw in that it isnt bringing anything new to the genre, nor doing any one thing better than other MMORPGs.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93
    I'm so tired of resources dedicated to stories and cutscenes that take me out of the virtual world im playing in , I'd be glad to see a dev say here we are making a huge virtual world , tons of open ended gameplay , and we aren't spending any time making a story , any time we spend will be on gameplay and world resources.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Just like I said on the Massively article. the game has massive potential and all the right features, but again, it fails in the UI/Control department so much that I can't consider it a good game.  If those things change, and I would be glad to try the game out once they do, then I'll change my tune.  Until then, it's another easter F2P that doesn't get the control/UI character feedback that the west craves.
  • MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93
    Ill admit Elocke , even as someone who can tolerate bad translations and enjoy Asian themes , the overall state of the UI atm will keep me from playing this. The lack of customization and just "off" UI made me feel like I was fighting playing as much as playing.
    I wonder if they realize just how huge of a game it could be here if they really had worked on a great UI and made the initial experience easier - and I don't mean gameplay easier - meaning just the controls and UI etc.
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Originally posted by elocke
    Just like I said on the Massively article. the game has massive potential and all the right features, but again, it fails in the UI/Control department so much that I can't consider it a good game.  If those things change, and I would be glad to try the game out once they do, then I'll change my tune.  Until then, it's another easter F2P that doesn't get the control/UI character feedback that the west craves.

Control? Whats wrong with it? Flying and doing acrobatic tricks is awesome, no issues here

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Control? Whats wrong with it? Flying and doing acrobatic tricks is awesome, no issues here

It's how you do it, not the actual tricks and acrobats.  It's the clicking a button to make them happen as opposed to just hitting space a few times in succession.  It ends up making me fumble with the controls and isn't familiar at all and from what I can tell so far, unchangeable in the settings.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

After I got to... 

Cash shop catastrophe, part one and Cash shop catastrophe, part deux

in the article I lost any and all interest... 

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

It's how you do it, not the actual tricks and acrobats.  It's the clicking a button to make them happen as opposed to just hitting space a few times in succession.  It ends up making me fumble with the controls and isn't familiar at all and from what I can tell so far, unchangeable in the settings.

wait what? Hitting space a few times in succession is exactly how you do it,

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak

For the first couple skills anyways.

But really space + space = double jump. space + space + space = double jump into whirlwind jump

space + double tap and hold direction (wasd) = jump and dash in that direction

From there shift and control become the modifiers for everything else, and yes, you can press esc and change the keybinds.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

but how is this game sandboxy?

you dont loose anything when you die, sure you can pk ppl like in any other game and you get red name nothing more

this doesnt make it a sandbox

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Too bad it's from Snail Games otherwise I would have looked at this game.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• WalicWalic Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by saurus123

you dont loose anything when you die, sure you can pk ppl like in any other game and you get red name nothing more

Do you even know what a Sandbox game is?

the reason you listed dont make a sandbox game.  Open world PVP, no classes, no levels, no direction, player economy, player houseing, indepth crafting those are main sandbox characteristics. Don't troll b/c you don't like that game.

• bulldog1963bulldog1963 Member Posts: 9
    Do you people actually realize you are arguing over people's opinions?  Whatever each of you finds to be the best game (for me EvE is hands down best "sandbox" and SWTOR, despite its hiccups at the start, is the best "themepark") and most enjoyable is THE best game.  You can't call someone's opinion wrong.  That's just crazy.  Opinions are subjective.  Rating best anything, by-and-large is subjective.  Without any definative standards placed upon anything rated, all is just opinion/preference.
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by jtcgs

It may be a sandbox, it may have a large world, it may very well have the largest city in any game ever made, it may have housing, it may have a player economy, it may have good crafting...it doesnt have a good story nor does it have great gameplay.

The two things not being spoken about...the story and the actual gameplay. Much like the much touted "dodge" in Tera combat, the combat in AoW is a one trick poney that doesnt really do anything to enhance gameplay...added to a story that doesnt mean a thing, like Teras, AoW is not going to hold many people in Western nations...especially when you throw in that it isnt bringing anything new to the genre, nor doing any one thing better than other MMORPGs.

A lot of people are not interested in story in their MMOs. They want a world where they can build their own story and don't feel restrained by what some dev thought was a cool "you're the hero of awesome" storyline. They don't like having to run errands for NPCs and grind stupid mobs to advance.

