Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Massively.com - "Age of Wushu is probably the greatest sandbox you'll never play"

Comments

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Kalispell, MTPosts: 88Member
    Originally posted by Theocritus
        The martial arts and asian overtones of this game don't make it seem very appealing.....let us know when someone has a good fantasy sandbox

ArcheAge to name one, why hate so much. Maybe provide something constructive.

Wurm Online to

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,281Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rwyan

I have attempted many times to play this game.  I've lost myself a few hours into this game here and there simply because I've tried to convince myself that the wonderfulness will just eventually reveal itself to me.  It seems many players experience some sort of epiphany at some point.... I simply don't quite "get it".

There does seem to be something fairly deep here... life skills, various martial arts schools, cultivation, practice, spying, kidnapping, jail, patrols, etc...  However, it is all hidden by awful translation and an equally awful interface.  The only thing truly accessible is the cash shop :)

hahah, cash shop translated perfectly, huh lol.

Ask questions. Ask a lot. if people don't respond by the 3 time, they don't know either. Instead of trying to learn how to do everything, I learned how to make my rounds. Focus on the things you need to do to make it through the day.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,221Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by IIIcurrier
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Originally posted by Paradigm68
    Sub + p2w cash shop?  Yeah I don't think so.

There's no subscription.

If you can only play an hour a day in this sort of game then a subscription is required.

Jesus on a stick,

This is only during CB2 as I just said last page on this very thread.

CB2 which is 8 more days. K? Comprehend? Got it now?

Don't get your big boy panties all in a twist.  I read what you wrote.  Where did they say it's only for their beta and what have they said their pricing plan is?  Just because you say something doesn't really mean anything, at all.

And let's be real here a paid closed beta is bullshit.  It's not a real beta if you're paying to play it.  It's a product they've sold.  You can slap "alpha" on it and it would still be crap.

Go to the site and read up a bit. I'm sure Grays frustration comes from all the info being a click away, if you're interested. 

http://www.ageofwushu.com/home/

I see that a lot with this game, a link to go read somewhere else instead of people just answering the question.  I looked at the front page and read the 3 question FAQ.  It doesn't say anything about 10 days free and one hour a day.  So it's obviously not just a click away.

The game sounded interesting, but if it's subscription or severely crippled and limited free play then I don't want to waste my time.

Front page, right hand corner saying "try it now"

" Try Age of Wushu for free! With the start of the beta Dec 20th all registered players can explore the grandeur of Age of Wushu –for free! – on a limited trial basis. 10 hours of free play, with 60 minutes per day after"

I finally found that. If you take the "home/" off the link then that blurb is shown on the page.

However, that doesn't answer my question or dismiss my point.  My point was that if you only get one hour a day as a free player then a subscription is required.  Then some emo dude nerd raged how it was only for closed beta and of course the fans all forum zerged to his defense without even thinking it through.

The game is in closed beta but there will be no character wipe.  You're essentially paying for the game now (soft launch) but it's a selective membership.  There isn't any indication that the business or payment model will change.  Thus my question, does anyone know for sure if the restrictions on free play will remain?  If so, then it's a funnel towards a cash shop and a subscription at once.  That's not something I'm interested in even if the game is decent.

I don't mind pay to win, most games have some measure of it in some form or another, but I'm not interested in a sub game anymore.  That's why I asked how the sub / free play thing works so I don't waste my time.

Originally posted by IIIcurrier
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Originally posted by Paradigm68
    Sub + p2w cash shop?  Yeah I don't think so.

There's no subscription.

If you can only play an hour a day in this sort of game then a subscription is required.

Jesus on a stick,

This is only during CB2 as I just said last page on this very thread.

CB2 which is 8 more days. K? Comprehend? Got it now?

Don't get your big boy panties all in a twist.  I read what you wrote.  Where did they say it's only for their beta and what have they said their pricing plan is?  Just because you say something doesn't really mean anything, at all.

And let's be real here a paid closed beta is bullshit.  It's not a real beta if you're paying to play it.  It's a product they've sold.  You can slap "alpha" on it and it would still be crap.

Go to the site and read up a bit. I'm sure Grays frustration comes from all the info being a click away, if you're interested. 

http://www.ageofwushu.com/home/

I see that a lot with this game, a link to go read somewhere else instead of people just answering the question.  I looked at the front page and read the 3 question FAQ.  It doesn't say anything about 10 days free and one hour a day.  So it's obviously not just a click away.

The game sounded interesting, but if it's subscription or severely crippled and limited free play then I don't want to waste my time.

Front page, right hand corner saying "try it now"

" Try Age of Wushu for free! With the start of the beta Dec 20th all registered players can explore the grandeur of Age of Wushu –for free! – on a limited trial basis. 10 hours of free play, with 60 minutes per day after"

I finally found that. If you take the "home/" off the link then that blurb is shown on the page.

However, that doesn't answer my question or dismiss my point.  My point was that if you only get one hour a day as a free player then a subscription is required.  Then some emo dude nerd raged how it was only for closed beta and of course the fans all forum zerged to his defense without even thinking it through.

The game is in closed beta but there will be no character wipe.  You're essentially paying for the game now (soft launch) but it's a selective membership.  There isn't any indication that the business or payment model will change.  Thus my question, does anyone know for sure if the restrictions on free play will remain?  If so, then it's a funnel towards a cash shop and a subscription at once.  That's not something I'm interested in even if the game is decent.

I don't mind pay to win, most games have some measure of it in some form or another, but I'm not interested in a sub game anymore.  That's why I asked how the sub / free play thing works so I don't waste my time.

image This is your free option of CB2. 10 hours, then 1 hour per day. If you feel someone is trying to trick you, maybe you should wait...

• PainlezzPainlezz Laguna Hills, CAPosts: 620Member Uncommon

Unfortunately myself and most MMO players will never play a pay-2-rent style game.  I cannot stand the terribad azn MMO's popping out these days with rentable inventory, mounts, and other stuff.  If you pay money for a mount you should keep it forever.  If you pay money to unlock bag slots, you should keep forever.

I hope more players start to catch on that they should be paying for NEW content, not the ability to continue using old stuff...

Originally posted by Painlezz

Unfortunately myself and most MMO players will never play a pay-2-rent style game.  I cannot stand the terribad azn MMO's popping out these days with rentable inventory, mounts, and other stuff.  If you pay money for a mount you should keep it forever.  If you pay money to unlock bag slots, you should keep forever.

I hope more players start to catch on that they should be paying for NEW content, not the ability to continue using old stuff...

I've seen a lot confusion around this. 

Bag slots - Each tab (equipment, items, supplies etc) has 2 bag slots. These are permanent. They never leave. You place player made bags into those slots, 6, 8, 10 w/e. Those player made bags deteriorate. You do not buy "bag space from the cash shop." like you would buy inventory space in gw2. 

Costumes -  ig. GW2 boxing gloves, or TSW clothing sets. They deteriorate. Who wants to ware the samething for months though. If you do, what's wrong with paying 3 bucks? If they are guilty of trying to make money, it's here.

Mounts - You will have these coming out you arse. Unless things change, you will never have to buy a mount. 

image This is your free option of CB2. 10 hours, then 1 hour per day. If you feel someone is trying to trick you, maybe you should wait...

I never said anything about tricking.  It's a simple question.  The game is in soft launch.  Will the free play system remain as it is with time restrictions or will it be different?  What is the payment system going to be like?  What will be accessible and what will be restricted?

You know, for answers that are just one click away no one seems to be able to answer my question.  You can imagine the frustration I'm sure.