One of the recent major trainwrecks of MMO history (SWTOR) proves that a heavy focus on story is detrimental for the long-time health of an MMO. A virtual world-style game primarily needs multiple tools for meaningful player interaction, not hours of scripted story content that isolates the player from the rest of the world.

AoW is not about story, it's about interacting with other players and participating in the player-run world. You can of course play it like a generic PvE game too if you like since there are thousands of quests. You'll miss the major attractions of the game but it's certainly possible.

As for the gameplay, it may not appeal to everyone but that's not necessarily a problem. Martial arts combat with flying skills is a unique and pretty addicting playstyle once you get into it. Together with the oPvP and overall depth/complexity of the game, it will attract and hold a commmited niche playerbase, much like EVE. Thank god for that, we don't want the WoW hordes and content locusts around anyway.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Yeah i thought that myself but the fact is he hasn't even played the game lol. When someone comments on a game they have not played how can we take them seriously.

Have you notice he didn't reply to your post lol.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Walic

the reason you listed dont make a sandbox game.  Open world PVP, no classes, no levels, no direction, player economy, player houseing, indepth crafting those are main sandbox characteristics. Don't troll b/c you don't like that game.

It's missing an important defining feature of a true sandbox. Thus some of us will deny calling it a sandbox.

Not everyone is a troll for having his own opinion. You'll have to live with it.

Originally posted by StarI

It's missing an important defining feature of a true sandbox. Thus some of us will deny calling it a sandbox.

Not everyone is a troll for having his own opinion. You'll have to live with it.

And what is that feature?

Anyway Age Of Wushu is a hybrid mmo just like ArcheAge and Vanguard, it's not a totally sandbox but its close.

• DaveykzDaveykz Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Y'know when I was a kid in the sandbox, I used to just grab the sand and sprinkle it around, especially over my arms. Sure, sometimes I just tossed it around, but for the most part I enjoyed just holding it.
    Originally posted by Daveykz
    Y'know when I was a kid in the sandbox, I used to just grab the sand and sprinkle it around, especially over my arms. Sure, sometimes I just tossed it around, but for the most part I enjoyed just holding it.

That's an original saying...not.

Hybrid is good enough for us who like Age Of Wushu.

• DaveykzDaveykz Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by Daveykz

That's an original saying...not.

Hybrid is good enough for us who like Age Of Wushu.

I guess you were the playground bully, then?

Or maybe a "swings and monkey bars only" type.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Yeah i thought that myself but the fact is he hasn't even played the game lol. When someone comments on a game they have not played how can we take them seriously.

Yeah please let's avoid answering blatant trolls that never even loaded the game.

Every time a new game comes out you have people  exalting it and then you have no life trolls that have to come out and shit on itbecause so their pathetic life is more tolerable.

Originally posted by Rusque

For the first couple skills anyways.

But really space + space = double jump. space + space + space = double jump into whirlwind jump

space + double tap and hold direction (wasd) = jump and dash in that direction

From there shift and control become the modifiers for everything else, and yes, you can press esc and change the keybinds.

Except, I'm not a keybinder and I use the mouse and the 2 buttons to move along with WASD in other games and this game takes that natural feel away from me.  I've tried to make the controls work for me, they just don't.

How do you know if I've played the game or not?  Which I have, the very first closed beta test I played it.  I couldnt' get immersed into or enjoy it because of how non WoW/Rift/Lotro/EQ2 heck even GW2 or Tera like the controls WEREN'T.  Comprende?  Also, these are FORUMS, you can't expect someone to reply right away, heck it may be a day or 2 before I even get back to a comment I made.  Life and work and all that other stuff kind of takes priority from coming here to point out your horrible arguing skills.  ;D

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    @ Elocke

I think your comments about the controls come off as trolling because they're not based in reality.

If you played the game you'll know that you can rebind the keys and also that you get to choose control scheme the first time you log in.

Most people seem to prefer space and wasd (plus shift for the more advanced stuff), when jumping and flying. I do it myself and the controls have never felt awkward to me.

So instead bashing a game you obviously know very little about, do some more research and perhaps your criticism will be taken more seriously.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

but

there are lvls (skill lvls and inner lvls and meridian lvls)

there are classes (buffers, healers and tanks yes there are in wushu)

there is direction (farming reputation to be able to run better instances)

crafting like in any other mmo