Originally posted by Painlezz

I agree.  I'm done with subs for the same reason I won't rent cash shop items.  I'm tired of renting my games for more money.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

There are some things about this game I find most interesting especially with the politics.  I'm not a huge fan of contrived factions, but they seem to make sense.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Nada, FLPosts: 576Member

I finally found that. If you take the "home/" off the link then that blurb is shown on the page. However, that doesn't answer my question or dismiss my point.  My point was that if you only get one hour a day as a free player then a subscription is required.  Then some emo dude nerd raged how it was only for closed beta and of course the fans all forum zerged to his defense without even thinking it through. The game is in closed beta but there will be no character wipe.  You're essentially paying for the game now (soft launch) but it's a selective membership.  There isn't any indication that the business or payment model will change.  Thus my question, does anyone know for sure if the restrictions on free play will remain?  If so, then it's a funnel towards a cash shop and a subscription at once.  That's not something I'm interested in even if the game is decent. I don't mind pay to win, most games have some measure of it in some form or another, but I'm not interested in a sub game anymore.  That's why I asked how the sub / free play thing works so I don't waste my time.

I never said anything about tricking.  It's a simple question.  The game is in soft launch.  Will the free play system remain as it is with time restrictions or will it be different?  What is the payment system going to be like?  What will be accessible and what will be restricted?

You know, for answers that are just one click away no one seems to be able to answer my question.  You can imagine the frustration I'm sure.

http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2628
  • jtcgsjtcgs New Port Richey, ILPosts: 1,777Member

It may be a sandbox, it may have a large world, it may very well have the largest city in any game ever made, it may have housing, it may have a player economy, it may have good crafting...it doesnt have a good story nor does it have great gameplay.

The two things not being spoken about...the story and the actual gameplay. Much like the much touted "dodge" in Tera combat, the combat in AoW is a one trick poney that doesnt really do anything to enhance gameplay...added to a story that doesnt mean a thing, like Teras, AoW is not going to hold many people in Western nations...especially when you throw in that it isnt bringing anything new to the genre, nor doing any one thing better than other MMORPGs.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2628

Thank you.  I will keep watching this.

• parrotpholkparrotpholk Leland, NCPosts: 3,275Member
    Originally posted by jtcgs

It may be a sandbox, it may have a large world, it may very well have the largest city in any game ever made, it may have housing, it may have a player economy, it may have good crafting...it doesnt have a good story nor does it have great gameplay.

The two things not being spoken about...the story and the actual gameplay. Much like the much touted "dodge" in Tera combat, the combat in AoW is a one trick poney that doesnt really do anything to enhance gameplay...added to a story that doesnt mean a thing, like Teras, AoW is not going to hold many people in Western nations...especially when you throw in that it isnt bringing anything new to the genre, nor doing any one thing better than other MMORPGs.

Will it break records in the west? nope.  But then its not a COD, instant gratification, hand holding, or a solo everything affair so for those reasons alone it will be niche in the western market.  EVE is niche and it is doing just fine and I expect AoW will be just fine as well.  Word of mouth on the whole is positive and cash shops are becoming common place.

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Hoover, ALPosts: 93Member
    I'm so tired of resources dedicated to stories and cutscenes that take me out of the virtual world im playing in , I'd be glad to see a dev say here we are making a huge virtual world , tons of open ended gameplay , and we aren't spending any time making a story , any time we spend will be on gameplay and world resources.
  • elockeelocke Manassas, VAPosts: 4,205Member Uncommon
    Just like I said on the Massively article. the game has massive potential and all the right features, but again, it fails in the UI/Control department so much that I can't consider it a good game.  If those things change, and I would be glad to try the game out once they do, then I'll change my tune.  Until then, it's another easter F2P that doesn't get the control/UI character feedback that the west craves.
  • MMOdad72MMOdad72 Hoover, ALPosts: 93Member
    Ill admit Elocke , even as someone who can tolerate bad translations and enjoy Asian themes , the overall state of the UI atm will keep me from playing this. The lack of customization and just "off" UI made me feel like I was fighting playing as much as playing.
    I wonder if they realize just how huge of a game it could be here if they really had worked on a great UI and made the initial experience easier - and I don't mean gameplay easier - meaning just the controls and UI etc.
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk St-petersburgPosts: 1,351Member
    Originally posted by elocke
    Just like I said on the Massively article. the game has massive potential and all the right features, but again, it fails in the UI/Control department so much that I can't consider it a good game.  If those things change, and I would be glad to try the game out once they do, then I'll change my tune.  Until then, it's another easter F2P that doesn't get the control/UI character feedback that the west craves.

Control? Whats wrong with it? Flying and doing acrobatic tricks is awesome, no issues here

• elockeelocke Manassas, VAPosts: 4,205Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Control? Whats wrong with it? Flying and doing acrobatic tricks is awesome, no issues here

It's how you do it, not the actual tricks and acrobats.  It's the clicking a button to make them happen as opposed to just hitting space a few times in succession.  It ends up making me fumble with the controls and isn't familiar at all and from what I can tell so far, unchangeable in the settings.

• JyiigaJyiiga Seneca, SCPosts: 1,042Member Uncommon

After I got to... 

Cash shop catastrophe, part one and Cash shop catastrophe, part deux

in the article I lost any and all interest... 

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Nada, FLPosts: 576Member

It's how you do it, not the actual tricks and acrobats.  It's the clicking a button to make them happen as opposed to just hitting space a few times in succession.  It ends up making me fumble with the controls and isn't familiar at all and from what I can tell so far, unchangeable in the settings.

wait what? Hitting space a few times in succession is exactly how you do it,

• RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVPosts: 2,229Member Uncommon

wait what? Hitting space a few times in succession is exactly how you do it,

For the first couple skills anyways.

But really space + space = double jump. space + space + space = double jump into whirlwind jump

space + double tap and hold direction (wasd) = jump and dash in that direction

From there shift and control become the modifiers for everything else, and yes, you can press esc and change the keybinds.

• saurus123saurus123 nonePosts: 570Member Uncommon

but how is this game sandboxy?

you dont loose anything when you die, sure you can pk ppl like in any other game and you get red name nothing more

this doesnt make it a sandbox

• AkulasAkulas GoldcoastPosts: 1,619Member Uncommon
    Too bad it's from Snail Games otherwise I would have looked at this game.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• WalicWalic Fort Polk, LAPosts: 41Member
    Originally posted by saurus123

but how is this game sandboxy?

you dont loose anything when you die, sure you can pk ppl like in any other game and you get red name nothing more

this doesnt make it a sandbox

Do you even know what a Sandbox game is?

the reason you listed dont make a sandbox game.  Open world PVP, no classes, no levels, no direction, player economy, player houseing, indepth crafting those are main sandbox characteristics. Don't troll b/c you don't like that game.

• bulldog1963bulldog1963 Phoenix, AZPosts: 9Member
    Do you people actually realize you are arguing over people's opinions?  Whatever each of you finds to be the best game (for me EvE is hands down best "sandbox" and SWTOR, despite its hiccups at the start, is the best "themepark") and most enjoyable is THE best game.  You can't call someone's opinion wrong.  That's just crazy.  Opinions are subjective.  Rating best anything, by-and-large is subjective.  Without any definative standards placed upon anything rated, all is just opinion/preference.
  • BiskopBiskop AvalonPosts: 709Member
    Originally posted by jtcgs

A lot of people are not interested in story in their MMOs. They want a world where they can build their own story and don't feel restrained by what some dev thought was a cool "you're the hero of awesome" storyline. They don't like having to run errands for NPCs and grind stupid mobs to advance.

One of the recent major trainwrecks of MMO history (SWTOR) proves that a heavy focus on story is detrimental for the long-time health of an MMO. A virtual world-style game primarily needs multiple tools for meaningful player interaction, not hours of scripted story content that isolates the player from the rest of the world.

AoW is not about story, it's about interacting with other players and participating in the player-run world. You can of course play it like a generic PvE game too if you like since there are thousands of quests. You'll miss the major attractions of the game but it's certainly possible.

As for the gameplay, it may not appeal to everyone but that's not necessarily a problem. Martial arts combat with flying skills is a unique and pretty addicting playstyle once you get into it. Together with the oPvP and overall depth/complexity of the game, it will attract and hold a commmited niche playerbase, much like EVE. Thank god for that, we don't want the WoW hordes and content locusts around anyway.